Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

RatHat posted:

Yeah unless you know 100% that there will be a better opportunity you should probably use him when you can kill ~15 points of stuff with him. I've definitely been screwed by getting too greedy and waiting too long. Some decks don't really have a way to move units so you can wait until the last minute though.

I find it's pretty hard to squeeze more than 12 damage out of his effect in most matches. If Nilfgaard gets really overconfident or I have Frightener at the right time to cuddle an Impera Brigade I can make it a 20 damage igni with a 4 body, but people tend to play around it a lot (that magical 32-48 damage igni effect just doesn't happen if the NG player is playing correctly).

The one matchup I find it indispensable in is Scoiatel Dwarves. I regularly knock 18 point resilient units off the board in that matchup, which is gamewinning because they just don't have the cards to get another one that high, and that deck is super reliant on resilient buffed dudes to win them the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
some Good poo poo from tides of time this morning, including your standard nilfgaard turn 1

and on top of that, tides was trying out fake:ciri. it didn't go so well

https://clips.twitch.tv/InspiringYawningGoshawkDansGame

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

two packs, nenneke and djikstra from same pack and premium shani from the last one. I uh, guess I play Reaver hunter now don't I :stare:

e: putting together a deck and I found premium field medic, that card made me cringe when I clicked it. she's sawing off a dude's arm and you get to hear it cutting through flesh and bone, along with the patients agonized screaming. good lord, and premium margarita you can hear someone being burned alive. NR's premiums are hosed up

Minera fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 4, 2017

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
its hard to imagine northern realms gets reinforcements, djikstra, nenneke, and is still somehow trash.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

the strength on all their units is hosed up and the trio mechanic is a decent idea but barely implemented. tweak the strength on the silvers a bit, buff some of the shittier bronzes like the siege machines, add another useful trio effect to something that doesnt get played, like one of the armor units. oh and fix priscilla because really, what the gently caress is that card

I don't really know if there's a worthwhile radovid deck either way past that. maybe change his power to "demote a gold unit and damage it by 4, or lock two units and damage them by 4" would give him a useful niche in giving the siege decks some targets when you need it..

Minera fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 4, 2017

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Granted I haven't played New NR at all, and have barely seen it aside from Henselt Reavers a few times, but it's weird to me that NR has literally any bronzes that are weaker in base strength than the Sergeant. It seems like that card could be used as a base for both Blue Stripes as well as Siege Machines, but there are enough Siege units that are weaker than the Sergeants that I don't think they work together right now. That makes NR more samey though, so maybe just buff Siege mechanics a bit to keep them unique but more viable.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

it's really, really weird how their bronzes are tuned. Another option would be to just increase the strength on all of them by 1, nerf reaver hunters in whatever way's appropriate to compensate, and give Henselt a new leader power since he has the least interactive hero power in the game. And that's saying something in a meta where Nilfgaard's standard tactic is to yolo john turn one even if he'll whiff just to get golems out of the deck.

It also doesn't help that NR might be the most big brain faction in the game currently. I played five games in a row of reaver hunters and i can't quite grasp how exactly I'm supposed to order units to thin my deck correctly yet. I look at how some other theoretical 40 card NR deck would work with the game plan of sneaking everything onto the board with deploys and my brain seizes up.

e: Really good idea I saw was to give resilience to at least one of the siege units, or tie it into some kind of a trio effect for NR siege.

Minera fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 4, 2017

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Minrad posted:

the strength on all their units is hosed up and the trio mechanic is a decent idea but barely implemented. tweak the strength on the silvers a bit, buff some of the shittier bronzes like the siege machines, add another useful trio effect to something that doesnt get played, like one of the armor units. oh and fix priscilla because really, what the gently caress is that card

I don't really know if there's a worthwhile radovid deck either way past that. maybe change his power to "demote a gold unit and damage it by 4, or lock two units and damage them by 4" would give him a useful niche in giving the siege decks some targets when you need it..

the thing is, any trio mechanic is just an igni waiting to happen

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kawabata posted:

I think the game as a whole has too many targeted mechanics with unlimited quantities. Probably every card in the game that reads "unit(s)" should be changed to limit to a maximum of 2.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Kawabata posted:

there's ways to play around it. siege support for example, and medic bounces to stagger buffs, or just having the trio weak enough that it'll never be a viable scorch target (like blue commandos). plus they could always just have a trio effect be a skald style thing, where it buffs each unit by 1, 2, 3.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Swim's Spellgaard deck is pretty incredible, probably because people don't know how to play against it yet. It's basically Spell ST but with Nilfgaard.

