Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Go to Awful Jams DOT com to join in or get more gritty details.
Follow us on Twitter for updates: @AwfulJams
Chat with us on The Awful Jams Discord
Jam starts July 7th and ends August 1st

Your theme is BOOTLEGS

PLAY GOON GAMES NOW M'LORD http://www.awfuljams.com/awful-summer-jam-2017/games

It's time for the annual summer game jam.

Anyone can make a game in a month, especially you.

“But mister Awful Jams!” you might say “I’ve never made a video game before in my life! There’s no way I could make a game in a month!”

Wrong.

You can do a lot in a month more complex than learning to make a video game. Don’t believe me?

You could knit a sweater, build a shed, focus on your personal relationships, get a promotion, join a gym, quit a gym, make about $80 mowing lawns, order something from overseas with free shipping and maybe receive it, organize a game jam, get your pilot's license, learn to scuba dive, finish about 25% of a JRPG, construct a small troupe of puppets entirely out of hair, teach your cat to use a full human sized toilet, learn the basic grammar structure of Japanese, recover from an intense case of pneumonia, follow a flappy bird game making tutorial to a tee then submit it to a game jam and act surprised when you get disqualified, build a nice bird house, study the blade, master the blockchain, learn a programming language, do a crusade, sack rome, learn several ways to wear a tie, solve one of those giant novelty rubik's cubes, call your mother, learn a whole bunch of magic tricks, build a killer robot, start a podcast, walk 600 miles, start a coup, learn to cook...

Or you can just relax, hang out, and make a video game with some other cool people like yourself. Choice is yours, I’m not gonna twist your arm.

Rules:
* Don’t be a jerk.
* Only 3 people per team.
* People that only produce audio files for your game Do not count toward your team member limit (IE: Musicians, Voice Actors, Yodelers)
* 500mb game size limit.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
[Reserved for future garbage]

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Wooooooooo, it's nearly jam time!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Maybe I'll not wall of shame this year.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I'm going to try again this year to make a game and avoid the eternal hunger of the Wall of Shame. I would also like to encourage everyone to join in. If you have any interest in trying to make a game, this is a good opportunity! Lots of people like you will be making games; they will ask questions and learn things and laugh at each others terrible bugs.

Horrible, awful bugs. Plus there may also be people who know how to make decent or good games participating, so you can ask them questions like "how the gently caress does this even happen?" or "why do all my game objects fall through the world".

Similarly if you like playing bad games or watching other people play bad games, this thread and the Gong Show that follows will be your ticket to much amusement. There are often at least a few actually cool good games that show up too, like Let's Up or that one game with Llamas on the moon or that other game where you fly with a jet pack to rescue cats I think?

Lastly, I will offer a Bounty: if you make the game I like the most I'll send you a key for a copy of a Humble Freedom Bundle (if you have a multi-person team, you all figure out how to split it I'm not your dad or anything):

code:
The Witness
Stardew Valley
Subnautica (Early Access)
Day of the Tentacle Remastered  
Overgrowth (Early Access)
Nuclear Throne
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Invisible, Inc.
Super Meat Boy
World of Goo
Mushroom 11
No Time to Explain Remastered
The Stanley Parable
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Super Hexagon
VVVVVV
Information Doesn't Want To Be Free - Audiobook
Walkaway: Chapter One Preview - Audiobook
R in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition
Guacamelee!
Super Turbo Championship Edition
The Swapper
Thirty Flights of Loving
Spirits
Human Resource Machine
ROCKETSROCKETSROCKETS
The Boys Vol. 1: The Name of the Game - Issues #1-6
A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff - Collectible book of short fiction, essays, and poems
The Smart Girl's Guide to Privacy: Practical Tips for Staying Safe Online - Violet Blue
Any Empire
2064: Read Only Memories
A Virus Named TOM
7 Grand Steps: What Ancients Begat      
Mini Metro
Retro Game Crunch
Tower of Guns
Waking Mars
Song of the Deep 
Monster Loves You!
AI War: Fleet Command
Sproggiwood
Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora - Deluxe
Secrets of Rætikon
Girls Like Robots
Ellipsis
Streamline (Early Access)
Ninja Pizza Girl
Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball
Color Sky - Album  
Guns of Icarus Online
Q.U.B.E.: Director's Cut
Rituals
Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble
Super Galaxy Squadron EX
TIMEframe
JumpJet Rex
Potatoman Seeks the Troof
Hands-On Intro to Game Programming
Ballistick
GRAV (Early Access)
Team Indie
Luna's Wandering Stars
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
Chroma Squad
Shütshimi
Dusty Revenge: Co Op Edition
Beat Hazard Ultra
Double Fine Adventure
That's a lot of stuff! Your game doesn't have to be the best, maybe it just makes me laugh or something, so anyone could theoretically win this prize! Pretend I am a fickle Greek god and submit a game in the hopes that I will smile upon you!

