Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

DONT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

at least dont let him do this: https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Minecraft

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

son wants to make miecraft vids where he records the gameplay and also webcamms his face and then does picture in picture
much like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePK_j6y67Mw

anyone ave any experience

lol if u hate ur son then sure, use obs

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBICLteuQs8

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nevermind echi, your kid owns.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
r u guys afraid of pedos

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

r u guys afraid of pedos

:confused:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

r u guys afraid of pedos

no, i'm out of their desired age range

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Buy him a baseball glove and play catch with him instead of plopping him in front of screens for 18 hours a day

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

they will be able tell him things that he should not be told

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

echinopsis posted:

r u guys afraid of pedos

no, i'm actually insanely jealous of the millions your kid is going to make being a youtube minecraft super star :mad:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

echinopsis posted:

r u guys afraid of pedos

i'm afraid people don't understand statistics, and that most pedophiles come from way inside the community, usually the family unit

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
What is the best hosting for an idiot spare time project that probably doesn't need much cpu power, ram, storage or bandwidth, but needs to run an up-to-date os that I can install arbitrary poo poo on. Also it would be running 24/7

All the butt provides' cheapest tiers seem like they would be good enough and linode seems like the cheapest of the bunch.

I guess I'm going to try running my poo poo on a low resource local virtual machine first though

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
google cloud compute has 300 dollars worth of credit free. aws has a free tier. an ovh vps is like 3.47 united states Dollars / mo.

i never liked linode because they seemed like they were really stingy w/ bandwidth

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Wheany posted:

What is the best hosting for an idiot spare time project that probably doesn't need much cpu power, ram, storage or bandwidth, but needs to run an up-to-date os that I can install arbitrary poo poo on. Also it would be running 24/7

All the butt provides' cheapest tiers seem like they would be good enough and linode seems like the cheapest of the bunch.

I guess I'm going to try running my poo poo on a low resource local virtual machine first though

i use linode for some similarly pointless stuff, and it has worked great so far. feels a bit duct-taped-together as a service, but cheap and they seem to at least know how to wield the tape

1 terabyte of data a month seems a rather excessive amount for my needs, and speeds seem good. i guess it really depends on what one is planning to do with it though

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Wheany posted:

do not linode

vultr if you just want a cheapo vps, lowest tier is $2.5/mo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Arcsech posted:

do not linode

vultr if you just want a cheapo vps, lowest tier is $2.5/mo

why not linode though? the low tiers are the same by the numbers

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I use prgmr and it's fine

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

why not linode though? the low tiers are the same by the numbers

linode has pretty regular security issues

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
do any of you guys have experience with silk screening on aluminum?

or a place where I can make (quite precise, think 1/4 inch high text) a decal?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Arcsech posted:

linode has pretty regular security issues

Who doesn't, but it does seem they do learn from their mistakes.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
digital ocean has VPSes for $5

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Olivil posted:

do any of you guys have experience with silk screening on aluminum?

or a place where I can make (quite precise, think 1/4 inch high text) a decal?

Vinyl cutter decal

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that would be technically possible, but it'd have to be pretty chunky text to not make weeding a living hell

i imagine silkscreening on aluminum is the same as silkscreening on anything else, as long as you use a paint that will adhere to the metal

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i was a bit worried about my idiot side project because it was consuming over 100 megs of ram while running it on my computer.

i tried it on a virtual machine with 512 megs or ram and it only used a bit over 20 megs.

thanks, java. thava. (unironically)

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sagebrush posted:

i think sometimes about getting a bubble imac and gutting it and sticking in a proper LCD display and micro-ATX pc and being the ultimate hipster

i would get a sage one, of course

but i'm pretty sure the CRT is fused right into the case, and i don't really want to try to sawzall out a vacuum tube of that size, and i'm also not sure i could make the internal electronics look as purty as jony did

that is a cool idea and i support u

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
i dismantled one and the CRT should be held on with a retention ring with bolts on every corner, the only problem is the geometry for a flat screen replacement is nearly unworkable with the available plastic

you could reuse the crt and analog board, it is just 1024x768 and uses vga signalling for the most part

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Finally got one of my idiot spare time projects up and running today and cutting wood for realz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3CTko1PwI

My dad and I have been working on a Mostly Printed CNC machine for a while now making slow progress as we have time. I still need to complete a printed enclosure for some of the electronics but it is otherwise complete and running and Cutting Things. Next step: figure out how to CAM because neither of us have a clue of WTF we're doing there. Still the machine is rad as heck if something of a tool in search of a problem.

