Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Spoilers usually appear the first week of every month, a fan translation a few days after, and the crunchyroll translation a few more days after the fan tran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sub Harrison posted:

Spoilers usually appear the first week of every month, a fan translation a few days after, and the crunchyroll translation a few more days after the fan tran.

I actually checked before asking, the fan translation appeared on 4/29. :P
That's why I was thinking they are going slightly late this time. At least spoilers should be imminent.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

So the anime's doing some funky stuff this week. They showed Ymir's backstory, her getting kicked injected by Marley soldiers, and almost explicitly stated you get titan powers by eating a previous user.

I think showing the syringe in the Marley soldier's hand was beyond stupid. It was never clear where titans came from until we saw Eren's flashback and Reiss' syringe. I guess next episode they'll outright say Eren ate his dad? It's like they're setting up to skip over the Uprising arc completely.

And showing Marley soldiers before the basement reveal? What are they loving thinking?

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 3, 2017

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Sub Harrison posted:

So the anime's doing some funky stuff this week. They showed Ymir's backstory, her getting kicked injected by Marley soldiers, and almost explicitly stated you get titan powers by eating a previous user.

I think showing the syringe in the Marley soldier's hand was beyond stupid. It was never clear where titans came from until we saw Eren's flashback and Reiss' syringe. I guess next episode they'll outright say Eren ate his dad? It's like they're setting up to skip over the Uprising arc completely.

And showing Marley soldiers before the basement reveal? What are they loving thinking?

Uhhhhhhh holy poo poo that is completely wacky and going to gently caress with anime-only watchers minds. I mean I guess they won't know where those soldiers really come from, but the fact that they will show her getting injected with a syringe is a really big spoiler.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 3, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
This is amazing and excellent.

Better her backstory here than after she's been killed offscreen, and the syringe had already made its appearance early in the series.

Also finally explained how she managed to sneak up on Reiner's group for everyone goons who kept bitching about it.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Sub Harrison posted:

It would make some sense to pare down the uprising arc a bit to get to shinganshina faster. Assuming that it's another 2-3 years til next season and they do another 12 episode season, it's likely that the uprising arc as it was shown in manga would take the full 12 and I think that would kill a lot of the interest in the show. While I thought the arc was good, it was much lower on action and I feel like when you wait 3 years for another season just to get a lot of politics, it can be kind of a let down.

That being said I like the choice to give Ymir's backstory now while she's around and important, rather than after she's dead. I think there were a few too many details about Marley in the flashback, but that's with the knowledge of what was actually being shown -- I'm sure people seeing that for the first time are more confused than anything.

I don't think showing the syringe is game-changing considering Eren sees a syringe in his flashback in season 1, although I guess to anime watchers that confirms that the syringe is directly related to titan-shifting in some way.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
I did not remember Eren seeing a syringe in the first season flashback. If so, that's a less significant spoiler than I thought.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

They perfectly framed the 'executions' so it looks like they're being thrown off from a wall like those encircling Eldian territory, too.

The actual major reveal is the just-short-of-outright-stating-it implication that you get titan shifter powers by eating another one, which is a simple connect the dots to "Eren must've eaten his dad."

vvv

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 3, 2017

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

flowinprose posted:

I did not remember Eren seeing a syringe in the first season flashback. If so, that's a less significant spoiler than I thought.

This is from chapter 10. I remember seeing this scene in season 1 as well but finding the relevant screenshot would be a little more time consuming.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
The new episode wasn't as bad as some of the first things I seen people talking about made it seem like.
These are only spoilers if you know exactly what you are looking at and looking for. As was said, showing Ymir's flashback now makes perfect sense. That was handled badly in the manga.
They make Marley look lovely enough that it just looks like some Medieval style town like what Anime-only watchers have already seen. All I think anyone who is really thinking about the Anime can surmise is that there must be a large Human population outside of what we've so far, which isn't the end of the world if they keep it ambiguous. The Basement reveal will still totally hold weight even if the only thing it reveals is that the world is actually technologically ~WWI-era and that this is basically a prison colony.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Green Tea Erotica posted:

That was handled badly in the manga.

