Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Anything I should know for Hyrule Warriors: Legends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Any tips for Ratchet and Clank on PS4?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Something for The Witcher 3 regarding Blood and Wine and Heart of Stone:

*Hold on to every mutagen that you get during the course of the game. It is tempting to sell off all of the Monster-specific ones that you don't need for decoctions, but Blood and Wine has a use for all mutagens and it saves you farming if you grab and hold onto every one that you encounter. They're weightless so this isn't a big deal.

*In the same vein, you will probably get to a point of the main game where you feel like money doesn't matter any more and you don't need any more, but both DLC have some pretty major money sinks that you'll want to have plenty of money on hand for.

*Keep runes on hand for Heart of Stone as there is a pretty major mechanic that uses runes and if you're a dumbo like me who sold all his runes because he thought he wouldn't need them then you'll have to find new ones or spend a bunch of money buying them.

*The Viper Armor Set in Hearts of Stone is very missable unlike the other witcher gear sets and honestly if you're interested in having the set (it's good medium armor) then here's some spoiler-free indications on where to get them:

Armor diagrams: A guy will want you to talk to all of his friends, make sure you do and see what they're selling.
Steel sword: Make sure you look in every chest in the big vault.
Silver sword: When you're asked if you want to save a man's soul, go for it and look around. If you don't save his soul, then you'll miss out the sword.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 4, 2017

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Bishop Beo posted:

Any tips for Ratchet and Clank on PS4?

* Nothing is permanently missable, I think, and even if there is, that's what challenge mode is for.
* Any missing characterization (especially the Rangers) is slightly fleshed out in the movie, but not enough to make it important to watch.

That really is about it, for before I play type stuff.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anything for Endless Space 2? There is... a lot of information in this game

Mosch
Jul 30, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

- Things that would be basic functions in other games are gated behind research. Off-world Agribusiness enables Diplomacy with minor factions, Perfect Negotiations gives you access to actually useful diplomacy for the major factions. Baryonic Shielding gives you Warp Drive, which allows you to leave the starlanes. Galactic Commodities Exchange grants access to the marketplace for trading with other factions, Commercial Frameworks allows you to establish trade routes within your faction. Multi-Thread Management grants access to construction buyout, Maximized Exploitation grants the ability to convert production to dust. You also have to research how to exploit the strategic resources; just type the name of the resource you want to mine into the search box on the research screen to find the right tech.

- The marketplace is under F3 (Economy) -> Marketplace (near the top).

- Under F5 (Military Status) you can edit your army composition (in case you were wondering why you had no tanks after researching tanks), buy upgrades for your troops and change your available tactics. It's to the left, just under your strategic resources. I have 29 hours in this game and just found the screen yesterday... this is also where you design new ships.

- In the system management screen, click on your population icons (on the left-hand side, not on the planets) to open a screen that allows to use luxury resources to improve the chance of a certain type growing.

- There seems to be no direct way of removing population types (drat Cravers). I tend to ship them off via the starport, then draft them using chain gang.

- There's a shitload more stuff that's less than intuitive. Check the Endless Megathread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790182

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

theshim posted:

Anything I should know for Hyrule Warriors: Legends?

I got some help with this game from this thread a while ago and then proceeded to play it for like, 100 hours, so let me help back.

-Don't stress the My Fairy stuff too hard. It is wildly convoluted (the five traits each fairy gets randomly decides which handful of skills it'll learn, and there are lots of traits and even more skills, and you have to level those traits with food but only some foods, etc.) and not that big of a game changer anyway. Just pick one fairy for each element and stuff it full of food until it's a big level and you're good.

-Turn on Spotpass just the once and claim 6,000,000 rupees and a bunch of fairy food, which will last you through the campaign and a good chunk of Adventure Mode. You'll also get Medli, the bird girl from Wind Waker. Never used her much, but she seems alright.

-The rest of the paid DLC is not worth your time unless you sincerely love the characters and the games they come from, because you will have to grind out special mats and additional rupees from their new Adventure Modes to keep them updated.

