Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Ruggan posted:

I also liked The Terror despite it having some supernatural components. It's a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror to the Arctic, in 1845–1848, to force the Northwest Passage. Really it's the historical first half that shines - the part of the expedition before the ships disappeared with no trace. Nobody knows what happened after a certain point.

https://www.amazon.com/Terror-Novel-Dan-Simmons/dp/0316008079

Whaaaaat this is so up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation!

I will add to the suggestions of Touching The Void. Good god. It's basically a thriller lol.

For books, while we're on the subject of nature being a big scary dick, I recently read Deep Down Dark about that huge Chilean mine collapse in 2010, and it's really good. I had no idea mining was so terrifying. I mean, I knew it was dangerous, obvioualy, but it really gives you insight into what happened and how awful it must have been to be down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Been away for a while. Family court is a bitch. :( Anyone know how many dead since I last posted (a week or so?)

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
John Krakaur has written some great stuff, apart from the Everest Book and Into the wild. "Eiger Dreams" is a collection of his short writing, including a description of being storm-bound on Denali for some improbable length of time, like two weeks or something. Trapped in a tent with freezing rain being blown sideways through the walls with his feet in a backpack as the only way to keep them warm and everything covered in mashed damp fig newtons, it's awesome.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

If I die at the tippy top of Everest then it becomes taller and all the world records reset creating a new era of Everest climbing fever

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

yaffle posted:

John Krakaur has written some great stuff, apart from the Everest Book and Into the wild. "Eiger Dreams" is a collection of his short writing, including a description of being storm-bound on Denali for some improbable length of time, like two weeks or something. Trapped in a tent with freezing rain being blown sideways through the walls with his feet in a backpack as the only way to keep them warm and everything covered in mashed damp fig newtons, it's awesome.

Eiger Dreams is one of my favorite mountaineering books. Jim Wickwire's "Addicted to Danger" and "Nanda Devi" by John Roskelly are also amazing if you are interested in reading about the downside of super driven people thrown together on expeditions.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

a cyberpunk goose posted:

If I die at the tippy top of Everest then it becomes taller and all the world records reset creating a new era of Everest climbing fever

Bonus points if you freeze yourself grabbing your junk at China while doing the metal horns gesture, and figure out a way to anchor yourself there such that it's too much effort to remove you.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

China would blow you up if they couldn't move you if you did that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Bonus points if you freeze yourself grabbing your junk at China while doing the metal horns gesture, and figure out a way to anchor yourself there such that it's too much effort to remove you.

EngineerJoe posted:

China would blow you up if they couldn't move you if you did that.

Eat a bag of FREE TIBET confetti

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Wasabi the J posted:

Eat a bag of FREE TIBET confetti

Everest is only about half as high as fighter jets go. They could blow up the confetti.

That's so much cooler than the other name for it. I'll give "Everest" a pass because the proper name the locals call it is kinda hard to pronounce. But Denali is a perfectly serviceable badass-sounding name for a mountain, even though it is just the native word for "big mountain." To be fair, that's a pretty good name when the closest bigger mountain is on another continent. When the Russians owned it, they called it "Большая Гора" and I doubt you need a Russian scholar to know what that means.

... which brings us back to discussing K2's name I guess, a rock so forsaken by God and Man alike that it has no name aside from being "second peak on the Karakoram ridge as seen from a mountain that is actually climbable."

I get why people would want to summit Everest. Tallest mountain, bragging rights, etc.. K2 though? The second-highest mountain only earns bragging rights with a relatively small group of people who are arguably legally insane.

I've done my share of bouldering and falling on a rope -- climbing down here where you can actually breathe is quite fun and everybody should try it -- but I'll enjoy my jaunts to 30k feet in a pressurized cabin with a glass of whisky in my hand, thanks.

Edit:

Fosco Maraini posted:

... just the bare bones of a name, all rock and ice and storm and abyss. It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars. It has the nakedness of the world before the first man – or of the cindered planet after the last.
Should've sent a poet. Oh wait, they did. :v:

The Appalachians were once mighty, and have been worn down to relative molehills; the Rockies are halfway there. K2 is eternal.

This mountain, on the other hand, will die along with our species.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 5, 2017

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Not sure if this is thread-worthy, but still pretty badass: Alex Honnold climbs El Capitan without a rope

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

luminalflux posted:

Not sure if this is thread-worthy, but still pretty badass: Alex Honnold climbs El Capitan without a rope

Yeah, I think it's worthy.

