Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Forever Knight.

Depending on your tolerance for 90s cheese. And terrible. Terrible special effects.

I love that show, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

What am I getting myself into if I finally watch Lost for the first time now, after loving every single bit of all 3 Leftovers seasons and wanting some more Lindelof goodness?

It's one of those shows I never caught on to at the time and only vaguely absorbed random snippets through pop culture. So basically, I know nothing about it and don't expect concrete answers and everything to wrap I perfectly.

It seems like the kind of show where not having to watch it over 6 years helps, it's just a pretty huge commitment compared to the more compact 8-10 episode seasons of shows now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the argument you'll get from a lot of people is that if you can focus on the great character work and acting and not get invested in the mystery and story then you can love it the way half of Lost fans love it. As a member of the other half I think its kind of impossible to get through the middle part of the show without the bad story negatively affecting the character stuff. But there's a lot of people who disagree and if you go in steeled against being sucked in to the mystery it could all work out well.

And yeah, the binge vs 6 years thing should help a lot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toast King posted:

What am I getting myself into if I finally watch Lost for the first time now, after loving every single bit of all 3 Leftovers seasons and wanting some more Lindelof goodness?

It's one of those shows I never caught on to at the time and only vaguely absorbed random snippets through pop culture. So basically, I know nothing about it and don't expect concrete answers and everything to wrap I perfectly.

It seems like the kind of show where not having to watch it over 6 years helps, it's just a pretty huge commitment compared to the more compact 8-10 episode seasons of shows now.

Having gotten way too invested in Lost, don't do it. The ending isn't very satisfying at all. But season 1 has some great heart touching moments that hit me super hard when I first watched them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The blogosphere seems crazy about Twin Peaks but I don't think I know anyone IRL who's watching it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I never watched the original Twin Peaks and I can't bring myself to watch the revival without doing that. And even though I kind of want to I've long got the impression that Twin Peaks doesn't really hold up the way it did since it was groundbreaking at the time but has been surpassed many times since then. So I figure it can't live up to a lifetime of expectations and avoid it.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I loved the first 3-4 seasons of Castle, loved Forever and currently love Lucifer. What else (good) can I find along those lines?

New Amsterdam if you liked Forever. Brimstone is also good if you like Lucifer.

I personally can't stand those tepidly episodic new-style buddy cop shows, where the cop partners up with a quirky scientist/genius/magician/criminal/crazy person/robot/psychic/undead/demon/republican. But if they're your thing there's a metric ton of them. USA puts out alot, I think. I included a few that are a little outside the genre since you seem to like supernatural stuff too. With the exception of Chuck which I liked, I haven't actually watched any of these for more than a few episodes myself, so you'll have to ask other goons about which ones are actually good. But this list should cover most of the type of shows that you're looking for.

Limitless
Bones
Chuck
The Mentalist
White Collar
Psych
Perception
The Blacklist
Monk
Numbers
Elementary
Eleventh Hour
Almost Human
iZombie
Supernatural
Sleepy Hollow
Grimm

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 6, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Supernatural, Chuck, Psych, iZombie, and White Collar would all be ones I'd second. And probably toss in Burn Notice and Leverage. Like, if Castle is the thing you're looking for there's no shortage of options (as long as like Castle you accept that you might just burn out on the formula after awhile).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

STAC Goat posted:

I never watched the original Twin Peaks and I can't bring myself to watch the revival without doing that. And even though I kind of want to I've long got the impression that Twin Peaks doesn't really hold up the way it did since it was groundbreaking at the time but has been surpassed many times since then. So I figure it can't live up to a lifetime of expectations and avoid it.

I'm going through the original and yeah it really doesn't hold up. I am enjoying it though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I think it holds up. You just need to skip about 6 episodes in the middle of season 2 when it went from being a sometime satire of soap operas to an actual soap opera.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first 3 seasons of LOST are the 3 that most benefit from binge watching, because they are long and often nothing interesting happens for 20-30 minutes at a time (especially in seasons 2/3)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

Having gotten way too invested in Lost, don't do it. The ending isn't very satisfying at all. But season 1 has some great heart touching moments that hit me super hard when I first watched them.

