Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream
Titans are good but I don't know about broken. They fall off pretty hard after e30 gems or so. If you want broken, my GB11 merc research build gets half a billion per second mana regen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

ijzer posted:

Titans are good but I don't know about broken. They fall off pretty hard after e30 gems or so. If you want broken, my GB11 merc research build gets half a billion per second mana regen.

They come right back up once you get dragons, though. I'm using titan builds exclusively at R50 right now, and it looks like I'm not stopping for another 4 reincarnations or so.

That said, 1e17 faction coins for dragon breath tier 2 is bonkers! I'm usually around 1e11 as it is.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I decrypted all the messages in Crank and turned all the DEST quadrants green, but I didn't see anything I would call an ending. I never should have touched that crank.

PROTIP: make factory shipments as large as possible (500 is nice) or you will drown in delivery notice messages

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Emron posted:

They come right back up once you get dragons, though. I'm using titan builds exclusively at R50 right now, and it looks like I'm not stopping for another 4 reincarnations or so.

That said, 1e17 faction coins for dragon breath tier 2 is bonkers! I'm usually around 1e11 as it is.

They fall off again by the time you reach late R50s to R60 and lineages up to level 5. They're still necessary to build up to 1nonillion gems, but after that, it's Faceless

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Got a fun bug in Crank where I can't see what any of the # per fabrication upgrade requirements besides the one for Scrap Metal. Guess it's time to play a guessing game.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I had the same thing. The costs are the same across the board and the only restricting item at that point is Unique Scrap, which is a compounding 25 per level.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
At least for a little bit, I'm trying not to spoil the Merc research unlock quests and going by what they say in-game. The first imperative is "build more structures" and I'm sitting at 124k waiting for Lightning Strike to hit my Halls so I can afford the quest, it's very old-school and reminds me of the good old days before that "LS always hits Halls" research.

Edit: Hell yeah got it, guess that was the only one?

Buzkashi fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 7, 2017

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Buzkashi posted:

At least for a little bit, I'm trying not to spoil the Merc research unlock quests and going by what they say in-game. The first imperative is "build more structures" and I'm sitting at 124k waiting for Lightning Strike to hit my Halls so I can afford the quest, it's very old-school and reminds me of the good old days before that "LS always hits Halls" research.

Edit: Hell yeah got it, guess that was the only one?

I think it's 150k buildings but with challenges that make buildings count extra it brings it down to around 125k.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I think it's 150k buildings but with challenges that make buildings count extra it brings it down to around 125k.

It was about that, once I got over 10Notg (psh scientific notation) I inched up buildings by the 100 til the quest upgrade lit up.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
When do I get some more base FC chance in Realm Grinder (I'm on R5)? I'm sick of having to wait for those 500 coins every time I play neutral. Same thing for mana as well, waiting for Druids to regen mana sucks.
Also, am I missing something or are most of the challenges impossible at this stage? I guess Fairy challenge 1 is supposed to be done at the very end of a run when you can buy excavations before even getting any faction ugprades?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

GrossMurpel posted:

When do I get some more base FC chance in Realm Grinder (I'm on R5)? I'm sick of having to wait for those 500 coins every time I play neutral. Same thing for mana as well, waiting for Druids to regen mana sucks.
Also, am I missing something or are most of the challenges impossible at this stage? I guess Fairy challenge 1 is supposed to be done at the very end of a run when you can buy excavations before even getting any faction ugprades?

Hate to say it but the purchasable upgrades (gift of the gods I think) are really great for this.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

GrossMurpel posted:

If you can unlock the "coin pillage" trophy/upgrade, that makes tax collection spell also collect FCs, which can help to quick start. Once you get bloodlines in R8, the elven bloodline can be used for getting your FC pile started quickly.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

peepsalot posted:

If you can unlock the "coin pillage" trophy/upgrade, that makes tax collection spell also collect FCs, which can help to quick start. Once you get bloodlines in R8, the elven bloodline can be used for getting your FC pile started quickly.

R8 is okay, I can probably get there really quick now that I've seen how a Diamond Forge build plows ahead.
Coin Pillage though, do I need some kind of specialized Angel-like run for that only focusing on mana regen and max mana?

Falcon2001 posted:

Hate to say it but the purchasable upgrades (gift of the gods I think) are really great for this.

That only makes me start with 20 FCs which is a drop in the bucket.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

R8 is okay, I can probably get there really quick now that I've seen how a Diamond Forge build plows ahead.
Coin Pillage though, do I need some kind of specialized Angel-like run for that only focusing on mana regen and max mana?