-There's no reason not to have some kind of elixir going in most of your battles. Feel free to burn excess horns and hides or whatever common mats you have, as you will always find more.

-While everyone gets their time in at some point, the characters you're going to want to focus on are Link, Zelda, Impa, and Sheik. The other characters you pick up in the normal course of the campaign get most of their fair shakes in Adventure Mode. Linkle has her own subplot and is pretty important as well, but you're usually fighting in tandem with another one of those characters. Cia, Ganondorf, and the other Wind Waker characters also get subplots, but you can't even access those characters until then (plus, Cia and Ganon are very powerful even at lvl.1) so don't sweat it.

-Some characters really are just flat out better than others. If someone, or someone's combo, feels overpowered, it's because it is.

-It's tempting to use the Master Sword all the time when you get it, but don't. You can't unlock either of its skills until you have every other weapon in the game, so you may as well use weapons with skills that benefit you now.

-Speaking of weapon skills: EXP+, Material+, and Stars/Quality+ are all very nice to have on any weapon. Some characters have one really good combo, so having Combo (number)+ on that weapon is also quite handy. Secondary weapon +'s and elemental +'s are really situational, so feel free to give them a pass.

-Unlockable skills on weapons are going to be pure garbage for a while, until you've found higher quality weapons in the Adventure Modes.

-Adventure Mode is also hiding all the other heart pieces, full hearts, fairies, weapons, gold skulltulas and characters. Really, play this mode, or you are missing out.

-The Ganon boss fights have a trick to them that isn't readily obvious (or maybe it is and I'm dumb): he will use the Dodongo, Gohma, Manhandla, and Argorok moves in turn, but also be vulnerable to the same things they are. There is no trick to Manhandla, it's just an obnoxious and lethal fucker.

im cute fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 5, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Ainsley McTree posted:

From a post I made a few days ago:

quote:

Turn on detailed tooltips if you turned them off, mouse over everything, play an entire game with the ES2 mechanics only tutorial without ever closing it (it'll likely run out of things to show you by turn 50, unless you're slow to get into combat or invasions) and don't skim over any information unless it's quest or event flavor text. Doing that will get over 99% of the mechanics and systems in front of you in a reasonably comprehensible manner.

The emphasized part is particularly important when just starting out.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

anything for Farm For Your Life?

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I'm going be playing through Dungeon Siege again, and the wiki entry is a bit light on content. Anything worth knowing?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Some info for Life is Feudal: Forest Village

Don't expand too quickly. Make sure you have a glut of food before you build a whole bunch of houses. Starvation comes fast.
Always have someone working in the Lumberjack's station and, if you can, the charcoal kiln. The seamstress is also very valuable, as clothes will cut down significantly on the amount of firewood you'll need in the winter.
Go to the steam workshop and get the double walking speed, increased barn capacity and Old Growth Forests mods. They're QoL mods and make the game better. You don't gotta have them, but they're very good.
Build a school as soon as you can. Educated people work faster.
Also build a herbalist's hut ASAP. might not seem like a big deal, but you'll want those herbs when people start getting sick.
Don't bother with the gatherer's hut. Go for hunters instead. You're going to need the meat and hides.
Farms are your best friends. Always have a bunch of fields and farmers. Yes, the wait till harvest is long, but it's worth it. Have most of your fields doing potatoes/some other food crop, and another rotating between oats and flax.
The bakery is needed to go on expeditions, but it's not vital. The time it takes to make pies and bread is not worth breaking your back to get it done within the first 25 years of your town.

Slow and steady wins the race.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Silvergun1000 posted:

I'm going be playing through Dungeon Siege again, and the wiki entry is a bit light on content. Anything worth knowing?

The original? Biggest thing is that the game scales in a way which punishes branching out. Specialize your characters exclusively, don't even equip them with another kind of weapon because the equipment will outclass their growth almost instantly.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Silvergun1000 posted:

Honestly, the wiki tells you all you need to know. Dungeon Siege is not a deep game.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Any advice for a new player for Crusader Kings 2 with all dlc?