How so?

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

They waited until she wasn't important to the story to show that stuff. Atleast right now in the anime you still don't know exactly what her deal is or who's side she is on, and she is still relevant in a big way. Even though we know she won't be soon.
In the manga the only real impact we got aside from learning a very little bit about Marley (And titan-lore I guess?) was seeing Historia to react to it.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The only bad thing about the flashback is that the info card before the break explicitly says Ymir's hometown is outside the walls. If you remove that, the flashback could be read as happening entirely in the walls (with Ymir and her followers being kicked out rather than into).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

In It For The Tank posted:

The only bad thing about the flashback is that the info card before the break explicitly says Ymir's hometown is outside the walls. If you remove that, the flashback could be read as happening entirely in the walls (with Ymir and her followers being kicked out rather than into).

You're reading too much into that. That she was from outside the Paradis walls was already a given, between her being able to read an unknown language and Reiner and Bert constantly talking about their own 'hometown' that is also outside the walls.

Conspiratiorist posted:

They perfectly framed the 'executions' so it looks like they're being thrown off from a wall like those encircling Eldian territory, too.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

The problem lies more in that it confirms there is a fully functioning society with institutions like police and religion and functioning technology like guns and, most importantly, normal people (that is, non shifters/titans) outside the walls. Sure, we knew from RBAMT that there were people from outside the walls, but Monkey Trouble didn't recognize technology (3DMG gear) and everyone we met was a shifter, so one could believe they were just some kind of backward wildpeople eking out an existence in a titan-infested wilderness, not 20th century Germany.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Yeah I guess they spoiled these outsiders have run-down buildings and guns that look similar to those of the walldians, rather than being a hidden leaf titan ninja village like some people dreamed of.

How awful.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I know, right?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Green Tea Erotica posted:

They waited until she wasn't important to the story to show that stuff. Atleast right now in the anime you still don't know exactly what her deal is or who's side she is on, and she is still relevant in a big way. Even though we know she won't be soon.
In the manga the only real impact we got aside from learning a very little bit about Marley (And titan-lore I guess?) was seeing Historia to react to it.

The point in revealing Ymir's backstory when it does is to show that Marley's aggressions against the Eldian's (and specifically, the Eldian's behind the walls of Paradise Island) are not a new development, but have been ongoing and systematic. It ties into how the enemy has never been the wild titans, but has always been oppression.

Ymir's backstory also reveals that, after she had reawakened when she became a shifter, she found herself free of both her life of oppression and duty of playing the part of the Eldian savior figure. Free of hardship and responsibility, she had literally awoken in Paradise, which shows exactly how much she was giving up by going with Reiner and Bert. Ymir sacrificed her life in paradise for Historia and her people, and now the government of Paradise island is sacrificing the safety of it's walls to help the Eldian's--literally Ymir's people.

It's not that Ymir isn't or is no longer important to the story--it's that Ymir's story is the story. The reveal happening when it does clarifies this.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 3, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

That's actually good, not bad. Anime only people still believe humanity went extinct beyond the current setting (the island), it would be a big spoiling if this flashback would have shown the truth before it's appropriate. Thanks god as you say they can misinterpret it as being people from inside the walls. They will think it was maybe related to the Wall Cult.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Why did Ymir go with them again?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why did Ymir go with them again?

reiner said they could save christa (remember that she knows about what's beyond the walls so there's no reason for her to believe she'd be safe there at that point)

she also did it to save their lives (or at least reiner thinks so) because if they didn't bring something back, they'd have been fed to other people to pass the titan powers on to people more competent. I never got that justification myself tho since ymir's titan was already one marley possessed. they still lost the female and colossal titans and when ymir went with them they'd only lost the first one, so it doesn't make much sense to me

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
There's still a ton of speculation for the anime only plebs to play with.They don't show the ocean, it only looks like a 4th wall, not that the walled country is on an island.

Also, I think we know the real reason they took so long to make this season. Isayama wouldn't give Wit permission until the manga gave the big basement reveal, and only then they mined that material to tease out across the season.