That only makes me start with 20 FCs which is a drop in the bucket.

Yeah I just went mercs, made sure to buy the "-100 mana cost to spells" angel upgrade and went neutral for the druid upgrade that gives mana based on stone pillars. Once you have 3k mana, you can do it. By R5 you should have enough to do it, but you might end up with 2800 mana and not enough regen to do it in 5 seconds. That upgrade gets easier when you get bloodlines and it's a very necessary upgrade so you will want to pick it up, but like they said, the elven bloodline is choice till you need another (titan or fairy for a while) to make ingress.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You're also supposed to use earlier builds to build the gems that increase the speed at which you get FC. Beginning a new reincarnation tends to be taking Elf to start that initial gem stash, then jumping into Neutrals when 500 FC is a matter of minutes instead of half an hour. Eventually neutrals aren't enough to keep your gem income building appreciably and you'll move into taking Fairy/Angel with Dwarves.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Chakan posted:

Yeah I just went mercs, made sure to buy the "-100 mana cost to spells" angel upgrade and went neutral for the druid upgrade that gives mana based on stone pillars. Once you have 3k mana, you can do it. By R5 you should have enough to do it, but you might end up with 2800 mana and not enough regen to do it in 5 seconds. That upgrade gets easier when you get bloodlines and it's a very necessary upgrade so you will want to pick it up, but like they said, the elven bloodline is choice till you need another (titan or fairy for a while) to make ingress.

The angel -100 mana upgrade, and also one of the (goblin?) merc upgrades will cast an extra TC for every spell you do so it cuts requirements in half again. And whatever other mana enhancing upgrades you see

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

You're also supposed to use earlier builds to build the gems that increase the speed at which you get FC. Beginning a new reincarnation tends to be taking Elf to start that initial gem stash, then jumping into Neutrals when 500 FC is a matter of minutes instead of half an hour. Eventually neutrals aren't enough to keep your gem income building appreciably and you'll move into taking Fairy/Angel with Dwarves.

Well yeah I certainly know how the basic progression works. To be clear, I'm not talking about hours here, I'm complaining about the setup to even get to Druids taking 15 minutes when the Elves and Dwarf/Elves runs before and after it take like 2 minutes to set up.

peepsalot posted:

The angel -100 mana upgrade, and also one of the (goblin?) merc upgrades will cast an extra TC for every spell you do so it cuts requirements in half again. And whatever other mana enhancing upgrades you see

Good idea, I would have completely forgotten about that one.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

if you buy the first two gifts you start every abdication with enough gold and fc's for the neutral factions. whether that's worth $15 is up to you. i haven't regretted it so far.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

yeah there's a second gift to purchase after the first. i think that one starts with 5k of each FC? been a year or two since i played.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ijzer posted:

if you buy the first two gifts you start every abdication with enough gold and fc's for the neutral factions. whether that's worth $15 is up to you. i haven't regretted it so far.

$7.5 if you catch it on a sale. There is a third gift too but I didn't go that far.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

that being said i still (r85) spend a lot of each abdication waiting for faction coins, so it might be something you just have to get used to. made getting prismatic mana way easier though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

Well yeah I certainly know how the basic progression works. To be clear, I'm not talking about hours here, I'm complaining about the setup to even get to Druids taking 15 minutes when the Elves and Dwarf/Elves runs before and after it take like 2 minutes to set up.

Good to hear, sometimes it's the obvious thing and I wanted to make sure it wasn't. :)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I always just did a few excavations to jump start druids in early Rs. If you're not too greedy you shouldn't run out of excavations doing it.

And if you do you can always run titans instead of druids for a few abdications. They're not much slower and have no coin problem.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sindai posted:

I always just did a few excavations to jump start druids in early Rs. If you're not too greedy you shouldn't run out of excavations doing it.

And if you do you can always run titans instead of druids for a few abdications. They're not much slower and have no coin problem.

I do one or two runs with Titans because early on Lightning Strike will give you massive profits now matter what it hits and you get to spare your excavations.
The problem I find with early Druid runs is that the first excavations basically give gently caress all FCs so you need to buy 40 just to get the upgrades.

Sage Grimm posted:

Good to hear, sometimes it's the obvious thing and I wanted to make sure it wasn't. :)

I guess I could try dragging out Elves a bit more anyway, but hopefully Bloodlines will make all that irrelevant soon.

