Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Anyone have a link to that story about a guy trying to sell his bit coins, and the best he could find was some dude meeting at a Starbucks and offering bags of Amazon gift cards? And then he could never cash out more than maybe a hundred dollars or so, even though he had many hundreds if not thousands in coins. Whenever I see people say they're worth whatever amount of money, I always think of that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Bitcoins, A GBS Page 1 thread. What has Bitcoin proper's overall volatility been like over the years? I have no idea where to see these things

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anyone have a link to that story about a guy trying to sell his bit coins, and the best he could find was some dude meeting at a Starbucks and offering bags of Amazon gift cards? And then he could never cash out more than maybe a hundred dollars or so, even though he had many hundreds if not thousands in coins. Whenever I see people say they're worth whatever amount of money, I always think of that story.

It's So Easy

Easy Like Sunday Morning

Easy Come, Easy Go

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
I just sold my Nintendo Switch to buy bitcoins. If you think about it, that is free bitcoins.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

QuarkJets posted:

again, there's nothing wrong about laughing at ross "mycrimes.txt" ulbricht, mark "did nothing wrong" karpeles being so not-wrong that he came out of Japanese prison looking super slim and good, or super-agent CARL MARK FORCE IV

Sure there is. Focusing on stuff that sounds bad / is easy to make fun of on the internet, but doesn't make a big difference in the grand scheme of things, is precisely how goons were wrong about Bitcoins from day 1.

Yeah all that stuff happened, and if you could weather the dumb churn new things have when they get introduced (which included that stuff) now it's worth $3k. Big deal, goons were full of poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Sure there is. Focusing on stuff that sounds bad / is easy to make fun of on the internet, but doesn't make a big difference in the grand scheme of things, is precisely how goons were wrong about Bitcoins from day 1.

Yeah all that stuff happened, and if you could weather the dumb churn new things have when they get introduced (which included that stuff) now it's worth $3k. Big deal, goons were full of poo poo.

It's worth 3k if you can sell it and withdraw the money and hold it in your hand

Otherwise it isn't worth poo poo because it's not backed by goddamn anything also shut up

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also Ross keeping a literal diary of his time running a million dollar drug empire is in fact hilarious

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's worth 3k if you can sell it and withdraw the money and hold it in your hand

Otherwise it isn't worth poo poo because it's not backed by goddamn anything also shut up

Hmm front page articles in paper after paper and more people buying bitcoin and AMD cards but this dude has seen through the charade and understands its true worthlessness. Can you HOLD a bitcoin?? Checkmate goons, checkmate.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
That a small fraction of Bitcoin users can successfully turn their butts into money during a marginal trading bubble is pretty tangential to the fact that Bitcoin businesses are near universally scams or drug markets and the community thinks a protocol that handles single digit tx/sec can become the global currency.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hmm front page articles in paper after paper and more people buying bitcoin and AMD cards but this dude has seen through the charade and understands its true worthlessness. Can you HOLD a bitcoin?? Checkmate goons, checkmate.

On the other hand

[–]coinlord88redditor for 0 hours [score hidden] an hour ago

DO NOT USE Localbitcoins. I have tried to trade iTunes gift cards on their site numerous times and EVERY SINGLE TIME I GET SCAMMED. I am not a rookie trader, their system is FLAWED, and their support is the ABSOLUTE WORST.

The fact that I can upload an iTunes gift card to a TRUSTED Bitcoin seller. Have them take the balance off my iTunes gift card, and then say I gave them an empty card, and have LOCALBITCOINS SIDE WITH THE SCAMMER IS ABSURD.

It's worth three grand but you have to get it in iTunes gift cards

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also "more people buying Bitcoin" needs a citation seeing as the activity plummeted after Chinese laws changed and the bots stopped trading to move money out of the country

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How much money have you actually made on Bitcoin

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Zerilan posted:

That a small fraction of Bitcoin users can successfully turn their butts into money during a marginal trading bubble is pretty tangential to the fact that Bitcoin businesses are near universally scams or drug markets and the community thinks a protocol that handles single digit tx/sec can become the global currency.

A good summary of what goons have been repeating for roughly 4-5 years even as the exchanges change, the amt of money being traded increases, governments start using it, and crises come and go without undermining the whole thing.

