Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Gun Jam posted:

A surprise, lostech mech. nice.

Three if you count the Highlander and King Crab. I think there were only 5 left in the IS by the Third Succession War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

Misc Stuff including Special Weapons.

Small, Medium, Large Pulse Lasers, Gauss Rifles are in the game, as well as Double Heat Sinks
Each weapon will have about 5 different manufacturers each.
There will be 170 Star Systems
Ghost heat
Each House will have their own behavior in how they fight in game

!!!!!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Skoll posted:

Three if you count the Highlander and King Crab. I think there were only 5 left in the IS by the Third Succession War.

The Black Knight was in a similar boat. It was dying the slow death of not being manufactured any more and damaged units being refurbed with standard tech.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
BadOptics, you troll. Voted 5 ghost heat per turn. :laugh:

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Black Knight was in a similar boat. It was dying the slow death of not being manufactured any more and damaged units being refurbed with standard tech.

Rare but not extinct everywhere in the IS except ComStar's armories, at least. That's a plausible angle to unearth practically any number of Star League mechs. Unlocking access via a tough mission or mission chain, sure, even better. I mean going up against Comstar should probably be considered at least halfway to suicidal, right? That said, I want to actually use a King Crab in a game featuring the King Crab. :colbert:

or just let me find it in a hangar if the RNG loves me, I really don't have a strong opinion on how other than "if it's in the game, I'd better be able to use it"

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 6, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm pretty sure two of the only Highlanders in existence before the Clan invasion were the ones that belonged to Rhonda Snord and Davis McCall. McCall didn't even get his until after they found the Helm core in 3028.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The laserboat Atlas is playable in the beta right now. It has virtually NO ARMOUR and is setup with ppcs.

The Wolverine, Cataphract, Firestarter and Enforcer are all playable as well and have their unique models. The Enforcer seems fine and a good robot, the Wolverine has a damaged look to it and isn't rigged for it's SRM launcher (still fires just no animation).

The Cataphract and Firestarters work great except their weapons all glow as though they are overheated, which is appropriate because the Firestarter can force an instant shutdown on any mech with one attack. Multiple attacks make them so hot that they take structure damage everytime they turn back on.

With an Angel of Death pilot the Firestarter can DFA for 45x2dmg every turn on top of using it's flamers and mg's, jump for a huge distance and basically take an enemy mech out of the equation for that turn. I kept an Orion shutdown for 4 turns in a row when I tried it out. Because of it's loud out, the FS can fire all of it's weapons with any CC attack.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 6, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Skoll posted:

I'm pretty sure two of the only Highlanders in existence before the Clan invasion were the ones that belonged to Rhonda Snord and Davis McCall. McCall didn't even get his until after they found the Helm core in 3028.

I am reasonably sure this is incorrect, but I may also be remembering TRO:3025 fluff which is really not a good thing to be determining what's 'correct' or not. There's this random fun-fact type thing bouncing around in my head that the CC had almost as many Highlanders as Catapults immediately after the 4SW. That may be more of a commentary on the state of the CCAF post-4SW than the number of Highlanders.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skoll posted:

Yeah, the highlander was just about gone. The Black Knight was rare but not quite impossible to find.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Phrosphor posted:

The laserboat Atlas is playable in the beta right now. It has virtually NO ARMOUR and is setup with ppcs.

The Wolverine, Cataphract, Firestarter and Enforcer are all playable as well and have their unique models. The Enforcer seems fine and a good robot, the Wolverine has a damaged look to it and isn't rigged for it's SRM launcher (still fires just no animation).

The Cataphract and Firestarters work great except their weapons all glow as though they are overheated, which is appropriate because the Firestarter can force an instant shutdown on any mech with one attack. Multiple attacks make them so hot that they take structure damage everytime they turn back on.

Way to steal my thunder rear end in a top hat...

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

loving Gauss rifles? YES!

