Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

New Zealand can eat me posted:

The youtube video in the OP says 2016 release, when will this actually be done?

If I sound demanding, it's because this looks cool but I have burned my hand enough on the "early access space base building game" stove :smith:

I don't know about the future, but certainly for now I've got my £12 worth from the game. I've put in at least 10 hours and loved every minute of it. I still feel like there's more I could be doing in my current colony, and this is near cycle 50.

It's definitely got some roughness round the edges though. I don't think any of the plants tell you what they need to grow until you're failing to meet those conditions, so you might end up uprooting a whole farm to move it to a warmer or cooler part of the base, or re-plumbing it because you fed it the wrong liquid. There's a bunch of heat related mechanics but not enough to do useful things like mine ice as a water source. I still don't know what allows water pools to sometimes break through rock. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why my power generation room was gathering polluted water. But the core of the game is very solid and charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

I still don't know what allows water pools to sometimes break through rock.

Pressure.

For example, if you have a really large pool of water and the pool has only one layer of tile at the bottom, it will slowly take damage and eventually break.

Pressure is a bigger concern with geyser pockets. Their pressure tends to be high enough to break through two layers of softer rocks (sand, algae, etc.).

There is no visible formula to this, but it's definitely predictable.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Materials have hardness and temperature transference stats that determine how they react to pressure and how well they retain heat. If you build your walls out of a tough material you won't need thicker layers and I'm sure you can calculate the max pressure a natural gas vent can generate inside a space before it stops outputting and adjust your wall thickness accordingly (I think gas vents will defeat a 3 thick sandstone wall). The main problem with gas chambers is that the gas pressure will beat out your doors and eventually leak out.

I saw a video where a guy built lights inside his growth chambers from a material with a high heat transference and they ended up being way more efficient than space heaters.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

Materials have hardness and temperature transference stats that determine how they react to pressure and how well they retain heat. If you build your walls out of a tough material you won't need thicker layers and I'm sure you can calculate the max pressure a natural gas vent can generate inside a space before it stops outputting and adjust your wall thickness accordingly (I think gas vents will defeat a 3 thick sandstone wall). The main problem with gas chambers is that the gas pressure will beat out your doors and eventually leak out.

I saw a video where a guy built lights inside his growth chambers from a material with a high heat transference and they ended up being way more efficient than space heaters.

I honestly haven't really had a problem with gas pressure since it tends to max out at 2000g per tile (1000g appears to be what the game considers "normal" pressure) in most circumstances - any player-made objects that produce/pump gases will automatically stop at this pressure level. Natural gas vents stop at about 5kg per tile. You can see quite a bit more pressure occurring in pockets with polluted water in them, since it will continue to produce gas forever, but even with 15kg or more gas per tile it never seems to break any of the surrounding rock. I did have leakage problems with my water reservoir when using sandstone for the walls, though - granite works much better, abyssalite best (abyssalite will also be a natural insulator without even having to make insulated tiles - the heat transference on it is essentially zero).

Incidentally, the game could really use a pressure overlay - the oxygen density overlay only lets you see how much oxygen or polluted oxygen there is - even 1000kg of CO2 will still just show up as red.

Also yeah lights can produce a crazy amount of heat. I put a couple or ceiling lamps in my farm area just for fun (I don't THINK plants are affected by light but just in case), and had to turn them off because they were loving up my temperature control which I'm already having enough problems with - the tiles with the lamps in them very quickly rose up to 90°C.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 30, 2017

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

enraged_camel posted:

I played this game for a few more hours over the weekend, and man... they really need to add more content fast. DS was not this bare-bones when it got released to early access.

As things stand, it is a fun little timekiller, but after having successfully survived past cycle 60, I don't feel any burning desire to start another game.

Logged on to a friend's account to "borrow" this, basically got to the same point before I was like "well its been a few hours, might as well run this poo poo into the ground"

This has hints of one of my favorite niche game genres, the mine-to-upgrade-to-mine types like Steamworld Dig.

Are there more critters past the turtle-facecrab thing?

I'm not sure I can justify spending $25 on this, but when they finish it I will not hesitate to pay whatever they decide to charge

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Every new colony, I get closer to self sustaining and learning something. Feels like I'm rapidly approaching the edge of content though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Every new colony, I get closer to self sustaining and learning something. Feels like I'm rapidly approaching the edge of content though.