There's a non-zero chance that we might even finish the uprising arc this season as well.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Phobophilia posted:

There's a non-zero chance that we might even finish the uprising arc this season as well.

Nope, this season only has 2 episodes left; it's going to end shortly after Eren uses the Coordinate.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Schwarzwald posted:

The point in revealing Ymir's backstory when it does is to show that Marley's aggressions against the Eldian's (and specifically, the Eldian's behind the walls of Paradise Island) are not a new development, but have been ongoing and systematic. It ties into how the enemy has never been the wild titans, but has always been oppression.

Ymir's backstory also reveals that, after she had reawakened when she became a shifter, she found herself free of both her life of oppression and duty of playing the part of the Eldian savior figure. Free of hardship and responsibility, she had literally awoken in Paradise, which shows exactly how much she was giving up by going with Reiner and Bert. Ymir sacrificed her life in paradise for Historia and her people, and now the government of Paradise island is sacrificing the safety of it's walls to help the Eldian's--literally Ymir's people.

It's not that Ymir isn't or is no longer important to the story--it's that Ymir's story is the story. The reveal happening when it does clarifies this.

I think it also continues the nice parallel between the two as characters. Ymir gave Historia poo poo for abandoning her real name for her second lease on life while saying she didn't (and then we find out Ymir is a fake name given to her) (Granted she couldn't remember her original name/if she had one). She kept going on about living selfishly, wanting to live for only herself, but in the end couldn't help but sacrifice her own well-being to help others--just like she explains she did before in the letter. Historia, even after her own "I'm the worst, the enemy is the rest of humanity/(gently caress you dad)" revelation/spiel... ends up willingly choosing to take a new role to play as Queen instead of live her own life as Ymir wished, and then reads how Ymir had done the same thing.

It... actually, now that I'm thinking on it, makes me worried for Historia. Hope she ends up breaking her character cycle. :ohdear:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

E-flat posted:

I think it also continues the nice parallel between the two as characters. Ymir gave Historia poo poo for abandoning her real name for her second lease on life while saying she didn't (and then we find out Ymir is a fake name given to her) (Granted she couldn't remember her original name/if she had one). She kept going on about living selfishly, wanting to live for only herself, but in the end couldn't help but sacrifice her own well-being to help others--just like she explains she did before in the letter. Historia, even after her own "I'm the worst, the enemy is the rest of humanity/(gently caress you dad)" revelation/spiel... ends up willingly choosing to take a new role to play as Queen instead of live her own life as Ymir wished, and then reads how Ymir had done the same thing.

It... actually, now that I'm thinking on it, makes me worried for Historia. Hope she ends up breaking her character cycle. :ohdear:

The Cycle Remains Unbroken, and the Suffering Will Continue.

The Eldians are not heroes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The Cycle Remains Unbroken, and the Suffering Will Continue.

The Eldians are not heroes.

You're the same person who earlier said the Eldians deserved to be genocided, right?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

You're the same person who earlier said the Eldians deserved to be genocided, right?

Yes he is. He thinks even the children should die.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is amazing and excellent.

Better her backstory here than after she's been killed offscreen, and the syringe had already made its appearance early in the series.

Also finally explained how she managed to sneak up on Reiner's group for everyone goons who kept bitching about it.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

My beef with the syringe is, before the uprising arc, the injection seemed to be something unique to Eren solely. His dad, who's only characteristic was he is a great doctor, gave him a magic drug that lets him turn into a titan. It wasn't until Eren seeing his dad's flashback that the injection only turns you into a pure titan and you still need to eat a shifter to gain control.

Now that the anime's shown all these pure titans being made with shots, it weakens the mystery surrounding Grisha's disapearance.

Also in this episode, Ymir said she was turned into a titan 60 years ago and the commercial break explicitly says it was outside the walls. So now we know theres a whole functioning society outside the walls so humanity did not perish 100 years ago. Severely weakens the basement reveal too.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Sub Harrison posted:

Also in this episode, Ymir said she was turned into a titan 60 years ago and the commercial break explicitly says it was outside the walls. So now we know theres a whole functioning society outside the walls so humanity did not perish 100 years ago. Severely weakens the basement reveal too.

