Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Boat explodes after gas was pumped into fishing rod holder

http://www.wral.com/boat-explodes-after-gas-was-pumped-into-fishing-rod-holder/16740105/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

"This is exactly what Trump would say. It’s like the battle of the bad-hair narcissists." LOL.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Facebook Aunt posted:

"This is exactly what Trump would say. It’s like the battle of the bad-hair narcissists." LOL.

To be honest, I only looked at the headline.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The article is pretty funny.

quote:

She also wants us to know that the Secret Service is, as a result also interested in her — which would be the first time in years anybody’s been interested in her.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Game of Thrones put Bush II's head on a spike

After the family had done with them no one ever watched the show again

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Bear breaks into home, plays piano

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/nytimesarts/status/871561919316058114

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's good that he saved that guy, but what about all the straight women and gay dudes in the area who became uncontrollably aroused by his feat?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

He's lucky he didn't get thrown off the top into a street full of molten lead.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
personally I didn't even realize the cathedral had hands

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

So the ex- governor of california was hiding an identity as a ballet dancer all those years? Go figure.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

He's lucky he didn't get thrown off the top into a street full of molten lead.

https://i.imgur.com/tm923JZ.gifv

canis minor
May 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/MagicRealismBot strikes again?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Have an unusual but happy headline: Muslim and Latino groups unite during Ramadan, breaking fast with tacos at mosques

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

That's awesome.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

That's awesome.

Well, that's a good iftar idea for tomorrow.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Somewhere, our beloved Commander-in-Cheeto is experiencing a vague sense of horror and outrage that he simply cannot place a name to.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

This is silly because as good as tacos are, traditional Iftar dishes are better.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My muslim colleagues bring leftovers to work for the rest of us to munch on during the day. They may be fasting but we're getting fatter

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
What do Muslim people who live north of the arctic circle do? Because they would have like 2 minutes of "dusk" to get their daily caloric intake.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

ZombieLenin posted:

What do Muslim people who live north of the arctic circle do? Because they would have like 2 minutes of "dusk" to get their daily caloric intake.

After a certain latitudes you just use the hours at Mecca.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Bogan King posted:

After a certain latitudes you just use the hours at Mecca.

That seems like cheating. I mean, everyone should be allowed to use Mecca time if it means you have to wait less long to eat.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it works the same way with mogwai's and gremlins.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think it works the same way with mogwai's and gremlins.

Are you suggesting mogwai are Muslim?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

There are (multiple) fatwas for everything.

How to Fast for Ramadan in the Arctic, Where the Sun Doesn't Set

Also, FYI:

Malaysia's Muslim Astronaut Needn't Fast in Space During Ramadan, Says Minister

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Well, they do have beards and hail from Asia.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Similarly, the procedure for Muslim prayers in space is "try to face Mecca, it's OK as long as you put in a good effort."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I have a feeling it's like with Judaism where there are protocols of increasing complexity depending on how serious/orthodox you are.

Like putting up a mezuzah; you put it up on the right side of your doorway, tilted slightly. And maybe also on every doorway. Including maybe the inside ones. Also maybe on everything that you walk or pass through, such as your car. Maybe. Otherwise just the front door is probably fine.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

That's great for the astronaut, but let's be optimistic about human beings and imagine humans living off planet permanently in the mid-term future of our species.

What are non "traveling" Muslims who live in space, where there would be radically different periods between sun and sunset, supposed to do?

Probably the Mecca time thing.

Also, which direction do Muslims in space pray?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ZombieLenin posted:

iirc, they pic a direction relative to the craft or station or whatever and call it Meccaward.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Bloop posted:

Not all Mogwai are Muslim, but all Muslims are Mogwai.

Stripe did nothing wrong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/872547916719706112

Capitalism continues to go very well.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

That's great for the astronaut, but let's be optimistic about human beings and imagine humans living off planet permanently in the mid-term future of our species.

What are non "traveling" Muslims who live in space, where there would be radically different periods between sun and sunset, supposed to do?

Probably the Mecca time thing.

You're looking for A Guideline of Performing Ibadah (worship) at the International Space Station (ISS) published by Malaysia's National Fatwa Council

Here's a video of him doing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85FHqtDCTmk

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

This wasn't just some makeshift protest. This was voted on.:psyduck:

quote:

In a statement, shareholders who invested in Yancheng Safari Park say they held a meeting and voted in favor of feeding the live donkey to the tigers to express their frustration.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Regarding religious observations, the best way that I've heard it phrased is that the intent of the act and the respect to God it shows is what really matters, and part of that respect is seeking a learned authority on what to do.

So if you're facing towards Mecca and are off because you're rocketing through space at a bajillion miles an hour or because your compass is broken or the app has a bug, it doesn't make your prayers any less sincere or worthy.

It appears in some denominations of Christianity as well, probably most infamously with the capybara being considered a fish for the purposes of eating meat on Friday, but it is a big part of many of the traditionalist groups such as the Amish and Mennonites, where they can ride in cars and fly on airplanes, so long as it's okayed by their Bishop.

Azathoth has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Jun 7, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Azathoth posted:

Regarding religious observations, the best way that I've heard it phrased is that the intent of the act and the respect to God it shows is what really matters, and part of that respect is seeking a learned authority on what to do.

So if you're facing towards Mecca and are off because you're rocketing through space at a bajillion miles an hour or because your compass is broken or the app has a bug, it doesn't make your prayers any less sincere or worthy.

It appears in some denominations of Christianity as well, probably most infamously with the capybara being considered a fish for the purposes of eating meat on Friday, but it is a big part of many of the traditionalist groups such as the Amish and Mennonites, where they can ride in cars and fly on airplanes, so long as it's okayed by their Bishop.

Now I want to see Amish astronauts. Amish in space.

edit:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

Now I want to see Amish astronauts. Amish in space.

edit:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
‘Cane battle’ breaks out between seniors in Vaughan, Ont., parking lot

VAUGHAN, Ont. – A cane fight that broke out between two elderly women in a parking lot north of Toronto resulted in police being called to break up the scuffle.

York regional police say they were called to a No Frills grocery store parking lot in Vaughan, Ont. shortly after 11 a.m. on Tuesday.

Const. Andy Pattenden says concerned citizens called police as the two women in their 70s were engaged in a cane duel, screaming and shouting at each other.

He says by the time officers arrived, the fight had ended without injury, with one woman trying to take off in a vehicle and the other going inside the grocery store to shop for food.

He says police spoke to both women, although he says the one inside the store didn’t want to talk and preferred to continue looking for produce.

Pattenden says he doesn’t know what the two were fighting over, but neither are expected to be charged.

“It just sounds like some angry older people,” Pattenden said.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3507093/cane-battle-breaks-out-between-seniors-in-vaughan-ont-parking-lot/

sadly, no cane fighting footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
That's the Vaughanest story.

Why you don't take the elderly to see Wonder Woman, though.