You'll basically be "done" once you build a natural gas generator and hook it up to your ventilation and plumbing system.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
I picked this up over the weekend and definitely don't regret it. After about 200 cycles I finally got a base nearly self sustaining, minus having to occasionally open the airlock I put on a steam geyser to replenish my water supply. A natural gas geyser and a few sleet wheat farm tiles pretty much put an end to all of your resource constraints, though. Also microbe musher is a trap, the power cost is way too​ high for the early game and your dudes end up spending too much time running around for water... although that may be a side effect of my always choosing criers and just ignoring stress levels entirely.

Guess I should start paying more attention to materials too. I tried to make an AC system for a farm expansion, but only managed to lower the temps by about 15 degrees while the rest of my base turned into an oven.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I always put my musher right next to water. There is still the dirt requirement though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

enraged_camel posted:

You'll basically be "done" once you build a natural gas generator and hook it up to your ventilation and plumbing system.

Well, that and water geysers for infinite water.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you haven't played since the last patch, they did nerf how much gas was being produced by natural gas vents (apparently they were producing 4x more than the tooltip said they were). So one vent probably won't be sufficient to sustain your entire base anymore.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Well, that and water geysers for infinite water.

Right.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Eventually, I run into a problem of nobody doing any work because they're constantly running water to algae plants and my farm tiles. And then eventually everyone starts hitting stress caps, even with active massage tables. Figuring out oxygen is a pain.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Eventually, I run into a problem of nobody doing any work because they're constantly running water to algae plants and my farm tiles. And then eventually everyone starts hitting stress caps, even with active massage tables. Figuring out oxygen is a pain.

Use water pumps to automatically drip water onto your algae farms? That would free up loads of manpower so your Dupes can work on other poo poo.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Loopoo posted:

Use water pumps to automatically drip water onto your algae farms? That would free up loads of manpower so your Dupes can work on other poo poo.

...I never thought of that. Just put a drain right overhead and it won't flood or anything?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

...I never thought of that. Just put a drain right overhead and it won't flood or anything?

This is how I do it. A floor with a gap on one side to let water drain away to a water reservoir (this is where the pump is installed). I pump water from below up to the vent placed above the algae farms, it floods the floor but because there's an open gap to the right, it just drips back down into the reservoir. It keeps the algae plants (green) properly watered. The grey thing in the middle is meant to represent a ladder leading below - to the reservoir - and above, to the rest of your colony. Algae farms are naturally placed on the bottom-most part of your colony, since CO2 falls.

This design lets you dedicate an entire bottom floor to algae farms. Just have a vent placed farthest left and farthest right, with a gap in the middle. Then algae farms on each side. IIRC water only travels a certain distance, so don't have massively wide algae farms. You can stick lamps between two algae farms to increase production as well, I believe. Though I can't 100% remember if light bonus affects them, or if it only affects edible food plants.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 3, 2017

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Does that actually make them have the water they need in their inventory or however it works? The heck.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GenericOverusedName posted:

Does that actually make them have the water they need in their inventory or however it works? The heck.

Yeah, although weirdly they still need an initial run by hand to get them started. If they're already going though, they will absorb water from the environment if it's available.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Surely by the time you can pump water onto your farm plots you can just build irrigated ones and feed them directly for the extra harvest bonus?

Or is there some other benefit to regular farm tiles, other than decor?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Surely by the time you can pump water onto your farm plots you can just build irrigated ones and feed them directly for the extra harvest bonus?

Or is there some other benefit to regular farm tiles, other than decor?

Oh poo poo I forgot there's a farming update. Disregard everything I said. Last time I played this game was when it was Alpha and not on EA yet.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Although it's worth noting that Mealwood and Pincha Peppers are irrigated by polluted water, not clean water, which is a mistake I made the first time. They still won't demand watering if they're fed wrong though, they just won't get the irrigation bonus.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Algae is a mostly non-renewable resource, sadly.

Mad respect to anyone who manages to herd all the map's Puffs into a sustainable ranch.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 4, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Algae is a mostly non-renewable resource, sadly.

Mad respect to anyone who manages to herd all the map's Puffs into a sustainable ranch.

You can produce oxygen without algae though, and if you're careful with using it, you can make what algae there is last a really long time. The main thing to be aware of is that deoxydizers use a up algae a hell of a lot faster than terrariums (500g/s vs. 33g/s). So although they produce oxygen more quickly, you shouldn't really rely on them as your primary source. Terrariums use up a lot of water, but water is renewable so that's not as big a deal.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can produce oxygen without algae though, and if you're careful with using it, you can make what algae there is last a really long time. The main thing to be aware of is that deoxydizers use a up algae a hell of a lot faster than terrariums (500g/s vs. 33g/s). So although they produce oxygen more quickly, you shouldn't really rely on them as your primary source. Terrariums use up a lot of water, but water is renewable so that's not as big a deal.

