Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

in living legends i think best was novacat and worst was osiris but they both show up way later in the timeline

i'm a personal big fan of the hollander and the fafnir because nothing hits the military industrial complex note just like "let's take the biggest possible gun we can manufacture or find, put legs on it, and nothing else" and "hey you know that even bigger gun we developed, well lets take two of them, and then lets put legs on it"

The Fafnir is the peak steiner battlemech and I hope the battletech game gets enough expansions to push the timeline to the point this kind of gear is showing up.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Word. The Jihad was the point where I finally put it down for good and just played the odd computer game. It was just such an obvious attempt to do a reset on the universe and get back to the "dark ages perpetual feudal warfare" vibe which made it cool to begin with, but they did it in the worst possible way that just invalidated so much of what had been going on before.

It was mostly a clusterfuck (same with the FedCom Civil war) because they had planned their religious terrorist plotline to kick off December 2001 so everything fell apart as they had to abruptly hold off on it and keep the FedCom civil war stuff plowing ahead. So its one of those thing where yeah its all a loving mess but I can't really be upset at anyone or blame anyone for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Sadly the clans are waaaaay to popular for anyone who wants to make money to ever even remotely consider wiping them from the timeline.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how many years after the original battletech boardgame had been published were the clans introduced?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

Sadly the clans are waaaaay to popular for anyone who wants to make money to ever even remotely consider wiping them from the timeline.

Plus they are absolutely the epitome of 'RPG/Videogame enemy' so they are super handy to have show up and outclass you in every way as you slowly catch up to them. Kinda like....XCOM

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

kingcom posted:

Well after the 4SW the cappies couldnt make anything heavier than a Vindicator so I'm not sure how much that means. Also Gray's Death Legion had a Highlander in it aswell. The accurate description is always 'there are only a handful of these floating around at the moment not a specific number' when it comes to the out of production mechs. Plus there is literally an unlimited number of undiscovered star league weapon caches and potentially family heirloom mechs of star league origin if the game is set in a Periphery state. You know the region that had the most star league mechs lost in combat as they all made the periphery join the star league by force.

Davis McCall or whatever his name was literally manufactured his Highlander himself after getting the info from the memory core according to fluff.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

In terms of how the it performs in the Beta?

The Kintaro is probably the best mech, as for worst? The Awesome probably doesn't bring enough to the table for it's cost with the way PPC's are setup at the moment.

I just ran two test matches so I could write down the results in the end of game survey. The Awesome is trash right now, and it shouldn't be.

Big Lock

Enemy:
Atlas - Evasive Move Pilot
Awesome - Gun/Tactics Pilot (water everywhere, don't need guts)
Jenner - Tactics Pilot
Locust - Master Tac. Pilot

My Teams:
2x Awesomes - Gun/Tactics Pilots
Catapult - Master Tac. Pilot
Commando - Sensor Lock Pilot

2x Victor 9B - Precise Shot Pilots
Trebuchet - Master Tac. Pilot

Tactics was the same for both matches so it would favor the PPCs range advantage. Run to the left, lights forward, but behind rocks and put the AWS/VTR in open water but at far range. Get sensor contacts, lock and fire from beyond enemy visual range, fall back and repeat.

Results:

Awesome Lance:
Loss - Commando
Damages: Both Awesomes exposed fronts and one missing a torso

The base plan was solid and worked as planned, but the Awesomes couldn't kill the lights before they got close enough to provide indirect fire against my Commando. This also forced my Awesomes to move back to stay out of minimum range. The extra rounds spent cleaning up the lights and re-positioning my Sensor Lock and LRM support let the Atlas and Awesome move forward. The Atlas used LRM20s on whoever the lights could spot. I couldn't open up the Awesome quickly either and had to flank it. The Atlas was the same problem, it just took a lot of time to kill.

Victor Lance:
Loss - NONE
Damages - Commando and one Victor both took light internal damage, no loss of limbs

The base plan worked flawlessly. The sensor lock provided easy AC/20 shots that wrecked each of the lights in a turn. Then came the Awesome who took some rounds to kill, but its PPCs did little damage. The Atlas didn't even need to be flanked, I just rushed it with the Victors, DFA'd it once and hammered away with the AC/20s. Trebuchet and Commando provided supporting fire until it lost its right torso and eventually died after being declawed. I kept slightly backing up/jumping so it couldn't reach melee once the AC/20 was gone. The Commando took one good LRM20 to the front at the end, got a little over zealous trying for a killing blow while it was knocked down.

