Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
re: learning

TBH the hardest part is getting to the point where you've got the mechanics and moves internalized enough so that you can really learn from getting your rear end beat. I'm not there yet with Tekken, but I went through the same process when I was learning Xrd from scratch as my first fighting game. It's like there's the two stages of learning. In the first one, you're learning all your options and internalizing what button does what and how to use it. But when you're in the thick of things if you're trying to remember what button does what and what mechanic does what, you're opponent's already two moves ahead of you by the time you you remember how to respond and you're way too late and get hosed up.

The second stage is when you've actually got the mechanics and execution down a bit and then can really focus on responding to the other guy. That's when things get real fun. When you're at this point, you can get your rear end beat but you see a lot more options open up, feel less overwhelmed and can see the openings that you're missing instead of feeling hopeless.

I guess it's kind of a division between proactive and reactive learning. Reactive reactions and responses is where the bulk of the strategy comes from, but until you have the ability and knowledge to execute proactively you're not gonna be able to respond to other players very well.

Of course, how do you get that kind of reaction time and internalised character knowledge? By playing matches and and likely getting your rear end beat (along with training punishes/learning your moves), because you need the variety and speed of situations they put you in to force your brain into remembering how to respond instantly instead of going "uhhhhh d/f 2 I guess". It kinda sucks, but you have to change your expectations around a bit and just try to take little pieces away from each match. Don't worry about winning. Worry about whiff punishing, or setting up your launcher, or blocking better, or just doing one thing slightly better than you did in your last match.

And then at sometime, there's not gonna be a magic switch or anything, but you'll get to a point where you realize that you've internalized enough tools and responses that you can really start thinking through matches without worrying about execution and knowledge, and that's when things get really interesting.

Anyways, I don't want to sound too much like I'm saying "you gotta learn the not fun stuff before you learn the fun stuff". Learning to enjoy the process of learning is one of the best things you can do to not burn yourself out. It's a game, it can all be fun. But in some ways you gotta adjust your expectations knowing that until you've grasped a bunch of basic components first (that aren't exactly trivial, especially if you're just starting out) it's pretty hard to put it all together into the big picture.

Or I mean, it's Tekken, you can pound some beers and invite your friends over who don't play fighting games and all press buttons together and still have a good time because it's a pretty good game for that.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
learning is easy just play and remember what you suck at while you play. then work on that stuff in steps. but you gotta play

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Are there any straight up bad characters in 7? I'm still getting a feel for tekken in general and want to try a few more characters out before focusing on one in particular, but are there any that are bad enough to just avoid in general?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

zelah posted:

Are there any straight up bad characters in 7? I'm still getting a feel for tekken in general and want to try a few more characters out before focusing on one in particular, but are there any that are bad enough to just avoid in general?

probably the bears

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I have seen zero Jack-7's in quick and ranked matches at my level of play. But that might just mean he's really good and I'm really bad with him so :shrug:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

attackmole posted:

re: learning

TBH the hardest part is getting to the point where you've got the mechanics and moves internalized enough so that you can really learn from getting your rear end beat. I'm not there yet with Tekken, but I went through the same process when I was learning Xrd from scratch as my first fighting game. It's like there's the two stages of learning. In the first one, you're learning all your options and internalizing what button does what and how to use it. But when you're in the thick of things if you're trying to remember what button does what and what mechanic does what, you're opponent's already two moves ahead of you by the time you you remember how to respond and you're way too late and get hosed up.
Well put! I'm still at the stage where every match is very overwhelming, so it can be hard to pick out and remember what I did/didn't do wrong since it's a bit of a sensory overload (and I'm struggling to pres botan correctly). That's also why I think...