Keep in mind however that you need a hell of a lot more terrariums to generate the same amount of oxygen.

In addition, they are a lot more location-sensitive. You need to place them at the bottom of your base, since that's where carbon dioxide sinks to.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
They will produce oxygen without CO2, though. Eating CO2 is just a nice bonus thing they do. It does still make the most sense to put them at the bottom of your base for that reason, though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They will produce oxygen without CO2, though. Eating CO2 is just a nice bonus thing they do. It does still make the most sense to put them at the bottom of your base for that reason, though.

CO2 is a necessary input. If they produce O2 without CO2, that's a bug. Photosynthesis doesn't work without CO2!

Keep in mind that partial inputs will result in partial outputs. Sometimes a generator/device can look like it is working, but it's actual output is less than the maximum. That might be the case with terrariums.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I started playing this a couple of weeks ago. Really engrossing. My biggest thrill is watching everything come together for a few cycles, especially getting water flow done well. Biggest grip is the lack of a priority system for skills because it takes a lot of watching and clicking to pull people off jobs if a snag occurs. I tend to find CO2 being my biggest threat by far.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There is a priority system, but the UI for it could use improvement. The buttons are kind of fiddly and it doesn't remember what you last set it to.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Is there a way to move items from one storage bin to another? The only idea I have is to put specific item in a bin, make the destination bin, and deconstruct the original bin.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If you uncheck that item on the original bin's list all of that item will be dumped out.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

If you uncheck that item on the original bin's list all of that item will be dumped out.

That works, thanks!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

If you are getting a weird build up of water where there shouldn't be any it's because you're (I'm) a dumbass and didn't uncheck liquifiables from the storage compactors. The pipes aren't leaking. It's snow and ice.

This has been your "Oh, right, duh." of the day.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I've tried using that as a source of water but it turns out 20 tonnes of ice melts really slowly.

I really need to find a steam vent. Natural gas geysers give me a source of polluted water to purify but that relies on my sand supply...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

I've tried using that as a source of water but it turns out 20 tonnes of ice melts really slowly.

I really need to find a steam vent. Natural gas geysers give me a source of polluted water to purify but that relies on my sand supply...

Yeah relying on melting ice for water doesn't really work at the moment because while it will give you a LOT of water, it melts very slowly, and unlike real ice, it melts all at once rather than slowly converting from ice to water. So you'll start with 20 tonnes of ice at -30C, dump it in some kind of 90 degree sweatbox, then 100 cycles later you'll still have 20 tonnes of ice at -1C, then one cycle after that all of a sudden you'll have 20 tonnes of water at +1C.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

8one6 posted:

If you are getting a weird build up of water where there shouldn't be any it's because you're (I'm) a dumbass and didn't uncheck liquifiables from the storage compactors. The pipes aren't leaking. It's snow and ice.

This has been your "Oh, right, duh." of the day.
the compacters now let you be more selective with what goes where by clicking just individual materials in the compacter menu and it remembers the explicit exclusion. there's no good reason to click 'All' at this point, unless you want to revel in your dupes stressing out earlier than usual.

Tenebrais posted:

If you've found an area that's hot enough, you can just drop the ice down there and harvest the steam(this works with polluted ice/water also)

e: https://steamcommunity.com/app/457140/discussions/0/133257959059838984/

temple
Jul 29, 2006

How do you manage water pockets early game and water in general late game?

I'm thinking of making cisterns. Does granite hold water with 1 block depth? Which are the best water materials?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

temple posted:

How do you manage water pockets early game and water in general late game?

I'm thinking of making cisterns. Does granite hold water with 1 block depth? Which are the best water materials?

the materials with the greatest hardness are wolframite(150), tungsten and abyssalite(200)

http://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/List_of_resources

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 9, 2017

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I tried making a cistern at the top of my base, but I just used sandstone to make the floors and walls of it as that was what I had available.

I did not have that cistern for very long.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

My biggest shitstorm was the first term I dug into slime. One piece funked my colony to high hell. I learned to build trash rooms after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I've played this game for 119 hours and just realized you can rotate doors