Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hifi posted:

new gnome is always nice

dnf 2 fixes a bug or missing feature i had a while back that i cant remember now

fedora modular looks interesting but it 's probably a giant developer shop only feature

looks like mostly a big plumbing release though

i used clementine as a media player. it's fine but its no Foobar2000

Clementine looks nice for an iTunes replacement, and it actually works with playlist files (which rhythmbox doesn't support). It's got a lot going on in it though - wikipedia browser, tags, libraries - but it doesn't need a UI window for playback, so that's nice.

However, for playlist files that contain more than just ascii, it can't find the component files (but vlc, audacious and totem played them just fine).

I guess maybe I could work on submitting a patch or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

yeah i just disabled all that stupid poo poo. it's designed based on amarok, if you happen to be using kde

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Lmao at virtualization in a system where noisy neighbor can kill you

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hifi posted:

new gnome is always nice

new gnome should have wayland on nvidia, so wayland will be the default everywhere. gnome has also been getting a lot of cool hidpi stuff lately like osx-style desktop scaling and a meta-monitor system for properly handling mixed-dpi setups, but idk if it landed too late for f26

also red hat should just hire the adapta theme guy and make it the default, because it's so much nicer than that clunky, gray adwaita crap with giant title bars that gnome defaults to.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

spankmeister posted:

I think I read something about this AGL being done for cost reasons because ofc it'd be cheaper to have just one computer instead of a whole bunch

the approach to security would then be to use some Xen variant for "securely" segregating VM's.

I can't wait for someone to rowhammer their way out of the sandbox from the entertainment system and own the entire car

it should be against the law for any part of a car other than the infotainment system to be connected electrically to a computer that's more advanced than an 8-bit microcontroller

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

on mir they just used pencils

Just wanted to say I appreciated this post

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the russians worked it out with a pencil

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

it should be against the law for any part of a car other than the infotainment system to be connected electrically to a computer that's more advanced than an 8-bit microcontroller

just put m0s in everything and get rid of all the lovely old 8 bit architectures

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

z80 is enough for anyone

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

How are you gonna do aslr on 8 bit smdh

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

spankmeister posted:

very carefully

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
today's "daily deal" from Apress is Linux Sound Programming

I can only imagine that you'd be paying US$9.99 for an ebook that's nothing but "LOL" repeated for however many pages it is

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

el dorito posted:

they completely broke totem's playlist support for no reason other than it didn't fit the ui paradigm

and I don't want to use rhythmbox or other crap because I want a lightweight player that doesn't need to scan my home directory all the time for new music and take up memory with databases

I want to love audacious but it doesn't support media keys so I actually have to tab over to the application to pause music

1st world problems but I was similarly angry at gnome shell and its anemic compromise, gnome classic.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Lollypop isnt that bad, although it does seem to build a database of files in the background

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

today's "daily deal" from Apress is Linux Sound Programming

I can only imagine that you'd be paying US$9.99 for an ebook that's nothing but "LOL" repeated for however many pages it is

I'm sure the book is just blank

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
they should distribute it in audiobook form

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phobeste posted:

they should distribute it in audiobook form

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

spankmeister posted:

flip a coin

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

upgrading fedora day

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

upgrading fedora day

7109/9797

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

what are you upgrading to

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hifi posted:

what are you upgrading to

24 to 25

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i was going to go straight to the 26 beta but now i want to use php 7 so im considering that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hifi posted:

i was going to go straight to the 26 beta but now i want to use php 7 so im considering that
pull left, dude, pull left

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

pull left, dude, pull left

turn left dale noooo

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

hifi posted:

:therapy:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i'm trying php now and its clicking more than every other quick trial of a web dev setup i ever did (i assume this is a bad thing). here's my forums software progress

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hifi posted:

i'm trying php now and its clicking more than every other quick trial of a web dev setup i ever did (i assume this is a bad thing). here's my forums software progress

how's the csrf protection on that work?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

logged in and it works, nice

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i have to say that being back on linux is kind-of growing on me in a weird way. maybe i should save up for a macbook or something now that they are maybe good?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Thanks you dickhead you made me impatient and i upgraded and the zfs kernel module broke

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hifi posted:

Thanks you dickhead you made me impatient and i upgraded and the zfs kernel module broke

time to switch to gentoo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cinci zoo sniper posted:

time to switch to gentoo

it's never this time

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i built the new release candidate from source. surprisingly this was the easiest thing to get rpms built with i've ever used

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

hifi posted:

i'm trying php now

dude it's 2017, start with something good

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Cocoa Crispies posted:

how's the csrf protection on that work?

does it have a web api?

do you have xss protection on that api?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

like Lisp or Haskell

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

plain java servlet

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013