Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BabyRyoga posted:

Hailstorm isn't even a weather is it? It's just a nuke I thought. Most weathers might as well be nukes, they are cleared extremely quickly. White Frost actually has a chance of staying on the board when used in monster decks that have 3 normal frosts and Caranthir, though.

Well yeah I guess it isn't anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

RatHat posted:

Skellige Storm is going to get nerfed so hard. I'm guessing it'll be 1/1/2 instead of the 1/2/3 it is now. So better than Frost on a board with less than 5 units, better than Fog/Rain hitting one unit, but worse in other cases.

Position better. You can almost completely negate it with two golds (which includes your leader) on the right of whatever row it's on.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
No I'm speaking as someone who is using it. And most decks don't have the luxury to drop down golds(besides leader) whenever they want.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

No Wave posted:

Cynthia, I don't really understand why people play that card. I guess I've seen it around but it'd be my last pick of the three.
I play her in reveal Nilfgaard as she's a bit of a spike card and gives me another source of reveal but she isn't amazing. She does routinely go off for 14 or something and gives me intel though on their strongest card.

At lower ranks f2p though it's usually a Geralt.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah Cynthia is generally just a silver Geralt that reveals a card. There are definitely better NG silvers but she's still pretty solid, especially in a reveal deck.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

So, if you Dim Bomb things that have been strenghened, nothing happens. Base power indeed :(

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Every keg I open is like rolling for Leo!!

C'mon game! I'm getting like one or two per day!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Flipswitch posted:

I play her in reveal Nilfgaard as she's a bit of a spike card and gives me another source of reveal but she isn't amazing. She does routinely go off for 14 or something and gives me intel though on their strongest card.

At lower ranks f2p though it's usually a Geralt.
Isn't a Spike card just an optimal card?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

opponent's up 30 str, you've got one card in hand and leader power. he tries to call your bluff and passes second round after you won first round.

Then you windmill slam 80 str of reaver hunters on the board. :shrug:

The best part of my experience playing NR is people having -no idea- what your deck does to win, so they just make the worst misplays and decisions since all ladder has prepared them for is fighting against nilfgaard. It's pretty refreshing.

my own advice if you face reaver on ladder:

- locking the first reaver stops subsequent bonds from going off from that reaver, so you'll net like 12 or so str of value out of the first round from that if you're playing to win.
- vicovaro medic disrupts their combo if you can win round 1 by stealing a reaver hunter, taking a huge amount of the power boost out of it. 3 reavers is still a lot however.
- an early avallach or other binary draw is good for you, annoying to really bad for them. the deck relies on a lot of early thinning, they've lost out on a ton of power and card advantage if you stick their frosts or blue stripe commandos in their hand, instead of them getting pulled by mages.
- rot tossers and weather on the siege row work well. Their siege row is rarely going to have anything over/under 3 str, with very few ways to remove it (a lock and their mage's alzur's thunder usually?).
- be smart about scorch. that goes without saying, but they can usually stagger reaver hunters to get one's health above the others, so be prepared to reset one to scorch the other 3 hunters.
- If you see a kaedwani siege support, you want to block it at all costs because it's probably there to disrupt scorch effects by staggering unit health.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Pretty sure I played MegaMogwai twice this morning while he was playtesting/recording the ST Control heavy-special deck and he beat me both games. I was playtesting Monsters and just couldn't handle the triple 17+ bronze units he dropped at the end. I imagine i'll be in the video he posts on Youtube at some point, so my embarrassment will be saved for posterity.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

:siren: Dev Stream tomorrow at 9PM CEST (12PM PDT) on CDPR twich channel, they'll be talking about the next update savour your golems while they last :siren:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Man playing against queensguard with your lovely tweaked monster starting deck in casual really sucks!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

:siren: Dev Stream tomorrow at 9PM CEST (12PM PDT) on CDPR twich channel, they'll be talking about the next update savour your golems while they last :siren:

Finally, I'll get to find out what cards I can pump all this meteorite powder into :v:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Man playing against queensguard with your lovely tweaked monster starting deck in casual really sucks!
Could actually be winnable. Dagon leader, Frost Hounds + frosts, Harpies, Foglets, a fog, a wyvern or two, and best golds and silvers you got could stand a chance. QG hates frost, and monster bronzes are actually very good (streamers and reddit "experts" have finally come around on this).

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Weather Monster is solid against Queensguard decks, even with F2P decks. QG should only win if they are packing a lot of anti-weather since if you can keep their melee row under Frost (or Fog sometimes) then they are in a really bad place. Also consider that Griffin is actually a pretty decent tech card for Weather Monster in general to deny enemy graveyards.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

Flayer posted:

Weather Monster is solid against Queensguard decks, even with F2P decks. QG should only win if they are packing a lot of anti-weather since if you can keep their melee row under Frost (or Fog sometimes) then they are in a really bad place. Also consider that Griffin is actually a pretty decent tech card for Weather Monster in general to deny enemy graveyards.

It's still not great if the QG deck plays smart. My QG deck has very few other melee cards besides the bears, so if I get in a position where I don't have Gremist or a clear weather in hand I just play the QG as late as possible in the round.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

No Wave posted:

Isn't a Spike card just an optimal card?
I've always known it as just a card that has a sudden spike on the board.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

heckyeahpathy posted:

It's still not great if the QG deck plays smart. My QG deck has very few other melee cards besides the bears, so if I get in a position where I don't have Gremist or a clear weather in hand I just play the QG as late as possible in the round.

