Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its good, but I wonder if Im alone in disliking the main character acting? He just not good at playing a deranged person, he looks kinda like a teenager pretending to be retarded for laughs

He's not supposed to be deranged, he's supposed to be delicate and confused. Schizophrenia makes you experience hallucinations and delusions and withdraw into yourself, but it doesn't make you totally unhinged or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

johnsonrod posted:

Never heard of Legion until your post but I'm a couple episodes in and yah this show is awesome.

Heck yeah. (It's by Noah Hawley, the same guy who did Fargo, who said in some interviews that in Legion he wanted to up the ante on the crazy surreal poo poo that happened on Hannibal, which means it immediately became one of my favorite shows of all time)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

showbiz_liz posted:

He's not supposed to be deranged, he's supposed to be delicate and confused. Schizophrenia makes you experience hallucinations and delusions and withdraw into yourself, but it doesn't make you totally unhinged or anything.

Well, deranged was probably a bad choice of word, but he is supposed to be a guy struggling with serious psychological problems but most of the time he is just.. kinda funny and goofy. I couldnt help to compare his acting with schyzo Rami Malek in Mr Robot, which is so much better and more convincing

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

showbiz_liz posted:

Heck yeah. (It's by Noah Hawley, the same guy who did Fargo, who said in some interviews that in Legion he wanted to up the ante on the crazy surreal poo poo that happened on Hannibal, which means it immediately became one of my favorite shows of all time)

Yah, I'm a huge fan of Fargo and Hannibal and Noah Hawley in general so I'm kind of surprised this show completely flew under my radar. Finished it all in 1 sitting yesterday and goddamn that was amazing. The first time they show the yellow eyed devil when him and Syd switch bodies was freaky as poo poo. Definitely one of the best shows I've seen in awhile.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its good, but I wonder if Im alone in disliking the main character acting? He just not good at playing a deranged person, he looks kinda like a teenager pretending to be retarded for laughs

I've liked Dan Stevens since Downton Abbey so maybe I'm a bit biased but I thought his performance was good. Not the strongest on the show by any means but good enough. Aubrey Plaza killed it though.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, that's a fair point. I'm not sure what it is about Elementary that hasn't quite managed to click yet. I imagine I just need to watch more so all the characters are settled in.

Elementary starts off decent but keeps building and developing off of its characters, so it eventually starts to outshine the Sherlock series which sort of just chases its own tail. Elementary really only starts losing that steam in the latest season after the Morland Holmes arc resolves.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Recently binged...

The Expanse s2 - Solid Sci-Fi Show. More cohesive than the first season. It's a complex show, better off binging both seasons together.

Black Sails s4 - Absolutely fantastic final season to the show. Everything wraps up really well. Great ending.

Vikings s4 - Takes a while to get going, but the new cast additions have some real standouts. I wasn't sure I'd be interested in watching season 5 but I probably will.

Stuff I'm thinking of binging next...any preferences for which one I should go for?

Travelers
Imposters
Santa Clarita Diet
Turn
Taboo
Incorporated
Last Man on Earth s2-3

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

-Blackadder- posted:

Recently binged...

The Expanse s2 - Solid Sci-Fi Show. More cohesive than the first season. It's a complex show, better off binging both seasons together.

Black Sails s4 - Absolutely fantastic final season to the show. Everything wraps up really well. Great ending.

Vikings s4 - Takes a while to get going, but the new cast additions have some real standouts. I wasn't sure I'd be interested in watching season 5 but I probably will.

Stuff I'm thinking of binging next...any preferences for which one I should go for?

Travelers
Imposters
Santa Clarita Diet
Turn
Taboo
Incorporated
Last Man on Earth s2-3

Incorporated only got one season, but it's really well made. Good solid look into a possible future.
Imposters you should be watching just because of the cast. Same with Santa Clarita, Tim Olyphant is very funny man. Taboo is tough on the old brainbox, it's very bleak. Pretty good though for similar reasons.
Turn is ok, if you like American history, no idea how accurate it is.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

-Blackadder- posted:

Travelers
Imposters
Santa Clarita Diet
Turn
Taboo
Incorporated
Last Man on Earth s2-3

I watched SCD when it first came out and loved it. Also just finished binging all of LMoE and loved it as well, really a good take on 'the end of the world' because there are no zombies or other 'horror' elements going on.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Been watching The Keepers on Netflix about the murder of a nun in 1969 and it's fuuuucked up.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Been watching The Keepers on Netflix about the murder of a nun in 1969 and it's fuuuucked up.
Is it better than making a murderer?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is it based on a true story?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a documentary series

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

-Blackadder- posted:

Last Man on Earth s2-3

I recommend this show, because it only gets exponentially better after season 1.

