Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

It's not a sell off, Bitfinex stopped all cash withdrawals because they ran out of banks who would work with them so people with cash deposits there tried to convert their cash into bitcoins. This translates into demand for bitcoins, driving the price up. We saw the same rapid price climb for the same reasons back when MtGox stopped cash withdrawals. If you know what happened to MtGox after that, you can probably see what's coming.

Note that Bitfinex is the same exchange that lost a bunch of bitcoins in a hack and decided to give all of their customers a 36% haircut last year, even customers who didn't have any bitcoin deposits. So people who are still investing over there are already dumb as bricks

you're doing god's work, son

i'm proud of you, son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

QuarkJets posted:

It's not a sell off, Bitfinex stopped all cash withdrawals because they ran out of banks who would work with them so people with cash deposits there tried to convert their cash into bitcoins. This translates into demand for bitcoins, driving the price up. We saw the same rapid price climb for the same reasons back when MtGox stopped cash withdrawals. If you know what happened to MtGox after that, you can probably see what's coming.

Note that Bitfinex is the same exchange that lost a bunch of bitcoins in a hack and decided to give all of their customers a 36% haircut last year, even customers who didn't have any bitcoin deposits. So people who are still investing over there are already dumb as bricks

Yeah that makes sense - you said "so everyone is selling their coins on that service" when really "so everyone is buying coins on that service" is what's going on and indeed would lead to the price going up. I dunno who the hell is providing that liquidity but whatever lol.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Millstone posted:

Op what does "Bruce Wagner" and "demo mode" and "goons vibrating a blackberry onto the floor on a live video stream" mean to you????

It's really the small things about Bitcoin that I appreciate. Does anyone have a link to that video?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

QuarkJets posted:

Do you feel this is a representative summary of what happened? Are you leaving anything out that happened afterward?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah that makes sense - you said "so everyone is selling their coins on that service" when really "so everyone is buying coins on that service" is what's going on and indeed would lead to the price going up. I dunno who the hell is providing that liquidity but whatever lol.

I goofed up my phrases but I can answer this: They are allowing people to margin/short 3 1/3 to 1 within the exchange on top of not being able to get actual money in or out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

LethalGeek posted:

I goofed up my phrases but I can answer this: They are allowing people to margin/short 3 1/3 to 1 within the exchange on top of not being able to get actual money in or out.

Ahaha what??? I assume you need an account in good standing or something, how the hell could they possibly enforce a margin call on a bitcoin exchange? I guess maybe you can only short as much as you're holding such that you can always pay back the borrowed bitcoins and aren't actually leveraged, but can accept the risk of the exchange folding in exchange for extra (not-quite) money if bitcoins do fall in price.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Ahaha what??? I assume you need an account in good standing or something, how the hell could they possibly enforce a margin call on a bitcoin exchange? I guess maybe you can only short as much as you're holding such that you can always pay back the borrowed bitcoins and aren't actually leveraged, but can accept the risk of the exchange folding in exchange for extra (not-quite) money if bitcoins do fall in price.

https://www.bitfinex.com/howitworks if you wanna try to make sense of all this have fun

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Do you feel this is a representative summary of what happened? Are you leaving anything out that happened afterward?

Very representative, yes. The 36% haircut was illegal as gently caress, which is why Bitfinex can no longer find any banks in the US willing to work with them.

I guess another point of comedy is that Bitfinex rewarded its scammed users with tokens to represent their accounts' lost value. So if you had deposited $1000 in USD, suddenly your balance dropped to $640 + 360 IOUs for $1. The value of these tokens fell to as low as 50 cents through 2016, and then as if by magic a bunch of margin traders suffered losses from bizarre price swings that occurred on none of the other exchanges, a bunch of the tokens were bought out by the exchange at the new lowered value, and then later they were able to redeem the rest for their original $1 value. These are scams on top of scams on top of scams but their users don't seem to mind, bitcoiners are nothing if not gullible

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Holy poo poo there's two threads deriding goons for making fun of bitcoin lmao

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Waffle House posted:

The funny thing this was the thread from a few months ago when it got over some price...and then crashed a couple weeks later after all the bitcoin idiots were trying to be all smug while the rest of us correctly pointed out it always goes back down. It got bumped to remind us drug selling idiot lost his appeal so he'll be in jail forever.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

LethalGeek posted:

The funny thing this was the thread from a few months ago when it got over some price...and then crashed a couple weeks later after all the bitcoin idiots were trying to be all smug while the rest of us correctly pointed out it always goes back down. It got bumped to remind us drug selling idiot lost his appeal so he'll be in jail forever.

zero seven em eight to the bumper

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I have too much fun arguing when I ultimately don't care.

Also I think we were up to 3 threads.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

LethalGeek posted:

Uh yeah it continued varying but it didn't really significantly crash at all. It's not like whether it's 800 or 1000 is the point - the naysaying goons who've been posting "the money is computer LMFAO!!!!" for five years were, in fact, totally wrong and it's funny that they still keep their threads around as monuments to their incompetence. Turns out bitcoins had the right kind of ram, after all.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Wrong about what?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
How much of the real money value of bitcoin is dependent upon bitcoins position as the payment method of choice for ransomware?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Spatial posted:

Wrong about what?

