Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

stringball posted:

Isn't Yelp known to "extort" businesses by calling and asking them to setup some system to get the bsuiness noticed, and if they don't their "highly secret reccomendaton software" hide good reviews?

It's a weird urban legend that seems to run off hearsay and suspicion. Which makes sense, tbh. It's a closed system that runs on faith, and I know I'd abuse the gently caress out of that system with advertisements if I were in charge. If you're going to be endlessly accused of something, may as well profit from it.

But no, gaming Yelp ratings is more to do with bombarding it with more "genuine" accounts, a tactic which actually gets countered by advertising because it gives your account scrutiny.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's a long read but it comes down to "spam fake locations in maps for your business, drown out real businesses. Google half-heartedly hopes volunteers will police this"

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's a long read but it comes down to "spam fake locations in maps for your business, drown out real businesses. Google half-heartedly hopes volunteers will police this"
Google is just a small, scrappy startup and can't afford to pay even rock-bottom mechanical turk rates for a core part of their business.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Not exactly common, but reminded me of the strip search phone call scam - Humiliating scam led to mum and daughter licking Poundworld staff's feet after fake phone call.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

There was a pretty good film made about this subject (though not this case): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1971352/

It's really interesting to see how people respond to perceived authority, and if it's ratcheted up at just the right pace can be made to do all sorts of things.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Bogan King posted:

ACCC is (I'm assuming in this case) the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. We have relatively strong consumer rights here and they look after a bunch of that. In addition to that we have industry specific ombudsmen - such as telecommunications - where any hassle you have can be directed. Given that they do have a bit of teeth it is usually taken fairly seriously.

Yeah same in the UK. As much as energy, telecoms etc. are industries run by total fucksticks, there's a small degree of consumer power to fight things by going through their complaints structure and up to the regulator. I successfully did this with Vodafone, who repeatedly tried to tell me that although they agreed I didn't have a contract, I still had "an obligation to pay." When I pointed out that without a contract I had no reason to pay for anything, they resisted, right up to the point that I told them they could gently caress off and we'd speak to Ofgem about it. Funnily enough, the £50 I "owed" them disappeared - because going to the regulator costs the company £550, whatever the result of the complaint.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The one thing I do miss about living in the UK is the amount of consumer protection I got. In hindsight, it was nice of them to pity me for losing it by deciding they didn't want it going forward...

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Why on earth would you read yelp reviews? Just look at the pictures and pick a place based on that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bongwizzard posted:

Why on earth would you read yelp reviews? Just look at the pictures and pick a place based on that.

I'll admit that if I'm on vacation and having a great time, I'll check the 1* reviews on TripAdvisor or Yelp during a 5 minute down period just to laugh at the utter nonsense some people write, and think that matters.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'll admit that if I'm on vacation and having a great time, I'll check the 1* reviews on TripAdvisor or Yelp during a 5 minute down period just to laugh at the utter nonsense some people write, and think that matters.

Oh yea, my coworkers and I will send each other the one star reviews for the hotels we get stuck in, it can be funny as hell. But picking food by reading internet reviews seems like picking music based on youtube comments.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I looked up yelp reviews for a place I drove past called "motel hollywood" that looks like if there's any fake reviewers they'll put it down as a 2 or 3 instead of a 5.

One review has pictures of a room that was just full of broken TVs and the sheets with stained with probably-blood.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Oh yea, my coworkers and I will send each other the one star reviews for the hotels we get stuck in, it can be funny as hell. But picking food by reading internet reviews seems like picking music based on youtube comments.

On vacation it's a decent way of finding places that aren't chains and won't give you the runs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jyrraeth posted:

I looked up yelp reviews for a place I drove past called "motel hollywood" that looks like if there's any fake reviewers they'll put it down as a 2 or 3 instead of a 5.

One review has pictures of a room that was just full of broken TVs and the sheets with stained with probably-blood.

Sounds like the place to go for that authentic Hollywood experience to be honest.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

On vacation it's a decent way of finding places that aren't chains and won't give you the runs.

Well yea, I do that all the time, but I just look at the pictures of the food, the user reviews, like most opinions on the internet, are useless.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
That Poundworld one is amazing.

quote:

At 4.30pm a man purporting to be from a charity based in Cork, Ireland, called the store and told staff to close it for a team training exercise that would involve entering two members of the public into a competition

Seems legit.

quote:

"I started to think this was a scam and my mum then mentioned this to the staff and eventually we left saying if this was a prank we would want compensation. The manager asked to take my number and promised to let me know what happened," she said.
Naomi then received a call on her mobile from the prank caller. "The manager must have been contacted by him again and given him my number.
"He said to go back to the store and when you arrive, you have to knock on the door on your hands and knees. You have ten minutes left to win the money."
Naomi and her mother then returned as did as instructed and the ordeal continued for another half an hour. Eventually the manager of the store called the company's HR and was told to contact the police.

quote:

According to her daughter, Pamela who is 55 and has one arm, is horrified by the ordeal. "We are both too scared to go into pound world now. I had to go in again to get these special straws for the holiday because it was the only place where I could get them, and I had to go in with accompanied with other people because I was scared," Naomi said.