Even with a map and plan that favored long range PPCs, the Victor team using a lighter fire support mech and the Victors lower armor, the decreased lethality of the PPC led to the loss of the Commando and a much higher repair bill for the Awesome Lance. I did this as I wanted to compare the "worst" assault to compare PPCs to. If I had taken the LRM Awesomes (done swap tests like this with them already, LRM AWS is better) I would have been knocking over and killing pilots left and right.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Davis McCall or whatever his name was literally manufactured his Highlander himself after getting the info from the memory core according to fluff.

His entire character was to show up and have his mech blow up before the story ends. He started out in a Rifleman or something I can't even remember.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cowcaster posted:

how many years after the original battletech boardgame had been published were the clans introduced?

Less than five. Lethal Heritage (edit: the novel that introduced the Clans) was published in September 1989. They were teased as early as March 1989 with Wolves on the Border.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Amechwarrior posted:

I just ran two test matches so I could write down the results in the end of game survey. The Awesome is trash right now, and it shouldn't be.

Big Lock

Enemy:
Atlas - Evasive Move Pilot
Awesome - Gun/Tactics Pilot (water everywhere, don't need guts)
Jenner - Tactics Pilot
Locust - Master Tac. Pilot

My Teams:
2x Awesomes - Gun/Tactics Pilots
Catapult - Master Tac. Pilot

2x Victor 9B - Precise Shot Pilots
Trebuchet - Master Tac. Pilot

Tactics was the same for both matches so it would favor the PPCs range advantage. Run to the left, lights forward, but behind rocks and put the AWS/VTR in open water but at far range. Get sensor contacts, lock and fire from beyond enemy visual range, fall back and repeat.

Results:

Awesome Lance:
Loss - Commando
Damages: Both Awesomes exposed fronts and one missing a torso

The base plan was solid and worked as planned, but the Awesomes couldn't kill the lights before they got close enough to provide indirect fire against my Commando. This also forced my Awesomes to move back to stay out of minimum range. The extra rounds spent cleaning up the lights and re-positioning my Sensor Lock and LRM support let the Atlas and Awesome move forward. The Atlas used LRM20s on whoever the lights could spot. I couldn't open up the Awesome quickly either and had to flank it. The Atlas was the same problem, it just took a lot of time to kill.

Victor Lance:
Loss - NONE
Damages - Commando and one Victor both took light internal damage, no loss of limbs

The base plan worked flawlessly. The sensor lock provided easy AC/20 shots that wrecked each of the lights in a turn. Then came the Awesome who took some rounds to kill, but its PPCs did little damage. The Atlas didn't even need to be flanked, I just rushed it with the Victors, DFA'd it once and hammered away with the AC/20s. Trebuchet and Commando provided supporting fire until it lost its right torso and eventually died after being declawed. I kept slightly backing up/jumping so it couldn't reach melee once the AC/20 was gone. The Commando took one good LRM20 to the front at the end, got a little over zealous trying for a killing blow while it was knocked down.

Even with a map and plan that favored long range PPCs, the Victor team using a lighter fire support mech and the Victors lower armor, the decreased lethality of the PPC led to the loss of the Commando and a much higher repair bill for the Awesome Lance. I did this as I wanted to compare the "worst" assault to compare PPCs to. If I had taken the LRM Awesomes (done swap tests like this with them already, LRM AWS is better) I would have been knocking over and killing pilots left and right.

Victor is growing on me as a Great Robot, though I am still favoring the Orion over an assault so I can take more awesome Mediums. Mediums are amazing in this game.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Phrosphor posted:

I really like the look of the Enforcer, it can fire it's LL and AC10 every turn pretty reliably as well.

I forgot that that Blackjack works as well, so you beat me there!

I wasn't very happy with the Enforcer, the decision to reduce shots/ton for ammo kind of hit it hard. I ran out of ammo pretty quickly even taking only good % shots, a good couple turns before I ran out in the Cataphract. The Small Laser does help it be just a little bit more effective in Melee though.

Apparently the Wolverine 6R model is present as well, but it's even more unfinished than the Cataphract and Firestarter.

As for Best and Worst, looking at it from the perspective of this game only...

