Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe he also had some hand in the production of Bojack Horseman.

He helped produce a fictional show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

He also had a worthless show on CNBC at night called Conversations with Michael Eisner.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Tornate is Eisner's company.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MiddleOne posted:

He helped produce a fictional show?

The fictional show is called Horsin' Around.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

Lost and Desperate Housewives were the breakout hits of the 04-05 season

less laughter posted:

Grey's Anatomy too (colossal midseason hit).

Prison Break too. I feel like this era was the swansong for the Big Network Mega-Hits as the writers strike, streaming, rise of basic cable and Peak TV were all on the horizon.

I remember here in Australia, the network that secured Lost, Housewives and Prison Break absolutely DOMINATED the ratings for years cause of these shows. They advertised them relentlessly over the summer during the Australian Open Tennis when there is nothing else to watch and once ratings time started in February these shows became mega hits

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 7, 2017

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

try the new taco place posted:

also surprised to see Veronica Mars not mentioned as far as "incredibly satisfying payoff" to season-long mystery arcs. Most people thought season 2 was a big step down, but I still liked it, as well as the 6-7 episode mini-arcs they tried in the last season.

:same:

In related (already discussed?) news that I just learned today, Diane Ruggiero (Veronica Mars, iZombie) had a pilot picked up for ABCFamily Freeform.

MISFITS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXn1zJa0K8c&t=28s

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
How's Vice Principals?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good, provided you don't mind comedy that's a little* on the mean side.

*ok maybe more than a little

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

How's Vice Principals?

It's fine.

The biggest disappointment for me was that it's just more Danny McBride doing his thing. It's the practically the same deal as Eastbound and Down.

I was hoping Goggins would get like, equal screen time and be an equally developed character, and he's really not.

But if you don't mind crude and mean comedy, it's pretty fun.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Did I read someone say the characters in the original Twin Peaks were awesome and one of the shows strengths? I'm 2 episodes in and feel this couldn't t be further from the truth.

There are so many awful, hokey, one note characters here. Mrs Palmer who never stops howling like a banshee when on screen, the idiot boyfriend with a volume knob that never goes under 10, the idiot flirty daughter of the hotel owner that thinks acting like a 6 year old is sexy, the cheesy as gently caress villainous truck driving boyfriend, the airhead receptionist. They all SUCK

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 7, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, someone else who doesn't like Twin Peaks. High five!

There are dozens of us... Dozens!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

how do you not like lucy

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

how do you not like lucy

She's the receptionist yeah? I like her the most out of the listed examples and I have chuckled at a couple of her lines

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I kind of like the goofy sheriffs. But yeah the characters are awful.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Dale Cooper is one of the best Television characters of all time.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
James is cool.

James was always cool.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
A live-action Cowboy Bebop series is in development, on one hand I don't really get the point since it was already a good show but on the other hand there are a lot of animes I would be interested in seeing versions of that don't have the pacing issues + fanservice + pedophilia that plague even "the good ones". Especially if it means one day getting the equivalent of what shows like Legion have managed to do with adapting comic books.

Looten Plunder posted:

Did I read someone say the characters in the original Twin Peaks were awesome and one of the shows strengths? I'm 2 episodes in and feel this couldn't t be further from the truth.

There are so many awful, hokey, one note characters here. Mrs Palmer who never stops howling like a banshee when on screen, the idiot boyfriend with a volume knob that never goes under 10, the idiot flirty daughter of the hotel owner that thinks acting like a 6 year old is sexy, the cheesy as gently caress villainous truck driving boyfriend, the airhead receptionist. They all SUCK

Twin Peaks is explicitly a mash-up of David Lynch's surreal dream logic artsiness mashed up with the soap operas of the day, I have no real familiarity with or fondness for soap operas but the show just worked for me as its own wonderful beast and so many characters being cranked up to 11 all the time was part of that.

At the very least hang in there until Dale's crazy vision quest with the dancing, backwards-talking dwarf a couple episodes in. That's the point where the show more or less finds its groove and really lets you know what you're in for.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

A live-action Cowboy Bebop series is in development, on one hand I don't really get the point since it was already a good show but on the other hand there are a lot of animes I would be interested in seeing versions of that don't have the pacing issues + fanservice + pedophilia that plague even "the good ones". Especially if it means one day getting the equivalent of what shows like Legion have managed to do with adapting comic books.