I know people can be made to do things by people supposedly in authority but everyone in this story sounds thick as pigshit. That said, £3,000 is a lot of money to some people so it's kind of sad how far they went with it (twice).

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 26, 2017

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
A family member returned from a vacation along the Spanish coast with a first hand report of a tourist scam. The hotel's courtyard had a bunch of lovely gambling games set up by local Moroccans, mostly with gigantic house edges, except this one catapult shooting a pingpong ball at a basket divided into 4 parts. Bet $1, get $5 if you win. Figuring themselves a math genius, they set out to give these idiot southerners a demonstration of their superior European probability calculation skills.

They don't even get as far as making the first bet before a fellow "player" yanks their wallet out of their hand and bolts.

Angry at having fallen for some incredibly simple subterfuge, they followed the advice of the onlookers aghast at the brazen theft in front of them and furiously call the Spanish police to demand the thief be brought to justice, which leads us to the most devious part of the scam,

the part where a second accomplice swipes their phone and runs off with that as well.

Sadly, the lesson they took from this was not "I'm an oblivious tool" but "all Muslims are criminals and we should shoot them all" :(

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Asehujiko posted:

... front of them and furiously call the Spanish police to demand the thief be brought to justice, which leads us to the most devious part of the scam,

the part where a second accomplice swipes their phone and runs off with that as well.

Sadly, the lesson they took from this was not "I'm an oblivious tool" but "all Muslims are criminals and we should shoot them all" :(

:lol: This is great, but it needs another step, maybe "oh no, take off your pants and wave them about to flag down a passing car."

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 1, 2017

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:lol: This is great, but it needs another step, maybe "oh no, take off your pants and wave them about to flag down a passing car."

please dont drunkshame

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That's the afterparty, actually.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

stringball posted:

Isn't Yelp known to "extort" businesses by calling and asking them to setup some system to get the bsuiness noticed, and if they don't their "highly secret reccomendaton software" hide good reviews?

Yes. They sign you up and then magically the good reviews start showing up. If you're not signed up, only negative reviews show. They got sued, but Yelp won. All our positive reviews would disappear until we signed. Now they stick.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

mostlygray posted:

Yes. They sign you up and then magically the good reviews start showing up. If you're not signed up, only negative reviews show. They got sued, but Yelp won. All our positive reviews would disappear until we signed. Now they stick.

Not calling you out or anything, but have you got a link to anything about this? I am interested in tje reasoning of the ruling.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Alternately, it's actually an obscure prank call artist giving you a hard time for no reason at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUkXn_4ZFJY&t=1510s

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

therobit posted:

Not calling you out or anything, but have you got a link to anything about this? I am interested in tje reasoning of the ruling.

It's not that hard to goggle for it:

http://www.investors.com/news/technology/yelp-wins-lawsuit-over-user-reviews/

They were sued for rearranging reviews and hiding postitive ones and they won. The court said that the businesses had no right to have positive reviews displayed.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Public Court of Santa Clara County ★★★★

Excellent staff, I always defend all my lawsuits here.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

mostlygray posted:

There's so much wrong with your claim but I'm really not surprised. Not going to bother reiterating my earlier posts, but trust me yelp would actually be a better platform if your claims were true.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Leviathan Song posted:

It's not that hard to goggle for it:

http://www.investors.com/news/technology/yelp-wins-lawsuit-over-user-reviews/

They were sued for rearranging reviews and hiding postitive ones and they won. The court said that the businesses had no right to have positive reviews displayed.

The Court ruling said they could do that, not that they were doing that.

Seriously, all that happens is your reviews get assessed by a real person. Obviously fake reviews get purged and reviews by single time reviewers get lowered. Plenty of small businesses advertise and have bad reviews, and plenty of non advertising businesses have pages of good reviews from active reviewers.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Edit: I posted in the wrong thread!

froward fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 13, 2017

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

froward posted:

Hey just posting to say I haven't kept up with the thread at all, but if there's anything you guys want me to edit into the op let me know via pm or irc.

I think it's great to have a shop talk thread but all the machining is very far over my head.

Even posting in the thread you meant to seems to be somewhat beyond your capabilities.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Even posting in the thread you meant to seems to be somewhat beyond your capabilities.

He's trying to scam us into thinking he's the Op. Don't fall for it!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I sent froward a pm and before I knew it he had my SIN and bank account info

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

froward posted:

Hey just posting to say I haven't kept up with the thread at all, but if there's anything you guys want me to edit into the op let me know via pm or irc.

I think it's great to have a shop talk thread but all the machining is very far over my head.

We have such fabulous opportunities to show you.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
With regards to providing links proving the Yelp thing has actually happened: http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/m/episodes/2014-2015/online-reviews-faking-it

CBC Marketplace did a piece a few years ago where they tested whether reviews on sites like Yelp and Google could be trusted. If I remember right, the verdict for every site they checked was "be careful, they might be buying fake positive reviews or being flooded with fake negative ones, it's best to actually read the reviews and see if you trust what they're saying".