You can keep other rows under frost as well though. I don't know, QG is one of the few matchups I feel pretty good about with my weather monsters. Certainly a lot better than morkvarg damage decks.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Make sure you have card advantage in round 3, and save Nithral + Hound > Frost or Eredin > Hound > Frost for the very end of the game. People don't expect to lose to weather at the very end of the game, but i've made 20-30+ point plays by having a 1-2 card advantage with frost to take games, and it works especially well against Queensguard.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't think that new players have any CA cards. (Frightener is obviously borderline unfair in WM though - especially with Kayran - so if you got it, play it)

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Weather itself is a card advantage card since if you can engineer the board state correctly you can force your opponent to use an extra card or lose the round due to weather procs, or at least force them to waste a silver or gold card in return for your bronzes.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

:siren: There is a high chance the level 20 legendary reward resets your pity timer. If you've gotten a legendary recently and you're near level 20, you may want to save scraps and resume buying kegs afterwards.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is the "pity timer" a confirmed thing? I got a legendary in one of the first kegs I opened from doing the challenges and i'm almost level 20 with at least 50 kegs opened since, and no other legendaries.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 5, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

There's no official word yet (and likely won't be until the chinese client releases) but the man who's sorting through the information on 20,000 keg openings said that the pity timer's all but confirmed at 40 kegs.

link: https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6e2kbi/gwent_keg_data_update_on_22000_keg_sample_pity/

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think summoning circle would actually be good if it worked with disloyal units. It doesnt seem to right now unless Joachim is uniquely bugged. Mirroring your opponent's spy is almost always what you want to do.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

No Wave posted:

I think summoning circle would actually be good if it worked with disloyal units. It doesnt seem to right now unless Joachim is uniquely bugged. Mirroring your opponent's spy is almost always what you want to do.

I've been making lots of plays with it lately with my monsters starter deck, usually to throw enemy silvers back at them. The main problem is that some of the time the card bugs out after a gold or leader has been played and fizzles instead of summoning the previous unit, and that seems to happen particularly often against Skellige for some reason. I remember one game I played yesterday was 1st round bear by my opponent, Triss by me to kill the bear off, then he played King Bran, and I played Summoning Circle to presumably get the bear, but it fizzled.

So either the original target being dead or the fact that the leader card was played had some adverse interaction and caused the card to bug out.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I wish I had more special snowflake golds. :shobon:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah if it the bugs on it were fixed it would be very playable, like Bekker's twisted mirror. There seem to be a lot of bugs though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Expect lots of monster and weather on ranked today

swim and noxious are both trying out monster decks on their streams today

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Total aside but Swim is by far the most enjoyable gwent streamer imo. He plays the game absolutely as it's meant to be played by giving every card a fair shot, has very good taste in decks and cards (aside from dwarves) and has a sharp eye for which as-of-yet undiscovered mechanics are abusable. Highly recommended, and educational if you can parse out when he's being genuine about how good a card is (there was one stream when he went on and on about how decent dijkstra was in CB and then expressed shock and regret when enthusiastically told him that they just crafted dijkstra).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 5, 2017

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
I wish Swim would stop making weather/spell based decks though, I can't take it anymore.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

His MO is to find undiscovered abusable mechanics, and unfortunately, there was a lot of fertile ground in decks running lots of weather. The Joachim into 18 str gold impera enforcer is as classic swim as it gets.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Swim has always been responsible for pretty much every, mostly ST; degenerate deck CB. His original cancer elves was a thing to behold.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Estraysian posted:

I wish Swim would stop making weather/spell based decks though, I can't take it anymore.

They are arguably one of the most competitive archetypes at the moment though. He recently hit top 30 in MMR with an experimental Skellige spell deck. In a meta swamped with weather, power resetting effects and units/specials that destroy the highest strength unit, playing big units after your oppponent has used those options is dominant.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

No Wave posted:

Total aside but Swim is by far the most enjoyable gwent streamer imo. He plays the game absolutely as it's meant to be played by giving every card a fair shot, has very good taste in decks and cards (aside from dwarves) and has a sharp eye for which as-of-yet undiscovered mechanics are abusable. Highly recommended, and educational if you can parse out when he's being genuine about how good a card is (there was one stream when he went on and on about how decent dijkstra was in CB and then expressed shock and regret when enthusiastically told him that they just crafted dijkstra).

yeah and he's also #38 in ladder with them

"heh, deck is kind of bad but let's play it a bit more"

*stays at 3300+ MMR the whole time*

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Kawabata posted:

yeah and he's also #38 in ladder with them

"heh, deck is kind of bad but let's play it a bit more"

*stays at 3300+ MMR the whole time*

Ah, so like the reverse of hsdogdog.

Minrad posted:

Expect lots of monster and weather on ranked today

swim and noxious are both trying out monster decks on their streams today

I've played nothing but Monster Weather since open beta :v:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm not normally a fan of normie cancer decks but monster weather is certainly enjoyable, for the same reason it's unenjoyable for the opponent. There aren't really correct answers to harpies and frost hounds.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

So, apparently casting water is like eating. Water Hag triggers Consume effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFyEm_Nno_Q

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I was playing consume the other day and noticed nekkars being proc'd off of, I think, effects where you choose cards out of an option like water hag and ge'els. I honestly don't get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric WK
Apr 10, 2008

i'm a festival,
i'm a parade.
I finally hit Rank 15 today after a ton of back and forth in the low 2000s. Sitting around Top 250 Global and Top 30 NA playing Renew/Avallach Skellige the past couple days.

I'm very excited for patch news tomorrow even though that anti-Nilfgaard list will hopefully no longer be quite as necessary.