The Enforcer actually seems kind of bad, as does the Vindicator. Worst Mech, for me, is probably the Panther though. Best Mech, have to say the Griffin 1S is a beast but heat is a bitch in it. So I'm inclined to say the Catapult. LRM 15s are, along with the AC/10, the best weapons in this game right now. Then it has 4 Medium Lasers, good armor, and the jumpjets for DFA. There's just not an engagement envelope where this thing is bad.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

Less than five. Lethal Heritage (edit: the novel that introduced the Clans) was published in September 1989. They were teased as early as March 1989 with Wolves on the Border.

Right yeah and the Wolfs Dragoons were tied super deep into the start of the whole thing too. Man that makes it even more hilarious when people get upset at the clans. The second major plot arc the game even had was the clans and then setting was flooded with ground work for it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

kingcom posted:

Right yeah and the Wolfs Dragoons were tied super deep into the start of the whole thing too. Man that makes it even more hilarious when people get upset at the clans. The second major plot arc the game even had was the clans and then setting was flooded with ground work for it.

Yeah, it's almost as if the second major plot arc upset the gameplay in a massive way and actively made it worse. I'd rather play Star League TRO stuff with the Reunification Wars, etc than any of the Clan Invasion garbage.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Skoll posted:

Yeah, it's almost as if the second major plot arc upset the gameplay in a massive way and actively made it worse. I'd rather play Star League TRO stuff with the Reunification Wars, etc than any of the Clan Invasion garbage.

I mean the gameplay was always a mess until they set up BV, going tonnage as your balancing factor basically never worked.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

kingcom posted:

The Fafnir is the peak steiner battlemech and I hope the battletech game gets enough expansions to push the timeline to the point this kind of gear is showing up.

The Hauptmann has a laser cigar. How is that not peak Steiner?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

kingcom posted:

I mean the gameplay was always a mess until they set up BV, going tonnage as your balancing factor basically never worked.

Look man, I have a pathological hatred of all things Clan and beyond. Don't ask me to rationalize it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Psion posted:

The Hollander II is peak Steiner, because it has exactly one big gently caress-off gun, that it can also fire while trying to move, knock itself over, deal enough damage to itself to breach its rear torso, and detonate the gun (and itself) in a massive explosion). Kind of like whenever Steiner tries to do something important.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Skoll posted:

Look man, I have a pathological hatred of all things Clan and beyond. Don't ask me to rationalize it.

Show us on this Centurion where the Clan player touched you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Skoll posted:

Focus and you'll realize it's XL engines and DHS that you truly hate.

loving DHS.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Show us on this Centurion where the Clan player touched you.

*points to the mech butt*

They touched me right there, from the edge of the map with an ER Large Laser.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Psion posted:

This just reinforces why steiner is the best but its not peak steiner.

Strobe posted:

The Hollander II is peak Steiner, because it has exactly one big gently caress-off gun, that it can also fire while trying to move, knock itself over, deal enough damage to itself to breach its rear torso, and detonate the gun (and itself) in a massive explosion). Kind of like whenever Steiner tries to do something important.

I poo poo yeah I forgot about the HGR Hollander 2. Yeah you're right I concede.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 6, 2017

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Focus and you'll realize it's XL engines and DHS that you truly hate.

loving DHS.
IS XLs are fine. DHS is the #1 offender though, yes. The clan gimmick of 'more damage/range for more heat' might not be as broken then.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

see i called it the hollander ii at first but edited my post because there was nothing on sarna.net so i thought i was making it up

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Ein Sexmonster posted:

IS XLs are fine. DHS is the #1 offender though, yes. The clan gimmick of 'more damage/range for more heat' might not be as broken then.

The problem with Clan guns is that it's typically "more damage/range for the same heat" on any comparable platform. ER PPCs, ER Large Lasers, ER Medium Lasers, Large Pulse Lasers, all the major offenders are on that list.

And then you get to Heavy Lasers, which is where some Warrior got tired of being able to out-range his target, and decided that it was poor sportsmanship to reduce the heat to compensate, so the only honorable thing to do was crank the damage/heat knob up to 12. Heavy Lasers would probably be okay and fun and good if they didn't have that bullshit +1 to hit penalty, and the Improved ones that didn't have that penalty didn't also explode for no reason.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cowcaster posted:

see i called it the hollander ii at first but edited my post because there was nothing on sarna.net so i thought i was making it up

Hollander: a single Gauss Rifle. Not great, but not literally suicidal either.
Hollander II: a single Heavy Gauss Rifle. Literally suicidal in the most hilarious way possible.
Hollander III: actually good (and one of my favorite 'Mechs) and therefore kind of boring.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Strobe posted:

Yeah, okay, I concede that.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

Victor is growing on me as a Great Robot, though I am still favoring the Orion over an assault so I can take more awesome Mediums. Mediums are amazing in this game.

