Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I'm extremely pumped for the next few episodes of the anime. Erwin leading the charge to get Eren back, surprising the shifters by leading a huge pack of titans into them, and attacking Bert after losing his loving arm is probably my favorite thing in the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't like the thing they did

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

comedyblissoption posted:

the animated beast titan fight is gonna be pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiT00UXwC90

Levi standing on the wall covered in titan vapor was a great scene.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

the animated beast titan fight is gonna be pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiT00UXwC90

This actually made me think of something, how did they get the horses that they did their suicide charge on if that one guy let them all run away?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Saagonsa posted:

This actually made me think of something, how did they get the horses that they did their suicide charge on if that one guy let them all run away?

They let the extra horses go I believe.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing the Koei AOT game and man, i know the story is more of an afterthought for these, but this whole thing would work so much better if they were allowed to show gore. Titans only ever bite people conveniently off-screen, or swallow them whole. It makes the scene with Eren's leg kinda confusing and incoherent, you just see a Titan snap after him but they never actually show that he lost a leg, he suddenly just crashes and his leg is then always kept out of frame. Similarly for his arm, which makes the scene where Armin meets up with him and grasps his new-grown arm in amazement just pointless.

It misses a ton of little things like that. Like Levi grabbing the dying scout's hand, which is perfectly pristine and clean in the game, undermining the whole point of showing that the neat freak gets his hand dirty to do the dying soldier a last service. Or completely misusing the joke of that one dude in Levi's squad constantly biting his tongue, which happens because he's a showoff who can't keep his mouth shut while riding. Instead, he now for some reason keeps biting his tongue when he's not even anywhere close to a horse. Way to miss the point.

Gameplay is fun for a while, though. Zipping around at incredible speeds through alleys and trees as Levi is really cool. Shame about the story presentation,

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I still go back to the game on occasion because it's just so loving fun to play.
When you consider the type of game it is and who made it, you shouldn't expect much from the "story" though. That game is purely fun gameplay.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah, the game is actually surprisingly super fun for what it is. The story was just a retelling of the anime/manga plot with some extra junk added on the end, so really I didn't expect much from the start.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the giant bomb quick look of that game is the whole reason I looked into the anime/manga

tho I'm not spending $60 on it

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

the giant bomb quick look of that game is the whole reason I looked into the anime/manga

tho I'm not spending $60 on it

Well, you can get it for like $35-40 new, so

E: The PS4 version, that is, dunno how much the PC version goes for

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 6, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Raws are out, not sure since when.
Not much seems to be happening yet, the Eldian soldiers, including the Warrior candidates, return to their ghetto and meet up with their families. Reiner's eating dinner together with Gabi's family for some reason. The long-haired guy with the armband on the wrong arm we're suspecting to be Eren is now missing his left leg and seems to have mixed in among the crippled soldiers. The last third or so of the chapter is Reiner having an extended flashback to his childhood and his training as a child-soldier-slash-mass-murderer.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Reiner is the real main character of the series, if you think about it.
He had the biggest amount of interesting things happening to him, from being a titan shifter, being a traitor, almost dying a few times, losing friends, having extended flashbacks, and being placed in the setting in a interesting position, morally and politically speaking, as high ranking Eldian fighting for Marley against other Eldians.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Turin Turambar posted:

Reiner is the real main character of the series, if you think about it.
He had the biggest amount of interesting things happening to him, from being a titan shifter, being a traitor, almost dying a few times, losing friends, having extended flashbacks, and being placed in the setting in a interesting position, morally and politically speaking, as high ranking Eldian fighting for Marley against other Eldians.
...I think you're right, he actually is Eren's dark mirror. Kill all humans vs kill all titans. That's an interesting angle.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I've read it in Spanish. Being my native language, I didn't have problems reading it :P.

I really was waiting for the story to switch again to the island, but seeing Reiner feeling depressed reminiscing the 'demon's island' was super good, and seeing Reiner's life, how his mother's education (and the true reason of her obsession) marked him is a nice contrast to Eren.

