Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well Queensguard is probably dead. No Veteran and no way to stop Vicovaro medic anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

I've always known it as just a card that has a sudden spike on the board.

It comes from Magic the Gathering R&D's player psychographic profiles. A Spike card would generally mean a card that a Spike would like/play.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Dethmold no longer pulls blue stripe commandos...

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

machine NR's gonna be pretty good

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Minrad posted:

Dethmold no longer pulls blue stripe commandos...

It means mages don't immediately die to Skellige Storm so you can decoy them to clear it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Minrad posted:

RIP hunters, regressing and no longer veteran :rip:
Wow I hate Skellige and think removing veteran as well is way too much...

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

No Wave posted:

Wow I hate Skellige and think removing veteran as well is way too much...

Swim's spellige deck is virtually unchanged and still strong, thankfully. I think with the hunter nerf, morkvarg decks will move towards possibly utilizing warcriers instead of hunters and still be strong, but less faceroll in round 2/3 with big hunter revives.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Have they said when this patch is coming?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

"Soon"

Connection issue fixed, supposedly!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
ST slightly weaker, Skellige much weaker, Nilfgaard pretty much the same aside from golem nerf, Northern Realms machine decks might actually be good now?, Monsters buffed.

EDIT: Skellige Storm is left to right now for some reason.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Skellige Storm is left to right to actually match the animation

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

If a row has, for example, 4 cards, it can make half the damage. From 4 points to 2 points. That's a decent nerf.

In any case frost was annoying precisely in rows with a good amount of units (4-7 cards), that's the part they are nerfing.
But if the weakest/strongest units on a large row have the same str it'll do more than 2, and I still don't know if frost will deal 2 if units all have the same str.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^^ Frost is not being changed anymore.

I guess it means spawned units won't get hit for 3, which is probably a good thing for monster decks.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Hope you guys like Spellgaard :barf:

nerox
May 20, 2001
Was Caleno harpy left untouched?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

Hope you guys like Spellgaard :barf:
Not nerfing Impera Enforcer is by far the biggest omission. It's obviously hotfix-level broken. They need to monitor Gwent criminal scumbag Swim more closely.

nerox posted:

Was Caleno harpy left untouched?
Yes. I'm happy with it, harpy is op but fun like rot tosser.

Also gentle skellige reminder that r3 shieldmaidens are stronger than crones

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I feel like the changes could've used another week in the oven. They feel almost kneejerky to what was OP the first few days of the beta, and not now.

my opinions:
Queensguard has already dropped off almost completely, and now being unable to counter vicovaro on top of the veteran nerf is just an absurdly huge nerf to the deck.
Weather monsters getting buffed...? If Harpies were getting nerfed at the same time on top of some other buff to consume monsters, then sure, but... (also what's up with that Fiend buff lol)
NR siege decks will probably be viable if not just downright broken with the right list. Ballistas cry out for someone to build a busted control and/or weather deck for them.
Buffing all the mages slightly is so strange when almost every deck runs each faction's mage already.
Hunters probably could've kept veteran. Don't think I'd ever run them now.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

No Wave posted:

Not nerfing Impera Enforcer is by far the biggest omission. It's obviously hotfix-level broken. They need to monitor Gwent criminal scumbag Swim more closely.

Yes. I'm happy with it, harpy is op but fun like rot tosser.

Also gentle skellige reminder that r3 shieldmaidens are stronger than crones

I saw a game of spell NG played and didn't really understand it. I guess the idea is to have nothing but gold units and disruption, thereby making opponent disruption cards useless? How do you ensure your enforcers promote?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Magic Underwear posted:

I saw a game of spell NG played and didn't really understand it. I guess the idea is to have nothing but gold units and disruption, thereby making opponent disruption cards useless? How do you ensure your enforcers promote?

