Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'd disagree (about the HomePod being a decent deal at $350).

They're competing directly with Echo ($180 at its most expense) and Google Home ($109). However, they want to position a HomePod as a premium product which actually does less than the Echo (but is on par with a Home).

Unless you are hardup for a room speaker, I don't see the point.

Edit: Like the point of the Echo is to link you into ordering stuff through Amazon. The fact that it can play music, provide facts, do timers, etc is all gravy on top. Apple took all the gravy, made it the main course, and presented it on a very nice fine china table setting.

It's a glorified bluetooth speaker paired with my iPhone.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ah yes iPod Hi-Fi was what I was remembering.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mustache Ride posted:

Google Home: $129
Amazon Dot: $50
Amazon Echo: $129
Sonos: $199

Home Pod: $349

Yeah, sure

The Home and Echo kind of sound like poo poo though. That is the low end for Sonos and doesn't have Siri, I'm guessing it is closer in sound quality to the Sonos 3 which is $299.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sir Lemming posted:

To be honest, that speaker looks like it's probably a very fine product, and the emphasis on music is smart. They've always done music better than everyone else. At the same time, though, background music in the kitchen doesn't really demand perfect sound quality, so I'm not sure their vision of using this for whole-home audio will really pan out. I ain't mad at it though.

I could stomach the price if it truly did sound that amazing, but I know it'll be garbage compared to my my floorstanders for any serious listening. Looks nice at least.

Bigger problems are the fact that it'll only work with HomeKit (expensive) IoT stuff, and Siri is poo poo.

Did they announce that Siri can control media playback in apps other than Apple Music yet?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
iPad Pro 12.9 256 GB ordered, arrives 14th. The 256 GB version is cheaper than the 128 GB version was yesterday.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
If the HomePod worked with all my non HomeKit smart home stuff I'd be on it day one, just because all our other poo poo is Apple. But since it doesn't looks like the echo dot will stay with some kind of speaker attached to it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Have other voice assistants really surpassed Siri by that much? It works great 95% of the time for me but I haven't really been paying attention to poo poo outside of the Apple ecosystem.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Three Olives posted:

The Home and Echo kind of sound like poo poo though. That is the low end for Sonos and doesn't have Siri, I'm guessing it is closer in sound quality to the Sonos 3 which is $299.

I'll believe that when I see it.

Also, there's no way Siri is as functional as Google or Alexa at this point, even with DEEP LEARNING and the boring man voice. They're way behind in this space and very overpriced. HomePod will most likely never receive a refresh.

This is not the iPod, this is a poor copy of existing tech that's already in a saturated market.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Decius posted:

Apple isn't adding this poo poo that their messiah was adamantly against because nobody wants it. Lenovo, HP, Dell, Toshiba - they all have pen entry for their convertibles.

TBF they're either aping or using the same tech thats in the surface line. Microsoft pushes the surface as the reference point OEMs should hit....It just happens to be hardware people want to buy.

A good, quality notation platform is the killer bussness app.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Have other voice assistants really surpassed Siri by that much? It works great 95% of the time for me but I haven't really been paying attention to poo poo outside of the Apple ecosystem.

Alexa has integration with third-party services ranging from "order a pizza", to "play a Batman choose-your-own-adventure audiobook" (yes really), to guitar tuning, to all kinds of smart home stuff.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Is there where we link that one thread where everyone was crying about the first iPod's price tag?

The HomePod uugggh isn't an iPod, but Apple's sold far less for more.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Three Olives posted:

At best this sounds a bit less like poo poo, but probably even with all the directional tech (these things can't go deep enough to care about room modes in the first place) I doubt they even reach a Sonos Play 1, let alone actually good speakers. So they are too expensive for people who don't care much about sound and too lovely for people who do. The name Apple will surely sell a shitton, but I don't see a good product here.

With both Echo Dot and Google Home I can redirect the sound to my non-lovely speakers, haven't seen much about that with this, but they went a mile a minute, so I might have missed it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Homepod will def move their homekit agenda forward. People don't wanna use their phones to control all of their homes, sometimes you wanna walk in and "lights on".

I just wish the security conscious platform was more open or interoperable.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is there where we link that one thread where everyone was crying about the first iPod's price tag?

It costs more than the new entry-level iPad which can do so much more (except blast high quality music from 7 tweeter speakers).

It's at least $100 more expensive than it needs to be.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Krispy Kareem posted:

Except the iPod, when it debuted, had no true equal or anything that surpassed it. It's weakest link was that you had to have a Mac.

That's not the case for the HomePod.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
How long have the product pages on Apple.com been switched over to the new typeface, and what typeface is it? So weird reading about new products in something other than Myriad.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Here's a hot take for you guys: HomePod is an overpriced speaker for bourgeois retirees to use for playing music on game night with their friends and isn't competing with the same people who are buying an Echo or Google's poo poo.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
"Hey Siri" is an annoying activation phrase, anyway. It's weird, but "Alexa" seems much smoother to me despite also being three syllables.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Roadie posted:

Alexa has integration with third-party services ranging from "order a pizza", to "play a Batman choose-your-own-adventure audiobook" (yes really), to guitar tuning, to all kinds of smart home stuff.

Siri can accept 3rd party APIs now so wouldn't it be just up to devs to add that kind of functionality?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

maduin posted:

Here's a hot take for you guys: HomePod is an overpriced speaker for bourgeois retirees to use for playing music on game night with their friends and isn't competing with the same people who are buying an Echo or Google's poo poo.

Competing with Sonos doesn't seem much easier though.

Roadie posted:

"Hey Siri" is an annoying activation phrase, anyway. It's weird, but "Alexa" seems much smoother to me despite also being three syllables.