Good guides, starts, etc are welcome!

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Taking another stab at Last Remnant (pc) now that I can again. I vaguely remember there being some massive weirdness with character growths, but nothing else. How many hot tips are there?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Taking another stab at Last Remnant (pc) now that I can again. I vaguely remember there being some massive weirdness with character growths, but nothing else. How many hot tips are there?

the "basics" of tlr are... it's a saga game, the tldr is probably a thousand words long.

1) it's not important to keep your battle rank down, but you can make the game pretty frustrating if you let it get too high... but that requires some grinding.
2) every weapon has its own set of special attacks. you can learn multiple abilities from different weapons, but this entails the "some grinding" i mention in (1).
3) every special attack has a Power and a Technique version, based on the style class of the weapon. they are on an "alignment slider," so every time you use a given ability with Power style weapon equipped, its affinity slides towards Power and away from Technique. Power and Technique are unrelated to weapon class, there are Power Spears and Technique Spears. you absolutely should keep track of this because the mastery versions of both Power and Technique special attacks are significantly stronger than their base forms.
4) to upgrade your weapon, you need to visit the forge. for your allies to upgrade their weapons, you need to collect the enemy-drop items listed on their status screens. they will automatically upgrade their equipment next time you visit a town.
5) upgrading allies isn't always linear: there are a few characters who transition from str to mag equipment. you'll want to disable their weapon abilities so they only cast magic, in this case, so you need to pay a certain amount of attention to what their weapons change to after upgrading.
6) job classes are based on your stats and weapon/magic proficiencies. please build towards anything with [no instakill].
7) in battle, each union (group of fighters) gains SP equal to the total of the SP gain of every character in the union. fewer characters in a union mean it's easier to herd the game into doing what you want by nature of their options being limited. more characters means higher SP gain, which means they'll be using stronger special attacks more frequently.
8) try not to redo an area because you think you need to grind. the -only- time you should ever grind is when you need specific monster parts to upgrade one of your core units' weapons or for some sidequest poo poo.
9) if you care about them, do sidequests as they're listed in quests wiki. some of them will actually make the final boss harder, some will make him easier.
10) sometimes your allies will ask you for certain pieces of eqiupment. you really need to read about the consequences of this. you can accidentally end up changing someone's upgrade path into something really terrible--like oops my mage is now locked into a physical weapon that gives 0 magic attack--but sometimes it's requests like "if i get this, i'll unlock my ultimate attack." iirc each individual character will ever ask for a piece of equipment in your inventory once ever.
11) by that same token, sometimes your allies will ask you if you think they should learn a new skill set--"hey rush i've been thinking about learning how to use bombs" for example. in the pc version, there's no real reason to say no because if it turns out their new abilities are messing with your AI's priorities, you can just disable the entire skill tree.

in the xbox version, they were stuck with them forever and would poo poo up their skill queue with Red Potion when you really, really, really need david to punch something with his shield instead oops

*12*) this is a trick that the game pretty much never mentions, but eventually, you'll get the ability to use Omnistrike (and unique skills like it on other characters). while these abilities are queued, all physical-type attacks automatically fail against that character (and, iirc, status effects, too), and you'll always get a timed hit counter chance. they can still be hit by magic, and once they use it, they lose these special immunities against any other enemies who have yet to act that round.
**13**) you can disable skills! if you need someone to stop using a certain skill, like you want to grind up (extremely hidden) exp for a new ability but you're having trouble because the AI keeps using the older one? just disable all the ones you don't need to train up and it should start using the ability you want.

by similar logic, if there's a really tough enemy who uses annoying special moves and you would benefit from locking down its SP regen so it can only punch things, you can disable every other option a character (and everyone in their union) has so its only options are either to attack or to use the ability you need to burn the boss's SP out.

