Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Psion posted:

-now armless enemy Hunchback headbutts my Blackjack in the CT for a kill

My centurion did this to a pristine hunchback that had taken out both my arms and mauled it, but it was a headshot. :woop:

Also, is it just me or facing with a centurion, using the left arm as a shield, only make it more likely for an enemy to hit my precious right arm? I'm constantly losing my right arm (and my ridiculous ac-10) whenever I face in such a manner. Does the model shape affect what gets hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont understand why Assaults have so much worse sensor range. Or spotting range - arent most of them taller and more stable platforms?

In theory lights are fast and maneuverable enough that they can get out front and scout the enemy, therefore they mount much more sophisticated sensor suites. Heavies and assaults on the other hand, would only be committed to an engagement once the enemy has been spotted.

It's why most of your ground scout units will run in hummers, you COULD scout with an Abrams but it would be super noticeable and slow.

This is sort of modeled in game but the maps are really small, LOS is REALLY short, and the sensor ranges aren't really that different so by the time you get a sensor lock on a target and bring your LRMs into the fight, the enemy has either counter spotted your light and wrecks it, or they just push up one more turn and are in medium/short range.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm glad this game is XCOM because now I can ignore it until it's deeply discounted in a steam sale.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm glad this game is XCOM because now I can ignore it until it's deeply discounted in a steam sale.

XCOM Enforcer 2: this time it's giant robots

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

School Nickname posted:

My centurion did this to a pristine hunchback that had taken out both my arms and mauled it, but it was a headshot. :woop:

Also, is it just me or facing with a centurion, using the left arm as a shield, only make it more likely for an enemy to hit my precious right arm? I'm constantly losing my right arm (and my ridiculous ac-10) whenever I face in such a manner. Does the model shape affect what gets hit?

If something shoots your 'Mech from the left side arc and hits your right arm, that's definitely a bug. The hit table looks like this:

"HitMechLocationFromRight" : [
{
"k" : "Head",
"v" : 1
},
{
"k" : "CenterTorso",
"v" : 4
},
{
"k" : "LeftTorso",
"v" : 0
},
{
"k" : "RightTorso",
"v" : 28
},
{
"k" : "LeftArm",
},
{
"k" : "RightArm",
},
{
"k" : "LeftLeg",
},
{
"k" : "RightLeg",
}

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Gwaihir posted:

I played a game on death valley with 350 spotting distance, and a few other tweaks:
Slightly lower base gunnery (65->60%)
Lower speed needed to get defensive move mods (The top move mod bracket by default is unreachable by any mech that isn't sprinting) and bumped up the top move speed defensive mod by 15%

Ended up being really fun, and it did feel like the AI played it better than usual. It actually came down to two of my mechs (Both with damage, one missing an arm, one with CT internal hits through rear armor) left standing at the end.
I even had an SRM commando that almost lasted the whole way through.

e: Stuff like a Spider or Locust should still be able to get good defensive mods for just running, and not sprinting. I feel like the game really needs the extra bracket for the 8/12 speed lights to be able to appropriately stretch their legs. Next game I'm going to try making the walk speed the equivalent of TT "Run" speed, while making sprint the equivalent of the actual Tacops sprinting rule- Double walking MP, no weapons fire allowed. Will probably be hilarity.

God I love that this is possible this early.

We can moan and bitch about how sensor ranges should be longer or how PPCs need a boost and I truly do hope that HBS makes some of those changes, but if it's this easy to mod the community will have half a dozen different things to make it how you want it within a month of release.

edit: also HBS's attitude of "yeah, you found that? Go look for this it's pretty funny" to people diving in the directories and activating half-finished mechs is really healthy. You don't see that too often.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

If something shoots your 'Mech from the left side arc and hits your right arm, that's definitely a bug. The hit table looks like this:

"HitMechLocationFromRight" : [
{
"k" : "Head",
"v" : 1
},
{
"k" : "CenterTorso",
"v" : 4
},
{
"k" : "LeftTorso",
},
{
"k" : "RightTorso",
},
{
"k" : "LeftArm",
},
{
"k" : "RightArm",
},
{
"k" : "LeftLeg",
},
{
"k" : "RightLeg",
}

Is there code for facing at an angle? Also the Jenners run way too hot lol.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 6, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Not sure what you mean about facing angles, the game ignores torso twisting entirely really. The only thing that should matter are the 4 quadrants you see when you have a mech selected.
When you get shot, one of them will be highlighted in red to show which angle your getting shot from. Similarly, when you're choosing a movement option, it will highly on enemy mechs to show you which arc you'll shoot them from.