The Victor definitely has its place in BT, its place isn't "everywhere" like the Orion or Atlas but it makes a great "Stomper" to throw in against 15mil light games. Shows up, knocks you down and jumps away. The Awesome has a place for sure, but long range direct fire in general is weakened in BT vs TT due to the fog of war restrictions and the very hilly/mesa-ish maps we have make the lackluster damage of the PPC not a smart choice.

Maybe we will see things change once we can fight each other, as both teams will be more cautious and hang back before the brawl starts. However, I see LRMs beating just about everything else in that situation.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Hollander: a single Gauss Rifle. Not great, but not literally suicidal either.
Hollander II: a single Heavy Gauss Rifle. Literally suicidal in the most hilarious way possible.
Hollander III: actually good (and one of my favorite 'Mechs) and therefore kind of boring.

I liked the Pack Hunter.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Bubbacub posted:

Oh hey, 150 new posts in the Battletech thread - I wonder if HBS released an update on the multi-

:trumppop:

Nope just another Ham derail/troll like the last thread.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psion posted:

The idea of "you lost your Atlas on turn 2 of this mission, RIP this entire campaign" is something they actively said they didn't want, so if that's roughly like losing half your company in Battle Brothers, there you go?

While I’m optimistic enough for them to want to hold true to this claim, it’s also the kind of thing that flies in the face of keeping in :rolldice: headcaps where the AI urbanmech trashes your dome from across the map.

You can’t have your cake and eat it to, for “We’re avoiding random chance hard losses!” and “Headcaps are what battletech is about :rolleyes:

So hopefully there is enough beta feedback to properly deal with that, rather than a lot of nodding about how Btech it to worry about your face randomly getting blown off. Because claiming stuff like that is good suddenly sounds reasonable, by comparison to people bringing up X-com over 120% of the game mechanics, rather than the 50%+ it’s closer to :v:

Zaodai posted:

And maybe you put your more expendable guys in the roles more likely to die. If you don't want to have to replace your god tier pilot, put him in the assault, not the metal babby. You can always hose out the cockpit and hire a new pilot from out in front of Space Home Depot if you need to.
But even the Assault isn’t safe, so yeaaaaaah. Just going “Well use tactics and expendable pilots then” can’t work around something no amount of tactics can prevent.

“Whoops, my assault pilot just got headshot injuries from across the map twice already in all two turns of combat so far. Guess I should have put my expendable rookie in my most expensive mech.”

I mean, outside of saying never getting shot at in the first place by so much as indirect fire LRMs, is the appropriate response for your Medium-Assault mechs that want to shoot things with direct fire weaponry.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Amechwarrior posted:

The Victor definitely has its place in BT, its place isn't "everywhere" like the Orion or Atlas but it makes a great "Stomper" to throw in against 15mil light games. Shows up, knocks you down and jumps away. The Awesome has a place for sure, but long range direct fire in general is weakened in BT vs TT due to the fog of war restrictions and the very hilly/mesa-ish maps we have make the lackluster damage of the PPC not a smart choice.

Maybe we will see things change once we can fight each other, as both teams will be more cautious and hang back before the brawl starts. However, I see LRMs beating just about everything else in that situation.

It doesn't help the PPC that they've essentially turned the AC/10 into a no-minimum-range Gauss Rifle.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Q_res posted:

It doesn't help the PPC that they've essentially turned the AC/10 into a no-minimum-range Gauss Rifle.

Reading that made me realize that the AC/10 is exactly what the Gauss Rifles BT damage value would be. That's why it's so drat good.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Amechwarrior posted:

Yeah LRM's are nuts right now - not for damage but for that crazy stability damage.

I think most of my assault kills are still from pilot deaths due to missile cockpit hits and multiple knockdowns.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Strobe posted:

The problem with Clan guns is that it's typically "more damage/range for the same heat" on any comparable platform. ER PPCs, ER Large Lasers, ER Medium Lasers, Large Pulse Lasers, all the major offenders are on that list.