Edit: the other side is just a mildly strenuous hike. But, um, gently caress the side he went up.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 5, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
I'm undecided if that's bad rear end or just really dumb

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Levitate posted:

Save this for next year's thread title.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Can't wait for that National Geographic video of his climb. I've always found this kind of no-rope climbing stuff insane, stupid, but admittedly also pretty cool.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It makes for pretty awesome videos. He will most definitely fall off a rock and die someday though.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Levitate posted:

Yes.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

PostNouveau posted:

It makes for pretty awesome videos. He will most definitely fall off a rock and die someday though.

Then that video, too, will be awesome in the "oh god how terrible" sort of way

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I wonder if he tells Yosemite he's going to do it without ropes when he gets a permit for it (I assume you need a permit to climb) and if they actually OK'd it

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

This interview with Honnold is kinda fun. Especially the bit where they ask him "So what are you gonna do after you've free-solo'd El Cap"
"Eat lunch and then hang board" "
"A normal person would probably take the afternoon off after they free-soloed El Cap."
"But I’ve been trying to hang board every other day, and it’s the other day."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He's going to end up like that other guy who liked free soloing things. Though he died doing whatever it's called where you jump off a cliff with a normal rope. He decided to do it with the rope that was tied there from the last season and it snapped and he fell to his death.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

luminalflux posted:

This interview with Honnold is kinda fun. Especially the bit where they ask him "So what are you gonna do after you've free-solo'd El Cap"
"Eat lunch and then hang board" "
"A normal person would probably take the afternoon off after they free-soloed El Cap."
"But I’ve been trying to hang board every other day, and it’s the other day."

Honestly, I really respect that place where the truly capable transcend their fear through discipline and training. There's always the footnote where if these people continue at this level of performance they eventually die when their body passes its peak and they don't recognise it, but a free solo is probably far more in control than a wing suit or base jumper in terms of being able to control their risk.

I think that's really down to the character of the person though, a willingness to self reflect. Compare it to wingsuit guy whose name I've forgotten, who simultaneously says he's gonna stop jumping for his family whilst planning his Everest Jump and rattling off a list of his mates who've died wingsuiting. Will he ever actually stop? Even when reasons to stop are staring him in the face, will he ever recognise them?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Levitate posted:

I wonder if he tells Yosemite he's going to do it without ropes when he gets a permit for it (I assume you need a permit to climb) and if they actually OK'd it

You need a permit to sleep in Yosemite, but no permits required to climb.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Maluco Marinero posted:

Honestly, I really respect that place where the truly capable transcend their fear through discipline and training. There's always the footnote where if these people continue at this level of performance they eventually die when their body passes its peak and they don't recognise it, but a free solo is probably far more in control than a wing suit or base jumper in terms of being able to control their risk.

I think that's really down to the character of the person though, a willingness to self reflect. Compare it to wingsuit guy whose name I've forgotten, who simultaneously says he's gonna stop jumping for his family whilst planning his Everest Jump and rattling off a list of his mates who've died wingsuiting. Will he ever actually stop? Even when reasons to stop are staring him in the face, will he ever recognise them?
What seems to make him unique is that he doesn't seem to be an adrenaline junkie, unlike pretty much every other famous free soloer. He instead seems to be driven by some kind of all consuming desire to improve and then prove himself, and I certainly hope that when his physical skills start to degrade that he finds other ways to fulfill that drive, or else the result is gonna be pretty much the same. He's gonna do something insane and a string of bad luck is gonna get him killed. I sincerely hope not though, he seems like a good guy.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
The description of that pitch where he's climbing with nothing but the friction of his shoes against a steep smooth surface and needing to maintain velocity going up because there are absolutely no cracks for holds and if he stops he's just gonna slide off is quite :catstare:

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
From what I've read, Honnold doesn't even really free solo that often and he's definitely not an adrenaline junkie like so many that have died before him. I recall an interview where he says that if he feels any adrenaline while free soloing, it means something has gone horribly wrong. I get the impression that he's probably done free soloing after El Cap, it was literally his life's work.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

BobHoward posted:

The description of that pitch where he's climbing with nothing but the friction of his shoes against a steep smooth surface and needing to maintain velocity going up because there are absolutely no cracks for holds and if he stops he's just gonna slide off is quite :catstare:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Seeing the pictures of him free soloing makes me want to throw up. I went to a rock climbing gym a couple times, went up 10 feet and thought "poo poo, how do I get out of this?" I can't imagine being a couple thousand feet up and thinking "maybe I shouldn't be doing this" as I'm sprinting up a glass slope.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I spent half a decade doing casual rock climbing and if that's taught me anything - besides that i suck at more technical routes where stopping and losing momentum is a very bad idea - it is that if you have the feeling of "maybe i shouldn't be doing this" it (and hopefully you) won't ever in a position even close to a thousand feet up.
Either because you've learned your abilities and limits over decades and have full - or a justified lack of - confidence in your actions (not that that makes you impervious to other accidents).
Or because you've already hosed up, ignored that doubt, and fallen to grievous injury or worse years before you get to that point - though there are some that won't let this stop them.

Of course i can't speak to how any of that translates to the mindset of someone doing free-climbing, so imagining yourself in that situation is still a fun mental exercise.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

Seeing the pictures of him free soloing makes me want to throw up. I went to a rock climbing gym a couple times, went up 10 feet and thought "poo poo, how do I get out of this?" I can't imagine being a couple thousand feet up and thinking "maybe I shouldn't be doing this" as I'm sprinting up a glass slope.

A Spider Covets posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

marsisol posted:

From what I've read, Honnold doesn't even really free solo that often and he's definitely not an adrenaline junkie like so many that have died before him. I recall an interview where he says that if he feels any adrenaline while free soloing, it means something has gone horribly wrong. I get the impression that he's probably done free soloing after El Cap, it was literally his life's work.

Somebody gave him an MRI test, and the part of his brain that should be creating fear response isn't working correctly. Either he trained it away or it never worked right to begin with.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

BobHoward posted:

the sticky rubber on climbing shoes is amazing stuff. not that I'd want it to be the only thing I'm relying on to keep myself from falling thousands of feet

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Geez, that's harrowing. Let's turn that frown upside down.

See? all better now.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 6, 2017

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaoYSiNDnI0

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

lmbo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

People like Honnold (I don't know about him particularly, but people like him) are operating on the false "gut feel" that if bad luck hasn't killed them after a hundred or two hundred or five hundred climbs, then the risk must be relatively low. Because humans are terrible at evaluating and "feeling" the difference between, say, a 1/500 chance of a terrible thing happening and a 1/50000 chance of a terrible thing happening, even though the former is a hundred times more likely than the latter, and likely enough that in a decade or two of climbing with 1/500 odds of bad luck killing you on every climb... bad luck is projected to probably kill you.

Declining strength/skill/mental acuity just increases those odds, but the risk was always there, and critically it was always way way higher than the risk of dying by (say) bicycling on public roads, or even skydiving or alpine off-piste skiing or various other adrenaline-junkie sports.

I hope Honnold finds it very rewarding and I hope he hasn't got any family or kids depending on his survival for their happiness and wellbeing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Old, bold climbers.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

http://m.nautil.us/issue/39/sport/the-strange-brain-of-the-worlds-greatest-solo-climber

I read through this yesterday, it's got some nice insight on how his brain is unusual even amongst other thrill seekers. Worth a read to learn about him before throwing out statements about how "those people" act

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I mean sure he's not an adrenaline junky but he's still someone who gets his fun by pushing the limits more and more so the line doesn't seem that far away

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Saw 'Everest' was on Netflix and watched it. Pretty interesting movie.

Afterwards I read about the 1996 disaster a bit and stumbled onto this:

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2017/05/27/everest-2017-weekend-update-may-27/

Which contains the quote: "Also under the leadership of 7 Summits Club Director, Alexander Abramov, they covered up some of the many visible dead bodies on the north side including Tsewang Paljor aka “Green Boots”, which I thought had already been moved by the Chinese:"

So apparently our friend Paljor is still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

uXs posted:

Saw 'Everest' was on Netflix and watched it. Pretty interesting movie.

Afterwards I read about the 1996 disaster a bit and stumbled onto this:

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2017/05/27/everest-2017-weekend-update-may-27/

Which contains the quote: "Also under the leadership of 7 Summits Club Director, Alexander Abramov, they covered up some of the many visible dead bodies on the north side including Tsewang Paljor aka “Green Boots”, which I thought had already been moved by the Chinese:"

So apparently our friend Paljor is still there.

quote:

update: 7 Summits Club told me that just said that for the press and didn’t cover Paljor’s body … “I think it’s not worth mentioning. Maybe they put a couple of stones. These words were more for the press to show it’s done more than one action. In reality they covered only one Marko.”