In this shot, not that it's really questionable where I'm getting shot from, but you can see the front arc is highlighted on my Battlemaster.

Cyrano4747 posted:

God I love that this is possible this early.

We can moan and bitch about how sensor ranges should be longer or how PPCs need a boost and I truly do hope that HBS makes some of those changes, but if it's this easy to mod the community will have half a dozen different things to make it how you want it within a month of release.

edit: also HBS's attitude of "yeah, you found that? Go look for this it's pretty funny" to people diving in the directories and activating half-finished mechs is really healthy. You don't see that too often.

Extremely same.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

This is basically the essence of "How to win battletech.txt" anyhow~! (combined with make my dice odds better than his")

Well I mean if they continue to steal from x-com as they clearly have been all you will have to do in this situation is chuck out a mimic beacon or have a mech throw out his smoke grenade.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

Not sure what you mean about facing angles, the game ignores torso twisting entirely really. The only thing that should matter are the 4 quadrants you see when you have a mech selected.
When you get shot, one of them will be highlighted in red to show which angle your getting shot from. Similarly, when you're choosing a movement option, it will highly on enemy mechs to show you which arc you'll shoot them from.

In this shot, not that it's really questionable where I'm getting shot from, but you can see the front arc is highlighted on my Battlemaster.

Thanks for this, I should really pay more attention to the icons on the enemy mech, since I missed that both the enemy hunchbacks were bulwarked. :downs: Also, I had my hunchback 4P generate zero heat with alpha strikes while in water. Even with water that can't be right, can it? Reminded me of my old MLAS spam days in MW2 and mercs (or SPLAS spam on THAT loving mw2 mission where you're thrown in front of a Warhawk doing the same).

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Something I've noticed: my winning battles tend to end with my lightest mechs extremely hosed up or dead and my heaviest ones almost pristine. My Atlases rarely get touched. Anyone else have the same experience? I'm wondering if the AI prioritizes getting kills on smaller 'mechs or if I'm just getting them into trouble with my positioning -- although even when I have Jenners and the like come in on wide flanks the AI tends to focus on them.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

School Nickname posted:

Thanks for this, I should really pay more attention to the icons on the enemy mech, since I missed that both the enemy hunchbacks were bulwarked. :downs: Also, I had my hunchback 4P generate zero heat with alpha strikes while in water. Even with water that can't be right, can it? Reminded me of my old MLAS spam days in MW2 and mercs (or SPLAS spam on THAT loving mw2 mission where you're thrown in front of a Warhawk doing the same).

Water is OP in this game.

OK, mostly joking. But in this game water doubles your heatsink capacity for all heatsinks. Not just ones located in the legs.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gwaihir posted:

How much does the mod you were mentioning increase LoS by default? Like 1.5-2x?

I'm a fan of 900 LOS, which means a pilot with high tactics can see well past that. But the AI is surprisingly good about hiding units behind cover, so it's not a shooting gallery. You can tweak it to whatever settings you want pretty easily, but I really prefer "nearly unlimited direct view distance" in optimal conditions.

Q_res posted:

Water is OP in this game.

OK, mostly joking. But in this game water doubles your heatsink capacity for all heatsinks. Not just ones located in the legs.