Willbutt
Mar 5, 2016
I've already got a place on a team, and the temptation to make my own solo attempt too. Hype!!

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Wall of shame, here I come!

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I'm so down for entering the game jam this year, just need to find a team. Holla if you need a pixel artist.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
This jam is the best. I can't wait.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
I'm excited to do something new and stupid. If anyone has interest in a Unity programmer let me know, I've worked with some people from the forums on past jams and for the most part things have turned out alright.

Edit:
If anyone is interested in teaming up here's some of the stuff I've done previously.

http://www.awfuljams.com/sagdc-x/games/unarmed
http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2016/games/chillax-inc
http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/rx-mania
http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2017/games/bodega-blast

Nanomachine Son fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 6, 2017

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.
Wall of Shame, here I come!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'll try to make a VR game experience in Unreal 4.16 or 4.13. It'll be my first Jam here. Anyone interested in working on a tiny VR project hit me up via forums PM or myforumsnamewithoutthespace@gmail.com, otherwise it's just going to be public domain everything.

e: VVVV You're right, I'll ask in the discord.

e2: Answer: It's not against the rules, but there might be no one to judge it. Possible solutions include keeping normal control options in mind or just not winning.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 5, 2017

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
You may want to check if any of the judges have VR gear before you make a VR game.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
I can't wait to go with the first idea that comes to my head and roll with it because I find it funny for some reason and then end up with having all the judges hate it.

Also, if anyone wants me to help with your game, whether it's supplying lovely Voice Work or anything else feel free to contact me either here or on Discord. Take a look at https://afal.itch.io/ if you want to see the terrible things I've done in game jams in the past (I highly recommend An Video Game and Punch A Nazi though if you want to get a feel of what my "work" is like).

---

Anyway, I guess I should announce the bounties I always do:

There will be another bounty once the Game Making part of the jam is over (the "Guess The Judges Pick" one like I did for the littlejam earlier this year). Good luck to all taking part!

Afal fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 5, 2017

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Why is it not a full month? Not complaining, just curious.

Count me in for another stultifying effort nobody will truly like!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

ALFbrot posted:

Why is it not a full month? Not complaining, just curious.

Just experimenting. You still get four solid weekends.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

I am a Unity dev hoping to team up with people for some inspiring goon teamwork action.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Hell yeah, can't wait for the juiciest time of the year!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wait, I mean time of the year.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Xibanya of Team Dogpit reporting for jam hype duty. Looks like I'll be teaming up with ApproachingInfinity and megane again, and this time I swear I'm not gonna overscope it.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Xibanya posted:

and this time I swear I'm not gonna overscope it.

This will be the subtitle for the Winter Jam thread.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
The wall is waiting for me!

Maybe I'll manage a whole game this time.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Team Porkchop Express is going to be back with a bang and hopefully (maybe) make it two out of three for finishing a game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wish I was involved this year, but I have zero time for it. :negative:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wish I was involved this year, but I have zero time for it. :negative:

Listen man, you need to get your priorities in order and make a video game with internet friends.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TomR posted:

Listen man, you need to get your priorities in order and make a video game with internet friends.

But.... But I have a 2-month old now. I screwed up/my wife! :ohdear:

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

TheOrange, Supernorn, and I have each chosen a word in secret and then combined them to create our team name: VEG BOY REPUBLIC

Logo by Supernorn

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
The Veg Boy Republic will crush all dissent, comrade.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

awesomeolion posted:

TheOrange, Supernorn, and I have each chosen a word in secret and then combined them to create our team name: VEG BOY REPUBLIC

Logo by Supernorn

Great name/logo, even better (and impressively annoying uncomfortable :v:) phonetic misuse of Cyrillic characters.

I'm looking forward to another big dang jam with all you talented people!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
After trying to teach myself game making for two years I finally need to get in on this.

I'm gonna team up with three of my favorite people: I'll put me in charge of coding, designs will be by myself, and I'll do the music.

All four of me will cherish the place on the wall of shame forever.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I'm a beginner in GameMaker if anyone's interested in taking a babby programer on their team. I'm also a beginner pixel artist -- I'm not sure I'd rely on me for the bulk of arting, but if someone needs backup I've got aseprite, fam.