And then you get to Heavy Lasers, which is where some Warrior got tired of being able to out-range his target, and decided that it was poor sportsmanship to reduce the heat to compensate, so the only honorable thing to do was crank the damage/heat knob up to 12. Heavy Lasers would probably be okay and fun and good if they didn't have that bullshit +1 to hit penalty, and the Improved ones that didn't have that penalty didn't also explode for no reason.

The Clans are fine as they stand in 3050: as a big bad for your PCs to have to deal with. I find the whole invasion thing inherently less compelling story wise than the 3rd SW era stuff, but even so if you're running a campaign it really dials up the challenge in a good way. As a GM you are also in a position to dole out salvage just enough to keep your players happy and viable but just slow enough that they're always just behind on the power curve and need to be creative to compensate. I mean, a good 3025 campaign also does the same thing, but you usually have to be a bit more crafty with things like your guys being a merc unit way behind enemy lines dependent on scrounging and hit or run or whatever.

The problems come in when all that poo poo naturally power creeps the gently caress out of everything and advanced IS equipment becomes common enough that it's less "holy poo poo how are we going to deal with this" and more "eh, our crap is slightly worse but not enough to really hurt and oh hey we've got a salvaged Mad Cat anyway."

Section Z posted:

So hopefully there is enough beta feedback to properly deal with that, rather than a lot of nodding about how Btech it to worry about your face randomly getting blown off. Because claiming stuff like that is good suddenly sounds reasonable, by comparison to people bringing up X-com over 120% of the game mechanics, rather than the 50%+ it’s closer to :v:

But even the Assault isn’t safe, so yeaaaaaah. Just going “Well use tactics and expendable pilots then” can’t work around something no amount of tactics can prevent.

Man, you must be having some HORRIBLE (or good depending on how you look at it) luck compared to me. Out of 7 hours of game play I can think of maybe two times that I had pilots killed and maybe ten where I've killed the enemy pilot, and a lot of the latter was when I was experimenting with LRM lock downs to shaken-baby-syndrome Atlas pilots to death. Don't get me wrong, I get WOUNDED pilots all the loving time, but if the pilot maintenance aspect of the campaign is anything like Mech Commander that isn't a show stopper. Pilots got wounded all the loving time in MC but they also slowly healed between missions. The long and the short of it was that maybe you put your wounded ace pilot in if you really needed him, otherwise you benched him for a mission and used someone less capable in his place and dealt with the inefficiencies.

The way pilots, injury, and death are handled in MC and MC2 works really, really well and somehow I suspect these guys are familiar with what worked and what didn't in those games.

edit:

Phrosphor posted:

Yeah LRM's are nuts right now - not for damage but for that crazy stability damage.

I think most of my assault kills are still from pilot deaths due to missile cockpit hits and multiple knockdowns.

The AI is really, REALLY bad at protecting its back armor right now. The SRM heavy Kintaro is basically an Atlas head hunter if you put the + initiative pilot in it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

kingcom posted:

This just screams to me that people never touched jihad era TT play because holy poo poo is 3025 table top the slowest and most uninteresting poo poo imaginable. Nothing hits, everything takes like a million turns because you have no firepower and it hinges even harder on lucky hits just decimating everything. Jihad era turns the game into a maneuver fest which I guess can be a bit of a turnoff but because everything has a much higher baseline of firepower its way less of a game changer to get a lucky hit taking someone out because its the difference between 6 turns of firing or 2-3 to kill the same target. On top of that due to the really fancy set up and stock mechs the IS has gotten by that point they actually outperform Clan mechs if you're using BV (and assuming your not playing on some super huge map). The game turns into a really interesting jockeying back and forth for those range brackets but for the most part every mech has a gun that can at least fire across the map even if its just for symbolic damage.

Melee is loving terrifying thanks to TSM (and mounting melee weapons on far more mechs) and because of the overloading of firepower the Jihad era mechs fall back into 3025 issues of heat management. I think someone brought up the Stalker earlier as a classic example as it mounts 1 Heavy Gauss Rifle, 2 ER PPCs and 4 medium pulse lasers with the heat to fire the ppcs or the pulse lasers. Its a very clear cut bracket build where you still want to be firing everything if you get the chance. The only real frustrating mechanic is WOB C3 targetting but with the abundance of LBX and pulse weapons it just makes the light fights become so much more important.