Zand posted:

learning is easy just play and remember what you suck at while you play. then work on that stuff in steps. but you gotta play
...is simplifying things a bit much. Remembering what you suck at doesn't help that much when the answer to it is "literally everything" :v: The rest is completely true though, playing is the only way to improve. Good matchmaking helps a lot though, it's far easier to actually learn something at this early phase when fighting someone around (or slightly above) your own skill level rather than getting clowned on by someone far more experienced. Getting beaten is a good learning opportunity, getting absolutely crushed is just frustrating.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Langosta Whiteman posted:

I have seen zero Jack-7's in quick and ranked matches at my level of play. But that might just mean he's really good and I'm really bad with him so :shrug:

You are required by law to play Jack if you live in Atlanta, so there's a bunch of guys who play him and he seems perfectly fine

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The grand finals at combo breaker had a Jack in it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

zelah posted:

It probably won't matter for you but Gigas and Lucky Chloe are probably the worst characters.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The grand finals at combo breaker had a Jack in it.

That was Saint, he also won Evo (and many other tournaments) with Jack last year.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

The only characters I hear not much good about are Gigas and Chloe. Everyone's viable while you're learning though, play who feels good.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
probably don't play Hwoarang if you're new, also you'll hit an early wall with Mishimas if you can't easily do EWGFs

note: I am not an expert on Tekken in any capacity

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dj Meow Mix posted:

She's not too bad. The video is all of her fundamentals, the rest is just putting it together. Lots of string based offense kinda like Asuka.
Strings :arghfist::(
I looked at her movelist and there's so many strings and they're all so fast. It's like playing a turbo battle!

Brosnan posted:

It probably won't matter for you but Gigas and Lucky Chloe are probably the worst characters.
I thought Chloe was considered good, what changed? Or rather, what makes her that bad?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

I'm real into the Kazumi and her tiger summoning so it's good to hear I'm not wasting time. Thanks!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Ok, so my Soul Calibur-playing group has been starved for fighting games for years now and a couple of us have been looking at Tekken 7. I can personally tell there's a lot that I dislike about it (art/audio style in particular), but mechanically how does the system and character design compare? I've never touched a Tekken game in my life.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
If you like SC and you do not like Tekken, i'd be surprised and curious as to why. Get it!

SC had its ABK and tekken still has the backbone attacks like that with stuff like 1,2 and 4. d+1 is 2A for almost everybody, d+4 is good ol 2K.

You're not gonna have your parries, but there is a universal low parry if you hit df.

You got your high and low crushes still, which vary in tekken as much as sc could've.

Weird characters like Maxi go to Eddy pretty well, Voldo to backturn shenanigans from Raven or maybe Xiaoyu. Standard Mitsu in Paul or Kazuya.

just mute the music and have fun with your dudes in this

I hate most of the stupid costumes, i play mostly with the basic outfits lol.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

quote:

...is simplifying things a bit much. Remembering what you suck at doesn't help that much when the answer to it is "literally everything" :v:
no. you're making it too complicated. if you suck at everything pick one of those things and focus or learn. if you play a match and the only thing you can get out of it is "I suck at everything" you need to take a step back and not be so defeatist

a lot of learning is reactive, and a lot of learning is proactive. some is subconscious but the good poo poo is conscious. be a proactive and mindful learner and you'll come up with something more constructive for yourself than "I suck at everything"

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Hasnt worked for life in general

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Corbeau posted:

I can personally tell there's a lot that I dislike about it (art/audio style in particular)

yo mamma a Horus posted:

I hate most of the stupid costumes, i play mostly with the basic outfits lol.

Some of you are irredeemable

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
yo check out my goon bob or my dude with gimp straps

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I would like the stupid costumes more if there were more weird and/or character-specific ones and less t-shirts and jeans

I have no opinion on having random stuff strapped to your back or hands

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zand posted:

if you suck at everything pick one of those things and focus or learn.

This bit is extremely important. When an online match pops, think to yourself "I am going to do thing x" then try to focus on doing that thing.

Your Computer posted:

Strings :arghfist::(
I looked at her movelist and there's so many strings and they're all so fast. It's like playing a turbo battle!

