Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Not according to DOL.

https://www.fuseworkforce.com/blog/flsa-computer-exemption-how-to-determine-if-employees-qualify

Edit: Hoisted by my own petard. It does say staffing help desks in there. Yikes.

Edit 2: https://www.dol.gov/whd/opinion/FLSA/2006/2006_10_26_42_FLSA.htm

Or maybe so? Jesus Christ I need to contact a lawyer.

milk milk lemonade fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Bringing a lawyer on day one to reclassify a job as non-exempt sounds like the worst way to start at a new position. You should probably just negotiate for fair comp time when off-hour work needs to be done.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

All I'm getting from this discussion is that US labour laws are beyond atrocious and that i'm pretty happy to be living somewhere with decent employee protection laws and a culture that embraces good work/life balance.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Wibla posted:

All I'm getting from this discussion is that US labour laws are beyond atrocious and that i'm pretty happy to be living somewhere with decent employee protection laws and a culture that embraces good work/life balance.

But do you have freedoms?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Jeoh posted:

But do you have freedoms?

Yeah.

How about you?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pull up thread, pull up!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Having got that out of the way, the lack of it security for industrial systems scares me. Especially when it's gas treatment systems or power supply related. Ugh.

I'll probably have to put together a presentation on how badly things can go without some effort to secure the PLC/SCADA networks.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Bringing a lawyer on day one to reclassify a job as non-exempt sounds like the worst way to start at a new position. You should probably just negotiate for fair comp time when off-hour work needs to be done.

Lol no I should have been more clear. I'm not going to touch that with a ten foot pole, that's an HR problem. I just meant to understand it, it goes against everything I've ever been told regarding IT and exempt/non-exempt. I still don't think I understand what the official DOL guidance is.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

The laws are just fine. It's that some employers flagrantly violate them and employees either don't care or are afraid to speak up.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

adorai posted:

The laws are just fine. It's that some employers flagrantly violate them and employees either don't care or are afraid to speak up.

It can be true that employers flagrantly violate the laws and also the laws are not just fine even when they're being obeyed, you know.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

adorai posted:

I'd like to try whatever it is you're smoking.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Pull up thread, pull up!

*ears perk up*

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Working as exempt is fine, as long as the company doesn't abuse it.
Unfortunately, the company usually abuses it, which is one of the reasons I work a non-exempt job.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I wouldn't say "usually". We hear horror stories from the shithead bosses that abuse it, but I think most people here are treated fairly when it comes to 40 hour work weeks. There just isn't much to post about getting comp time or bugging out at 5 on the dot.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

jaegerx posted:

Once again. Do not use openstack unless you want that tech debt. Former developer and implementation engineer for openstack here. It's not good.
Corollary: if you aren't absolutely positive you need OpenStack to solve a specific problem that you already have, you don't need OpenStack.

I still maintain a Kilo cluster because it was the right fit for the problem we had at the time, but it was a month of implementation and it wasn't a decision that was arrived at lightly.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Holy poo poo, just had a co-worker ask, repeatedly not getting it, why we would bother scanning the drives a customer sent us before plugging them into our shared cloud environment :cripes:

Being back in hosting is gonna kill me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

RFC2324 posted:

Being back in hosting is gonna kill me.
literally anyone could have told you this and probably did

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's up IT people and grooming themselves on the job?

Nail Clipping, Filling and even bushing their teeth...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

How dare you tell me where I can and can't shave my rear end.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

What is this stuff? Is it something I should be worried about?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tab8715 posted:

I clip my fingernails at work sometimes because my coworker refuses to blow his loving nose and spends half the day clearing his sinuses and coughing from what has to be a horrible case of post-nasal drip.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Don't clip your fingernails at work.

e: Can you give me your boss's name and number so I call him about this?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

I clip my fingernails at work sometimes because my coworker refuses to blow his loving nose and spends half the day clearing his sinuses and coughing from what has to be a horrible case of post-nasal drip.

Tell him to lay off the coke.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I've never seen this unless nose picking counts as grooming

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Tell him to lay off the coke.

Or share...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Working in IT 3.0: Don't clip your fingernails at work

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Don't clip your fingernails at work.

e: Can you give me your boss's name and number so I call him about this?

I've never cut my nails at work, but came close to running down to the store to buy a clipper once when a nail was bothering me. I would have done it in the bathroom like a sane person not at my desk though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Goddamn.

When I was contracting at Tech Mahindra it was a new project with all new employees.

In our very first HR Meeting just after they introduced themselves the first thing they did was told a room over fifty adult men was they needed to wash their hands after using the bathroom.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Goddamn.

When I was contracting at Tech Mahindra it was a new project with all new employees.

In our very first HR Meeting just after they introduced themselves the first thing they did was told a room over fifty adult men was they needed to wash their hands after using the bathroom.

It's almost like the average computer janitor is a offensively disgusting manchild who shouldn't be let near other human beings in any form ever.

Speaking of which, I wonder how DAF is doing

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's almost like the average computer janitor is a offensively disgusting manchild who shouldn't be let near other human beings in any form ever.

Pretty much.

But wash your Cheeto Dust encrusted hands.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Speaking of which, I wonder how DAF is doing

Probably clipping his nails after using the bathroom without washing his hands.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 5, 2017

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

On topic: I just passed by the CEO's office his door is open, feet out of shoes on desk, he is cutting his toenails!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

pixaal posted:

On topic: I just passed by the CEO's office his door is open, feet out of shoes on desk, he is cutting his toenails!

Oh gently caress no

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

pixaal posted:

Ask him if he is gonna paint them after.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

no no. Offer to paint them after.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

pixaal posted:

eat the clippings to display dominance

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Working in IT 3.0: Eat the toenail clippings to display dominance.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I was at a small conference (< 100 people) and somebody started clipping their fingernails during a presentation.

It was an impressive power move.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ask me about workplace nail biting.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

Working in IT 3.0: Eat the toenail clippings to display dominance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There's this new guy at work who keeps banging his wrist chains/bracelets/somethings agains the table whenever he's typing.