Yeaaaaa my man right here.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Clans are fine as they stand in 3050: as a big bad for your PCs to have to deal with. I find the whole invasion thing inherently less compelling story wise than the 3rd SW era stuff, but even so if you're running a campaign it really dials up the challenge in a good way. As a GM you are also in a position to dole out salvage just enough to keep your players happy and viable but just slow enough that they're always just behind on the power curve and need to be creative to compensate. I mean, a good 3025 campaign also does the same thing, but you usually have to be a bit more crafty with things like your guys being a merc unit way behind enemy lines dependent on scrounging and hit or run or whatever.

The problems come in when all that poo poo naturally power creeps the gently caress out of everything and advanced IS equipment becomes common enough that it's less "holy poo poo how are we going to deal with this" and more "eh, our crap is slightly worse but not enough to really hurt and oh hey we've got a salvaged Mad Cat anyway."

I would agree with this is BattleTech as a setting hadn't bothered advancing past 3052 or so. But it did, and the Clans couldn't be the deliberately Super-OP bad guys forever, or the question of "why haven't they conquered everything yet?" becomes a lot harder to answer, and combined with the questions "if the Inner Sphere figured out how to build <LosTech> again why doesn't everything use them?" and "Why haven't they salvaged any of this awesome Clan stuff?" don't help.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, you must be having some HORRIBLE (or good depending on how you look at it) luck compared to me. Out of 7 hours of game play I can think of maybe two times that I had pilots killed and maybe ten where I've killed the enemy pilot, and a lot of the latter was when I was experimenting with LRM lock downs to shaken-baby-syndrome Atlas pilots to death. Don't get me wrong, I get WOUNDED pilots all the loving time, but if the pilot maintenance aspect of the campaign is anything like Mech Commander that isn't a show stopper. Pilots got wounded all the loving time in MC but they also slowly healed between missions. The long and the short of it was that maybe you put your wounded ace pilot in if you really needed him, otherwise you benched him for a mission and used someone less capable in his place and dealt with the inefficiencies.

The way pilots, injury, and death are handled in MC and MC2 works really, really well and somehow I suspect these guys are familiar with what worked and what didn't in those games.
I generally have some spectacularly horrid luck whenever it comes to RNG based aspects in any game, yes.

While you’re being pleasantly reasonable about it, more often than not discussing such things is made all the more frustrating because a large majority of defenses for such mechanics boil down to “Well, things are going GREAT for me! So you must be personally doing something wrong to deserve it despite playing as well or better, or spending ten times as long grinding, etc :v:"

Often from the sort of person who will immediately switch gears to explaining why having a lovely time with missing on 95% odds is supposed to happen constantly because math. Basically tailoring their stance on RNG luck entirely around whatever post better fits a “I’m great! You’re just bad! That’s math :pseudo:” statement.

Your own experience sounds like the kind of thing I could get behind much more, but as it is an experience based on a dice roll as much or more than personal input, welp. And as others said above, when they are often more likely to kill an enemy assault by way of just slapping them around until the pilot dies in a mech that hasn't even been stripped of any frontal armor yet... yeah. Sounds about right when you don't have the luxury of safe flanks a gogo.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 6, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Strobe posted:

I would agree with this is BattleTech as a setting hadn't bothered advancing past 3052 or so. But it did, and the Clans couldn't be the deliberately Super-OP bad guys forever, or the question of "why haven't they conquered everything yet?" becomes a lot harder to answer, and combined with the questions "if the Inner Sphere figured out how to build <LosTech> again why doesn't everything use them?" and "Why haven't they salvaged any of this awesome Clan stuff?" don't help.

Oh yeah, I grant that they painted themselves into a corner. That's why I said I can kind of stomach the clans in that invasion period as the big baddies. After that everything bogs down in a ugly way and you can't ever get away from the clan tech.

gently caress, post-3052 IS advanced tech is good but for a player campaign it's going to be rapidly replaced by Clan, which is the de facto standard for an advanced unit. First battle out your guys are cutting arms off downed clan mechs to stick cERML on their rides when they get home. From there it's a matter of time before you start having them in no bullshit omnis.

