Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Penders was involved before then, but I really didn't mind the occasional drama bomb on the path to issue 50. Once Robotnik is "dead," though, the series kinda flounders around for a new villain/purpose and Penders had some really stupid ideas he pushed hard on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MikeJF posted:

One of the big goals of the Megaman crossover comic was to reset all of that at the end and provide a reboot to Sonic continuity so they could start fresh without all the bullshit.

Not quite. The writers were already in the process of reforming the existing continuity, finding new, interesting takes on the characters. What changed was Archie faced a losing lawsuit (due to poor record-keeping) against Ken Penders, the author responsible for most of the crap that had accumulated, giving him full IP rights to many of the characters. So everything had to get blown up. This is too bad, because they were doing some cool things with them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SeANMcBAY posted:

drat. I didn't realize he was involved with it for that long. There must be a lot of unintentional hilarity in those 100 issues.

(I don't actually know if this was from the Penders era.)

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I've seen this comic before but I'm only just now asking why Tails is talking to a strange man-like unicorn

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Simsmagic posted:

I've seen this comic before but I'm only just now asking why Tails is talking to a strange man-like unicorn

and why is the strange man-like unicorn dressed like he's the hero in a Sierra text adventure game?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think that's actually from the UK comic.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
That is definitely not Archie. But both StC and Archie Sonic had a horrible issue in making Tails... weird.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwarzwald posted:

no way you gotta messin with me man, this never fuckin happened. this is a fan satire, right? ... right?

Discendo Vox posted:

I think that's actually from the UK comic.

i'd believe it if it's you who's saying it. i can see the event in question not being as shocking to the uk so they aren't averse to depicting it, but even that situation, where tails becomes lee harvey oswald, that's still out there as hell.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Discendo Vox posted:

Not quite. The writers were already in the process of reforming the existing continuity, finding new, interesting takes on the characters. What changed was Archie faced a losing lawsuit (due to poor record-keeping) against Ken Penders, the author responsible for most of the crap that had accumulated, giving him full IP rights to many of the characters. So everything had to get blown up. This is too bad, because they were doing some cool things with them.

Yeah, once Flynn got in charge, they started doing some interesting/good stuff from the mess that Penders left behind. Though honestly, changing everything to a continuity based much more closely on the games was for the best. It keeps things pretty straightforward and easy to follow.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
wait so can someone give me a summary biography of penders during his time making sonic comic books? like i know about the lawsuit, i know about his extended universe thing he continues to work on, but i don't know anything about what the comic was like under him. i stopped reading shortly after robotnik died, it was too weird and too serious for me as a kid. so i'm not sure how long he was cooking up his twisted canon in the licensed comic books, but while i'm glad i missed whatever he did, i would love to get a retrospective rubbernecking at it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
While also adding in some of their own stuff that is pretty cool as well.

I have a good deal of fondness for the Eggbosses.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Schwarzwald posted:

Please post more stuff like this. It never stops being funny.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Onmi posted:

That is definitely not Archie. But both StC and Archie Sonic had a horrible issue in making Tails... weird.

We don't talk about Titan Tails.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

wait so can someone give me a summary biography of penders during his time making sonic comic books? like i know about the lawsuit, i know about his extended universe thing he continues to work on, but i don't know anything about what the comic was like under him. i stopped reading shortly after robotnik died, it was too weird and too serious for me as a kid. so i'm not sure how long he was cooking up his twisted canon in the licensed comic books, but while i'm glad i missed whatever he did, i would love to get a retrospective rubbernecking at it.

Here.

Butterflysmasher
Aug 7, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

Grassy Knoll Zone

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The White Dragon posted:

It's really hard to encompass the entire run so... I'll try summing it up as best I can.

Highschool! Tiny Morgan Freeman! Sacrificing yourself is the highest form a woman can attain! Magical Aging you up! Station Square is beneath a mountain! Not-Min Mei from Macross! Cabal of Secret Grandpa's! Relationship Drama! Mobians and Overworlders are both mutated humans because of the bio bombs of an alien race! Green Knuckles! Issac the Golden E-102 Gamma from thousands of years in the past! Sonic is a poo poo! Mobius: 20 years later! Evil-Sonic takes off his leather jacket and sunglasses then fucks Bunny Rabbot while pretending to be Sonic!

DESTINY!

