Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

I'll be honest, my eyes glazed over when I saw someone posting Britney Spears Twitter posts in what appeared to be an argument about the definition of throwing shade, which I hope you'll forgive me for not thinking is an actual serious discussion. And only one vote since said Twitter post so if two votes are completely real, I can't tell which two.

So the answer is that you're making sweeping pronouncements without reading the thread good to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I just got an NPSL assignment :toot:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

as usual the entire scumteam has a combined total of five posts in this thread lol

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED

Pinterest Mom posted:

It is not.

If you got a boon that said "you can have a N1 doc, but you have to give up your ability to vote for one person in the game", you'd obviously take it, right?

Which person would you choose? Why?

It is though, because it was asked of me before there was any real content in this game.

It's a different question now. Tmm looks like town to me and I'd pick him if i had to pick someone.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Personally, ima consider kasumeat derp cleared

GulagDolls posted:

as usual the entire scumteam has a combined total of five posts in this thread lol

Well it was nice of circmaster to scumclaim in any case

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Jamuraan, J.D. in Critical Reasoning and Logic
Ask me about how good I am at party games! Please god ask me about how good I am at party games!

Kasumeat posted:

##vote Jamuraan
Come play then

Sorry I was sleeping all day. I'm here and I'm town so don't worry about me =)

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Pinterest Mom posted:

derp cleared

:negative:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jamuraan posted:

That sounds exactly like something scum would say! :raise:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yeah. only scum slep

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
yeah? well, i'm going to sleep... right now!!!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jamuraan posted:

Can your catchphrase please be "you just got jammed" ?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

Well it was nice of circmaster to scumclaim in any case

Fine, kill me now. I don't care. This is why I don't sign up for this sort of game, heaven loving forbid I not know what's going on.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CirclMastr posted:

Fine, kill me now. I don't care. This is why I don't sign up for this sort of game, heaven loving forbid I not know what's going on.

That's not the point, the point is you don't even seem to be trying. You came into the thread and basically said you didn't even bother to read it because it's D1 and you think D1 is stupid.

But here's the problem with that kind of attitude: D1 lays the foundation for a lot of the following game play. Despite what you think, connections can be drawn from D1 conversation and when you don't participate, it doesn't make you look good.

Nobody is saying you have to be right. In fact, some of the fun of the game is being unknowingly wrong and defending your position because you believe it to be right. Just dive in, make some accusations and declarations. Don't just go 'Well, D1 sucks, so I'll just wait for D2" because if even two or three other people do the same thing then the game gets awfully boring.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CirclMaster is baby, no one cares that you don't know what's going on, go reread one page and pull some inferences from it, but don't force them, cuz you'll get strung up for that.

I'd vote Pinterest Mom rn, he's been posting a lot over the past couple pages but hasn't seemed to make many real statements or opinions, I feel like their content is hollow. ##vote PMom

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

CirclMastr posted:

heaven loving forbid I not know what's going on.

You would know what's going on if you'd read the thread :eng101: this is like playing a board game and texting through everyone else's turn, then getting in a huff when it gets back to you and people are annoyed that you asked "so what'd everyone do?"

The two serious votes TMM mentioned, I'm assuming, were Kasu on me and then me on Kasu. Those both happened before the whole discussion on shade that your eyes glazed over at.

My vote on Kasu was because they dodged the content game I asked them to participate in and severely overreacted to it. I found this to be a scum tell in the manner of The Synx Gambit, where you ask folks to say "I am scum" or "I am town" or similar, and people's reactions to it (being awkward, refusing, etc) can tip their hand as to their alignment

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Ask me about how good I am at party games! Please god ask me about how good I am at party games!

chaoslord posted:

Can your catchphrase please be "you just got jammed" ?

No, but you can use it if you want, I guess.

also real vote ##vote Tired Moritz

Newbie or whatever, all posts are garbage responses, pointless questions, or low-effort coasting.

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't have friends and I dont brag about my eternal loneliness 24/7

I bet you do have friends. Scummy friends.

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

CirclMastr posted:

Also this is super knee-jerky and over-reactionary. Why? No one is even voting for you and you're already swearing.

I cast a finger of suspicion at CirclMastr.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Jamuraan posted:

Newbie or whatever, all posts are garbage responses, pointless questions, or low-effort coasting.

I bet you do have friends. Scummy friends.