I just binged all 3 seasons of Schitt's Creek and it is SUCH A GOOD SHOW

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is it based on a true story?

Yeah. Not sure if it's quite as good as MoaM, though. It drags a little in parts and could have been a lot shorter than 7 hours, but what's discussed in it is brutal as hell. Then again you don't have to sit through a million phone conversations featuring the imbecilic stylings of Steven Avery, so that's a plus.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have an extreme Love/Hate thing with Last Man on Earth. I binging and enjoying the second season for the most part but I recently had to just stop watching it because I couldn't sit through even 5 minutes of the show.

I just started The Path and its interesting. I'm not entirely sure what I think of it and its a little derivative of a lot of the similar "insular communities/cults who think the world is hosed" shows like Sons of Anarchy, Outsiders, or Big Love. But it has me a little curious and uncertain about who is a total fraud and who isn't and it does do an interesting job of balancing the good and the bad of extreme religion.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thought I'd try something different and do a sort of rotating binge of Nikita and season four of Arrow. Since I tend to binge watch things via box sets, I'm alternating one disc of the one then one of the other.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

-Blackadder- posted:

Recently binged...

Travelers
Imposters
Santa Clarita Diet
Turn
Taboo
Incorporated
Last Man on Earth s2-3

I'll second SCD. I honestly expected it to not be very good, but I ended up loving it. It does a good job of balancing the silly/serious and I legit laughed-till-I-cried a few times.

I thought Travelers was decent but not great. The premise is interesting at least and I'll probably watch the next season.

hamsystem fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 30, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Santa Clarita Diet was fun and a really easy watch but I felt really unsatisfied by the way it ended. It felt like it forgot to film its season finale.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

13 Reasons Why is awful trash. Every character is a horrible one dimensional over the top cliche, and the premise is absurd. I can't stop watching it.

edit- No, its too terrible. I stopped watching it.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 1, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I got bored with the The Path, never watched the S1 finale. I normally love cult poo poo but got increasingly turned off the less this cult seemed to have much of a dark underbelly and was really just a hippie commune with a bunch of self help mumbo jumbo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lycus posted:

I got bored with the The Path, never watched the S1 finale. I normally love cult poo poo but got increasingly turned off the less this cult seemed to have much of a dark underbelly and was really just a hippie commune with a bunch of self help mumbo jumbo.

I've seen both seasons, so if you're interested in knowing. Generally speaking: There is some horrible stuff hidden away behind the scenes, there's murder, some madness, and at least one incident of paedophilia committed and subsequently covered up by those in charge, but the entire thing is surprisingly legit. Like, even more than just legit, in the first season finale they start suggesting that Meyerism might actually be true, complete with some low-key magical shenanigans.

But if you think that's somehow reason enough to come back, be warned: the writers clearly thought the first season was far too fast paced, and decided to use the second season to remedy that problem.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing that kind of keeps me interested is that they play it kind of ambiguous with how much these people are conmen and how much they're just broken. Like, I'm not finished with S2 yet but there's still no indication of whether the founders are conmen or not. All the focus is on the people raised in the cult or "saved" by it who understandably are confused. And yeah, "faithful" or not its clear that many in the cult have done hosed up, evil poo poo and the cult has covered it up and even used it to their benefit. So poo poo's darker than it seems on the surface.

I mean, I don't really like it that much but its kept me engaged that I'll finish it off this weekend.

I hope they never follow through and make any part of "Meyerism" real or proven. Like, for now I'm fine with the way they play it ambiguously where maybe something magical just happened or maybe its just because the person was hadn't eaten for days, was left alone in the dark all night, and has taken a lot of psychedelic drugs in the past.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just blasted through the second season of F is for Family. I thought it was a lot better than the first season. Gotta admit though, the very first episode opened with two hilarious jokes right off the bat so it made bingeing the rest of it pretty easy.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, the second season was much better, but it was also twice as long, so I think that had something to do with it. That and Bill Burr and the rest of the writing staff just finding their groove in general made the second season much more entertaining.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!
Been catching up on Fargo recently. Did a rewatch of season 1, got to see season 2 for the first time, and I'm current with season 3 thus far. Awesome, awesome show.

Also been watching Twin Peaks for the first time ever. I never got around to watching it when it first aired, though I'd seen bits and pieces of it here and there. I basically concur with the general opinion: season 1 of Twin Peaks is great TV, and season 2 started out good but has been gradually sliding downhill (though I haven't seen the last episode yet, which I hear is really really good).