eventually, rush will have access to every basic spell and skill in the game (meaning he can level them all if you so chose). this also means his AI's options will become unbearable cluttered. disable that poo poo. disable it. tell bombs to gently caress off

oh and all those old spells that raise morale, but now they're terrible because you have new skills that raise morale way higher? disable 'em. micromanaging your skill list is a great addition to the game's system.

appendix a
the best thing you can do is read the wiki as you need it.

what you need to know about sidequests:
http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Availability_of_Side_Quests

what you need to know about equipment--stats, class, upgrade path, etc:
http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Equipment

what you need to know about classes--requirements and benefits:
http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Classes#Regular_Classes

unique and super-powerful arts that only certain characters can use:
http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Special_Arts

battle rank math (warning: :psyduck:):
http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_Rank

appendix b
QUESTS THAT MAKE THE LAST BOSS HARDER:
1) at hatred's end
2) frustrations

QUESTS THAT MAKE THE LAST BOSS EASIER:
1) the ancient war
2) ufo
3) the tablet of marshall
4) the fiery revolt

QUEST THAT MAKES THE LAST BOSS gently caress YOU IN EVERY HOLE
1) things unchangeable

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 7, 2017

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm gonna do all those things. Just kidding. Guess my hunch was right in that this game has a bunch of hidden systems. I never knew they only asked for 1 item ever, that's possibly dumb and gay.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I never knew they only asked for 1 item ever, that's possibly dumb and gay.

i should rephrase that: if you get an item they could potentially want (like, everyone will want a nice piece of armor if you have it on hand), they'll ask. the next time you get equipment they might want in your inventory, they'll ask for that, too, but only the one time. so if pagus asks for a silk robe and you say no, that's ok; maybe he'll ask for some legging later, and he'll still ask for megalore later on. but if you tell him "lol gently caress off pagus" at that time, he will stay hosed off and will never have access to his unique attack.

alternatively, if you don't want your little sister to permanently switch weapons to a katana, don't let her have it when she asks for the strongest weapon in the entire game*. but if you say no the one time, she won't bother you about it again.

they will constantly bug you to help them hunt for another upgrade component for their weapons. this is a hanger-on from the game's sordid days on the xbox. the status screen didn't list what they needed to upgrade their equipment, so their pestering was a "hint" towards one of the components they need to get their next upgrade. and hey it's a little annoying, it's small fish compared to how great the fix we got is.

*actually do if you aren't doing katanas with rush, i don't think anyone else is actually even able to ask for it :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 7, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Something obnoxious I just learned:

Dragon Quest VII (3DS)

Don't trust the helpful things your companions say! They are given based on plot points that have occurred, but they don't check other things like your inventory to make sure they're giving you the right information. Much of this game involves gathering fragments of stone plates, and sometimes you need to take two or three with you somewhere, but at times when you have only picked up one (with no real indication of how many more you may need, if any) your companion will tell you it's time to head out. HE IS MISLEADING YOU DON'T TRUST HIM

I really dig the website, but for all that it is useful, it can be rather clunky. Why separate the games list into multiple pages? You've already divided them into columns, which I think more than negate the "cluttering" that otherwise might be there, at least with the current number of games owned. I suppose when several thousand of games are there, it might be better to divide them into pages. But anyway, since they are divided, why not divide them alphabetically? I'm trying to find something that starts with S but I have to click on "next page" three different times until I find it.

I mean, it's hardly worth complaining about that I had to spend six extra seconds looking for something. But I'm just saying, it seems unnecessarily cumbersome.

credburn fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 8, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

credburn posted:

Something obnoxious I just learned:

Dragon Quest VII (3DS)

Don't trust the helpful things your companions say! They are given based on plot points that have occurred, but they don't check other things like your inventory to make sure they're giving you the right information. Much of this game involves gathering fragments of stone plates, and sometimes you need to take two or three with you somewhere, but at times when you have only picked up one (with no real indication of how many more you may need, if any) your companion will tell you it's time to head out. HE IS MISLEADING YOU DON'T TRUST HIM

I really dig the website, but for all that it is useful, it can be rather clunky. Why separate the games list into multiple pages? You've already divided them into columns, which I think more than negate the "cluttering" that otherwise might be there, at least with the current number of games owned. I suppose when several thousand of games are there, it might be better to divide them into pages. But anyway, since they are divided, why not divide them alphabetically? I'm trying to find something that starts with S but I have to click on "next page" three different times until I find it.