You can already rig them on your mechs by editing config files. Someone posted the jaegermech with like 12 gauss wiping out a lance of atlases or something.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Q_res posted:

Way to steal my thunder rear end in a top hat...

I really like the look of the Enforcer, it can fire it's LL and AC10 every turn pretty reliably as well.

I forgot that that Blackjack works as well, so you beat me there!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

kingcom posted:

You can already rig them on your mechs by editing config files. Someone posted the jaegermech with like 12 gauss wiping out a lance of atlases or something.

I don't think it has special effects or anything yet though fwiw.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

I am reasonably sure this is incorrect, but I may also be remembering TRO:3025 fluff which is really not a good thing to be determining what's 'correct' or not. There's this random fun-fact type thing bouncing around in my head that the CC had almost as many Highlanders as Catapults immediately after the 4SW. That may be more of a commentary on the state of the CCAF post-4SW than the number of Highlanders.

Well after the 4SW the cappies couldnt make anything heavier than a Vindicator so I'm not sure how much that means. Also Gray's Death Legion had a Highlander in it aswell. The accurate description is always 'there are only a handful of these floating around at the moment not a specific number' when it comes to the out of production mechs. Plus there is literally an unlimited number of undiscovered star league weapon caches and potentially family heirloom mechs of star league origin if the game is set in a Periphery state. You know the region that had the most star league mechs lost in combat as they all made the periphery join the star league by force.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

kingcom posted:

The accurate description is always 'there are only a handful of these floating around at the moment not a specific number' when it comes to the out of production mechs.

Depends on the mech. By 3025 the Jenner was out of production but the Combine had so loving many floating around that they were still really common. It was one of those ones people had an eye on as being the next batch of lostech once attrition started getting the better of them, though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what is The Best Mech and what is The Worst Mech

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

From a TT Standpoint? Nightstar.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
None of my favorite 'Mechs are in this game (yet), but I think the Centurion is the best 'Mech currently available.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Skoll posted:

This isn't how you spell "Hellbringer". :colbert:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skoll posted:

gently caress anything post-3030. The tech change up made TT a lot worse in a lot of ways.

I've got a personal soft spot for the Marauder, even though I recognize some of the problems it has. The Awesome was arguably the best stock design with Third SW tech.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Stock Rifleman is a pretty hot contender for 'worst mech'

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Cowcaster posted:

The Best Mech is clearly the almighty King Crab. The Worst Mech is....Marauder? I'd have said Charger but in this game the Charger would probably be fine (ultra cheap, all those small lasers get to fire during melee, melee hits like a truck cause it's got arms and is heavy as hell).

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

In terms of how the it performs in the Beta?

The Kintaro is probably the best mech, as for worst? The Awesome probably doesn't bring enough to the table for it's cost with the way PPC's are setup at the moment.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

:mrwhite:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

This was exactly the point my group noped out and went back to running 3rd succession war era campaigns.

edit: I remember I bought the source book that featured those retarded mini-mechs, we passed it around over a few weeks in a summer, and all agreed that it was retarded as gently caress.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Technically not a mech!
Instead it's part of the artistic abortions that were the first two generations of protomechs.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Depends on the mech. By 3025 the Jenner was out of production but the Combine had so loving many floating around that they were still really common. It was one of those ones people had an eye on as being the next batch of lostech once attrition started getting the better of them, though.

I'm specifically referring to the 'theres only 2 highlanders left' and saying 'theres actually a handful of highlanders left'.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Protomechs were baaaad.

I feel everything after 3040 was a mistake.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skoll posted:

Protomechs were baaaad.

Look at this smart person here.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Skoll posted:

This man got it right. It's got an unassailable loadout that is good at all ranges, and every single one of its weapons, of which it can keep most of them firing on a turn by turn basis, are a threat of instant death for any mech. It's basically the problem of assault battlemech design solved, and as such it is inherently degenerate in TT play. It's basically the equivalent of a card that needs to be banned in something like Magic.