EDIT: A deck tracker is reaaaally useful for this deck.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 4, 2017

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Nothing better than winning a game against whatever queensguards/NR/etc deck summons a ton of units in the last round by waiting out the opponents last card (which happens to be first light) with Nithral down on the board, and getting a 30+ point value biting frost as a final move with Eredin + Hound

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

RatHat posted:

Swim's Spellgaard deck is pretty incredible, probably because people don't know how to play against it yet. It's basically Spell ST but with Nilfgaard.

All of Swim's decks on GwentDB are great. Super useful writeups, card explanations, craft orders and budget versions / replacements. http://www.gwentdb.com/members/swim/decks

I finally hit level 10 and unlocked ranked after grinding with a modified Frost/Weather hybrid.

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 4, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
He has super helpful videos for them too.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

RatHat posted:

I played against this the other day. I won, but it was so obnoxious to deal with, and I only won by a slim margin. If he had played better I don't think I could've done much. That deck seems more annoying than the ST version because you know that once you've baited out their Saskia chain all you have to deal with are DB Protectors, which are super vulnerable to Gigni or in my deck's case, Bekker's. Joaquim into Impera Enforcer into a gold card for promote is enough to win entire rounds if they get it and you don't draw enough golds to waste their special cards (sometimes even then because of dshackle).

I wouldn't be surprised if dshackle and dbomb started catching on more. Everyone runs golds and a lot of golds get hosed hard by those cards.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

RatHat posted:

I've been playing a variation of this for awhile, basically because Imperial Golems are super powerful turn 1, thin out your deck and mostly don't die to Villentretenmerth. That and Impera Enforcers can become gold, which also become immune to basically everything. Then John Calveit and Cahir just being broken, with Tibor being an insane round 3.

Basically just all the broken poo poo about NG combined with the broken poo poo in Gwent, which is stuff that can't be interacted with.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah there's not really any counter to Dbomb in that deck since the Enforcers aren't agile.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

What the poo poo Christ is with weather monster decks??? I just played 3 ranked matches against 3 weather monster decks and lost to all of them. How the gently caress do you counter them????

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

MarshyMcFly posted:

What the poo poo Christ is with weather monster decks??? I just played 3 ranked matches against 3 weather monster decks and lost to all of them. How the gently caress do you counter them????

Tech anti-weather. All the classes have more than enough tools to deal with them. Weather monsters is very predominant at low ranks and casual play since entry cost is low but it falls off against some of the other popular decks

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

MarshyMcFly posted:

Scroll up

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

MarshyMcFly posted:

Adding your faction's Mage silver is a good start, as I believe all of them have Clear Skies available. I also drop in at least one of the row clearing bronze for my faction, and then another First Light or two depending on how much weather I'm seeing. Decoy, Emhyr (Nilf leader), and Restoration (Skellige silver) are nice to reuse weather clearing minions, and each have other uses when you aren't facing weather. Milva (ST gold) sorta works too but that's conditional on board state.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Why does the game send you back to deck selection sometimes when it finds an opponent? I assume it's some kind of bug and not important, but maybe im missing something.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

MarshyMcFly posted:

What deck are you playing? Also are you facing Eredin Weather or Dagon decks?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

Why does the game send you back to deck selection sometimes when it finds an opponent? I assume it's some kind of bug and not important, but maybe im missing something.

Presumably it's because it finds the opponent but then fails to connect the two of you together

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

botany posted:

What deck are you playing? Also are you facing Eredin Weather or Dagon decks?