I mean, it's hardly worth complaining about that I had to spend six extra seconds looking for something. But I'm just saying, it seems unnecessarily cumbersome.

The radar will let you know if any tablets remain in the area and if you're feeling stuck then there's a menu option called "next tablet" or something that specifically tells you where any remaining tablets are.

My big advice is fast track your hero to a paladin or a sage. You'll lose the character best considered a party healer right when the game gets hard as balls.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Question about Dead Space 1:

I know I have to disable V-Sync, but if I recall, I have to do that from an outside launcher because there either is no in-game option or it doesn't work. Is that right?

The White Dragon posted:

the "basics" of tlr are... it's a saga game, the tldr is probably a thousand words long.

1) it's not important to keep your battle rank down, but you can make the game pretty frustrating if you let it get too high... but that requires some grinding.

Basically, fighting enemies which are in your way is fine, clearing the entire level, and then doing it again, and again is discouraged. Your stats go up based on the difficulty of the fight, but battle rank goes up based only on the number of battles.

quote:

2) every weapon has its own set of special attacks. you can learn multiple abilities from different weapons, but this entails the "some grinding" i mention in (1).

It's best to stick to one style of weapon.

quote:

3) every special attack has a Power and a Technique version, based on the style class of the weapon. they are on an "alignment slider," so every time you use a given ability with Power style weapon equipped, its affinity slides towards Power and away from Technique. Power and Technique are unrelated to weapon class, there are Power Spears and Technique Spears. you absolutely should keep track of this because the mastery versions of both Power and Technique special attacks are significantly stronger than their base forms.

This is something to basically ignore. It's unnecessary to know. The special attacks only come once you have the final upgrade for that weapon line, with high skill in it, and not all weapons even have a special attack. This is not something which is doable without a guide and a lot of managing.

quote:

5) upgrading allies isn't always linear: there are a few characters who transition from str to mag equipment. you'll want to disable their weapon abilities so they only cast magic, in this case, so you need to pay a certain amount of attention to what their weapons change to after upgrading.

Party Members are generally good at magic or melee. Disable arts you don't want them to use.

quote:

9) if you care about them, do sidequests as they're listed in quests wiki. some of them will actually make the final boss harder, some will make him easier.

There are only two quests to make the final boss harder, and one of them is a punishment for siding with someone who is obviously wrong three separate times. It's not even required for the "Complete all sidequests" sidequest. Basically do most or all of the sidequests. Especially any where a city is in peril.

quote:

*12*) this is a trick that the game pretty much never mentions, but eventually, you'll get the ability to use Omnistrike (and unique skills like it on other characters). while these abilities are queued, all physical-type attacks automatically fail against that character (and, iirc, status effects, too), and you'll always get a timed hit counter chance. they can still be hit by magic, and once they use it, they lose these special immunities against any other enemies who have yet to act that round.

I think it's a base 98% dodge chance when a special move is queued up and it does work against magic too.

quote:

by similar logic, if there's a really tough enemy who uses annoying special moves and you would benefit from locking down its SP regen so it can only punch things, you can disable every other option a character (and everyone in their union) has so its only options are either to attack or to use the ability you need to burn the boss's SP out.

