Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

Have you played Within a Deep Forest? It's by the save developer and was freeware for a long time (probably still is). It has a lot of the exploration elements of Knytt but with an even more sparse story and is perfect for relaxing game time. You control a bouncing ball that can unlock different elements to transform into (iron, rubber, glass) and has a bunch of connected areas to explore. Check it out.
Knytt Stories is also extremely chill and has Metroidvania elements as well as people's custom campaigns, some of which are included I think

It was my favorite Metroidvania on PC for a long time until Hero Core came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

Have you played Within a Deep Forest? It's by the save developer and was freeware for a long time (probably still is). It has a lot of the exploration elements of Knytt but with an even more sparse story and is perfect for relaxing game time. You control a bouncing ball that can unlock different elements to transform into (iron, rubber, glass) and has a bunch of connected areas to explore. Check it out.

Man I love Within a Deep Forest

It has some decidedly unchill hairpullingly difficult parts tho

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dark Souls is my go-to chill out game. Bloodborne is a close second but setting up my PS4 is kind of a pain :effort:

BITCHERINO
Aug 7, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

Its extremely broken on ps4 rn

Thats your own goddAmn fault for playing a gaming masterpiece on an inferior system

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BITCHERINO posted:

Thats your own goddAmn fault for playing a gaming masterpiece on an inferior system

i thought we were talking about precisions options my dude

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I played Prey on PS4 at release and thought it was fine.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I played Prey on PS4 at release and thought it was fine.

It was patched. Poorly.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm watching a friend stream Thief and he's been walking through a featureless cave system and killing lizards with the worst combat ever for nearly an hour. A gaming masterpiece.

if you mean thief 4 yeah its pretty bad. if you mean thief 1 yeah it's not as good as thief 2 either

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

at launch the aiming was sluggish. they fixed that by adding extreme screen tearing, stutter, and a bug that cuts off a quarter of your fov permanently if you use the inventory until you load a new area.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Battleborn put out a 10gb patch yesterday to add........................................ hats

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

at launch the aiming was sluggish. they fixed that by adding extreme screen tearing, stutter, and a bug that cuts off a quarter of your fov permanently if you use the inventory until you load a new area.

Lmao well done

No way my old PC can run Prey which sucks because I'd like to play it. Hopefully they'll figure out how to fix the PS4 version eventually.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am terrible at console FPSes so I really, honestly could not tell that there was anything wrong with Prey's controls, they felt as muddy as every other console shooter I've played.

Real hurthling! posted:

But that sounds terrible, Arkane why :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Battleborn put out a 10gb patch yesterday to add........................................ hats

hats are important. just ask Super Mario.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

lol

BITCHERINO
Aug 7, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

i thought we were talking about precisions options my dude

Yeah i was just being a dick i feel for my ps4 brothers and sisters who cant enjoy this good rear end game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

you heard o' the 10 gallon hat? well this here is a 10 GB hat, buckeroo. *activates blue tooth speakers around the room that all say "IT'S HIGH NOON!"*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

corn in the bible posted:

if you mean thief 4 yeah its pretty bad. if you mean thief 1 yeah it's not as good as thief 2 either

It's thief 1. I'm sure the parts where you're actually thiefing are fine, but these long dungeon crawls seem awful.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lurdiak posted:

It's thief 1. I'm sure the parts where you're actually thiefing are fine, but these long dungeon crawls seem awful.

yeah, those are terrible. fortunately, there aren't any in thief 2 or 3!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Hey chat thread. Tmi incoming

Between my post about Within a Deep Forest and now I've had Real Mad Poops and vomited 5 (five!) times in rapid succession (twice in my poorly draining sink and thrice in the toilet). And I'm not even on a Carnival Cruise Line. If this is my last post on Earth I want you to know that I love you all and Final Fantasy XIII was trash for idiot babies.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hey chat thread. Tmi incoming

Between my post about Within a Deep Forest and now I've had Real Mad Poops and vomited 5 (five!) times in rapid succession (twice in my poorly draining sink and thrice in the toilet). And I'm not even on a Carnival Cruise Line. If this is my last post on Earth I want you to know that I love you all and Final Fantasy XIII was trash for idiot babies.
looks like you're within a deep torus (the torus being the toilet lid)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

Some of them were really creepy at the time (especially the second Cathedral level), but they haven't aged well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Stay hydrated.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played the Bouncer today. Unfairly maligned game IMO.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the bouncer was alright and it was also super cheap really quickly

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lurdiak posted:

The tie-in comic for the Injustice games is unbelievably good. It was supposed to be 6 issues long but got turned into an ongoing due to unexpected financial and critical success. But neither game's actual story is very good at all outside of a few moments and I'm shocked that anyone is praising them. I mean I guess by fighting game standards it's good, because loving look at any given bad Capcom fighter's awful story, but man. That's a low bar to clear.
The one thing I know about the injustice comic is green arrow died in the injustice universe, and the one currently there was sucked into it from another universe. Except the injustice GA was apparently a billionaire Bruce Wayne type, married to black canary, and has a newborn child with her. So he just kinda inherits that poo poo lol

I said come in! posted:

Pokemon Snap 2 is going to be announced tomorrow during the Nintendo Direct.
I'd buy a Switch if it was a good pokemon snap game

Pokémon snap ruled

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The dungeon crawls in Thief 1 were OK at the time but they definitely traded gameplay for atmosphere and that's the part that didn't age well. Bonehoard is the best one. Garrett's dry "That's a long way down" was so memorable that they stuck it in Dishonored. And the Horn of Quintus mournfully echoing through a bunch of hallways was rad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The dungeon crawls in Thief 1 were OK at the time but they definitely traded gameplay for atmosphere and that's the part that didn't age well. Bonehoard is the best one. Garrett's dry "That's a long way down" was so memorable that they stuck it in Dishonored. And the Horn of Quintus mournfully echoing through a bunch of hallways was rad.

It has one of the best maps in the game too, with Garrett falling down a hole and adding a section marked "WHERE AM I?"

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Will there ever be a stealth based game as good as the original Thief series?

I highly doubt it, not after what happened with T4ief. AAA-level productions just don't fit with the series.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rexroom posted:

Will there ever be a stealth based game as good as the original Thief series?

I highly doubt it, not after what happened with T4ief. AAA-level productions just don't fit with the series.

The ones that come close, although they're all different in their own ways:

Hitman 2016

Mark of the Ninja

Invisible Inc

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Knytt Stories is also extremely chill and has Metroidvania elements as well as people's custom campaigns, some of which are included I think

It was my favorite Metroidvania on PC for a long time until Hero Core came out

Also I'm a complete weirdo but the earlier Knytt games didn't grab me for some reason? I liked Uurnog, but I probably need to revisit those earlier games and check 'em out....but for now, I am more than happy with Knytt Underground. It has moments of trickiness, but in general it's just so nice to play doable exploration puzzles. So chill. :3:

(Which is what I need, my brother is visiting tomorrow and ehhhhnnnn it'll be good to see him but he's always a whirlwind of energy that I'm just not up for hosting at the mo. alas.)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
thief's dungeon crawls are too easy to be super bad, but they're definitely the least interesting part of the game from a design standpoint and survive entirely as a testament to how loving strong the atmosphere in old thief is. the bonehoard, at least, isn't super bad once you figure out that enemies are too slow and lumbering to be a real threat so you just kind of go climbing around a giant crypt and it's pretty neat

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Pokémon Snap will be announced but it will be Pokémon Snap GO, a Pokémon themed Snapchat clone.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Victor Vran: Mötorhead Through The Ages
:eyepop:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

accidentally pressed new game instead of load game and I've instantly lost all my progress in Prey.

Truly a Gamer's Folly...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It erases saves from the load game menu? From what I remember the game kept a few last saves, not only the last one.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Nah I went to choose Load but chose New without realising and pressing enter on a save and backing out was enough to erase it. My own dumb fault.

Having said that, Prey was a pretty good game. Maybe in a month I'll try finish it. Hopefully they fix their busted PS4 patches.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

In Training posted:

I played the Bouncer today. Unfairly maligned game IMO.

A masterpiece. DAURAGON C MIKADO

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Is that battlegrounds game actually any good? GMG sent me a voucher to get it 25% off and I've seen it all Over the place but I really wasn't sure on it from the small bits I'd seen but it sounds interesting.

I might have picked up tekken but I can't bring myself to get a fighting game at more than 20 quid nowadays.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Player Unknown Battlegrounds? It's a Battle Royale-style game where 100 players are airdropped onto an island(you choose when you drop) and you scrounge for gear to kill everyone else with. It's apparently super fun and way better than those survival games like DayZ that it seems to be most commonly associated with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Yeah, aside from loving Operation Flashpoint many years ago I've not been an arma lover. I enjoyed some of the stories etc from DayZ but it was laborious to play (similar to my thoughts on EVE).

Had a quick look online and many people say it's fun to play and a way better game than DayZ etc but then there was an article on RPS basically saying 'nope it's still bad like DayZ is for this writer, and the players suck'. Wondered if people cared here since there was no thread I could see and it might be cool in teams of 2/3.

• Locked thread