I was playing my consume deck mostly but then switched to my spy deck and still lost to 2 more weather monsters decks in CASUAL mode. I faced both eredin and dagon decks 5 times in a row before I faced a non monsters deck.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Does Ciri:Dash put herself on top of the deck instead of being "shuffled" in like it says on the card? People say it's a bad card but I see her 2-3 times a game literally every time I see her, with people just throwing her down for 9+ power each round and drawing her right back for next round freshly buffed. These opponents aren't even thinning their deck more than usual, so people grabbing a single gold out of 6-10 cards in both round 2 and 3 seems extremely unlikely unless the card isn't doing what it says on the tin.

EDIT: Not that 9 power on a gold is crazy good, it's just weird.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 5, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Ciri:Dash got a lot better with the new mulligans between rounds. But ive run her, had her go back into the deck and not drawn her again that game, so I don't believe there is a bug with her.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
It's shuffled normally. Ciri:dash is a bad gold, unless you run thinning and/or Royal decree.

she's 9+Roach, 12, 15 on a proper deck.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Nausicaa knight or whatever the gently caress that NG removing weather dude is called is incredibly obnoxious and I have no idea what he's yelling at the top of his lungs but I'm always surprised by how high his volume is over any other entrance sound

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Skellige Storm is going to get nerfed so hard. I'm guessing it'll be 1/1/2 instead of the 1/2/3 it is now. So better than Frost on a board with less than 5 units, better than Fog/Rain hitting one unit, but worse in other cases.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Summoning Circle (animated), Dethmold, or Cynthia? As far as I know summoning circle is a gimmick card, dethmold is obviously good but with the state of the NR right now it's not as tempting. I've seen Cynthia get played before but I know Nilfgaard already have an incredible slew of silver cards so I'm not sure where she slots in

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Probably Cynthia. I've literally never seen the other 2 played.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

RatHat posted:

Skellige Storm is going to get nerfed so hard. I'm guessing it'll be 1/1/2 instead of the 1/2/3 it is now. So better than Frost on a board with less than 5 units, better than Fog/Rain hitting one unit, but worse in other cases.
What deranged mind would ever play skellige storm at 1/1/2?

Knowlue posted:

Summoning Circle (animated), Dethmold, or Cynthia? As far as I know summoning circle is a gimmick card, dethmold is obviously good but with the state of the NR right now it's not as tempting. I've seen Cynthia get played before but I know Nilfgaard already have an incredible slew of silver cards so I'm not sure where she slots in
Dethmold is really good. I don't think NR is worthless and it's likely to get buffed soon regardless.

Summoning Circle is also really fun, especially in premium because you get the opponent's card in premium too. (I always pick the premiums)

Cynthia, I don't really understand why people play that card. I guess I've seen it around but it'd be my last pick of the three.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah maybe you're right. 1/2/2 I guess?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RatHat posted:

It's already the worst of the non-bronze weathers, why would they nerf it?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BabyRyoga posted:

It's already the worst of the non-bronze weathers, why would they nerf it?

Seriously? White Frost is niche as hell and Merigold's Hailstorm is usually just a worse D-Bomb.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Ugh. Had a game against spell nilfgaard where all three of his Impera Protectors were gold. Then Villentretenmirth. Then Tibor. I was the computer in a game of solitaire, and it sucked.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Darke GBF posted:

Ugh. Had a game against spell nilfgaard where all three of his Impera Protectors were gold. Then Villentretenmirth. Then Tibor. I was the computer in a game of solitaire, and it sucked.

Yeah that deck got showed off somewhere and now its the new hotness.

loving sucks to play against.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Tech in D-bomb, that deck is really weak to it. Shackles too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RatHat posted:

Seriously? White Frost is niche as hell and Merigold's Hailstorm is usually just a worse D-Bomb.

Hailstorm isn't even a weather is it? It's just a nuke I thought. Most weathers might as well be nukes, they are cleared extremely quickly. White Frost actually has a chance of staying on the board when used in monster decks that have 3 normal frosts and Caranthir, though.