Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
He probably cares a lot about Star Trek, seeing as that's what The Orville seems to be a love letter to. I dunno, he seemed to care about the early Family Guy, when it was his only show, he seemed to care about American Dad, given when it first started airing and how much of a lefty he is. I can't imagine he gave two half-fucks about The Cleveland Show. Ted was actually pretty good and was his first film, so I imagine he cared a bit about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Orville looks more like Star Trek than the real Star Trek show.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Did somebody say if Happy Valley was any good or not?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ted was great. Ted 2 was not great, but had some great bits.

I'm not saying that everything he cares about is gold, I'm just saying it's silly to pretend he's put equal effort into everything his name is associated with.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Season 2 of Preacher looks pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq2VNi3Rl4s

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They're going to have to pull out all the stops if they're even hoping to edge out Patriot. I'm so looking forward to this. :swoon:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Did somebody say if Happy Valley was any good or not?

It's fantastic.

The first season starts out as a riff on Fargo (the film, not the tv series), except with a gruff as gently caress Halifax cop as the lead instead of Frances McDormand making Minnesota Nice. It gets really loving intense.

The second season is closer to being a typical week in her life, as she tries to balance out about four or five different investigations simultaneously, and how all the petty and crazy poo poo she has to deal with slowly wears her good will out. I like it better than the first season.

It's probably one of Sarah Lancashire's best performances, and she's a loving marvel so that's pretty bloody outstanding.

(Also, once you're done, if you're looking for something similar but equally good to check out, I highly, HIGHLY, recommend No Offence. Its second season aired a few months ago, and I reckon it's in the running for being one of the best shows of the year.)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just watched a movie-length video on why Sherlock is bad

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Arist posted:

Is it be aide Cumberbatch is terrible at fake playing the violin?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arist posted:

Longer than an actual Sherlock episode even! For those of you not perusing the right threads, the following is the video he's referring to and it's really worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkoGBOs5ecM

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Saw Duplass Brothers and turned it off

Well I've seen some of their films, so I'm interested.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MiddleOne posted:

Longer than an actual Sherlock episode even! For those of you not perusing the right threads, the following is the video he's referring to and it's really worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkoGBOs5ecM

Hbomberguy is a funny man but he's wasting his time and effort making feature-length videos playing armchair director to pop culture instead of making fun of internet weirdos.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's only the second Hb guy video I've watched, and it's the best takedown of both Sherlock and Dr Who I've ever seen. And to the point where I may link it to my parents, because, unlike a lot of spergy internet arguments, he makes some really good points with a minimum of extraneous f-bombs.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't need a 2 hour video to tell me Sherlock is dumb garbage, that last episode with his sister was just a straight up fuckin superhero movie and had nothing to do with the actual literary character. I still find it to be pretty entertaining though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean... I didn't watch the last season of Sherlock, so if you did, I still feel like I came out ahead...

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The funniest thing about Hbomberguy's video is those fans who convinced themselves that there was going to be a secret 4th episode and that the other 3 were bad on purpose. Like... That's a crazy delusion to go around with.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

I mean... I didn't watch the last season of Sherlock, so if you did, I still feel like I came out ahead...

You're one of the lucky few.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

You're one of the lucky few.

Of Sherlock fans? probably. Of people in general? ...not a minority.

I don't even hate Benedict Cumbebatch, even though I think most of the roles I've seen him in are garbage.

He seems to be a decent actor. As long as he doesn't have to say "penguins" :P

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who likes Hbomberguy's previous videos, where are the other threads you mentioned?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

The funniest thing about Hbomberguy's video is those fans who convinced themselves that there was going to be a secret 4th episode and that the other 3 were bad on purpose. Like... That's a crazy delusion to go around with.

Yeah, but this kind of reaction is pretty typical among fans, even if it's not usually so funny. You could see it among The Americans fanbase this year, with people arguing that the entire season was secretly set-up for next year, even though the showrunners have come out and said, "Nope. It was meant to be satisfying and self-contained."

A lot of people can't square away their disappointment with the hype and investment they've previously granted a show. It's classic Denial + Bargaining. Or even Anger, in cases like LOST, or whatever.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mameluke posted:

As someone who likes Hbomberguy's previous videos, where are the other threads you mentioned?

This one specifically:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694476&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Open Source Idiom posted:

A lot of people can't square away their disappointment with the hype and investment they've previously granted a show. It's classic Denial + Bargaining. Or even Anger, in cases like LOST, or whatever.

Most of us learnt this the hard way around season 3/5 of Dexter in which jesus christ.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 4, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Most of us learnt this the hard way around season 3/5 of Dexter in which jesus christ.

Literally any excuse to post this .gif, I do.