Considering that goofy anime slapstick was how that show built up towards its serious drama I have no idea how a live-action adaptation wouldn't be completely terrible. Like you'd have to re-think the entire thing.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

try the new taco place posted:

I thought I was the only person on earth that watched/enjoyed Harper's Island

I liked it too. I wished we had more of these type of one off shows on TV but I'm guessing ratings for it wasn't good otherwise, we'd be flooded with these shows by now.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 8, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How do you make a live-action Cowboy Bebop that steps far enough away from the anime stylings to feel worthwhile without just being Firefly?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bruceski posted:

How do you make a live-action Cowboy Bebop that steps far enough away from the anime stylings to feel worthwhile without just being Firefly?

You do it by mostly ignoring the original and just making a good show with a similar premise. Make it an adaptation the same way Battlestar adapted from the original.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

TV Zombie posted:

I liked it too. I wished we had more of these type of one off shows on TV but I'm guessing ratings for it wasn't good otherwise, we'd be flooded with these shows by now.

It does seem like solid murder mysteries that don't turn into soap opera's are pretty few.

Most of the solid murder mysteries I can think of aren't even in that classic "And then there were none" style that Harper's Island had. They're mostly slow-burn British Cop/serial killer shows and a few American ones, like True Detective season 1. There's also The Killing, but I remember everyone just hate watched that.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 8, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fox has decided that they don't want to wait until Corey Hawkins is done doing whatever and has canceled 24: Legacy. Although they have said they're interested in continuing to do 24, just now as an anthology.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

You do it by mostly ignoring the original and just making a good show with a similar premise. Make it an adaptation the same way Battlestar adapted from the original.

Yeah, but the name Cowboy Bebop comes with baggage. The premise is fairly flexible and well-suited for TV, but that name evokes something very specific. Stray too far from that, you lose the fanbase, and that begs the question: Why?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm honestly not looking forward to the shitshow that is gonna erupt when they cast Faye as a white lady. It's likely inevitable even though it's completely preventable.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think an issue with an adaptation of Cowboy Bebop is that a big part of why it was so good is that it had a solid ending. It was a show that didn't overstay its welcome and I don't see that surviving translation.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

It does seem like solid murder mysteries that don't turn into soap opera's are pretty few.

Most of the solid murder mysteries I can think of aren't even in that classic "And then there were none" style that Harper's Island had. They're mostly slow-burn British Cop/serial killer shows and a few American ones, like True Detective season 1. There's also The Killing, but I remember everyone just hate watched that.

What are the good murder mystery/slow burn crime drama shows other than TD Season 1? I'm gonna check out Harper's Island. I also liked The Shadow Line and some other ones I forget. I was one of the many people who ended up hating The Killing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like the British version of Wallander. Kenneth Branagh plays a depressed swedish detective and life shits on him in every single episode. It's like Sherlock in how each season is 3x90 minute movies. Tom Hiddleston plays a detective in the first season.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am not an anime person, but my anime friends all told me if I watch one, its the one to watch. I have to admit I enjoyed it, but I think it can be live adapted. The biggest thing will the music. Guardians of the Galaxy showed how a soundtrack can transform a movie, and I hope that Cowboy Bebop Actual does something similar. The only thing I see being difficult to translate to a live show is the crazy cartoonishness of Ed. Everything else is easily adapted to live action.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I am not an anti-anime person, and I could never get into Cowboy Bebop and don't understand the hype. I feel like it must have been a disproportionate number of people's only anime that they ever watched.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

I am not an anti-anime person, and I could never get into Cowboy Bebop and don't understand the hype. I feel like it must have been a disproportionate number of people's only anime that they ever watched.

Nah it's a problem with you.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't big on Bebop when I tried it either although apparently the central plot takes a while to get going. I'll definitely give it another shot sometime.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's not a show where you go in for the central plot. I mean it's there, and it's good, but the standout episodes are the completely standalone ones.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People will riot if the show doesn't have a corgi.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Cowboy Bebop has an overarching plot, but it's also very episodic and it's specific episodes that pull people in. Pierrot Le Fou is especially good and doesn't require much knowledge of the world besides "scifi future."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wouldn't really recommend watching a standalone episode out of order, though. The show does a very good job of building the characterization of the cast throughout the series, and some of the best moments of the standalone episodes rely on their character traits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All anime is terrible and will give you AIDS.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Metropolis posted:

What are the good murder mystery/slow burn crime drama shows other than TD Season 1? I'm gonna check out Harper's Island. I also liked The Shadow Line and some other ones I forget. I was one of the many people who ended up hating The Killing.

The Bridge (both versions), Happy Valley, Broadchurch, Damages, The Night Of

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

All anime is terrible and will give you AIDS.

No Rhyno, that's Reaganist propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

No Rhyno, that's Reaganist propaganda.

Gorbachev did nothing wrong.

• Locked thread