Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
does costco carry something I could bring into work for lunch? like some microwaveable bowl or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

old.flv posted:

like some microwaveable bowl or something?

Yeah, which one?

also: an entire rotisserie chicken

ALSO: A HOT DOG (WITH SODA) FOR FUKIN' ONLY $1 MUHFUCKIN' .50!!!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

old.flv posted:

does costco carry something I could bring into work for lunch? like some microwaveable bowl or something?

I buy these for work, I recently bought a delicious frozen ramen with hunks of meat and real veggies and a smart bowl that is really good and filled with beans and quinoa and veggies and salsa.

But that is the tip of the iceberg, they have tons of items that can work for lunches.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
my girlfriend said she'd buy me dinner wherever i wanted and i demanded costco dogs

we also bought a large sack of pierogis

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Chinatown posted:

Yeah, which one?

Peachfart posted:

I buy these for work, I recently bought a delicious frozen ramen with hunks of meat and real veggies and a smart bowl that is really good and filled with beans and quinoa and veggies and salsa.

But that is the tip of the iceberg, they have tons of items that can work for lunches.

cool - like what? like chicken stir fry bowls or something? do you guys know the names?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
This thread inspired me, I'm gonna go look for dinner at Costco.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

:clint:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Oh God, I want to eat that so bad, but I am trying to lose weight. Please post pics when it is finished.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
You guys should get the prime rib eye cap. It's the best ever. http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/meet-the-ribeye-cap-the-tastiest-cut-on-the-cow.html

Also, the salmon and tuna are good quality and if you choose your packages wisely, they both provide sushi/sashimi-quality meat for a fraction of the normal price.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

old.flv posted:

cool - like what? like chicken stir fry bowls or something? do you guys know the names?

Everything at Costco is good.
I'm serious. (though I wasn't a huge fan of the Udon, it wasn't bad by any stretch)
Just go walk down the frozen isle and grab what looks good. It will usually run you about 2 bucks a meal.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

do note that if you don't finish the bag inside 3 days (lol) you need to refrigerate the rest

I almost never bother with the refrigerator, I figure it has enough salt to survive a few days.

naem
May 29, 2011

Wish I had space for a chest freezer in my tiny urban apt

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Peachfart posted:

Everything at Costco is good.
I'm serious. (though I wasn't a huge fan of the Udon, it wasn't bad by any stretch)
Just go walk down the frozen isle and grab what looks good. It will usually run you about 2 bucks a meal.

I wasn't thrilled with the turkey burgers, but otherwise everything's pretty darn good.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

old.flv posted:

Costco has really good Thai or Indian-style ready made single-serve stuff. They also have great single-serve teriyaki chicken and ravioli. Cheap as hell Amy's burritos too.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 4, 2017

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
if your costco sells lilly b's burritos you should buy those because they loving own and i ate those for work lunches for like two months straight

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Costco has really good Thai or Indian-style ready made single-serve stuff. They also have great single-serve teriyaki chicken and ravioli. Cheap as hell Amy's burritos too.

mmmmmmmmm Tasty Bite's Madras Lentils.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Taima posted:

Also, the salmon and tuna are good quality and if you choose your packages wisely, they both provide sushi/sashimi-quality meat for a fraction of the normal price.
P sure fish sold to be eaten raw has undergone special processing and handling to insure you won't get sick. I wouldn't advocate not cooking regular grocery store
stuff, even from a place as respectable as Costco.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 4, 2017

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

P sure fish sold to be eaten raw has undergone special processing and handling to insure you won't get sick. I wouldn't advocate not cooking regular grocery store

Yeah that's not a thing. Go crazy with that Costco salmon

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

I don't think you understand how meat works.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yeah that's not a thing. Go crazy with that Costco salmon

Around here stuff has to be explicitly labeled for raw consumption if it's sold for that but don't let big gov stop you from playing intestinal roulette.

E: like there is specifically sushi/sashimi grade, Google if ya don't believe me.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Stopped by Costco at about 9:45 this morning to get gas. People were already lined up at the door to get in when it opened at 10:00.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

ArbitraryC posted:

Around here stuff has to be explicitly labeled for raw consumption if it's sold for that but don't let big gov stop you from playing intestinal roulette.

E: like there is specifically sushi/sashimi grade, Google if ya don't believe me.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/05/how-to-prepare-raw-fish-at-home-sushi-sashimi-food-safety.html

Officially, the terms "sashimi-grade" and "sushi-grade" mean precisely nothing. Yuji Haraguchi, owner of the Brooklyn-based Osakana, a fish shop specializing in sashimi, recalls using them for marketing purposes when he worked as a sales representative for wholesale fish distributor True World Foods. Back in 2004, the company was trying to expand its customer base beyond Japanese restaurants, and Haraguchi's mission was to convince other restaurants to serve their customers raw fish besides tuna. "The term 'sushi-grade fish' was very effective in terms of making sales, but at the same time, I had to provide the right product and the right information," he says. Davis Herron, director of the retail and restaurant division at The Lobster Place fish market in Manhattan's Chelsea Market, agrees: "It's a marketing term that has little significance [with respect] to actually being able to consume raw fish."