I mostly remember it because I had an argument recently on r/legaladvice with someone who seemed convinced that Yelp would never post fake reviews and kept demanding I provide proof sufficient for the ever-shifting goalposts he had.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

tinytort posted:

With regards to providing links proving the Yelp thing has actually happened: http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/m/episodes/2014-2015/online-reviews-faking-it

CBC Marketplace did a piece a few years ago where they tested whether reviews on sites like Yelp and Google could be trusted. If I remember right, the verdict for every site they checked was "be careful, they might be buying fake positive reviews or being flooded with fake negative ones, it's best to actually read the reviews and see if you trust what they're saying".

I mostly remember it because I had an argument recently on r/legaladvice with someone who seemed convinced that Yelp would never post fake reviews and kept demanding I provide proof sufficient for the ever-shifting goalposts he had.

Not available in my region. But from what your synopsis is saying it contradicts your self confessed debate in the joke that is Reddit's legal advice subreddit. So, good job?

I've done work with "online image massage" services. Buying ads on yelp did little to a business's rating, if anything. Nominally it meant really fake reviews, both positive and negative, got cleared away. But using dozens of vetted and frequent reviewer accounts to give 4-5 star ratings spread out over weeks or months? That works fine. If yelp will write up fake reviews that'd be such a time saver.

Seriously, what is this thread's hard on for boogiemen? There are a lot of scams out there, but pretending an online review service is actively practicing extortion on millions of businesses is ridiculous.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tinytort posted:

Because they wouldn't, you loving idiot.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

PJOmega posted:

Not available in my region. But from what your synopsis is saying it contradicts your self confessed debate in the joke that is Reddit's legal advice subreddit. So, good job?

I've done work with "online image massage" services. Buying ads on yelp did little to a business's rating, if anything. Nominally it meant really fake reviews, both positive and negative, got cleared away. But using dozens of vetted and frequent reviewer accounts to give 4-5 star ratings spread out over weeks or months? That works fine. If yelp will write up fake reviews that'd be such a time saver.

Seriously, what is this thread's hard on for boogiemen? There are a lot of scams out there, but pretending an online review service is actively practicing extortion on millions of businesses is ridiculous.

I heard PJOmega wants to hug Yelp, and kiss them. He said it himself. This guy wants to kiss Yelp, everybody. What a maroon. You can't kiss a website, idiot.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm trying to see what tv channels i get, and i caught the end of a commercial (on some channel in the same tuner package as cspan, QVC esque stuff, and some bible crap) that said "Don't leave your loved ones with your debt, call now!". Now giving the benefit of the doubt that they mean stuff like funeral expenses, thats maybe ok but if that were the case id expect language closer to that. instead, it sounds like they are implying that ALL of their debt will roll over onto their family, which im pretty drat certain isn't the truth (barring pennsylvania). how is this not illegal? Am I wrong?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'm trying to see what tv channels i get, and i caught the end of a commercial (on some channel in the same tuner package as cspan, QVC esque stuff, and some bible crap) that said "Don't leave your loved ones with your debt, call now!". Now giving the benefit of the doubt that they mean stuff like funeral expenses, thats maybe ok but if that were the case id expect language closer to that. instead, it sounds like they are implying that ALL of their debt will roll over onto their family, which im pretty drat certain isn't the truth (barring pennsylvania). how is this not illegal? Am I wrong?

I know the commercial of which you speak. It's definitely aimed at funeral expenses.

As far as the other, as long as you aren't the co-signer of any loans or cards, you aren't responsible for any debt. Now if you want to keep things like cars or houses, you need to assume the outstanding debt, but credit lines are not assumed by non-signatories. A lot of CC companies are absolutely poo poo-heels and will do every thing up to (but not quite crossing the line) implying you are responsible for your spouse's/kid's/parent's debt, but usually a quick consult with lawyer to write letters is all it takes to get them to go away. I'm not sure if they can go after the estate to recover.

At least that's been my experience in IL.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

I know the commercial of which you speak. It's definitely aimed at funeral expenses.

As far as the other, as long as you aren't the co-signer of any loans or cards, you aren't responsible for any debt. Now if you want to keep things like cars or houses, you need to assume the outstanding debt, but credit lines are not assumed by non-signatories. A lot of CC companies are absolutely poo poo-heels and will do every thing up to (but not quite crossing the line) implying you are responsible for your spouse's/kid's/parent's debt, but usually a quick consult with lawyer to write letters is all it takes to get them to go away. I'm not sure if they can go after the estate to recover.

At least that's been my experience in IL.

The estate is absolutely responsible for outstanding debts. Otherwise everyone would go on a credit card buying spree for their loved ones before they shuffle off and hey, free stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

The estate is absolutely responsible for outstanding debts. Otherwise everyone would go on a credit card buying spree for their loved ones before they shuffle off and hey, free stuff!

Makes total sense, I just wasn't sure which is why I asked.

I only know about the house and CC stuff because my once and future sister-in-law had her husband suddenly drop dead in an Ikea and he had a credit card she wasn't a co-signer for and they tried hard to get her to assume the card debt directly. As in keep the account active but transferred over to her. They kept implying she had to so she got a lawyer to straighten them out.