More and more it's clear to me SnK is a seinen. It started in the first volumes as more in the shonen camp (but not totally, it never was something like MHA), it got more complexity in both plot, mystery elements and characterization in the arc equivalent to the second season of anime, putting it a bit more in the seinen camp, the civil war arc increased it a bit more by introducing more politics and less titan fights, but the last chapters finally seal the deal. No sudden twists, just more character exploration of a broken man that serves as nice counterpoint to the story seen until now, and more setting building.

I think it shows a change within the author. Years have passed since he started it, and he is now less interested in a group of acrobats with swords fighting horrific giants and more in exploring a ever-complex war story where he enemy have families that love them and cry for them, truth is subjective and partial, indoctrination is a tool used as the most lethal weapon, genocide is a wish, the cycle of violence seems unending, and the men that see the true horrors of war are marked forever.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Aumanor posted:

Raws are out, not sure since when.
Not much seems to be happening yet, the Eldian soldiers, including the Warrior candidates, return to their ghetto and meet up with their families. Reiner's eating dinner together with Gabi's family for some reason. The long-haired guy with the armband on the wrong arm we're suspecting to be Eren is now missing his left leg and seems to have mixed in among the crippled soldiers. The last third or so of the chapter is Reiner having an extended flashback to his childhood and his training as a child-soldier-slash-mass-murderer.

Based on some loose translations posted on Reddit and from looking at the raws: Reiner and Gabi are cousins. Most of the training flashback seems to show that Reiner sucked at everything (shows him getting beaten by Galliard and Marcel in a ruck, Bert in marksmanship, Annie in combat) and his best qualification was his proclaimed loyalty to Marley. Some more parallels with Eren, who was also pretty mediocre at most stuff but was good at being angry all the time.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwfwjEroBXc

The full version of the opening came out. The music sometimes calls back to the previous two openings when the lyrics are referencing related subjects, which is a cute touch.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Chapter's out

http://readms.net/r/attack_on_titan/094/4324/1

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Y'know before I was pretty convinced that the whole "Reiner is going to defect/encourage defecting in order to free the Eldians" was the direction things are going in but the brainwashing by Marley seems a little too thorough for that to be viable. At least, without a real come to Jesus meeting between the more open minded Eldians and the islanders.

Maybe he if he works with foreign powers to bring down Marley in exchange for Eldian liberation? That seems crazy but who knows whether or not the rest of the world views the Titans themselves as a scourge or if they recognize that Marley are the ones using them militarily

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The one-legged guy is definitely Eren, that speech bubble wouldn't have blocked out his face otherwise. Plus there's the fact that he's in a group that doesn't have any relatives or anywhere else to go.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Translation make sense or should I wait?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

change my name posted:

The one-legged guy is definitely Eren, that speech bubble wouldn't have blocked out his face otherwise. Plus there's the fact that he's in a group that doesn't have any relatives or anywhere else to go.

The only problem is that Eren probably couldn't pull off the 1 leg thing, considering titan healing

tap my mountain posted:

Translation make sense or should I wait?

They seemed fine to me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I laughed at young Annie stomping the grasshopper.

The way the art hid that guy's face was super suspicious but if it was Eren his severed limbs should have been smoking. Maybe they've just found some way to suppress the regeneration temporarily.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Saagonsa posted:

The only problem is that Eren probably couldn't pull off the 1 leg thing, considering titan healing

They seemed fine to me.

The same guy was seen watching them, alone, in the previous issue. He could've cut his leg off and it would have scabbed over already, since it takes a while for the wound to actually heal all the way.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
We know from Reiner during the Utgard arc that a shifter can surpress their regeneration. He got bitten by the titan but didn't start smoking and healing the wound until he revealed himself to Eren hours later.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

change my name posted:

The same guy was seen watching them, alone, in the previous issue. He could've cut his leg off and it would have scabbed over already, since it takes a while for the wound to actually heal all the way.