Here's what's cool about a Correct Opinion like this one. You just dust it off the shelf whenever the topic comes up and post it. It never expires and it never becomes out of date. You just post the correct opinion and you move on, having posted correctly. And here it is, the correct opinion from 2012 - 2017 I guess. And going.

Everything is a scam, yaknow, except for real investors buying bitcoin tracking funds on real exchanges that let them buy quasi bitcoins and this dude never needs to update the script to factor this stuff, it's just not important.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ham Sandwiches posted:

A good summary of what goons have been repeating for roughly 4-5 years even as the exchanges change, the amt of money being traded increases, governments start using it, and crises come and go without undermining the whole thing.

Here's what's cool about a Correct Opinion like this one. You just dust it off the shelf whenever the topic comes up and post it. It never expires and it never becomes out of date. You just post the correct opinion and you move on, having posted correctly. And here it is, the correct opinion from 2012 - 2017 I guess. And going.

Everything is a scam, yaknow, except for real investors buying bitcoin tracking funds on real exchanges that let them buy quasi bitcoins and this dude never needs to update the script to factor this stuff, it's just not important.

The exchanges change because so many of them go belly up you numbskull

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hey dude the guy that works in a comic book store so he can buy more comic books probably should concern themselves with "maybe this is a way I didn't have to put in all the time in the comic book store"

Here's how much money I've made:
enough that I don't work in a loving comic book store lmao

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also LMBO that you don't realize the difference between people speculating on the actual market which is regulated and idiots spending money on pounds sperging

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hey dude the guy that works in a comic book store so he can buy more comic books probably should concern themselves with "maybe this is a way I didn't have to put in all the time in the comic book store"

Here's how much money I've made:
enough that I don't work in a loving comic book store lmao

I like my job quite a bit, also how much did you make on bitcoin

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Trade volume in btc's the lowest it's been in like 4 years and took like a 95% drop the moment Chinese bots stopped trading with each other lol

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's a good idea to spend your short and finite time in a store selling comic books instead of say, having your GPU make you free money out of thin air l m a o.

Just imagine how much more time you'd have to do stuff if you had mined a few bitcoins and could exchange them for $3000 each right now.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

ahh the ultimate pwn - "oh yeah, you must also have the wrong type of ram, yourself"

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Zerilan posted:

Trade volume in btc's the lowest it's been in like 4 years and took like a 95% drop the moment Chinese bots stopped trading with each other lol

I believe your information may be secondhand and out of date. If it's not I'm real interested to read more details about this :)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's a good idea to spend your short and finite time in a store selling comic books instead of say, having your GPU make you free money out of thin air l m a o.

Just imagine how much more time you'd have to do stuff if you had mined a few bitcoins and could exchange them for $3000 each right now.

iTunes gift cards can't pay bills also why is doing something you enjoy bad

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

ahh the ultimate pwn - "oh yeah, you must also have the wrong type of ram, yourself"

I just want to know to settle my own curiosity man

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'd like to know this as well. Everyone keeps saying that you can buy low and sell high, but when you sell, someone else has to buy. What happened to the people that bought in before a crash?

Also I'm about a year behind on the YOSPOS thread (I read it in my downtime at work and at the gym). Whatever happened to Bitcoin Core, Classic, and XT?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I believe your information may be secondhand and out of date. If it's not I'm real interested to read more details about this :)

Chinese currency controls kicked in around January 23rd, 2017

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

exploded mummy posted:

Chinese currency controls kicked in around January 23rd, 2017

Ah so the resumption of normal trading while bitcoin has been appreciating for the past 6 months once the 4 month period of anomalous trading came to an end, as they tend to do.

But it's important to frame it as a catastrophic drop in trading volume with no other context or explanation. Hmm. Do you think that, maybe, that is misleading?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ah so the resumption of normal trading while bitcoin has been appreciating for the past 6 months once the 4 month period of anomalous trading came to an end, as they tend to do.

But it's important to frame it as a catastrophic drop in trading volume with no other context or explanation. Hmm. Do you think that, maybe, that is misleading?

Sell! Sell! Sell!

