Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if I would pay $150 to see anybody, but Kendrick is on the list of "ehhhh...maybe" because holy poo poo does he put on a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I paid over $100 (CAD) for U2 and I never will do a stadium show like that again

Give me my $20 hipster bar indie shows any day of the week over that

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I should clarify that my $150 to see Kendrick is contingent on me being pretty close to the stage because gently caress me if I will pay anyone $150 to see anyone from more than 50 ft away.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
What the hell? Most big international acts playing in New Zealand will set you back $100 NZD, which is only $70 USD and we find even that pretty expensive. The most I ever paid was a bit over $200 USD for two tickets to Leonard Cohen, and that was worth every cent.

Hell, I could have paid $70 USD to see Kendrick Lamar and The National at a festival last year, but I was an idiot and missed that.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

T Bowl posted:

I paid $180 to see The Cure but that was for two tickets... it was worth it.

Paid more than that per seat at the hollywood bowl to watch them play for 3 loving hours.

My new limit is "is this radiohead expensive ($80)". If so i'll wait for their festival set. I agree with the low cost sentiment in here, but sometimes you gotta splurge on that one band.

TBH Kendrick puts on the same show festival and alone, so I'm not cryin over watching him pass.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
I think I paid like $120 for Yeezus so that's my ceiling,but that had an led mountain that split open and poo poo, and weird faceless mannequin ladies

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

incoherent posted:

Paid more than that per seat at the hollywood bowl to watch them play for 3 loving hours.

My new limit is "is this radiohead expensive ($80)". If so i'll wait for their festival set. I agree with the low cost sentiment in here, but sometimes you gotta splurge on that one band.

TBH Kendrick puts on the same show festival and alone, so I'm not cryin over watching him pass.

It was like 3 and a half hours here and I got the very front general admission pit section at Merriweather.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

incoherent posted:

I rarely rarely go to concerts. Like... maybe once a year but usually once ever few years. So this year having Radiohead, U2 *and* Arcade Fire in it is killing my wallet.

Not to mention I live in Mississippi so it's been New Orleans, Houston, New Orleans... tacking on hotel stays on it isn't helping!

Is The National touring this year? Because I think that's the last of my "gotta see 'em before I die" bands.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Everything Now feels like a rehash from the bands prior themes but musically its solid and catchy. I like the minimalistic music video in the desert. It is soooo arcade fire, hope the album explores new territory and doesn't dwell on nostalgia of a pre insta-techno world

Reflector grew on me, disc one got all the bombastic catchier tunes out of the way and the longer, weirder, harder to digest stuff on disc two which I appreciated eventually

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Flashbulb eyes is actually dope

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Troxartas posted:

I think I paid like $120 for Yeezus so that's my ceiling,but that had an led mountain that split open and poo poo, and weird faceless mannequin ladies

You're just lucky he didn't walk off the stage after 2 songs. It's a gamble.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrqphXJZqS8

New H. Hawkline album, I Romanticize, came out on Friday. RIYL: Cate Le Bon. That's the closest comparison I can make. They play in each other's studio bands and rotate as frontman/frontwoman when playing their own sets together 'cuz their bands consist of the same people. She even produced his last two albums. I'm a fan of spindly, funky, fractured pop songs, and his new one is exactly that.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

T Bowl posted:

It was like 3 and a half hours here and I got the very front general admission pit section at Merriweather.

They would have continued to play welllllllll into the night (one year they played coachella till they cut the sound THEN lights) if they could. The venue is surrounded by "gently caress you money" houses. Shame.

BonoMan posted:

Is The National touring this year? Because I think that's the last of my "gotta see 'em before I die" bands.

They very much are. Make it a point to see them somewhere special though. Red rock, Merryweather, Hollywood bowl, etc. I wouldn't worry about them breaking up any time soon, but they're getting to that "we'll tour every few years" status that Interpol, Broken social scene, Radiohead, and others are hitting.

Getting old and developing a longer tour cycle with the bands u love suuuucccckkksssss....

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
MUTEMATH is back with a new one, and it is something. Not sure what to compare it to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsUyLdihndc

They've been playing variants of this live since about 2013, but it didn't make the cut for the previous album. Seemed like they were never able to get it to form a cohesive song, as it kind of meandered around a lot with a bunch of different ideas. But I think they finally managed to harness that into a proggish sort of energy. It kind of goes all over the place, but in a good way.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I paid $100 for Gorillaz and $95 for Lady Gaga this year and that's definitely my upper limit.

Now Daft Punk uhhhhh I don't even know.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knXIYXDFh4U

Alvvays just announced their second LP and the new single is as dreamy as ever.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

incoherent posted:

They very much are. Make it a point to see them somewhere special though. Red rock, Merryweather, Hollywood bowl, etc. I wouldn't worry about them breaking up any time soon, but they're getting to that "we'll tour every few years" status that Interpol, Broken social scene, Radiohead, and others are hitting.