You can ignore most of those and just focus on pokes and blocking + punishing with her, she has a bunch of really good tools for that.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
My official Kazumi strategy: f2, ff2, fff2, maybe some f(1+2)

Kazumi gotta mean right hook

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Best thing I've made so far:

https://twitter.com/crofts/status/871816683228454913

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I spam db4 or db3 until they block and try to punish it and then do df2 into a juggle combo

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
What's the deal with the Tekken God Prime rank? I just hit True Tekken God on offline, but I'd like to know just how much grinding those 65 dan ranks equate to. Is it just a random number to look awesome or does it actually require a stupid amount of wins?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zand posted:

no. you're making it too complicated. if you suck at everything pick one of those things and focus or learn. if you play a match and the only thing you can get out of it is "I suck at everything" you need to take a step back and not be so defeatist

a lot of learning is reactive, and a lot of learning is proactive. some is subconscious but the good poo poo is conscious. be a proactive and mindful learner and you'll come up with something more constructive for yourself than "I suck at everything"
I might've exaggerated a bit, didn't mean to sound defeatist. :v: My point was just that it can be really hard to understand what exactly you're being bad at when you don't even understand what's going on. And if you can't understand what you're doing wrong, it's hard to pick a thing to improve upon. That's why I said "everything". Especially if you're fighting against someone much better than you, everything happens so quickly and you'll find yourself thinking "what the hell just happened" after the match instead of learning anything.

Arzachel posted:

You can ignore most of those and just focus on pokes and blocking + punishing with her, she has a bunch of really good tools for that.

You got my attention. Best pokes/punishers?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

WTF do they put in the water in Texas? This guy is hella whack.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Lee is a straight boss but my execution is still kind of crummy from playing less strict fighting games. Am I wasting my time until I can consistently do his just frames and punch mist step loops, or is he still playable without them?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I might've exaggerated a bit, didn't mean to sound defeatist. :v: My point was just that it can be really hard to understand what exactly you're being bad at when you don't even understand what's going on. And if you can't understand what you're doing wrong, it's hard to pick a thing to improve upon. That's why I said "everything". Especially if you're fighting against someone much better than you, everything happens so quickly and you'll find yourself thinking "what the hell just happened" after the match instead of learning anything.

You got my attention. Best pokes/punishers?

1,2 is the standard jab string, 3 is a decently ranged i13 mid to keep the opponent standing, d4 is a quick low that's only punishable by crouch jab, maybe throw in ff4 for a homing mid if you're feeling fancy.

1,2,2 is a great i10 punish that leaves you +9 on hit (-13 on block), letting you frame trap with f3+4 which launches on ch (f2,3,4 S! f2,3,4).
f1+2 is a standing i14 punish and whiff punish that has great range and has a guaranteed d3+4 follow up for 39 damage.
d/f2 launches, has great range and is only -13 on block, either do the combo shown in josie_bot's video or f1+2 4 f2,3,4 S! f2,3,4 which is not much harder for 10 extra damage. You can use these for the hopkick too.
WS2,1 is a i13 crouch launcher but the combo is pretty tough. Can just do a d3+4 follow up for guaranteed damage.

Just poke at them, punish dumb stuff and focus on defense mostly

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

A few relatively easy juggle combos do about 55 damage, but df2, df2 does about 44 and feels real good. Plus you get to see the tiger twice!

zelah fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 6, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Beat all of the character chapters. Most were just bunk with nothing endings but a few were decent. Lucky Chloe's was probably my favorite as it actually contained jokes and not just nonsense.

Also spent some time with Bob and he seems cool and fun to play with.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Arzachel posted:

1,2 is the standard jab string, 3 is a decently ranged i13 mid to keep the opponent standing, d4 is a quick low that's only punishable by crouch jab, maybe throw in ff4 for a homing mid if you're feeling fancy.

1,2,2 is a great i10 punish that leaves you +9 on hit (-13 on block), letting you frame trap with f3+4 which launches on ch (f2,3,4 S! f2,3,4).
f1+2 is a standing i14 punish and whiff punish that has great range and has a guaranteed d3+4 follow up for 39 damage.
d/f2 launches, has great range and is only -13 on block, either do the combo shown in josie_bot's video or f1+2 4 f2,3,4 S! f2,3,4 which is not much harder for 10 extra damage. You can use these for the hopkick too.
WS2,1 is a i13 crouch launcher but the combo is pretty tough. Can just do a d3+4 follow up for guaranteed damage.