Here's a few pictures of the machine at slightly off angles making everything look skewed.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

echinopsis posted:

son wants to make miecraft vids where he records the gameplay and also webcamms his face and then does picture in picture
much like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ8cjlEMLR0

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
After a 3 year hiatus, I'm making beer again. Gonna do 5 gallons of hefeweizen after work. :w00t: :homebrew:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my dad was bitching about printing from his android or whatever so i 've got a Orange Pi Zero H2 coming in that i 'm gonna try out doing that thing with

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is supposed to be ready wednesday and it still needs work on the ball lifting mech. I'm going to build the ball catcher tomorrow. Its going to a local hippy festival and will end the event on fire apparently.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice hope you get the sweet drugs

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is a family friendly event with an emphasis on no drugs or alcohol. Lots of flow art and poi and vagina self portraits though

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

drat printer drivers are the stupidest things in the world

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

hifi posted:

drat printer drivers are the stupidest things in the world

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

well there goes this

hifi posted:

my dad was bitching about printing from his android or whatever so i 've got a Orange Pi Zero H2 coming in that i 'm gonna try out doing that thing with

needs ot be x86. i'll just do a vm i guess

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I am the proud owner of a Quadra 660AV that I got for free. unfortunately the case seems to have turned into a pile of plastic mush and broke entirely apart! also there's no CPU in it. i have all the other parts to make it work though.

so I guess I own the bottom half of a 660AV.

the 660AV is cool because it has an onboard 55MHz DSP32 for use with video encoding/decoding. it features S-Video and composite video in/out, 48KHz audio recording and playback, and PLAYING FULL MOTION VIDEO IN A WINDOW.

according to internal documents Commodore was working on integrating a DSP32 with an AGA version of the A3000 and hosed it up as was their wont, leaving Apple to pick up the pieces. AT&T went to Apple instead and the Quadra 660AV and its big brother the Quadra 840AV (the most powerful 68K mac with a 40MHz 040 and 66MHz DSP32) was the result.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 16, 2017

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
i had one of those in 1994

although the hardware was really cool the dsp32 turned out disappointing because apple never did much with it and neither did third party developers.

it wasn't actually used for PLAYING FULL MOTION VIDEO IN A WINDOW btw, that was quicktime and qt could do that even on really wimpy 68030s. qt was seriously an amazing accomplishment in that regard, but back to the dsp

the two things i recall ever using the dsp32 for were:

1. apple made a soft-modem that ran on the dsp32. this still required external hardware, a little pod containing telephone line interface electronics (dac+adc+ring detect etc) that connected to one of the mini din-8 serial ports, which they modified for the AV quadras by adding a power pin so the pod didn't need an external psu, and probably some other thing i'm forgetting. i remember the connector had a weird keying you didn't see on other 68k macs, because they didn't want people trying to plug the pod into an older mac's serial port.

2. they wrote some voice command bullshit so you could tell your computer to do stuff, it didn't work very well but it was way science fictiony in the 1990s

so like half of it was a useful thing, but it was a thing you could just buy off the shelf (mid-late 1990s modems were already adc+dac+dsp inna box) and the other half was a tech demo

i think i might have tried to play around with the dsp32 sdk a bit but couldn't think of anything to do with it :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i totally remember the speech recognition lol, I think I played with it on the first Mac I got as a childe (LC 630) and it never worked very well.

the internet says it also came with some video encoding software that could record 320x240 25fps video off the video ports using the DSP. the SDK is apparently a nightmare so nobody really used it for anything other than science departments that could swing a Mac and low-end video editor types.

musicians were still using Atari STs in 1994 (Cubase was actively developed for TOS up until 1995) anyway. every big studio in Europe had a Falcon.