It's really not a joke; water offers no downsides and crazy upsides here, way more than in CBT because of a lack of things like breaching. I'm a fan of making any 'mech in deep water have the Unstable tag as a trade-off.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm a fan of 900 LOS, which means a pilot with high tactics can see well past that. But the AI is surprisingly good about hiding units behind cover, so it's not a shooting gallery. You can tweak it to whatever settings you want pretty easily, but I really prefer "nearly unlimited direct view distance" in optimal conditions.

It's really not a joke; water offers no downsides and crazy upsides here, way more than in CBT because of a lack of things like breaching. I'm a fan of making any 'mech in deep water have the Unstable tag as a trade-off.

nah, it's easy enough - just go to TT rules where it's only the HS in the legs that get doubled efficiency in water.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It's probably easier at this point to just change the number rather than the mechanic.

Instead of +100% HS capacity, make it 50% or maybe even 25%.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

sebmojo posted:

XCOM Enforcer 2: this time it's giant robots

No that's a different game, it's about as good as Enforcer was too. Here's the thread for it.

:greenangel:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cyrano4747 posted:

nah, it's easy enough - just go to TT rules where it's only the HS in the legs that get doubled efficiency in water.

I suppose, though to be honest in TT being in the water had so many massive disadvantages you'd never, ever want to stand there just for a little heat reduction. Even more if you totally submerged. One wrong shot and you'd never get out of the pool.

Anybody who ever jumped into water in TT without knowing the rules only to fall prone, land on their back, breach their back and flood their own engine learns the hard way it's better to play in fire than water. At least fire makes smoke.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I wouldn't be opposed to stability and movement penalties in water myself.

Also some of the maps need to be reworked slightly, the Arctic Valley map has areas on the rocky ridge that count as being in water despite being a good 100ft above it.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I actually Mechashiva'd

The Hunchback moved in for a Melee and took the same space as the Battlemaster to form the HUNCHMASTER. The Melee attack missed, the Orion fell over from pure fear. Guess I have to send a bug report.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Amechwarrior posted:

I actually Mechashiva'd

The Hunchback moved in for a Melee and took the same space as the Battlemaster to form the HUNCHMASTER. The Melee attack missed, the Orion fell over from pure fear. Guess I have to send a bug report.

PGI would ban you for this.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Skoll posted:

PGI would ban you for this.

Niko would ban me for posting that screenshot "for cheating" in a completely different Battletech game.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
For cheating in a different Battletech game on a different forum.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Goon AllStars Mod?

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 7, 2017

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

Goon AllStars Mod?

gently caress YES!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Phrosphor posted:

Goon AllStars Mod?

now mod in a sound effect so that every time you lurm the "woosh" is replaced with "fox two fox two fox two fox two"

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

If you ever figure out how to edit 'Mech portraits as well, got just the thing

Atlas Shrug will never be irrelevant

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Paingod556 posted:

If you ever figure out how to edit 'Mech portraits as well, got just the thing

Atlas Shrug will never be irrelevant
Oh my god thank you, these are priceless.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mechashiva is not a crime :mad:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Chronojam posted:

Mechashiva is not a crime :mad:

But what about indecent mech-sposure???

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 7, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwaihir posted:

But what about indecent mech-sposure???

I cant find the screencap I had of 10 Kerensky Alts all on top of one another :( We did it the weekend that they had the trial Cataphract that has JJs and had 8v8 Kerensky alts.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 7, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

Something I've noticed: my winning battles tend to end with my lightest mechs extremely hosed up or dead and my heaviest ones almost pristine. My Atlases rarely get touched. Anyone else have the same experience? I'm wondering if the AI prioritizes getting kills on smaller 'mechs or if I'm just getting them into trouble with my positioning -- although even when I have Jenners and the like come in on wide flanks the AI tends to focus on them.

The AI seems to have 2 priorities: getting the highest To-Hit number it can, and eliminating the easiest target it can find. It will absolutely try to eliminate a light `Mech immediately if it can to deprive you of numbers (smart) but I have a feeling the reason why evasive isn't factored into the hit percentages is because the AI would take one look at a 45% to-hit and say "nope" and never fire at an evasive target if it had other targets available (dumb).

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I really want the goon pilots mod, that kicks rear end.