Just poke at them, punish dumb stuff and focus on defense mostly
Josie is awesome and has such satisfying screws, so fun to play.

You can also do any launcher into

f3, 4, f2,3,4 S! Dash forward f2,3,4 for pretty solid wall carry and damage and it's really easy. If they hit the wall go for B4,3,4 for a really solid chunk of damage

F3 picks up off the ground really low on most characters, I haven't actually tried it on ws2,1 though.

If you land a f1+2 you can get a really easy combo by doing a dash then d/f1,4,2. The key here is that the dash is interrupted by the d/f so the input is basically ff~d/f1

If you're feeling saucy on bigger characters you can do f1+2, f3, f2,3,4 into one of the enders as well

Also standard disclaimer I'm pretty dang bad. I need to practice neutral strings and stuff for once

fnox
May 19, 2013

Mini Akumer guide for someone coming from SF:

• Raging Demon works differently than in SF, it can be comboed into with jab. The input shortcuts work, but none of the buffering tricks you could use to mask the input in SF4 do.
  • Forget about air fireballs, you can't use them as mixup tools because of sidesteps.
  • Poking with fireballs also are less punishing because of sidestepping.
  • Fireballs hit grounded enemies, use it as a closer.
  • DP and fireball shortcuts don't exist, you must do the full motion.
  • DP isn't invincible, don't use it on wakeup.
  • FADC works basically like it does in SF4, you just have to get used to doing it with the 1,2 buttons rather than 2,4 like it would be in a SF stick. It can be used to make things safe just like SF4.
  • 1,1 is a safe target combo that chains neatly into qcb+3 or DP.
  • 1,2 is also a safe target combo that can counterhit nearly everything but doesn't combo into anything without a wall.
  • df3 is your old s.MK and is as effective of a poke tool as that was.
  • poo poo like c.LK, qcb + LK, DP + LP, FADC exists and works exactly like it should (It's d3, qcb + 3, DP + 1, 12 ~ ff in here). Follow up with 4,3 and a fireball for a lot of damage that is easy to pull off.
  • fff 3 is like a neutral jump divekick that fucks with people's timing and can go over lows.
  • Demon Flip mixups are basically the same as always, you actually have more options now since every button is a different action. Watch out for sidesteps. Can't really get much off a whiffed one like in USF4.
  • Can't Korean Backdash? Use DP+34 instead.
  • 1 into Fireball FADC is an interesting yet pretty complicated opener that is safe and leads into a lot of options.
  • There's no crossups in this game, don't even think about it.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I should note here that in trying to learn any kind of response against something that is just wrecking you, Training Mode is absolutely your friend. Not only can you set the CPU dummy to cycle randomly through one to five moves, you can also adjust the timing, and on a successful punish the game actually tells you if it was legit (look for the "Punish" text in attack data).

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Zand posted:

Yeah, sometimes it's just a matter of focusing on one thing in a match. Maybe today I try a new character in IJ2* and drop every combo, forget half my moves and gently caress up blocking stuff that I normally have no problem with, but hey, if I stuff every single jump-in my opponent makes I've improved at something.

*still gotta buy this, but I'm not sure I want to be terrible at two of these games at once

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Eliza apparently has a divekick infinite: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OQuNjHpcIA8

I'm not home to test it but scanning the youtube comments it seems legit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FallenGod posted:

Yeah, sometimes it's just a matter of focusing on one thing in a match. Maybe today I try a new character in IJ2* and drop every combo, forget half my moves and gently caress up blocking stuff that I normally have no problem with, but hey, if I stuff every single jump-in my opponent makes I've improved at something.

*still gotta buy this, but I'm not sure I want to be terrible at two of these games at once

I am doing this. I am still spending more time in Injustice 2 but am putting some time into Tekken every day or so.

Any Lili players? What are the hot strats and tactics? I have gotten as far as "Dress her up like Karin"

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Just-frame EWGF might be the only reason I want to learn Kazuya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Is Jin playable if you can't reliably EWHF on a pad

Because that's where I am