Skoll posted:

Protomechs were baaaad.

This man got it wrong. If we end the timeline at 3040, we don't get the Piranha, the Alacorn, or the Yellowjacket.

(or the tarantula, or the scarabus, or the)

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

In table top for this time period the best optimal mech is probably the Hunchback 4P (the medium laser boat hunchback) because the medium laser was just so clearly the most optimal damage to heat weapon in the game. The worst in tabletop is probably something like the jaegermech because its just a giant ball of ammo with zero loving armour and piss poor firepower because of the garbage that is autocannons.

In the game so far, going absolute cost for cost I'm thinking the Awesome 8Q is probably the worst outside of very specific circumstances because of how under performing the PPCs are and how much the mech struggles with their heat on top. In terms of actual best mech I'm leaning towards either the Trebutchet or Catapult due mostly to how fantastic LRMs are at the moment. Both are solid mechs that are a pain to deal with and the Catapult jump jetting away is fantastically mobile on top of having some frustrating close combat firepower.

Skoll posted:

Protomechs were baaaad.

People hating protomechs is super bizzarre. Like if you think they look dumb I guess that makes sense but they were goddamn nuts in tabletop due to their miss chance thing. They were really great as crazy movement blocker mechs that did the swarm of bees cutting down a bear type of combat that Battle Armour was originally designed to do but in reality they were just use for area denial or protecting your long range mechs rather than actually trying to swarm something.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You guys mean the Hellstar, the abomination with 4 cERPPCs and 30 DHS, although the Nightstar is a perfectly solid mech as well.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Center of gravity: A case study

Also those laser nipples.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

wiegieman posted:

You guys mean the Hellstar, the abomination with 4 cERPPCs and 30 DHS, although the Nightstar is a perfectly solid mech as well.

You're absolutely correct. I thought he meant the hellstar.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

This man got it wrong. If we end the timeline at 3040, we don't get the Piranha, the Alacorn, or the Yellowjacket.

I'm all for just reformatting what happens after 3040. No Clan invasion, no Jihad, no FedCom Civil War, no Dark Ages.

Keep new poo poo gradually coming online but take it verrrrrrrrrry slow on tech changes. Make the IS fragment more all around so the eternal galactic war we all know and love keeps churning without bullshit trash born humanity with dumb rules and super mechs, and a faction of nutso religious fanatics dropping nukes on everything in an effort to kill off every lore thing long time players loved.

E: I always get the Hellstar and Nightstar confused but both are great mechs regardless.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I would actually say the JLN-5C Juliano is a strong contender for Best 'Mech.

For those of you who don't follow 3145 and associated bullshit (which I really enjoy), it's a 4/6 95 ton Assault with three Clan ER Large Lasers, three Clan Medium Pulse Lasers, and four Clan Streak SRM-6s with max (or very near it) armor and enough heat sinks to either fire all the ERLLs or all of the close in weapons (assuming they even fire) and not run into overheat penalties. It is a vicious walking killing machine that averages upwards of 25 hits and 60 tabletop damage per turn. It's faster than and nearly as tough as an Awesome, shoots farther just as hard and twice as tough as a Kintaro with 100% more average missile hits. Its only real weakness is the IS XL Engine (allegedly; we don't have the record sheet for this one yet save that we know it's all Clan-tech weapons) and a proclivity to overheat if you decide to melt someone's face off with both missiles and lasers.

And it's a Marik 'Mech, which makes me very happy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

This man got it right. It's got an unassailable loadout that is good at all ranges, and every single one of its weapons, of which it can keep most of them firing on a turn by turn basis, are a threat of instant death for any mech. It's basically the problem of assault battlemech design solved, and as such it is inherently degenerate in TT play. It's basically the equivalent of a card that needs to be banned in something like Magic.