But titan healing creates a lot of steam, which would probably be noticeable. Like, it could be him, but I'll believe it when I see it.
E:

In It For The Tank posted:

We know from Reiner during the Utgard arc that a shifter can surpress their regeneration.

Oh, right, forgot about that, nevermind

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
He's had 4 years to train, maybe he can control the regeneration now. That said, sending Eren to infiltrate seems like an extremely risky plan.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Seeing the Marley's total dehumanization of their disposable child soldiers, their omnipresent and constant brainwashing, I completely agree that the Paradis Islanders are exactly the same morally and both deserve total genocide. /s

But this is a quietly brutal chapter, and an ugly insight into the mainland society. I think it's particularly interesting that Reiner is revealed to be only half Eldian. It doesn't seem to have affected his ability to transform at all, so maybe Ymir was only 1/4 Eldian? Also, have we seen the other cadet, Pokkis, anywhere?

Looking at their world, the stated reason for the war -- that oil allows a modern military to overcome Titan strength -- is a complete lie. Marley want the Coordinator Titan's ability to rewrite memories and destroy dissent. Nothing else matters to this regime.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

They seemed fine to me.

Ty

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

RatHat posted:

He's had 4 years to train, maybe he can control the regeneration now. That said, sending Eren to infiltrate seems like an extremely risky plan.

They'd want to send in a shifter since they have the safest way out assuming something goes wrong, although the motivation for sending someone to infiltrate at all is a little unclear right now. Presumably 4 years of capturing ships has given them enough intelligence on Marley that they're not just sending him in as a spy, so it's possible he's trying to reconnect with Reiner or Zeke.

E:

Squidster posted:

I think it's particularly interesting that Reiner is revealed to be only half Eldian. It doesn't seem to have affected his ability to transform at all, so maybe Ymir was only 1/4 Eldian? Also, have we seen the other cadet, Pokkis, anywhere?

It's never explicitly stated what Ymir's heritage is, and it's possible that her weird Jaw Titan transformation is just an oversight/retcon by Isayama rather than the product of an incompatible host for the titan power.

JahRoo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 7, 2017

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Squidster posted:

Also, have we seen the other cadet, Pokkis, anywhere?[/spoiler]

That's Galliard, the current Jaws Titan. Galliard is his last name, so his full name is Pokko Galliard and his brother was Marcel Galliard.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Squidster posted:

Also, have we seen the other cadet, Pokkis, anywhere?

As stated above, he is the current Jaw titan. I would further point out that what this implies from this chapter is that he was the one of the seven who was not chosen, which further explains his recent verbal abuse of Reiner, since this makes it clear that Reiner was chosen over him despite not being as "qualified".

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

I'm just mad that we still don't know what the ninth titan is.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Astro Ambulance posted:

I'm just mad that we still don't know what the ninth titan is.

Sounds like maybe Marley can't find anyone compatible with it?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The 9th titan power is the long lost Moai titan

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Maybe this was something I missed, but if each of the shifter titan powers are unique and have to be handed down for a temporary amount of time from warrior to warrior, how is it that there are presumably hundreds or thousands of colossal titans in the walls?

Is the colossal not one of the 9?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

threeagainstfour posted:

Maybe this was something I missed, but if each of the shifter titan powers are unique and have to be handed down for a temporary amount of time from warrior to warrior, how is it that there are presumably hundreds or thousands of colossal titans in the walls?

Is the colossal not one of the 9?

We have no idea. Maybe something to do with the coordinate?

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

It seems like there can only be nine titan shifters, but if you titanize someone with colossal titan fluid they will be real big, but not a shifter.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A mindless colossal titan sounds pretty useless.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

RatHat posted:

A mindless colossal titan sounds pretty useless.

The founding titan can control the mindless titans so assuming that works on the colossal ones they'd be pretty useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

The other way around, it has to be Eren precisely because of the titan healing. He as titan shifter is the only one (okay, not counting Armin here) that can cut a leg not be a big problem because he can regenerate it later. The anime reminded us 3 episodes ago they can activate or deactivate at will the regeneration. Reiner did it with the broken arm.