As unbelievably awful as the ending is, second only to BSG in loving awfulness, LOST has some amazing episodes and I can't say I regret my time watching it. Things like The Constant really stick with you.

e: It'll also be nice to watch it without a goddamn commercial break every FIVE MINUTES.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I now unironically want to see a buddy cop show where he teams up with a snooty Republican. Thanks for putting that in my head. I see Kevin Hart as Officer James Sivil in Sivil War, Fridays on USA.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

STAC Goat posted:

The thing you have to understand is that the show in the first season and the better part of the second season is like a perfect 50/50 mix of David Lynch just Lynching out to his highest degree and also him being deadly serious about making a day time soap show. Like some parts are intentionally sort of bad and hokey to better encapsulate that genre of storytelling. If you can dig it, the highs are really high. Conversely the lows are really low. It has in some ways been surpassed [Nobody has ever out Lynched Lynch though, as the revival shows. loving Wally Brando man, what the hell goes on in David Lynch's brain] by a lot of the prestige dramas that have come out in the nearly 3 decades since, but it's still fairly unique.

As for Lost and BSG or whatever show some basic bitches had a problem with because of the ending, a few years of really great storytelling doesn't magically disappear because they don't stick the landing. It still happened, and it was still awesome to watch. And also they had fine endings.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like USA has abandoned the "quirky buddy teamup" philosophy and adopted a kind of "prestige lite" philosophy. And it kind of makes me sad.

But I also just found out Spike is making original programming now so I don't know what the gently caress to think.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
BSG's ending did nothing wrong.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have strong opinions otherwise but I respect the abandoned rules that have been forgotten but brought us so many years of peace.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Not trying to pick a fight. We've all of us been around here long enough to know better.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, thankfully we've all learned how bad it gets when we do the same thing over and over again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IRQ posted:

As unbelievably awful as the ending is, second only to BSG in loving awfulness, LOST has some amazing episodes and I can't say I regret my time watching it. Things like The Constant really stick with you.

e: It'll also be nice to watch it without a goddamn commercial break every FIVE MINUTES.

Jack and Sawyer's conversation about fathers in season one made me sob for hours. And Jack begging the desk attendant at the airport aired the night before we buried my grandfather and just wrecked everyone in the room.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't need to argue about it either. I just like to remind people that my faith still exists, even if its followers are few.

I don't think there's anything wrong with checking out Lost starting now. I wouldn't really call myself a fan, but I've seen the whole thing, some of it more than once, it definitely has its strengths. And, while we are used to it with "peak TV" the way it is now, Lost had very good production values for the time. I bet it still looks great.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't think anyone disputes the fact that there's some really amazing character stuff done that still theoretically holds up. Like I said, I think its just a matter of if you can separate that from the damage done to those characters down the line or the greater story. If you can, there's some really great stuff in the first 2-3 seasons of Lost.

edit: In contrast I tried to rewatch BSG recently and bailed fairly early in. Its weird because I think I was hurt by knowing everything that was coming but there were definitely things I was looking forward to. But for some reason it just didn't click for me.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 6, 2017

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I think the backlash from Lost and BSG's endings came from the fact that the show's were just so drat good early on, and that set a really high bar that the writers just couldn't come close to consistently meeting in later seasons. The same thing seems to be happening with Game of Thrones. Anyway, I think they're still both worth a watch.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 6, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, thankfully we've all learned how bad it gets when we do the same thing over and over again.

Would you say that all this has happened before and all this will happen again?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

-Blackadder- posted:

I think the backlash from Lost and BSG's endings came from the fact that the show's were just so drat good early on, and that set a really high bar that the writers just couldn't come close to consistently meeting in later seasons. The same thing seems to be happening with Game of Thrones. Anyway, I think they're still both worth a watch.

I think you're dead on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having watched Twin Peaks for the first time last year I absolutely think it holds up enough in just the right places to merit watching now in 2017. The heads up on season 2's bizarre circumstances/format is helpful to know but it's otherwise a very compelling work.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't find I have the same problem with Game of Thrones because like, there's no real clear meta plot or anything. Like, I get frustrated when they go down roads I don't like or take characters or stories in directions I don't like. But in general Game of Thrones is basically a free flowing world that just keeps moving along so I don't get too wound up about individual story arcs the way I would with an overriding one like Lost and BSG had.