The real problem post-3040 is DHS. They completely throw balance out the window. With only SHS available every mech either naturally runs hot or is way under-gunned for its tonnage. Deciding when to fire and when to cool off is a huge part of the game. Once DHS arrive heat neutral builds that still pack a whollop are common as gently caress and heat management really goes out the window. On the mechs that still manage to run hot they're either insanely over-gunned, allowing you to quickly eliminate enemies and then cool off later, or involve multiple sets of weapons for different ideal ranges which gives you mechs that are dangerous at any range (and most of those builds can still alpha at point blank with devastating effect).

One thing I will say is that the clan invasion is a fun scenario to run as the cap to a long campaign. Figuring out how the gently caress to deal with clan tech with your lovely basic rules set IS stuff is a lot of fun and managing to capture some of it is a great final incentive for the players. THen you go out with one crazy battle royale involving all the crazy toys that unbalance the game, write up a nice little bit about how your dudes retire to a moon with a private lance of Mad Cats, and roll up characters for that deep periphery Explorer Corps game you've always pondered but never got around to.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

gently caress anything post-3030. The tech change up made TT a lot worse in a lot of ways.

I've got a personal soft spot for the Marauder, even though I recognize some of the problems it has. The Awesome was arguably the best stock design with Third SW tech.

This just screams to me that people never touched jihad era TT play because holy poo poo is 3025 table top the slowest and most uninteresting poo poo imaginable. Nothing hits, everything takes like a million turns because you have no firepower and it hinges even harder on lucky hits just decimating everything. Jihad era turns the game into a maneuver fest which I guess can be a bit of a turnoff but because everything has a much higher baseline of firepower its way less of a game changer to get a lucky hit taking someone out because its the difference between 6 turns of firing or 2-3 to kill the same target. On top of that due to the really fancy set up and stock mechs the IS has gotten by that point they actually outperform Clan mechs if you're using BV (and assuming your not playing on some super huge map). The game turns into a really interesting jockeying back and forth for those range brackets but for the most part every mech has a gun that can at least fire across the map even if its just for symbolic damage.

Melee is loving terrifying thanks to TSM (and mounting melee weapons on far more mechs) and because of the overloading of firepower the Jihad era mechs fall back into 3025 issues of heat management. I think someone brought up the Stalker earlier as a classic example as it mounts 1 Heavy Gauss Rifle, 2 ER PPCs and 4 medium pulse lasers with the heat to fire the ppcs or the pulse lasers. Its a very clear cut bracket build where you still want to be firing everything if you get the chance. The only real frustrating mechanic is WOB C3 targetting but with the abundance of LBX and pulse weapons it just makes the light fights become so much more important.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in living legends i think best was novacat and worst was osiris but they both show up way later in the timeline

i'm a personal big fan of the hollander and the fafnir because nothing hits the military industrial complex note just like "let's take the biggest possible gun we can manufacture or find, put legs on it, and nothing else" and "hey you know that even bigger gun we developed, well lets take two of them, and then lets put legs on it"

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 6, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skoll posted:

I'm all for just reformatting what happens after 3040. No Clan invasion, no Jihad, no FedCom Civil War, no Dark Ages.

Keep new poo poo gradually coming online but take it verrrrrrrrrry slow on tech changes. Make the IS fragment more all around so the eternal galactic war we all know and love keeps churning without bullshit trash born humanity with dumb rules and super mechs, and a faction of nutso religious fanatics dropping nukes on everything in an effort to kill off every lore thing long time players loved.

Word. The Jihad was the point where I finally put it down for good and just played the odd computer game. It was just such an obvious attempt to do a reset on the universe and get back to the "dark ages perpetual feudal warfare" vibe which made it cool to begin with, but they did it in the worst possible way that just invalidated so much of what had been going on before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

kingcom posted:

This just screams to me that people never touched jihad era TT play because holy poo poo is 3025 table top the slowest and most uninteresting poo poo imaginable.

*shrug* I liked the slow, methodical nature of the 3025 stuff. Jihad era just turned me off in a whole bunch of ways.