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The Handmaid's Tale is the most compelling, relevant and downright depressing story of what it would be like to find yourself suddenly considered to be property of the state. I highly recommend it to everyone that wants to experience good television, and to anyone that worries about current real-world trends. You will both find something of value in the handmaid's tale, and you will both regret that you did so. It's the best TV I've seen since The Wire and it should be watched by everyone. Seriously, watch The Handmaid's Tale. Just don't, for the love of your mental health, binge it all in one go.

Do Not Binge The Handmaid's Tale in one go. Don't do that to yourself.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty good, yeah.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cactus posted:

I'm gonna do it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm totally gonna do it and even looking up how many episodes it was yesterday to see when I can start.

I binged 4 seasons of Shameless before it crushed my soul. I can handle 1 season. Or I'll come in here and cry.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've read the book so I'm prepared, do your worst

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Regy Rusty posted:

I've read the book so I'm prepared, do your worst

In many ways the series paints an even harsher picture than the book. I wouldn't say you can't or shouldn't binge it from an emotional perspective, but I do think that it benefits from having more time to appreciate each episode. It's really, really good.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I eagerly await all the reaction posts :allears:

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Cactus posted:

This is good advice. It's one of the few shows I've watched where I've actually felt depressed and emotionally drained after finishing an episode. That said, it's really loving good so as long as you follow that advice you'll be good to go.

Also, I just finished my second watch through of Legion. It was really cool to pick up on all the hints and foreshadowing this time around. I'd recommend going into it without reading anything before hand.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The dialogue isn't good/believable enough for the show to really make me feel anything. And the last couple episodes' focus on "well what about the men???" has really put me off

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

tetrapyloctomy posted:

In many ways the series paints an even harsher picture than the book. I wouldn't say you can't or shouldn't binge it from an emotional perspective, but I do think that it benefits from having more time to appreciate each episode. It's really, really good.

I watched the first 4 episodes in one day and felt fine. The only people that have the adverse reactions are the ones that never watched prestige TV before.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Legion. Weird mindfuck of a show. I was actually put off at first because it seemed to try hard to be weird just for weirds sake, which I don't like - like an artstudent in filmschool trying to be artistic by splicing as many weird angles and strange lighting into his movie as he could. But as the show progressed certain things were revealed and the fairly fractured "story" started making more sense. Also, Audrey Plaza started appearing more and suddenly the show got a lot better. Stand out performance for Audrey imo, they need her for S2 as well. She was hot, scary, miserable, funny and cool. Good poo poo

Better call saul. A chill, funny show with some emotional weight as well. I had zero interest in the show after Breaking Bad (a spinoff prequel sounded like the worst idea to me), so it took me a few years before I gave the show a chance. But it's good, if you like a show centered almost entirely around characterization and peoples relationships with eachother rather than some strong plot.

The last kingdom. Kind-of-decent show. The main character was unlikeable after a certain point. There's this scene in the show where he murders a helpless fat guy for beeing a thief while his wife cries for him to stop and then our protagonist basically gives the middle finger to the fat mans children. It's like the showrunners wanted to show that yeah. he's "a wild man" but they took it too far because he wasn't very likeable or interesting to begin with so you kind of just go "man, what a fuckin dick". S2 is better and makes our protagonist a bit more sympathetic too. Still, it's not a great show. Watch if you like swords and bows and vikings and dirty english peasants

Veep. One of the funniest mean comedies ever made. It's just a lot of fun to watch the cast be so insanely mean to eachother in a political setting like that. Every actor is amazing and great at what they do. Gary is the saddest man alive and also one of the funniest

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 5, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zzulu posted:

The last kingdom. Kind-of-decent show. The main character was unlikeable after a certain point. There's this scene in the show where he murders a helpless fat guy for beeing a thief while his wife cries for him to stop and then our protagonist basically gives the middle finger to the fat mans children. It's like the showrunners wanted to show that yeah. he's "a wild man" but they took it too far because he wasn't very likeable or interesting to begin with. S2 is better and makes our protagonist a bit more sympathetic too. Still, it's not a great show. Watch if you like swords and bows and vikings and dirty english peasants

The guy being an emotional jackass who will self-sabotage his every success by being too Dane is part of the fun of the show. :v:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

The guy being an emotional jackass who will self-sabotage his every success by being too Dane is part of the fun of the show. :v:

Yeah that's what made him such an interesting character for me. He often takes off in these directions where a more traditional narrative would have him defy the odds and/or power and win, and instead he does it and gets utterly hosed by it. Then he does it again, because he just does not learn.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
For all the Black Sails people, about how much of it involves fictional versions of real historical Golden Age pirates, and how much is its own independent story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It's like 1/3rd real historical pirates, 1/3rd made up original pirates, and 1/3rd Treasure Island pirates.

That last part is always funny to me for some reason.