Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

wayfinder posted:

He's the guy who made Al Capone's reincarnated soul the unironic bad guy in a trilogy

Yeah he's rad as gently caress. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Memento posted:

I'll give it a shot, I need something to read having finally managed to wade through the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Because it's a single book it's way tighter than his sprawling serieses.

The very ending is a bit... :stonk: though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Phlegmish posted:

A common theme is incongruous guns

"Women laughing while eating salad" is practically its own genre.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Biplane posted:

Yeah he's rad as gently caress. :colbert:

I'm not disagreeing. I was just surprised to see him mentioned as hard scifi ;)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Don't take carp from no one! Clean these mean streams Fish Detective Pauline Cooper!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

wayfinder posted:

I'm not disagreeing. I was just surprised to see him mentioned as hard scifi ;)

I found the progression of technologies that he envisaged to be pretty sensible, and far from the Stainless Steel Rat type of material. Hard enough for me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nordick posted:

Sounds like you're thinking of Bill, the Galactic Hero. He was the country bumpkin who was drafted into war and lost his left arm and leg in battle, had his left arm replaced with his dead buddy's right arm, and had a different new mutant animal leg in every book. Because the military had a shortage of actual human spare parts.

Stainless Steel Rat was about the con man/gentleman thief who got into all sorts of shady adventure hijinks. Also a very good series and pretty funny but not straight-up cheeseball parody like Bill.

I should reread some of those, I was so young when I read them that there were probably some jokes that flew way over my head.

Never read Bill, the Galactic Hero

The Stainless Steel Rat was an honorific like The Dread Pirate Roberts

More rats that way

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

syscall girl posted:

Insanely sick

Sometimes the yospos pics thread did a few pages of those images and it went better than could have been expected but they are lost in time

Alan Alda ?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Saw this in a store yesterday:

An adult coloring book. About an 80s sitcom. ?

$16.99 adult coloring book about an 80s sitcom. :psyduck:

That didn't even air on ABC, smdh

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

and i'd only heard good things about paying for sex

well yeah, ur mom made a shitload of money

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

well yeah, ur mom made a shitload of money

lol

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Orgasm in Spanish/Portuguese is probably orgasmo or something, that kid knew exactly what he was doing.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Is this a Transformers sequel?

Prequel.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Harry Harrison's "To The Stars" trilogy is still one of my favourite sci-fis.

Despite being softcore pulp, it accurately depicts a space battle better than most anything else I've ever read.

It also spends a lot of time on practical challenges of living on lovely tidally locked planets.

I don't know, I highly recommend it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FuhrerHat posted:

Harry Harrison's "To The Stars" trilogy is still one of my favourite sci-fis.

Despite being softcore pulp, it accurately depicts a space battle better than most anything else I've ever read.

It also spends a lot of time on practical challenges of living on lovely tidally locked planets.

I don't know, I highly recommend it.

Harry Harrison was a genius, but also a guy of his times.

His later works uh

quote:

Imperetrix Von Kaiser-Czarski is the richest man in the universe, and someone is systematically robbing all of his banks. He decides that the best course of action is to set a thief to catch a thief, and the best thief of them all is one Slippery Jim diGriz. Sceptical at first, Jim is soon won over by the promise of four million credits a day, plus expenses. Jim and Angelina enlist the help of their twin sons, James and Bolivar, and James' computers soon find the common link between all of the robberies: every time a bank was hit, there was a circus in town. The same circus. What better way to find out about the goings on among circus-folk than to become one of them? And so Slippery Jim becomes master magician Mighty Marvell, and soon discovers that—just like him—everyone isn't quite what they seem.

quote:

Slippery Jim diGriz, alias the Stainless Steel Rat, the galaxy's greatest thief and con artist, returns in his most devilish caper yet.

DiGriz is strenuously fighting boredom on a ritzy pleasure planet when his beloved wife disappears while vising the Temple of Eternal Truth, an enigmatic institution that promises its patrons a sneak peek at Heaven--for a price.

Determined to get his wife back, diGriz takes on the Temple. He thinks he's ready for anything, but he never expects to find himself banished to Hell, complete with pointy-tailed devils. Has Divine judgement caught up with the Rat at last?

Of course not.

:rip: you crazy diamond

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Harry Harrison wrote West of Eden, a novel about cavmen getting invaded by a race of super intelligent humanoid dinosaurs who have incredibly advanced genetic manipulation technology, to the point that all their machines, transportation, weapons, etc. are artificially created living creatures, but never discovered fire.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think I read that one. Doesn't the protagonist end up in a weird relationship with one of the reptile commanders at one point?

e: oh, he was raised by them

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Jun 6, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

Harry Harrison wrote West of Eden, a novel about cavmen getting invaded by a race of super intelligent humanoid dinosaurs who have incredibly advanced genetic manipulation technology, to the point that all their machines, transportation, weapons, etc. are artificially created living creatures, but never discovered fire.

genius :colbert:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phlegmish posted:

I think I read that one. Doesn't the protagonist end up in a weird relationship with one of the reptile commanders at one point?

The lizard leader starts molesting him, yeah

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Seriously.

I bought a copy of Dhalgren strictly because of the cover. I've read it cover to cover 3 times, and I still can't quite wrap my head around it.

I bought that when I was a kid. The thing was a mind-blower and as you said it's hard to follow. What really stuck with me were the holograms that people wore. Seemed like such a cool idea.

Between John Berkey and Chris Foss all your wild science fiction spaceship needs will be covered. :cool:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Considering that Pitbull went all the way to that Walmart in Alaska, I'd totally believe that he would record a track for an album like that if it's for a contest winner or something.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Considering that Pitbull went all the way to that Walmart in Alaska, I'd totally believe that he would record a track for an album like that if it's for a contest winner or something.

If that weren't an Obvious Plant, I'd agree. I can't even hate Pitbull because he was such a good sport about that whole thing.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

WHAT'S IN THE JACK-IN-THE-BOX

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The future of cat

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Elias_Maluco posted:

The future of cat

I would like to know more

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Titus Sardonicus posted:

If that weren't an Obvious Plant, I'd agree. I can't even hate Pitbull because he was such a good sport about that whole thing.

I don't think you were supposed to

Now SMARshmouf eat the egggggggg, that's a whole different thing

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Guy Goodbody posted:

The lizard leader starts molesting him, yeah

Yeah but she only does that in between literally breeding the male lizard people to death.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Elias_Maluco posted:

The future of cat

Future? Please.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

This is what the alt-right believes

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

rest of set?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Fried Watermelon posted:

Maybe its not a bad idea :shrug:

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Nordick posted:

Stainless Steel Rat was about the con man/gentleman thief who got into all sorts of shady adventure hijinks. Also a very good series and pretty funny but not straight-up cheeseball parody like Bill.

He was a porcuswine herder as a kid, as far as I recall.

Funny picture tax, to balance out the derail.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

Alt-right, alt-right, alt-right!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Solice Kirsk posted:

Alt-right, alt-right, alt-right!

that doesnt do anything on my keyboard

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jim DiGriz posted:

He was a porcuswine herder as a kid, as far as I recall.

Funny picture tax, to balance out the derail.

I just laughed myself to tears with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

canyoneer posted:

I just laughed myself to tears with that
It's wonderful.