Also, for Posterity

Robotnik takes over Mobotropolis - Before Penders

After Penders

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Last time we talked about the comic and Sonic's love interests, someone posted a cover with Sonic crying in a corner holding divorce papers signed by Sally Acorn. Something about the melodrama of that image, but applied to a children's video game character with a 'tude, is so perfect. I want that image as like a poster or something. I want it on my wall.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The White Dragon posted:

He made this thing that you could purchase and try to love:

:nms::nms:

Those were relatives of his that shared the spotlight with Sonic after they got sucked into their TV.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

VikingofRock posted:

Last time we talked about the comic and Sonic's love interests, someone posted a cover with Sonic crying in a corner holding divorce papers signed by Sally Acorn. Something about the melodrama of that image, but applied to a children's video game character with a 'tude, is so perfect. I want that image as like a poster or something. I want it on my wall.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

:perfect:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

VikingofRock posted:

it wasn't divorce papers, it was an invitation to her arranged marriage with someone she thought was Antoine.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

it wasn't divorce papers, it was an invitation to her arranged marriage with someone she thought was Antoine.

Which is even more pathetic really.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sonic and Sally had already been broken up for several real world years at that point, in any case.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

robotnik didn't break him

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Onmi posted:

Evil-Sonic takes off his leather jacket and sunglasses then fucks Bunny Rabbot while pretending to be Sonic!
I know you're joking, but then I think about it, and I stop being so sure.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

This is literally all I know about the Penders era.

And sonic comics in general.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

I know you're joking, but then I think about it, and I stop being so sure.

Why would you think I'm joking, I'm being serious. Evil Sonic decides to replace Sonic, so he takes off his leather jacket and sunglasses, then, he goes and flirts with Bunnie, smash cut to night time and them snuggling.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That awful event aside, I do miss Scourge.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mikedawson posted:

I'm not as big into Cybershell these days, but I will say that reading the classic Sonic megathread when the paywall definitely was down was definitely a distinct part of my teen years. Hell, I even burned the fan remixes that aren't available anywhere anymore to a CD (but I lost the CD).

Docfuture too. I always get a kick about telling people who know about his funky Kong ASMR video about Sonic 2 Special Edition.

E: Unrelated, but I've been thinking about running a fate core game in the reboot Archie universe. But I need to do more brainstorming, and need to find people who would play that that also wouldn't get into conflicts about sonic opinions.

Sonic 2 Special Edition remains the best thing ever produced by this terrible forum

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

That awful event aside, I do miss Scourge.

Once Ian got a hold of him, Scourge was great, mainly for actually playing up him being a 'Knock-Off' and how that affects a dude with an ego like Scourges. "By the way everything about you is entirely based on this other person, and you'll never be any more than 'Evil' him."

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

No Mods No Masters posted:

Sonic 2 Special Edition remains the best thing ever produced by this terrible forum

Agreed. By far the best thing to come out of my Sonic thread was the Sonic 1 Easy Mode video.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I like Scourge less for being Evil Sonic and more because I think the idea of a deadbeat piece of poo poo biker hedgehog is really good. He's like an inverse OC, instead of being a cooler version of an existing character he's Sonic as a complete piece of garbage.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 4, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The only Scourge comics I read (unless you count when he was evil Sonic back in the 90s) was the arc where he gets sent to interdimensional prison and gets bullied by an evil Big the Cat named Smalls. Also he teams up with the lovely "Fearsome Foursome" villains that I think only appeared way back when I read the comic in elementary school, and they were actually cool. Ian Flynn made the comics really good and while I didn't really keep up with them, I'm still sad that they're probably cancelled.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Not just Small, but Smalls.

Nicely played.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There was an effort post someone made on BSS that did a pretty great job at summarizing the fall and rebirth of the Sonic Comics but I don't have the link onhand.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

RickDaedalus posted:

This is literally all I know about the Penders era.

And sonic comics in general.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Onmi posted:

Listen, I have no idea what you mean.

(source)

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 4, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Augus posted:

There was an effort post someone made on BSS that did a pretty great job at summarizing the fall and rebirth of the Sonic Comics but I don't have the link onhand.

I did that, and I was very brief over it. Then again I desperately try to forget the Archie Sonic marathon I went through.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Iirc in STC tails originated from a magic hidden swords&sorcery fantasy land but there was also a sitcom sideplot where the letters he sent home where somewhat exagerated so his whole family thought Sonic was Tails' sidekick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Am I remembering this right but wasn't there one issue where Tails recreates scenes from Blade Runner in Chemical Plant Zone? I was 8 years old how am I supposed to get that reference Fleetway?