Now LMMS I can work like a pro so I can totally be your legal fourth musician.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I might try this this year. I figure a deadline is a great way to get myself to actually work on something.

Though I don't know if I'll join a team. My work schedule got really heinous recently and I don't think I'll have any weekends off. Rather than inconvenience anyone I think I might just work solo. I can program and art, so it shouldn't be too bad,

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Who wants to join TEAM PUNCH FIGHT this year?!

I'm doing something different this year in that I've basically already decided that I'm making a Zelda-like dungeon. No combat or other complicated character interactions, no frills, just interacting with puzzle elements in order to progress through a space. The theme of the dungeon and the actual puzzle mechanics, of course, will be based on the jam's theme, no matter how ridiculously gimmicky they might actually wind up being. If the theme winds up being collectible card games we are going to make it loving work.

The less code I can write, the better, because I want this to largely be a design exercise for me. It's my intent to spend the first weekend implementing all of the actual game mechanics and spending the entire rest of the time building out the dungeon. I'll be using UE4, since it's what I'm most familiar with, and doing all of the scripting in Blueprint so nobody has to deal with figuring out how to compile and run things.

I'm looking for people passionate about level design to help me build this thing. Ideally, I'd like a 3D environmental artist who can make the environment actually look good and a sound (and music??) guy to make sure we nail the ambiance. A character artist would be nice, but I'm sure I can half-rear end something or download it from the asset store. Experience with UE4 is a huge plus, as is knowledge of scripting environmental stuff with Blueprint.

PM me or hit me up in the AwfulJams Discord.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

after wall of shaming hard last year, ive boned up in actual coding in gml so yeah i am keen to throw something down on this one

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

spider wisdom (designer) and I (programmer, most likely using Unity) will do our darnedest to take part this year! We are currently working on a roguelike together (big thanks to the roguelikes thread & Discord)
No concrete plans yet - just found this thread and was reminded of the jam being a thing like ten minutes ago - but a clicker, maybe, is a dumb enough thing to make.
And not opposed to somebody here joining us in failing!

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Hello game dev thread. I am a cartoon artist person and I want to do some 3D things with your goon dev team. first off Here are some examples of my 2D work.

2D Enviorments and props
http://imgur.com/a/WWVjY

2D characters
http://imgur.com/a/Nn24t

3D Area

Mainframe Computer

About Me Although I am primarily a 2D designer. I really want to use this as an opportunity to work on some 3D environments/props, Or possibly do some sort of 2d/3d hybrid. right now I have a basic understanding of Maya quad modeling, and UV mapping with with Photoshop painted textures. I can also export FBX things. I have a tiny amount of experience in UE4, and I really want to learn more via this project. if you want to team up and make a SIMPLE GAME with cartoony 3D environments/props I would love to help you out. I work a full time job so I cannot devote a ton of time to this project, so please consider that before reaching out to me.

please email me at:
bmnoll1 at geeemaledotcom

Typical fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 12, 2017

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Non-Goon teammates are kosher, right?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Typical posted:

Hello game dev thread. I am a cartoon artist person and I want to do some 3D things with your goon dev team. first off Here are some examples of my 2D work.

2D Enviorments and props
http://imgur.com/a/WWVjY

2D characters
http://imgur.com/a/Nn24t

3D Area

Mainframe Computer

About Me Although I am primarily a 2D designer. I really want to use this as an opportunity to work on some 3D environments/props, Or possibly do some sort of 2d/3d hybrid. right now I have a basic understanding of Maya quad modeling, and UV mapping with with Photoshop painted textures. I can also export FBX things. I have a tiny amount of experience in UE4, and I really want to learn more via this project. if you want to team up and make a SIMPLE GAME with cartoony 3D environments/props I would love to help you out. I work a full time job so I cannot devote a ton of time to this project, so please consider that before reaching out to me.

please email me at:
bmnoll1 at geeemaledotcom

If you're on a team, can we legally make an official Rick and Morty game

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

If you're on a team, can we legally make an official Rick and Morty game

Dunno what the legality of that is. I'm pretty sure adultswim lawyers use black magic to destroy people over copy write stuff. Also I would prefer to keep my work at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Typical posted:

Dunno what the legality of that is. I'm pretty sure adultswim lawyers use black magic to destroy people over copy write stuff. Also I would prefer to keep my work at work.

I think they were kidding.

• Locked thread