Uhh, but that is exactly how newbies play, no newbie is gonna be deftly navigating the content game and building moving cases on Day 1. Wouldn't you rather try and find someone you actually think is scum instead of "newbie or whatever?"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TM has 20 games

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

Uhh, but that is exactly how newbies play, no newbie is gonna be deftly navigating the content game and building moving cases on Day 1. Wouldn't you rather try and find someone you actually think is scum instead of "newbie or whatever?"

It's my professional opinion that newbies can also be scum. There are other newbies in the game that aren't resorting to low-effort posts and worthless questions.
Right now I'm putting the fire to Tired Moritz to try a little harder. I think Tired is actually scum which is why I'm voting him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Oh right I'm supposed to be playing in this one.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

chaoslord's content games scream "trying too hard" to me. I understand wanting to get things rolling but something about the repeated cracks at content game + giving responses to his own questions sets my gut off.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
So what I'm gathering is that information gathering in Mafia is like international diplomacy - make innocuous small talk, act hugely offended, and try to discern meaning behind vacuous words.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

CirclMaster is baby, no one cares that you don't know what's going on, go reread one page and pull some inferences from it, but don't force them, cuz you'll get strung up for that.

I'd vote Pinterest Mom rn, he's been posting a lot over the past couple pages but hasn't seemed to make many real statements or opinions, I feel like their content is hollow. ##vote PMom
This vote strikes me as very arbitrary. Is Pinterest Mom really a standout example of hollow content in a game still largely defined by the joke phase? I get the impression Sandwolf picked this reason for voting out of a hat, just to make sure he had a serious vote out.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Jamuraan posted:

Looks like standard joke phase posts to me.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

GulagDolls posted:

yeah. only scum slep

this is true

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I've had disturbed sleep lately, I can't be scum

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

The Ninth Layer posted:

chaoslord's content games scream "trying too hard" to me. I understand wanting to get things rolling but something about the repeated cracks at content game + giving responses to his own questions sets my gut off.

I feel like my repeated cracks at it led to the majority of posts this afternoon/evening. Content games should lead to content and I'm doubtful if I left it at just TMM that much would have happened. While it was definitely "trying too hard" in that it was forced (because content game by their very nature are a forced thing) I stand by it.

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

The Ninth Layer posted:

Looks like standard joke phase posts to me.

I think a little too standard.

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

chaoslord posted:

I feel like my repeated cracks at it led to the majority of posts this afternoon/evening. Content games should lead to content and I'm doubtful if I left it at just TMM that much would have happened. While it was definitely "trying too hard" in that it was forced (because content game by their very nature are a forced thing) I stand by it.

I feel like the entirety of the game thus far has been townies fighting with townies and scum lurking. One of the more prolific posters may be scum, but at this point of the game I really can't tell. I'm really glad for the interactions but it's hard to really draw any conclusions at this point.

Also note to thread: I'm about to lurk hardcore for the next 16 hours. ##unvote for now but know that I am definitely dropping my vote there when I come back to the thread baring any strong proof.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Kasumeat posted:

It's a different question now. Tmm looks like town to me and I'd pick him if i had to pick someone.

Just noticed the "why" got left out on this. Any particular reason on TMM or is it gut?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jamuraan posted:

I feel like the entirety of the game thus far has been townies fighting with townies and scum lurking. One of the more prolific posters may be scum, but at this point of the game I really can't tell. I'm really glad for the interactions but it's hard to really draw any conclusions at this point.

Also note to thread: I'm about to lurk hardcore for the next 16 hours. ##unvote for now but know that I am definitely dropping my vote there when I come back to the thread baring any strong proof.

Yeah, that's fair. My point was more of "Sure, maybe I did try too hard, but it got people posting and that was what I wanted to happen so I'm OK with that."

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

So I re-read everything and I still don't understand how anyone is making a content-based argument for who is scum.

My gut says Gulag is scum but my gut is dumb and bad. I'm just throwing out an accusation because I was told I ought to.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

The Ninth Layer posted:

This vote strikes me as very arbitrary. Is Pinterest Mom really a standout example of hollow content in a game still largely defined by the joke phase? I get the impression Sandwolf picked this reason for voting out of a hat, just to make sure he had a serious vote out.

It's Day 1, you could have voted me here, but instead you chose to kind of just drive by. Is it scummy or not? Would you vote for me based on that or not?