E: vvvv I already start doing neutral at like 1T+ gems.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 7, 2017

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

What's wrong with doing a few excavations to cover that initial 500-coin hump? By the time gem gains start tapering off for vanilla factions (about 1QA gems I think?), you can also gather several OC in coins for the first few digs before picking a neutral faction.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I finally got up enough money to actually buy into the Merc faction and...

holy poo poo. I was supposed to be paying attention to all the different faction upgrades instead of just hitting "buy all"? That's super lovely for those of us on just iOS.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Luckily people have made guides so you can just save templates and load them and still avoid paying any attention at all

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Welp, in FactoryIdle, I think I got a decent enough factory for up to A5:

Makes $1.2k/tick. But just under 2 research points/tick since yeah no I need money. Prob could adjust it.

And in ReactorIdle, am I doing something wrong if all I got so far is just coal burners and Generators in a checkerboard pattern? Despite having Gas burning unlocked?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Soooo much empty space. You gotta pack your plastic makers more tightly so you can put more in and get more income.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

That'll probably take a bit to finagle for efficiency. Unless efficiency doesn't make me more money.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

widespread posted:

That'll probably take a bit to finagle for efficiency. Unless efficiency doesn't make me more money.

You could probably fit at least 1.5x the selling power into that space, which makes quite a bit more money.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Falcon2001 posted:

You could probably fit at least 1.5x the selling power into that space, which makes quite a bit more money.

And y'all are right! This here makes $3.1k AND 6.8 Research Points per tick!

Now how do I go about fixing the bottom and bottom left out.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Okay I think I've hit a wall with unlocking Merc Research. I got the research building for Neutrals but I the Research panel didn't open? Do I have to get this Tax Collection upgrade as well? Is there an artifact I have to find while playing Mercs?

Edit: Okay, got the artifact, that's that at least.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Unlocked Bloodlines, now I'm making so many FCs I can't keep up with clicking Buy All and the Royal Exchanges. I withdraw my question from earlier.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Buzkashi posted:

Okay I think I've hit a wall with unlocking Merc Research. I got the research building for Neutrals but I the Research panel didn't open? Do I have to get this Tax Collection upgrade as well? Is there an artifact I have to find while playing Mercs?

Edit: Okay, got the artifact, that's that at least.

To unlock the research for mercs you have to a. get the obsidian shard artifact, b. get (and actually buy) the unique building, and c. do a quest that unlocks once you've accomplished both those things.

Once you've done that once, every run afterward you'll get the research tab when you buy the unique building.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
On holiday at the moment and too tuckered out from travel to play anything more complex than a clicker, so I picked up Realm Grinder again.

Currently on R4, unlocked mercs on my last reincarnation. My general strategy at the moment is Elves/Angel abdications for a bit -> Titans, wait for lucky lightning strikes -> Elves/Angel with Dwarfs -> Mercs for a bit -> reincarnate.

Is there any way of skipping past that titan phase, though? And if there isn't, is it better to build the minimum amount of building types that Titan boosts affect to maximize the lightning strike chance of hitting something good, or not?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Inadequately posted:

On holiday at the moment and too tuckered out from travel to play anything more complex than a clicker, so I picked up Realm Grinder again.

Currently on R4, unlocked mercs on my last reincarnation. My general strategy at the moment is Elves/Angel abdications for a bit -> Titans, wait for lucky lightning strikes -> Elves/Angel with Dwarfs -> Mercs for a bit -> reincarnate.

Is there any way of skipping past that titan phase, though? And if there isn't, is it better to build the minimum amount of building types that Titan boosts affect to maximize the lightning strike chance of hitting something good, or not?

Angels are pretty much completely useless except to get your total mana up for autocasting upgrades. If you use your excavations sparingly, you can go Druids instead of Titans, they're much more consistent.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Inadequately posted:

If I recall correctly, I just used diamond forge and/or moonshine. Those are slower but more consistent.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I...I think I actually need tier 3 spells next R. Thankfully, I will pick up T3 for CtA, GC, and SS (and probably brainwave) while the game's offline today.

I still have trouble affording even tier 2 SS and DB. The faction coin costs are too high. Is that going to get better as I go on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Emron posted:

I...I think I actually need tier 3 spells next R. Thankfully, I will pick up T3 for CtA, GC, and SS (and probably brainwave) while the game's offline today.

I still have trouble affording even tier 2 SS and DB. The faction coin costs are too high. Is that going to get better as I go on?

It is really easy to unlock spell tiers long before you have a hope of buying them. I have T5 CtA, T4 LB, and T4 GG and can barely hit T2 SS and DB.