Possibly the only truly wonderful thing to come out of those later seasons.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
There were a lot of awesome things to come out of the last few seasons, like Laguerta circling BLACK SUV over and over, her memorial bench, Deb's shrink who thinks incest is hot, and Harrison's treadmill accident. Honestly, in stark contrast to all the other shows in the world, the best part of Dexter was the SA thread--at some point I was only continuing to watch because I thought the posts people were making were hilarious.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

From everything I've heard about Sherlock season 4, I feel pretty good about never actually liking the show very much.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean, Moffat shows are for idiots. It's hardly a surprise that he eventually got so idiotic that even the idiots noticed.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Speaking of shows for idiots, Kevin Can Wait has let go Erin Hayes (the wife, mother of his kids, etc) for Leah Remini (former cop partner that hates him). I'm the only one that watches, but this sucks and I have no clue how they'll explain it in the plot of the show. The whole point is that he abandons his cop job for his family and adjusting to that. Now his wife is either dying offscreen, or divorcing him and somehow leaving the kids?!?! And his ex-partner is now a regular. Is he just gonna become a cop again and they'll remake The King of Queens on the down low? I think too much about lovely network sitcoms. I'm probably going to watch some episodes of Man With A Plan this summer too.

Speaking of summer sitcoms, does anyone else watch or enjoy The Carmichael Show? I've been catching up on Netflix, I'll probably start watching Season 3 live, since there's not that much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Garrflop posted:

Great directing
Loveable characters
Great villain
Revolutionary camera work
Amazing scores by critics
+ huge fan base

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Guy Ritchie movies with RDJ are the best major Sherlock Holmes adaptation of the past 10 years or so.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Barely any of this applies to Sherlock though lol

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Guy Ritchie movies with RDJ are the best major Sherlock Holmes adaptation of the past 10 years or so.

The first is an okay action movie with a bombastic pre-fatigue Hans Zimmerman theme while the second is just really.. Bland? I think it literally bored me to sleep back when it was released. I don't even remember the plot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

The first is an okay action movie with a bombastic pre-fatigue Hans Zimmerman theme while the second is just really.. Bland? I think it literally bored me to sleep back when it was released. I don't even remember the plot.

The second one is definitely less than stellar but I did enjoy it. It has a far weaker villain (which is ironic, since it's Moriarty, but the first film had Totally Not Aleister Crowley which really can't be beat).

But the first one is definitely what I would consider the piece of Sherlock Holmes media that I have enjoyed the most. I can't and won't speak to whether it's "the best adaptation of the stories" because, for one, I think the stories are super overrated.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I agree the second one isn't as strong as the first one but I enjoyed Jared Harris as Moriarty and Stephen Fry as Mycroft a lot in it.

What the second one is, is a much better version of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I should also add the standard disclaimer that I will watch anything with either Jude Law or RDJ in it, so having both at once was like what Batman vs. Superman should have been to comic book fans.

Edit: HOLY poo poo I feel so stupid for not realizing before that Civil War was almost literally "Batman vs. Superman" :aaa:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

I should also add the standard disclaimer that I will watch anything with either Jude Law or RDJ in it, so having both at once was like what Batman vs. Superman should have been to comic book fans.

Confusing and unfulfilling?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

Confusing and unfulfilling?

Should have been. It's hard to imagine how you can gently caress up a movie whose premise is "Batman fights Superman" but here we are, this is the Trump Timeline.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

The Orville looks more like Star Trek than the real Star Trek show.

It does, and that movie is going to be where my opinion on MacFarlane pivots to "does trash to finance passion projects" or "Adam Sandler 2.0" depending on how it turns out.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

Should have been. It's hard to imagine how you can gently caress up a movie whose premise is "Batman fights Superman" but here we are, this is the Trump Timeline.

Man the US LP really messed up when they went for a renegade America instead of paragon.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Argue posted:

There were a lot of awesome things to come out of the last few seasons, like Laguerta circling BLACK SUV over and over, her memorial bench, Deb's shrink who thinks incest is hot, and Harrison's treadmill accident. Honestly, in stark contrast to all the other shows in the world, the best part of Dexter was the SA thread--at some point I was only continuing to watch because I thought the posts people were making were hilarious.

"Black SUV" was from season 3

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Duke posted:

"Black SUV" was from season 3

The gif however, was eternal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

IRQ posted:

It does, and that movie is going to be where my opinion on MacFarlane pivots to "does trash to finance passion projects" or "Adam Sandler 2.0" depending on how it turns out.

Gonna be a TV series, not a movie. But yeah, I'm hoping it turns out well, too.

Dexter S5-8 was just trash, but there were some really funny bits of awful in there. Where's that gif of the treadmill scene Michael Bay-ified?

• Locked thread