I don't think anyone gives a poo poo if they have a "serious vote" out on beginning of Day 1. I voted for PMom because it seemed they were posting a lot around people starting to create real content and weren't saying anything of value or even conviction themselves.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED

chaoslord posted:

Just noticed the "why" got left out on this. Any particular reason on TMM or is it gut?

His tone reads town to me and he's scumhunting. He may be wrong about me, but he's pushing his reads and asking a lot of the same questions I have.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CirclMastr posted:

So I re-read everything and I still don't understand how anyone is making a content-based argument for who is scum.

My gut says Gulag is scum but my gut is dumb and bad. I'm just throwing out an accusation because I was told I ought to.

And that's fine. You can go on gut feelings on D1 as long as you attribute them as such. The trick is to scratch the itch that made your gut feel this way and turn it into a real read. Maybe it's asking Gulag questions or just seeing how he responds to others.

Now how about the Chaos/Kasu votes? They are a pretty simple thing to get that provides content. Chaos started a content game and asked Kasu a question, the question didn't sit right with Kasu so he voted Chaos and Chaos felt the response wasn't right so he voted Kasu. That is content. How do you feel about that sequence of events? Do it feel natural to you? Does it make sense to you, even if you might not agree with it?

You don't need to make an alignment call in every single post, but you should be looking to explain your thinking about things that are said in the thread such as the Chaos/Kasu spat.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sandwolf posted:

It's Day 1, you could have voted me here, but instead you chose to kind of just drive by. Is it scummy or not? Would you vote for me based on that or not?

I don't think anyone gives a poo poo if they have a "serious vote" out on beginning of Day 1. I voted for PMom because it seemed they were posting a lot around people starting to create real content and weren't saying anything of value or even conviction themselves.

I actually care a whole lot about the proper use of shade please do not belittle my conviction.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Hey... I don't play that many games. Out of those 20 games, a decent bunch had me dying in D1/N1 or the game just died from inactivity. I'm still fresh of the boat.

And clearly I don't make enough joke posts in day 1 or people would know I love my self-depreciative comments.

But anyway, I think Chaoslord saying that he would pop me because he doesn't know how to read me/confused with TMM is kinda a lovely answer. I feel like I'm easy D1 bait since like I said, I always die in D1. Pushing me is ez mode.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

anyway my answer to the game is

TNL. I've pretty much developed the heuristic over the games I've played with him that when his reasoning and focus are in sync with mine, he's town, and when they're not, he's scum. I feel like my read on him will be stronger in three days than my read on anyone else could be.

this is really interesting. i wonder how many of us feel this way? for me it's jedit. i could always tell when jedit was stretching his/her logic in a way they were uncomfortable with.

Pinterest Mom posted:

For example:

https://twitter.com/britneyspears/status/615666740295532544

Shade. Iggy Azalea had, earlier in the week, called Britney out publicly, but, then, had also had her tour cancelled because of lack of ticket sales. This tweet doesn't refer to Iggy, and Britney can plausibly deny she was picking a fight with Iggy, even though she totally was.

Not shade. TMM cannot plausibly claim he doesn't want to shoot Ernie.

maybe i'm missing it because it's 1am and i'm skimming and i had a stupidly long work day, but getting into the nitty gritty of what the word shade means is pretty directionless

CirclMastr posted:

I'll be honest, my eyes glazed over when I saw someone posting Britney Spears Twitter posts in what appeared to be an argument about the definition of throwing shade, which I hope you'll forgive me for not thinking is an actual serious discussion. And only one vote since said Twitter post so if two votes are completely real, I can't tell which two.

circlmastr is town. unafraid to speak his mind in a confrontational way.

GulagDolls posted:

stop fishing for towntells

oops

Sandwolf posted:

this post is a little scummy to me because it feels like sand is ... not saying much? like circlmastr is complaining ... but he sees exactly what the complaint is in that pmom's post(s) were hollow??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

TMMadman posted:

Fair, I'm just on the border about it and I'd really like Ernie to come back an answer my earlier question about it and just post more.

Something about it when I first saw it struck me as overly aggressive, but I can't decide if I'm also just being overly sensitive.

i was kinda flavour claiming, those two posts were a combined bit

btw ... you'd shoot me but you wouldn't vote me?

• Locked thread