Keep in mind, the whole reveal that there are people overseas felt so out of left field that it took pretty much everyone by surprise. Stuff seems very obvious once you know what to look for but it isn't as clear if you don't. From what I can tell from the anime thread, people think there must be villages of shifters outside the walls or that the wall-cult people are somehow responsible for this.

edit: or not, apparently someone just pointed out in that thread that the uniforms the soldiers are wearing aren't matched by anyone in the military. So yeah that probably wont help things.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 4, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the stuff about how there's no knowledge of the world before the last century happens before the ymir stuff would so that'll probably keep people guessing

someone said that people wouldn't just forget that they used to turn people into titans, but that is actually what happened. just not in the way the anime thread thinks

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sub Harrison posted:

My beef with the syringe is, before the uprising arc, the injection seemed to be something unique to Eren solely. His dad, who's only characteristic was he is a great doctor, gave him a magic drug that lets him turn into a titan. It wasn't until Eren seeing his dad's flashback that the injection only turns you into a pure titan and you still need to eat a shifter to gain control.

Now that the anime's shown all these pure titans being made with shots, it weakens the mystery surrounding Grisha's disapearance.

My assumption ever since S1 had always been that despite the claims of humanity being extinct, the titan shifters were from outside the walls. It just makes sense: the walldians found a way to survive, but that doesn't mean no one else did. Afterwards, Bert and Reiner further reinforce this with all their talk about their 'hometown' as some distant place they want to return, and breaking down the walls as not something that negatively impacts said 'hometown'. So there's somewhere out there where these guys are coming from that has secret knowledge of how titans work, at least specifically how to turn humans into them.

Now, what I and most people with half a brain imagined is that there must be some small village or a city, perhaps, with some means of defense against being overrun by titans.

What Ymir's backstory shows us is that one such place indeed exists, and it's a shantytown in an arid area with an abusive military (the last part, not unlike the people of Paradis). And as a bonus red herring, they frame the executions as people cast off a very tall wall.

This certainly eliminates possibilities out of where Reiner and co. might've come from, but that's a loving longshot to leap from this info to the idea the whole story is taking place in australia while the rest of the world is doing just fine and dandy and already at early 20th century levels of technology.

Basically, it only weakens the reveal if you've somehow gone deep into the rabbit hole of some of the more outlandish pet theories that usually revolve around missing key and obvious details.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I also thought in its day they were coming from a village outside the walls, maybe populated by all-shifters people. But the 'North Korea' scenario took me by surprise, they never had a 'titan apocalypse killing most humanity' scenario that was the basis of the setting at the start.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm pretty sure the whole "it was 60 years ago" thing throws enough heat off of where Ymir's hometown is that anime-only watchers can't really guess anything correctly. It also helped that the priest insisting that Ymir was the one who came to them claiming to have king blood looked as though he was wearing Wall Religion regalia. Hell, he looked like Hange's favorite wall religion pal. Whole thing is still a confusing mess for anime-only folks.

That said, I kinda wonder if they're now trying to make the anime enjoyable for manga readers and not just anime-only watchers. The fact that they explained how she snuck up on Bert and Ernie, the fact that we got so much of her story mere months after the manga did the same stuff, it's really satisfying. The anime lent Ymir a better farewell to her fans in this episode than the manga ever did.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wait they explained how she ate Marcel?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah she just kinda fell asleep in a hole and then got covered in dirt and woke up when they camped nearby.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Also Marcel looked like a pretty cool and heroic dude vs everyone else who were dofus little kids.

I think Reiner adopted his hairstyle after him.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

When that reiss dude was talking about the world ending, does that mean he foresees humanity ending in an apocalyptic event and it's not really about marley invading paradisia? Foreseeing the future is apparently possible since the owl guy had future memories somehow.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the animated beast titan fight is gonna be pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiT00UXwC90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I look forward to seeing levi dismantle the beast titan in the anime