Remember that one? Lol

True now too

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

If you could weather all the ways you could have lost, you would have won !!

So, Ham Sandwich. You never did reveal:

* how much money you'd made from acting per your advice
* what your crypto holdings were.

As others note:

mojo1701a posted:

I'd like to know this as well. Everyone keeps saying that you can buy low and sell high, but when you sell, someone else has to buy. What happened to the people that bought in before a crash?

If you're going to come to this thread and give crypto advice, you really owe it to the people you're advising to give the proof of the pudding. I'd hate to think you were giving advice so worthless you weren't following it yourself.

Also, Ross keeping a literal loving diary of his crimes is actually hilarious.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

divabot posted:

So, Ham Sandwich. You never did reveal:

* how much money you'd made from acting per your advice
* what your crypto holdings were.

Do you remember the part where I said I would not? It seems odd that you keep asking for something I clearly specified I would not provide. I wonder what you might be trying to accomplish?

quote:

If you're going to come to this thread and give crypto advice, you really owe it to the people you're advising to give the proof of the pudding. I'd hate to think you were giving advice so worthless you weren't following it yourself.

Uh, no.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Help me understand something. If you think bitcoins are dumb you are justified in posting whatever you want and it's cool. Just post on SA following the consensus.

If you think those people are wrong about how dumb bitcoins are, you have to provide proof of being a bitcoin investor and your earnings or losses.

Obviously you're not this retarded, so what are you really trying to accomplish?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Do you remember the part where I said I would not?

Indeed I do. However, it still remains you're advising people to do things you yourself don't do.

But if you do do them, please tell!

And if you don't, then actually you do need to explain why everyone else should do these things, when you don't yourself.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Oh good Hammy is back! :dance::neckbeard:

You're the funniest thing to happen to the Bitcoin threads since Bitfinex stopped USD withdrawals!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ham Sandwiches posted:

normal trading my dude its at its lowest point in two years also people did in fact explain the drop in trading volume

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Eww I just discovered that the gas station less than a half-kilometre from work has a Bitcoin ATM. Even worse, a guy filling up his car beside me wore an Eagles t-shirt.

It's down the road from McMaster University, so I assume he's hoping to take advantage of local college libertarians and techbros.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

A tiny percentage drop from a sell off that the market corrected for within minutes? I mean like, it does cross the "significant" line but it's nothing you wouldn't see in any currency outside of the big strong first world ones. Misleading chart/10.

god damnit you're the closest thing to a cool mod we have right now don't be a fuckin' buttcoiner lmao

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

divabot posted:

Indeed I do. However, it still remains you're advising people to do things you yourself don't do.

But if you do do them, please tell!

And if you don't, then actually you do need to explain why everyone else should do these things, when you don't yourself.

So you can post that bitcoins are dumb without having to back it up. You don't have to have bought any bitcoins and lost money on them, but you can make the claim anyway.

If you say "I think these claims are overblown" you have to be buying bitcoins yourself or it's somehow inconsistent.

So: Spreading FUD about something you have no investment in is fine. Saying "I don't think these claims are accurate" cannot be done until you prove that you have an investment in the item in contention.

How did you come up with this retarded standard? How? And why do you keep trying to apply it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Divabot is literally writing a book about this you should pick someone else to do the OH YOU CANT BACK THAT IP CAN YOH thing at

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Divabot is literally writing a book about this you should pick someone else to do the OH YOU CANT BACK THAT IP CAN YOH thing at

Maybe he can write a book about his idiotic double standard that he's trying to advocate like it's not dumb and it's not a double standard :confused:

The posters that post poo poo about bitcoin do so without any knowledge or direct investment. Trying to come up with some standard where you literally can't disagree with them unless you prove your investment is maybe the dumbest thing I've read in some time on this website.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

OMGVBFLOL posted:

god damnit you're the closest thing to a cool mod we have right now don't be a fuckin' buttcoiner lmao

Always knew he had libertarian sympathies ever since he named himself Jeffrey of YOSPOS instead of YOSPOS Jeffrey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
People back up whtlat they're saying you just have it off as second hand because it's not about how strong and powerful Bitcoin is while also talking about some other guy who said he withdrew a bunch of money

• Locked thread