You draw a lot of cards and manipulate the order of your deck with Leader ability x 2 with Cahir, Cantarella, ect. It's very consistent but sometimes you just garbage luck. I've went from rank 10 to 15 in the last few days with it though so it's obviously strong.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

You run very few actual units, so you can filter your deck down to only having one gold very quickly.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

What the above posters said. Here's the decklist: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/20173-updated-swims-spellgaard

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm actually a little worried that they might be too generous with this game. It's already way, way faster to put together a deck than in Hearthstone, which is probably a good thing for retaining new players. But boosting the mill value of cards seems like it might be a bad idea - just comparing it to Hearthstone, you have:

Significantly cheaper to craft cards
Smaller deck size
Smaller overall card pool
Smaller and less frequent expansions (from what it sounds like, maybe this is wrong?)
Easy to get 2 kegs per day vs like .5 packs a day average in HS

I'm probably missing something else, but I guess I'm wondering how they plan to keep people spending money when it already seems like drat near everyone I play against has a fully loaded netdeck and the game isn't even officially out yet. This game is a lot of fun so far, so I'm hoping they have a good model for keeping it going.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm actually a little worried that they might be too generous with this game. It's already way, way faster to put together a deck than in Hearthstone, which is probably a good thing for retaining new players. But boosting the mill value of cards seems like it might be a bad idea - just comparing it to Hearthstone, you have:

Significantly cheaper to craft cards
Smaller deck size
Smaller overall card pool
Smaller and less frequent expansions (from what it sounds like, maybe this is wrong?)
Easy to get 2 kegs per day vs like .5 packs a day average in HS

I'm probably missing something else, but I guess I'm wondering how they plan to keep people spending money when it already seems like drat near everyone I play against has a fully loaded netdeck and the game isn't even officially out yet. This game is a lot of fun so far, so I'm hoping they have a good model for keeping it going.

Looks like it's going to going to be through a beefy singleplayer mode, and vanity whales with meteorite dust.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Hearthstone is one of the most profitable games ever created. It has a staff of probably 10-15 direct developers/designers and it can use a lot of the same QA that Blizzard maintains inhouse for all their other games. Hearthstone makes, I think, what, 10 million+ dollars in profit, monthly. I don't think it's realistic to try and design your game's revenue stream to compete with that, or else you end up flopping the same way Duelyst and Duels of the Planeswalkers and other long forgotten card games have. If anything Gwent may be a loss leader for CDPR to draw people to gog; they've literally already started advertising their sales by linking them to Gwent. See:

https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/872158698336129025

That said, the plan to keep revenue incoming is adding new cards each season. I don't think they've said directly what their plan for new cards is, but 20-30 new cards every 2 months and keeping most of them at higher rarities will keep people paying for the game for a long rear end time. They've also stated that the single player content will be paid; only multiplayer Gwent is truly "free"

I also think it's a little weird to worry about the game's long term revenue by looking at players playing the game for hours each day. People that actually invest that much time in Gwent OR Hearthstone should rarely need to actually spend money on the game; the money's in people that want to play for a few weeks, get bored, and then come back every time there's a new expansion and pay to see the cards from it.

Minera fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 6, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Er did they say WHEN the patch would be?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

RatHat posted:

Er did they say WHEN the patch would be?

Soon.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Re: Skellige

[–]rethaz [+3]CD PROJEKT RED 15 points an hour ago
I'd be happy to talk to you :)
The priority interaction of savage bears has consistently caused a great deal of problems throughout the history of the game (meaning it is the cause of many bugs). Also for many players it feels exceptionally bad and un-intuitive to have your ability countered before you have a chance to play it, if there are multiple bears on the board this starts to become a real problem with interactions within the game. Hence, the decision to change it.
Regarding Queensguards, well this unit is probably one of the most difficult to find the right balance for due to the long term investment that they become during a game. So while they might feel awesome to play and fun for you, they can and often do lead to a surprise 30 point play from one card in the last round. That isn't something we are really happy with and leads to a lot of frustration.
Now since I brought up frustration, we have been seeing a lot of Skellige players frustrated with disruption of their Graveyard, this is something we're currently looking into and are considering for the future.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
They could honestly just do something like make Cerys prevent opponent interaction with your GY while she is there. Would be a buff to Cerys and help Queensguard, or really Skellige in general.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Man I like Swim but he way overthinks a lot of plays and takes forever. Lifecoach 2.0

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

Expect lots of monster and weather on ranked today

swim and noxious are both trying out monster decks on their streams today

I beat Noxious so hard with jj's nilf list that he ragequit the whole stream, haha.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Somebody noticed that in the stream Impera Enforcers were changed to look at the top CARD in your deck now, not unit. So RIP Spellgaard.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

RatHat posted:

Somebody noticed that in the stream Impera Enforcers were changed to look at the top CARD in your deck now, not unit. So RIP Spellgaard.