It is, but you also get a lot more false positives. I got one during the conference from my TV for example.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Was on the fence about buying an Echo until I saw what Apple had up their sleeves and now I don't have to wait any longer!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Now its time for Microsoft to do their "me too!!!" and release a smart speaker... Maybe they'll call it the "Surface Speaker". It will feature Cortana, and only work with Groove Music. It will have a app/skill store with 10 apps in it, 8 of which don't work. 3 people will buy it, and strangely like it. And then MS will eventually forget they even made it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

maduin posted:

And here's a hot take for you: who do you think are buying Echoes and "Google's poo poo?" It's the same drat market.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Siri can accept 3rd party APIs now so wouldn't it be just up to devs to add that kind of functionality?

Sirikit allows certain carefully defined use cases/types of interaction. So while you can now say things like "get me a ride from Uber" you can't say "play 'Bohemian Rhapsody' in Spotify" for example. iOS 10 Siri can be used by 3rd party apps for audio/video calling, messaging, sending and receiving payments, searching photos, starting workouts, booking rides, and that's it.

edit: I thought I saw in the Keynote they were somewhat expanding the Siri types of interaction in iOS 11, but it's still a far cry from the open skills API of Alexa, and of course there are no apps to run on HomePod; 3rd party app access to Siri only works on devices that can run apps, so iPhone/iPad.

fordan fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 5, 2017

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Apple Pay iMessage is rad. Also where is the summer student discount Apple

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dugong posted:

Apple Pay iMessage is rad

No idea how it's going to work. Is it common for debit cards to support Apple Pay? Mine doesn't (with Tangerine in Canada). I sure as hell am not going to be sending people cash advances off my credit card, so I guess this is once again a non-starter for many non-US users.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decius posted:

At best this sounds a bit less like poo poo, but probably even with all the directional tech (these things can't go deep enough to care about room modes in the first place) I doubt they even reach a Sonos Play 1, let alone actually good speakers. So they are too expensive for people who don't care much about sound and too lovely for people who do. The name Apple will surely sell a shitton, but I don't see a good product here.

It weighs 5.5 pounds and has an A8 chip, way, way, way overkill for Siri, Google Home uses an A-9, Echo A-8 so it's at least 3 generations ahead so it is conceivable that they are pulling off some surprisingly impressive audio for it's size. The Devialet has gotten some pretty great reviews for it's size (Although it is priced outrageously)

stevewm posted:

Now its time for Microsoft to do their "me too!!!" and release a smart speaker... Maybe they'll call it the "Surface Speaker". It will feature Cortana, and only work with Groove Music. It will have a app/skill store with 10 apps in it, 8 of which don't work. 3 people will buy it, and strangely like it. And then MS will eventually forget they even made it.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/8/15577126/harman-kardon-invoke-microsoft-cortana-speaker

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I know they're all probably bad in this regard but no way would I let Amazon listen to audio in my house 24/7.:lol:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

........ :bang:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Pivo posted:

No idea how it's going to work. Is it common for debit cards to support Apple Pay? Mine doesn't (with Tangerine in Canada). I sure as hell am not going to be sending people cash advances off my credit card, so I guess this is once again a non-starter for many non-US users.

I think so. Mine does.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

To be honest, that speaker looks like it's probably a very fine product, and the emphasis on music is smart. They've always done music better than everyone else. At the same time, though, background music in the kitchen doesn't really demand perfect sound quality, so I'm not sure their vision of using this for whole-home audio will really pan out. I ain't mad at it though.
Someone forgot about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Ywhw7S8v0

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

Except the iPod, when it debuted, had no true equal or anything that surpassed it. It's weakest link was that you had to have a Mac.

That's not the case for the HomePod.

No, it's not. The HomePod is pretty underwhelming. But Apple probably developed it with spare parts after someone said, "oh poo poo, we could put Siri here!". So it won't hurt when it fails.

stevewm posted:

But not before they release a special edition. In brown.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I have one, it sounds pretty decent TBH. It lives on my dining room connected to a Chromecast Audio. Also I have a Tivoli Model 2 in my kitchen. :colbert:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

stevewm posted:

........ :bang:
That page is dated beginning of May.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Pivo posted:

Contactless payments are widely supported in the U.K. Any contactless terminal should be able to accept Apple Pay and most banks have enabled credit and debit cards. This peer to peer should hopefully cut out the horrible transfer system my bank currently has

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dugong posted:

Contactless payments are widely supported in the U.K. Any contactless terminal should be able to accept Apple Pay and most banks have enabled credit and debit cards. This peer to peer should hopefully cut out the horrible transfer system my bank currently has

I don't think you understood my post.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Why don't they just dust off the iPod HiFi?

I mean, put an iPod with Siri on it and call it a day.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm surprised Apple is only charging $350 for the HomePod. I was expecting them to go full bougie and go for the $499 price tag. For now I'll just stick with my $50 echo dot.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Your echo dot probably isn't going to get anywhere near the HomePod audio wise. Also it's snitchin.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Matt Zerella posted:

Your echo dot probably isn't going to get anywhere near the HomePod audio wise. Also it's snitchin.

Oh yeah definitely. But it's nice enough to read off news/audiobooks to me. Privacy is a concern though, and Apple seems way more committed to it. Hopefully that remains consistent when these go down in price within the next couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tippis posted:

The 12" is 1" more and needs 4–6 times more ports than it has.

The 11" was perfect; the 12" is a downgrade in every useful way. :colbert:

You know the Retina MacBook is smaller than the Air because of its narrower bezels, right? Or are you just mad about more screen space for some reason