There are only two ways to prevent an enemy from regenerating its AP, and one is Land Mine, which is finicky and doesn't apply that always, and Cachexia, which is the ultimate Hex art, learned pretty late-game.

quote:

eventually, rush will have access to every basic spell and skill in the game (meaning he can level them all if you so chose). this also means his AI's options will become unbearable cluttered. disable that poo poo. disable it. tell bombs to gently caress off

Eventually, though. This means some of the good ones he learns so late that they'll never be that useful until NG+. Such as Hexes.

quote:

QUEST THAT MAKES THE LAST BOSS gently caress YOU IN EVERY HOLE
1) things unchangeable

Sort-of. I mean, it does make the last boss harder, but that's because that quest is the flag to indicate that you've completed every quest. The quest itself is meaningless. It's a challenge to be sure, but that can be fun too.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 8, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Question about Dead Space 1:

I know I have to disable V-Sync, but if I recall, I have to do that from an outside launcher because there either is no in-game option or it doesn't work. Is that right?

Pretty sure you can turn it off in-game. It's just that if you want/need it on for whatever reason without ruining the game you can force it on through the Nvidia control panel or equivalent.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

John Murdoch posted:

Pretty sure you can turn it off in-game. It's just that if you want/need it on for whatever reason without ruining the game you can force it on through the Nvidia control panel or equivalent.

Ah, okay, thanks, I knew I did something like that years ago when I played it, but I didn't remember exactly what.

EDIT: I DID have to do something else, disabling V-sync in-game created a game-breaking bug so I had to force-enable it in graphics card settings for that .EXE.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 9, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Years ago I bought Stalker: shadow over Chernobyl but I never got into it. Time to change that. But I'm struggling a little.

1. I need to go north for a quest, but the obvious path is guarded by soldiers who appear to shoot on sight. Did I gently caress something up or are these soldiers always hostile?
2. next to the bridge guarded by soldiers there is a tunnel 'mined' by electricity anomalies. Do I have the gear to get through because my attempts so far have failed.
3. Given my problem with these soldiers, I also found a base/farm/.... south of the starting town that also has shoot-on-sight soldiers. Can/should I go through this place or is that considered a high-gear area? Also: I tried going through it once, got killed, but it looked a bit like the soldiers I had killed on the road not far from the base had respawned. Is that something that happens?
4. Overall, Is this a "every shot counts so make sure it hits" or a "pray-and-spray" game in terms of ammo conservation?
5. Is it normal that the starting pistol sucks donkey balls, or do I suck at aiming the stupid thing?
6. I tried sneaking up on & knifing bandits but they heard me every time. Is this a fool's errant?
7. Crates: does every crate have a (very low % chance) of loot, or just ones in specific areas? What tell-tale signs are there that indicate loot?
8. I got an icon that indicated I needed to eat. Is there a hunger meter somewhere?

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 10, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

double nine posted:

Years ago I bought Stalker: shadow over Chernobyl but I never got into it. Time to change that. But I'm struggling a little.

1. I need to go north for a quest, but the obvious path is guarded by soldiers who appear to shoot on sight. Did I gently caress something up or are these soldiers always hostile?
2. next to the bridge guarded by soldiers there is a tunnel 'mined' by electricity anomalies. Do I have the gear to get through because my attempts so far have failed.
3. Given my problem with these soldiers, I also found a base/farm/.... south of the starting town that also has shoot-on-sight soldiers. Can/should I go through this place or is that considered a high-gear area? Also: I tried going through it once, got killed, but it looked a bit like the soldiers I had killed on the road not far from the base had respawned. Is that something that happens?
4. Overall, Is this a "every shot counts so make sure it hits" or a "pray-and-spray" game in terms of ammo conservation?
5. Is it normal that the starting pistol sucks donkey balls, or do I suck at aiming the stupid thing?
6. I tried sneaking up on & knifing bandits but they heard me every time. Is this a fool's errant?
7. Crates: does every crate have a (very low % chance) of loot, or just ones in specific areas? What tell-tale signs are there that indicate loot?
8. I got an icon that indicated I needed to eat. Is there a hunger meter somewhere?

1. Yes, they're bandits. Use your binoculars on unidentified people to see their disposition. Red guys will shoot on sight and your map will depict this too.