The appropriation of sushi and sashimi for this purpose makes sense, since many Americans eat raw fish primarily in Japanese restaurants. It's the "grade" portion that is entirely misleading. There is no national governing body that grades fish in the same way that the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) grades beef. Although the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issues advisory guidelines that sketch out processes for handling a variety of fish meant for raw consumption, those guidelines are not intended to determine the quality of the fish in the way marbling determines the quality of beef—only its relative safety for eating raw. So when you see a piece of fish labeled sushi- or sashimi-grade, that means that the seller has judged it safe to eat raw. The claim is only as trustworthy as the fish market that makes it.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
As you slice the fish for the final preparation, keep an eye out for parasites. Do this even if your fish has been frozen according to FDA guidelines—freezing kills parasites and prevents them from doing you harm, but it does not remove them—and even if you are using farmed fish. Anisakid larvae range in color from brown to white, are about a centimeter in length, and look very much like watch springs. Broad fish tapeworm larvae will be encased in a cyst, which looks like a diminutive grain of rice embedded in the flesh. Just use your fingers to remove them, or, if you're squirmy, fish tweezers.

If you want to be really thorough about parasite removal, you can hold thin fillets (of fluke, say, or flounder) against a glass plate and shine a strong light through it, which will reveal many, if not all, of whatever parasites may be in the flesh. Similarly, cutting your fish in very thin slices will increase your chances of discovering parasites. :barf:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Haverchuck posted:

As you slice the fish for the final preparation, keep an eye out for parasites. Do this even if your fish has been frozen according to FDA guidelines—freezing kills parasites and prevents them from doing you harm, but it does not remove them—and even if you are using farmed fish. Anisakid larvae range in color from brown to white, are about a centimeter in length, and look very much like watch springs. Broad fish tapeworm larvae will be encased in a cyst, which looks like a diminutive grain of rice embedded in the flesh. Just use your fingers to remove them, or, if you're squirmy, fish tweezers.

If you want to be really thorough about parasite removal, you can hold thin fillets (of fluke, say, or flounder) against a glass plate and shine a strong light through it, which will reveal many, if not all, of whatever parasites may be in the flesh. Similarly, cutting your fish in very thin slices will increase your chances of discovering parasites. :barf:

or just cook your food like a civilized person

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rutibex posted:

or just cook your food like a civilized person

*Pokes you in the eye*

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
When we want to make sushi or poké, I always get the fish from the local Japanese grocery store because they regularly fly out high quality fish that they stand behind and have the best selection of rice, noodles, Japanese snacks, and all that jazz around here, and very solid produce too. There's an incredible Japanese bakery next door too. Sure, it's somewhat cheaper to buy salmon or tuna at Kroger or Giant Eagle vs. the Japanese market, but I am not an expert and I don't want to risk getting food poisoning when I eat raw fish. Sushi-grade may be total unregulated bullshit, but you really can't eat raw fish from just anywhere.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I would rather eat raw beef than raw fish, fish are far more likely to be filled with parasites.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

When we want to make sushi or poké, I always get the fish from the local Japanese grocery store because they regularly fly out high quality fish that they stand behind

You don't even know how it's different and you just trust it blindly because it's from a Japanese grocery store? Sounds legit. After all, they "fly out the quality fish"!

I've been eating raw salmon and tuna from Costco in sushi, sashimi and poke preparations for roughly 10 years. I am somehow still alive and have never gotten food poisoning from fish.

Costco sells their own fresh poke that they make from the same fish they have in the aisle.

Just be a realistic person, make sure the fish was frozen, cut relatively thin (which you would do for sashimi and sushi anyways!) so you can theoretically see any parasites. Not that I've ever actually seen one.

Some straight up ignorance around here.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

old.flv posted:

I eat a couple of these a week at work. They're pretty drat good.

https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Hawaiian-Style-Bowl%2C-Teriyaki-Chicken%2C-12.5-oz%2C-6-ct.product.11164782.html

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

old.flv posted:

it might be a local variable thing, but ours has a lot of prepacked 4-pack of salad bowls from asian salads, caesar, weird quinoa and cranberry and kale, and another one i forgot. they're pretty good but i usually can't eat all 4 before they get a bit wilty unless you buy them the day they're stocked with max expiration. they also have microwavable chowmein-vegetable dishes that my bosses eat almost ever day ,they're pretty good. and they also have udon and yakisoba noodle bowls that are decent too. then theres always frozen packages of tamales, burritos, piegoies and some other things you can microwave.

e: there's always goon favorite microwavable personal dish pizzas too!

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 5, 2017

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Xaris posted:

it might be a local variable thing, but ours has a lot of prepacked 4-pack of salad bowels from asian salads, caesar, weird quinoa and cranberry and kale, and another one i forgot. they're pretty good but i usually can't eat all 4 before they get a bit wilty unless you buy them the day they're stocked with max expiration. they also have microwavble chowmein-vegetable dishes that my bosses eat almost ever day ,they're pretty good. and they also have udon and yakisoba noodle bowls that are decent too. then theres always frozen packages of tamales or burritos you can microwave.

cool thanks - gonna have to explore the 'co

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

nice alright

good thread best store

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You could get a 3 lb bag of the broccoli florets and make a brocolli salad preparation that would last for a week or two. Broccoli salad is suprisingly delicious and it lasts a lot longer than a prepped salad.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/05/broccoli-salad-radicchio-basil-pistachio-recipe.html

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
broccoli is good for poopin'

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Poopin' is good for livings'

naem
May 29, 2011

I see you've heard of the meat trick

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

naem posted:

I see you've heard of the meat trick

I love you

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Anybody tried that giant bag of Korean noodles with black sauce they sell? I eyeball them every time.

Also I got Goodyear rugged floor mats, front and rear, for goddamn $18.99. Going to invest in Weathertech ones before winter but until then, PBUC.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I bought a Squatty Potty two-pack at Costco.

Costco, is there anything you can't do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

Count Freebasie posted:

I bought a Squatty Potty two-pack at Costco.

Costco, is there anything you can't do?

:same:

Through other means I was already fond of this kind of pooping posture, but the squatty potty sure makes it more convenient. Gave the extra one to some family so they can share in the joy of Costco assisted bowel movements.