Also add me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

The AI seems to have 2 priorities: getting the highest To-Hit number it can, and eliminating the easiest target it can find. It will absolutely try to eliminate a light `Mech immediately if it can to deprive you of numbers (smart) but I have a feeling the reason why evasive isn't factored into the hit percentages is because the AI would take one look at a 45% to-hit and say "nope" and never fire at an evasive target if it had other targets available (dumb).

Given how often the AI shoots at my evasive mechs I don't think it takes evasive into account when looking for the best to-hit numbers.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Thronde posted:

I really want the goon pilots mod, that kicks rear end.

Also add me.

I'm going to have to mod PTN in as the leader of whatever enemy faction I face, so I can shake my fist angrily at his virtual dice whenever his units kill me. :argh:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

PoptartsNinja posted:

That makes sense. I also wonder if AI behavior will change in an actual campaign mission.

Like, OK, if I'm the AI and I'm programmed to act like an actual OpFor, and I've lost half my mechs and the enemy still has a pristine assault and heavy on the battlefield, I might decide that retreating in good order is way preferable to spiting the player by DFAing a Locust. Of course that could change depending on if I'm set up to act like, say, the Death Commandos.

It kind of reminds me of a game of Medieval II: Total War that I played where Egypt kept on sending whole armies to be slaughtered to a man at the gates of one of my cities. They kept doing that even as the Mongols showed up and started devouring their empire. I kind of realized that the AI was set up to try to make me lose as opposed to acting semi-rationally and quit after that.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The only thing I want from this game is an "Atlas Cop" skin mod.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pattonesque posted:

That makes sense. I also wonder if AI behavior will change in an actual campaign mission.

Like, OK, if I'm the AI and I'm programmed to act like an actual OpFor, and I've lost half my mechs and the enemy still has a pristine assault and heavy on the battlefield, I might decide that retreating in good order is way preferable to spiting the player by DFAing a Locust. Of course that could change depending on if I'm set up to act like, say, the Death Commandos.

It kind of reminds me of a game of Medieval II: Total War that I played where Egypt kept on sending whole armies to be slaughtered to a man at the gates of one of my cities. They kept doing that even as the Mongols showed up and started devouring their empire. I kind of realized that the AI was set up to try to make me lose as opposed to acting semi-rationally and quit after that.
I am really hoping for this too. Some grogs will probably cry that it makes it too easy or something, but since it will be a campaign I would hope that if they do an orderly withdrawal, they can show up again later or make a mission at a later date play out differently. Or it affects my payout "Well you won the objective but you didnt kill the defenders and now they escaped to reinforce another location".

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Pattonesque posted:

That's just an old holdover most roleplaying games. The AI does not know the meaning of "give up" or "retreat". Be it XCOM or any RPG game, AI enemies always fight to the death unless there is an explicit system to force them to run away or give up early. Though I don't think it would be that hard to implement a different system. Create a retreat AI alongside the default AI. When a mech takes more than X% internal damage, or Y pilot hits, transfer control of the mech to the retreat AI. Then create some sort of battlevalue 3.0 to roughly approximate combat power. When the player party's combat power exceeds the AI's party's combat power exceeds by a big enough margin, transfer control of all mechs to the retreat AI. Then you can have some special missions where you know the enemy must fight to the death where the retreat AI is disabled. Hard cutoffs like this are probably exploitable, but they should be good enough to resemble a player's responses, even if they don't follow a player's logic.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

Given how often the AI shoots at my evasive mechs I don't think it takes evasive into account when looking for the best to-hit numbers.

Yes, that's exactly what I said.

Evasive isn't factored into the hit percentages so an AI that looks for the best possible hit percentage won't take evasive into account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I cant find the screencap I had of 10 Kerensky Alts all on top of one another :( We did it the weekend that they had the trial Cataphract that has JJs and had 8v8 Kerensky alts.

This is all I have:

http://imgur.com/a/6ohOf

My videos of the event are gone, and the video that used to be on YouTube was deleted.