3052 is a great place to end a campaign. Basically do like MW2: Mercs did. Have a ton of fun in the good 'ol 3rd SW era, dabble with the newish IS stuff as it's released and talk about how much those fancy UAC5s are the new hotness, then have a giant show down, salvage some fun super powered poo poo, and retire everyone to a farm on Outreach.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Section Z posted:

I generally have some spectacularly horrid luck whenever it comes to RNG based aspects in any game, yes.

While you’re being pleasantly reasonable about it, more often than not discussing such things is made all the more frustrating because a large majority of defenses for such mechanics boil down to “Well, things are going GREAT for me! So you must be personally doing something wrong to deserve it despite playing as well or better, or spending ten times as long grinding, etc :v:"

Often from the sort of person who will immediately switch gears to explaining why having a lovely time with missing on 95% odds is supposed to happen constantly because math. Basically tailoring their stance on RNG luck entirely around whatever post better fits a “I’m great! You’re just bad! That’s math :pseudo:” statement.

Your own experience sounds like the kind of thing I could get behind much more, but as it is an experience based on a dice roll as much or more than personal input, welp.

Sure, but A) I'm not saying any of that and I don't see that being a common theme in this thread and B) past MW games have dealt with pilot injury in a pretty elegant way that doesn't make you want to reload every time an SRM dings something's head, while still making pilot health a thing you have to track. Having your pilots beat up on missions isn't a bad thing in and of itself, it just means you have to keep a rotation.

Think of it less like hosing out the cockpit and grabbing a new rando off the street every mission, and more like having 5-7 active pilots you rotate through your 4 mech lance because people need time in the med tent once in a while.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, but A) I'm not saying any of that and I don't see that being a common theme in this thread and B) past MW games have dealt with pilot injury in a pretty elegant way that doesn't make you want to reload every time an SRM dings something's head, while still making pilot health a thing you have to track. Having your pilots beat up on missions isn't a bad thing in and of itself, it just means you have to keep a rotation.

Think of it less like hosing out the cockpit and grabbing a new rando off the street every mission, and more like having 5-7 active pilots you rotate through your 4 mech lance because people need time in the med tent once in a while.

Again, that's the kind of thing I can get behind. But when even my handfull of skirmish missions DOES require me to hose off my cockpit, the rotation of medbay pilots still is a luxury I'd wish for come campaign time.

Though to be fair, so far I've only had one case of "Literally first round of combat got me headshot killed". But round one-two headshot/headshots injuries are much more common.

Getting the side of my lights and mediums blown off early because I was an idiot and left them out of position is something I can understand. But part of the hard part of such talks is how often the defense of damage and risk immediatly rushes for "Some people just wants a power fantasy, loss is part of Btech!"

Nah man, I can handle loss and pain when it feels earned. But I feel more worry and concern from a limb loss even if I win in the end, than I do just writing off an immediate death because the dice swung that way either immediately, or one time too many just feeling too gamey for any investment or feeling of personal blame. My lights are fragile enough as it is without "Your tiny little head got blown off when you'd otherwise have come out relativly intact" on top. I can't treat assaults as having any form of real durability when I'm always more worried about RNG headshots.

So I end up playing slightly recklessly with my heavies and assaults, because a higher repair bill replacing an Orion's arm is preferable to giving the dice more chances to roll up headshot. "This mech has already got 3 injuries from being shot by indirect fire LRMs alone that I have zero way to prevent if I want to fire at the enemy Atlas, while never getting shot at single time by said Atlas. Welp, better just say gently caress it and rush em head on once the assault is down-Oh, another injury"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
A large part of it, I think, is that everybody's players want to be the kickass premier Merc units, where downing a single Clan 'Mech means 1) big money for days and 2) your probably-better-than-Clan pilot gets to turn the tables because winning is fun and losing repeatedly generally isn't.

I imagine the general response to it is "but scarcity is dumb!" (which isn't entirely wrong), but that kind of thing is almost wholly taken care of by either the employer demanding full salvage rights (but offering ~85%+ BLC [Battle-Loss Compensation, for the uninitiated]) so you don't get to keep that shiny new ER Medium Laser without getting a breach of contract, or by playing the beleaguered House unit that doesn't get to gently caress off back to Outreach or Galatea for three months after one battle to refit and repair. Even well into the Civil War or Jihad those are both reasonable things when fighting Clan units, and once into the Jihad finding a safe port in a storm becomes a mini-campaign in and of itself.