I think that's what ultimately causes the backlash with BSG and Lost. They swung really hard for the fences with their big plot and story. They ended up putting a lot on them, so if they didn't come through for some viewers who have been waiting years for it that's going to cause some collateral damage.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 6, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I just think it's strange there's so much backlash, since the majority of shows get much worse as they go on. Very few shows maintain quality throughout.

It's what makes shows like Breaking Bad and Justified stand out so much among the dozens of shows I've watched.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It just amazed me how Riverdale copied from Twin Peaks, with (Riverdale spoiler) who the murderer was and what happened to him.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

David Bowie played an FBI agent with a southern accent in the Twin Peaks movie. It's really dark with rape and demons and all that stuff and I wish the whole show was more like the movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I rewatched the entirety of Lost just last year and it does indeed still look amazing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

STAC Goat posted:

I don't find I have the same problem with Game of Thrones because like, there's no real clear meta plot or anything. Like, I get frustrated when they go down roads I don't like or take characters or stories in directions I don't like. But in general Game of Thrones is basically a free flowing world that just keeps moving along so I don't get too wound up about individual story arcs the way I would with an overriding one like Lost and BSG had.

I think that's what ultimately causes the backlash with BSG and Lost. They swung really hard for the fences with their big plot and story. They ended up putting a lot on them, so if they didn't come through for some viewers who have been waiting years for it that's going to cause some collateral damage.

I was pretty pumped for Game of Thrones final two seasons, to finally wrap up the story I've been following for eternity, but all the talk of multiple spinoffs has me worried. I was hoping they could just tell their self contained story.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

-Blackadder- posted:

The Cylons have a plan*

*citation needed

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't like shows that predicate themselves on getting you excited for future reveals. I've just never found the payoff to be worth it, and it feels like passing the buck to the future to be actually interesting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That is definitely the weakest part of both shows.

It's also a big thing that hbomberguy brings up when he's talking about Steven Moffat. Moffat wrote some really great stand-alone eps of Dr. Who, and then, as he got more and more creative control started leaning more and more on these mytharc clues over strong episode plots.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Lost's ending was fine, by the end of 6 seasons of...all the crazy poo poo that went down, I really didn't need any explanation for most of the mystical stuff beyond "The Island is Special."

The home stretch revelation of what really drew them to the Island, however...I was fully onboard for it, and that story developed organically enough for me as it aired, but I suspect that rewatching it knowing the endgame/seeing it in a binge for the first time highlights a myriad of flaws early on.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Cylons have a plan*

*citation needed

LISTEN: Their plan was so good, so intricate, even they couldn't understand it well enough to see it through successfully.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

It just amazed me how Riverdale copied from Twin Peaks, with (Riverdale spoiler) who the murderer was and what happened to him.

I was ready to be bummed by reading the spoiler as I'm once again attempting to get through all of Twin Peaks so I can watch the new one but I've already forgotten who the killer was in Riverdale. (good show though)

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I wonder has there ever been a "central mystery" show whose ending/reveal actually lived up to the hype? I feel like there must have been some, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Obviously a lot of shows had great endings such as the aforementioned Breaking Bad and Justified, but they weren't really "central mystery" shows.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
In the age of the Internet most certainly not and I doubt there ever will be. With fans picking apart every frame of an episode the end result is either going to be "That was super loving cheap and ret-conned. It makes no sense" or "Well that was a waste of time, we figured that out 20 episodes ago"

EDIT: Maybe it could still happen with shows that aren't super popular during the original run and you are lucky enough to get on board during it's original run. I'm not going to hold this up as a Good Show as I've completely forgotten everything about it, but I remember really enjoying Harpers Island on my original viewing.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought West World's season 1 arc was really solid.

Ultimately, a "big mystery" just isn't enough to make a story good. The journey has to be good and it has to work even if people figure it out.

edit: What I'm saying is that the whole idea that a mystery that's built up until a revealed in the finale is a bad concept of storytelling. People who want that don't understand good storytelling and won't ever be pleased with the execution, because what the actually want is for the show to make them feel smart and like they are part of a special insider's club that was the most loyal fans who both figured it out and got the payoff they deserved.

Which is a made-up thing. Fan pay-off.

• Locked thread