Getting old and developing a longer tour cycle with the bands u love suuuucccckkksssss....

poo poo. Well the good thing is I can't afford to really travel to see them so I won't be able to this year since they aren't coming anywhere even remotely near Mississippi. Probably a good thing for my budget.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

interpunct posted:

I've been playing that s/t a bunch the last few days so this is pretty awesome that the announcement came now.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Anyone seen Big Thief live? They are here tonight and I may go but I don't know if it's really going to be that interesting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

interpunct posted:

I love this band and I will never forgive the FunFunFunFest crowd for talking over their whole set :argh:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I had heard "Archie, Marry Me" many times in my favorite bar, but hearing "Party Police" (such a sad and beautiful guitar line) on the CBC Radio 3 podcast finally got me to check out their album, which I played over and over last year. Shimmering guitars; detached, almost flat vocals; subtly moody synths, and I love what they sing about. Judging by "In Undertow," and what Molly said about the album ("“This record is a fantasy breakup arc and my life nearly imitated art"), it sounds like we're in for more of the same. I love this kind of sunny guitar bummer pop. So glad they're back.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Speak of the loving devil, this music festival here that I go to every year announced their lineup and it includes Kendrick and LCD Soundsystem :vince:

Tickets will probably be like $200 after tax for the weekend, but I am so loving going to that. I get to see both of them plus another like 15 acts I want to see (including Brand New and Crystal Castles!).

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Paying $150 for K Dot is crazy, I've seen him twice and the second time it was only worth it because it was the Yeezus show.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know I already posted about it in this thread but upon further reflection the new Sylvan Esso is the best thing I've heard in years. The best thing about it is literally everything, and the second best thing about it is that it made me go back and listen to their first album more.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

To belatedly jump in on ticket chat, I've paid over $100 for plenty of acts but the most expensive single ticket I bought was nearly $175 to see Adele at MSG.

I was close enough to get this photo, though, so it was worth it?

New York gets an incredible amount of shows in general, but the premium to see acts play the more "famous" venues (Radio City Music Hall, Madison Square Garden, etc.) or just bigger acts in general is hilarious. Mac DeMarco is playing Radio City and the ticket prices range from $30 to $55 before fees.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 7, 2017

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Mac Demarco fans are half teens, watch out! Oh wait, you paid a bunch to see Adele, please proceed. :D

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I paid ~70 bucks to see Andrew Bird but Eugene Mirman opened and it was in a really nice theater. Paid the same to see Jeff Mangum there as well.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

I know I already posted about it in this thread but upon further reflection the new Sylvan Esso is the best thing I've heard in years. The best thing about it is literally everything, and the second best thing about it is that it made me go back and listen to their first album more.

Yup, and they are finally stopping here in Michigan on tour for the first time ever. I am so pumped.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
So Arcade Fire advertised to me on Facebook about early access tickets from Citibank (THANK YOU CITI was on the ad, hilarious to me with their lyrics)...

Tickets for the cheapest seats in DC are $26, yet Ticketmaster charges $14 for fees... a 53% markup. No thanks.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

T Bowl posted:

So Arcade Fire advertised to me on Facebook about early access tickets from Citibank (THANK YOU CITI was on the ad, hilarious to me with their lyrics)...

Tickets for the cheapest seats in DC are $26, yet Ticketmaster charges $14 for fees... a 53% markup. No thanks.

I wonder if tickets to these shows are going to show up on Groupon, like they did for some of the more sparsely-attended Reflektour shows? Like, they'll sell out NYC no problem, but they were playing an 8,000-person venue in Bridgeport CT a few years ago and there was a last-minute fire sale to fill the seats, something like $22 for $45 seats.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

T Bowl posted:

$40 still sounds insanely cheap for Arcade Fire

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Henchman of Santa posted:

$40 still sounds insanely cheap for Arcade Fire

For some maybe but i'm not sitting up in angled nosebleed seats for that price myself. Pass.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Slandible posted:

Yup, and they are finally stopping here in Michigan on tour for the first time ever. I am so pumped.

Yeah they're coming to Okinawa basically never. Maybe if I take this job back in Sydney they'll lol no they aren't playing there either.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I'm enjoying the new Beach Fossils LP, which is a lot more focused than the previous stuff. Check it out if you like Real Estate or DIIV or that sort of thing

"May 1st"

"Saint Ivy"

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi4yYCL2reU

another new Cornelius tune

this one even has a really cool guitar solo

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Royal Canoe put out a new song featuring Begonia that's funky and good. https://noisey.vice.com/en_ca/article/just-phat-and-funky-wheelies-with-royal-canoe-and-begonia-in-fussin

Begonia is also worth checking out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkFASH7cTjQ

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
The new Phoenix is pretty gorgeous. Almost too floaty, but I'll take a light summery album two weeks before summer starts any day.

Currently digging through Planetarium, which I'm finding fascinating. My cat hated the end of Uranus.

The new Toro y Moi is breezy as well. Liking the pivot back to chiller tides. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg7r4kQUbPw

Not quite feeling the new Death From Above, especially since they dropped the 1979 part (I get it, but it added character). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4bsDgZa4ns

New Manchester Orchestra is moody and melancholy, just like always for them. Hard to believe Virgin Losing A Child was 10 years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaeWss85_vg

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Speaking of light... The new Bleachers is pretty solid and Poppy!

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
New Iron & Wine song and album announced as well. I guess it's supposed to be more stripped down closer to Our Endless Numbered Days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXC80ZXQhvQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

T Bowl posted:

New Iron & Wine song and album announced as well. I guess it's supposed to be more stripped down closer to Our Endless Numbered Days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXC80ZXQhvQ

Well that is good news indeed. I've really liked some of his more filled-out sounding songs, but it's far more hit and miss for me than the simpler stuff.