2. Throwing bolts triggers anomalies. You can run through the tunnel if your timing is good.

3. Clearing out that place is part of the first quest. Try to do the first quests you get when you enter a friendly area in a new map. They usually involve clearing out a hostile area to hold as a base. And yes, enemies will respawn especially bandits who seem to beeline friendly areas like the hangar in the center of the map.

4. Early game you want to conserve ammo for rifles. You'll get plenty pistol and shotgun ammo. Eventually peon soldiers start carrying good stuff and you can main a rifle and never fear running out of bullets, especially if you farm areas where bandits attack and raid their bodies.

5. Starting pistol sucks, shorty shotgun sucks harder. There's no stun animations in this game so aim at center mass and click as fast as possible until they fall down. Actually it's important you always aim at center mass, this game takes an RPG approach to ballistics so even though you shoot "straight" your shot will veer somewhere off target.

6. Stealth is broken. There might be a mod that fixes it but use stealth to try and line up a headshot, not as a room clearing tactic.

7. If it's hidden, in the middle of an anomaly field, or someone tells you about it there's something good inside. I don't know what the percentage is but you're find scrounging bodies.

8. No hunger meter, just eat when you see the symbol.

gently caress, now I'm reinstalling this game.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 10, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Someone mentioned it in a thread, maybe this one, but what's the best stalker to start with if you've never played one? I tried one ages ago (shadow of chernobyl, it appears) but I couldn't get into it because I'm spoiled by modern FPS games that don't hate the player.

Still, i like the idea of the series; is there a better entry into the series to start with, or are there must-have mods that I'm missing?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Someone mentioned it in a thread, maybe this one, but what's the best stalker to start with if you've never played one? I tried one ages ago (shadow of chernobyl, it appears) but I couldn't get into it because I'm spoiled by modern FPS games that don't hate the player.

Still, i like the idea of the series; is there a better entry into the series to start with, or are there must-have mods that I'm missing?

Pripyat is the most modern but it still hates you. If you don't like that you won't like the others.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hmm...guess I can always play metro again

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

al-azad posted:

quote:

3. Clearing out that place is part of the first quest. Try to do the first quests you get when you enter a friendly area in a new map. They usually involve clearing out a hostile area to hold as a base. And yes, enemies will respawn especially bandits who seem to beeline friendly areas like the hangar in the center of the map.

Thanks for the info. On the above topic I think we're talking about a different place. I'm fairly sure I've done the quest/location you're talking about. I've made some screenshots below to clarify where I'm referring to:

Additionally, how much of a resource concern is cash? Do I dash to the vendor after clearing each location to sell the random guns/excess or useless loot or do I ignore that crap and just plow through the plot, occasionally selling what happens to be on hand?

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 10, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That's actually the military keeping you from leaving the zone. I never messed with them but I can imagine there's good poo poo there once you come back stronger.

Cash isn't a bother and most of your stuff will come from scrounging. Artifacts are your big money maker so leave behind big, heavy stuff and take ammo and grenades.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Counter point - Wipe out that military blockade as soon as you feel able. A couple well placed grenades will solve everything even if they are rare early game. You'll find a nice rifle that will at least last you until you reach the central hub.

A random tip that I found useful is to hoard the poo poo out of dart rounds and slug rounds for your shotty. These are gonna be your "Oh gently caress" button for awhile. Don't be afraid to use them if you need them, but keep a few. Dart rounds in particular will probably be one of your most accurate weapons too.

I could actually use a few tips on where to go from there. I've gotten to main town a few times, but always get paralysed with indecision about what faction to join, if any, and where to go next.

If someone could rundown the factions pros and cons I would appreciate it. My gut tells me to stay independent, but I know there are like a dozen endings and I assume this choice might factor in to it.

Also assuming everyone involved in this particular chat uses either Complete or one of the other mods.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 10, 2017

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Zushio posted:

If someone could rundown the factions pros and cons I would appreciate it. My gut tells me to stay independent, but I know there are like a dozen endings and I assume this choice might factor in to it.