Stefan Skellen's back on the menu, boys

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ Nah I don't think that's good enough. It's very inconsistent and Spellgaard can't really afford to give up a Gold slot.

That was what, 3-4 days between Spellgaard becoming popular and it getting nerfed?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Was gonna craft Skellige, but now it's almost definitely gonna be Dagon Control + Woodland Spirit.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Finally made it to level 10 and it put me at rank 4 :shobon:. Managed to win my first ranked game too! Was up 40+ points in the second round and he played Henselt and summoned 3 reaver hunters & ves for a 40+ point jump, forcing me to play all but 1 of my cards into round 3. Managed to claw out the win with a clutch Katakan mulligan and ate a 12 power bear.

Is there anything I can add/remove from my deck that's going to help with the general utility? The thing that most annoys me is probably NG vicovaro cards which Is why I put those griffin in there to move the bullshit 10 boost spy out of my graveyard. Still don't know a good way of dealing with rot tossers other than attempting to decoy them to their side (to which they always get decoyed back) or locking them with cleaver which leaves me down a lock for a more important card.

I tend to always lose round 1 early too. I opt to pass when I'm behind and I'd have to play a large portion of my hand to attempt to win round 1 or I'll pass when I'm ahead and have card advantage forcing them to play one putting me in a better position for round 2.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Re: when to pass round 1, that's a start, but you'll also have to learn what deck you are facing. Fortunately right now you can tell a lot just from leader choice, where Henselt = Reavers, Eithne = spells and big Protectors, etc. A video I watched a ways back from Merchant (a Gwent streamer) covered the topic, and he said that a big part of knowing when to pass was to figure out the cards the opponent has in their hand by knowing the metagame, and whittling them down to fewer cards than they need for their big plays, so they have to choose either to lose the round or break up their combo pieces to keep fighting. This is a big reason why Reaver Hunters is a pain in the butt, because they can go all the way down to 1 card in hand in Round 2 and still poo poo out a ton of power by just going Reaver -> Henselt Round 3, and why the open beta universal mulligan change has made Crones a much more viable keep on turn 3. 20+ power in one silver card can trump being down a card going into Round 3.

Knowing when to pass, and knowing how hard to push, are basically The Skills To Learn in Gwent. Making your opponent make hard decisions and use their reactionary tools inefficiently is something that is both very important and hard to master.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 7, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

gently caress I wanna buy more packs now just for the double up on scrap from waiting to mill cards + milling nerfed cards

What have you done CDPR

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

For once being an OCD weirdo was worth it, milling cards unlikely to be changed like Adrenaline Rush and Alzur's Thunder and leaving all those queensguard unmilled.

Side note, the closest I'm going to come to truly competitive gwent is needing 3 more wins for the 6 round bonus 15 minutes before the deadline. That's high stakes.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I do kinda wish the reset was closer to midnight for us amerifats. It would be around 4-6 AM for most of Europe so it's still during an out of the way time, but it'd be way less inconvenient compared to now when I'm home, finished with dinner, and need to wait 20 minutes for OPTIMAL GWENT REWARD PLAYTIME.

Aussies can get hosed yall probably just desync all the time anyways :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I think people are underestimating NG nerfs.

Between the golems, Calveit, Vicovaro Novice and Peter they're down about 12 points before turn 3. I doubt Tibor will be unplayable at 8 but it's another small nerf to their third round bomb. This is not a small issue for a deck that usually tries to win round 1 without spending any of their big bombs. Buffs to monsters also create more problems for NG because they usually stack the front row with the Imperas and Golems.

Not sure gold weather nerfs will immediately make them unplayable. Maybe. Maybe not. People were saying RnR/Drought would still be strong at 2 damage as recently as last week.

Skellige is still alive because their overall card quality is fantastic, they'll just need new decks. Also lol if people still ran Queensguard: it was also already terrible and borderline unplayable.