Bitcoins. All of them. We were wrong about every single Bitcoin.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

drat. :smith:

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Waffle House posted:

There can only ever be 21,000,000 threads making fun of goons about bitcoin. It's deflationary after that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uh yeah it continued varying but it didn't really significantly crash at all. It's not like whether it's 800 or 1000 is the point - the naysaying goons who've been posting "the money is computer LMFAO!!!!" for five years were, in fact, totally wrong and it's funny that they still keep their threads around as monuments to their incompetence. Turns out bitcoins had the right kind of ram, after all.

again, there's nothing wrong about laughing at ross "mycrimes.txt" ulbricht, mark "did nothing wrong" karpeles being so not-wrong that he came out of Japanese prison looking super slim and good, or super-agent CARL MARK FORCE IV

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

and the most not-wrong thing of all: Bitcoin Mining Profit Calculator: Gaiden

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
some dude in the yospos thread made like $1500 amazon bucks. From Dogecoin. Anyone ever make any money from bitcoin?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Anyone ever make any money from bitcoin?

Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka has definitely gotten :10bux: from me so I could laugh at funny coins, plus lots more :10bux: from some bitcoiners who have registered multiple accounts and given us great avatars just to show us how rich they are.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Buttcoin purse posted:

Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka has definitely gotten :10bux: from me so I could laugh at funny coins, plus lots more :10bux: from some bitcoiners who have registered multiple accounts and given us great avatars just to show us how rich they are.

yeah, thats pretty funny too

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Who actually uses bitcoin for anything besides as high risk commodity? Or people cashing out ransom ware fees

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Who actually uses bitcoin for anything besides as high risk commodity? Or people cashing out ransom ware fees

Uh drugs?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

hodl bitch

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LethalGeek posted:

The sentencing hearing was amazing

Judge was like my dude you could be going to prison for a very long times so I don't take this lightly

I went to my cabin by myself and just went on walks and thought about it

I thought about every potential year of your sentence and what it would mean for you and your loved ones and the people whose lives you hurt with your drug Amazon

One million years dungeon don't pass go don't collect poo poo you gonna die in jail ross

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Chinese mining pools getting around ever-tightening currency controls.

I realized bitcoiners are missing a golden opportunity by not convincing red staters who roll coal to get into Bitcoin, considering the massive amount of energy spent and pollution created.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Pole kwa hasara yako [Here comes a scammer, Father]
wahalifu kuiba fedha za [Oh yes, it's a scammer]

From the day we arrive on the blockchain
And blinking, step around the scum
There's more to steal than can ever be stolen
More to do than can ever be done
There's far too much to lose in here
More to, uh, find than can ever be found
But the sun rolling high
Through Satoshi's sky
Keeps great and small on the endless round

It's the Circle of Scams
And it drains us all
with despair, no hope
No faith or love
Till we find our coins
On the birdbath unwinding
In the Circle
The Circle of Scams

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There are still some businesses that use Coinbase but they don't technically accept bitcoin (you give bitcoin to Coinbase and Coinbase gives cash to the vendor but apparently there are some pitfalls to avoid) so you could buy a video card or w/e on Newegg

Not that anyone ever does because bitcoin is for hoarding, not spending

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ross "harm reduction" Ulbricht was also okay with people selling like ricin and poo poo on his drug amazon

And also he paid bitcoins to have some people killed, so I guess that's another thing you can buy with bitcoin, but the assassin and all of the victims were undercover FBI agents so maybe it doesn't count

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

QuarkJets posted:

Ross "harm reduction" Ulbricht was also okay with people selling like ricin and poo poo on his drug amazon

And also he paid bitcoins to have some people killed, so I guess that's another thing you can buy with bitcoin, but the assassin and all of the victims were undercover FBI agents so maybe it doesn't count

One of the "victims" was a guy the FBI busted and flipped, the other was just some guy? According to the wired article

I think Ross hiring a guy to kill himself is just lore

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

One of the "victims" was a guy the FBI busted and flipped, the other was just some guy? According to the wired article

I think Ross hiring a guy to kill himself is just lore

no no no, it was the fbi guy named Carl Mark Force IV.
In one email he was pretending to be a girl, but signed it carl. Then realised it and said his name was Carla

the whole Ross Ulbricht thing is a calamity of incompetence.

Ross had a file on his laptop called mycrimes.txt

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

In one email he was pretending to be a girl, but signed it carl. Then realised it and said his name was Carla

No there was a guy with roommates that he told the air quotes Hitman to kill all of them

CARL MARK FORCE IV is a different story and it ends with CARL MARK FORCE IV facing trial because he stole bitcoins during his investigation

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

No running an encrypted online drug empire from Austin, TX was a stroke of genius.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dmitri-9 posted:

No running an encrypted online drug empire from Austin, TX was a stroke of genius.

my favorite part of the whole debacle was when Ross' mom testified that he's such a nice boy, one time he went and got the car for his friends after the movies when it was raining

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ross is such a nice boy, not like those darker criminals - ross' mom

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
Whats the consensus?: I hear word on the street is even if i had bitcoins I wouldn't be able to convert it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

LolitaSama posted:

Whats the consensus?: I hear word on the street is even if i had bitcoins I wouldn't be able to convert it

bitcoin is boring and stupid and going nowhere. Laughing at bitcoin and its stupid cult is priceless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The sentencing hearing was amazing

Judge was like my dude you could be going to prison for a very long times so I don't take this lightly

I went to my cabin by myself and just went on walks and thought about it

I thought about every potential year of your sentence and what it would mean for you and your loved ones and the people whose lives you hurt with your drug Amazon

One million years dungeon don't pass go don't collect poo poo you gonna die in jail ross

Every time I start to feel bad for the dude I remember how his parents argued he was too white to die in prison.

• Locked thread