Off the top of my head, blurred over the course of three games, you have:

Duty - they believe the zone should be destroyed and no one allowed into it
Pros - they have the best equipment in the game
Cons - literally fascists

Freedom - Believe the people should be able to do with the zone whatever they want, there might be neat stuff in there!
Pros - Pretty chill guys, won't ever bother you too much
Cons - don't have the best equipment in the game.

Ecologists - want to study the zone, see what benefits it can have, and share the knowledge with everyone.
Pros - Have good artifacts and scientific equipment
Cons - not a fighting force

Clear Sky - Uhhhhhh they existed at one point?
Pros - They saved you from that emission that one time.
Cons - They're all dead

Monolith - The Monolith are *SPOILERS*
Pros - Even better stuff than Duty on occasion
Cons - Not actually joinable

In the end your choice will really boil down to Duty vs Freedom, and even then in any of the games it's not a real game changer. Your ending is mostly determined by other stuff.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I picked up Starbound and was wondering if the stuff in the wiki still applies.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

At least with Shadow of Chernobyl your choice of faction doesn't matter in the ending.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

quote:

Thanks for the info. On the above topic I think we're talking about a different place. I'm fairly sure I've done the quest/location you're talking about. I've made some screenshots below to clarify where I'm referring to:

Additionally, how much of a resource concern is cash? Do I dash to the vendor after clearing each location to sell the random guns/excess or useless loot or do I ignore that crap and just plow through the plot, occasionally selling what happens to be on hand?

I always take out that military blockade, it's your first chance to get a gun that doesn't totally suck. You can get through that anomaly tunnel but you'll have to take on someone who outguns you sooner rather than later anyways.

If possible, try to kill one of the patrollers away from the blockade itself so you get his gun to take the rest of the guys on. Leaning in and out of cover is mandatory and you may have to quicksave scum, don't feel bad. Stalker gets easier as the game goes on and you get better stuff, the start is brutal. Despite that there's some bullet spread, I think it's worth it to aim for headshots. There's some armor hidden in the starting village that might also help. It's in a roof, you have to climb up one house and jump to another. In the NW corner I believe.

Edit: is this the guys under the bridge or the base to the south of the starting village? Kill the guys under the bridge, the base to the south is too strong to take on until later game.

Edit 2:

Zushio posted:

I could actually use a few tips on where to go from there. I've gotten to main town a few times, but always get paralysed with indecision about what faction to join, if any, and where to go next.

The ending has nothing to do with your choice of faction. There are two endings, one where you do everything you can to find out everything you can about Strelok before you go to Pripyat and one where you don't.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 11, 2017

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Pop a couple shots at the military blockade and lead them back to the starter camp. Collect whatever is leftover

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Shooting things in Stalker always felt so good because of the lack of cheap stunlock mechanics and the sheer messiness of the ballistics model. It forced you to rely on overkill and just emptying a whole clip into people just in case. Wasn't it also one of the games without hitscans and actual ricochets?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

For Stalker, once you get a rifle with an underslung grenade launcher, save some launcher ammo for "special" emergencies. Bandits and military are not this.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

gohuskies posted:

Edit: is this the guys under the bridge or the base to the south of the starting village? Kill the guys under the bridge, the base to the south is too strong to take on until later game.

I actually cleared the base a few hours in on my first play through when I didn't know any better. The key to it was really to just gently caress about the tents to do hit and run tactica, once you pick off a few and get an assault rifle you basically just wait, murder anyone who comes into your LoS and then slowly creep forward. By the time you're done with the tents, you've already pulled most of the mobs in the area there, so all that's remaining is a few chucklefucks inside the building and one or two in towers if you haven't sniped them off already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I got Fallout 3 on sale. I read the wiki page but being a Bethesda game is there anything like a recommended mod for a first playthrough that fixes bug and does minor improvements/balances?

Also, I heard something about the DLC dong weird stuff to the encounter tables. Should I disable the DLC modules until I clear the main story or level up?