Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Aaah the memories. After the cataphract tower fell I was trapped in the sky somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nalin posted:

This is all I have:

http://imgur.com/a/6ohOf

My videos of the event are gone, and the video that used to be on YouTube was deleted.
:love: That is better than I have left. That is the stuff of legend!

Willfrey posted:

Aaah the memories. After the cataphract tower fell I was trapped in the sky somehow
:pgi: werent there a bunch of people stuck in the sky? Overall it was just fantastic.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes, that's exactly what I said.

Evasive isn't factored into the hit percentages so an AI that looks for the best possible hit percentage won't take evasive into account.

The enemy opposition dropping everything to keep turning their backs on my heavies to try and shoot a limbless evasive skill commando multiple turns, definitely helped me feel better after three alpha strikes to the back of their Orion did basically gently caress all rather than "No guys, flanking with a light will totally shred Assaults!". As I in turn just ignored their Urbie shooting my heavies in the back half the time.

My own personal experience so far being "No headshot rolls? No reason to worry about lights flanks on either team". So while once they do get hit they will quickly crumple like imitation tinfoil, at the very least when limits force me to bring a light I can take advantage of the AI preferring an "easy target" so my REAL mechs can get a free flank shot or two.

Indirect missiles from a Trebuchet are a pain in the rear end though. AI seems real good with them considering I can lob 80%+ indirect fire via sensor lock missiles from an Orion+catapult into a mech multiple turns and MAYBE I'll make it unsteady between it's brace resets, but one salvo over a hill from their single Treb and my Catapult immediately goes from zero to unsteady (And the 2nd or 3rd blows off one of their launchers). Though that, as much as anything, may simply be my usual RNJesus luck at play.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 7, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Section Z posted:

The enemy opposition dropping everything to keep turning their backs on my heavies to try and shoot a limbless evasive skill commando multiple turns, definitely helped me feel better after three alpha strikes to the back of their Orion did basically gently caress all rather than "No guys, flanking with a light will totally shred Assaults!". As I in turn just ignored their Urbie shooting my heavies in the back half the time.

My own personal experience so far being "No headshot rolls? No reason to worry about lights flanks on either team". So while once they do get hit they will quickly crumple like imitation tinfoil, at the very least when limits force me to bring a light I can take advantage of the AI preferring an "easy target" so my REAL mechs can get a free flank shot or two.

In fairness, who among us wouldn't drop everything for Operation Shoot Metal Babby?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

golden bubble posted:

That's just an old holdover most roleplaying games. The AI does not know the meaning of "give up" or "retreat". Be it XCOM or any RPG game, AI enemies always fight to the death unless there is an explicit system to force them to run away or give up early. Though I don't think it would be that hard to implement a different system. Create a retreat AI alongside the default AI. When a mech takes more than X% internal damage, or Y pilot hits, transfer control of the mech to the retreat AI. Then create some sort of battlevalue 3.0 to roughly approximate combat power. When the player party's combat power exceeds the AI's party's combat power exceeds by a big enough margin, transfer control of all mechs to the retreat AI. Then you can have some special missions where you know the enemy must fight to the death where the retreat AI is disabled. Hard cutoffs like this are probably exploitable, but they should be good enough to resemble a player's responses, even if they don't follow a player's logic.

This only makes sense if the AI retreating has a concrete effect on the player. If you have a campaign where surviving enemy forces need to be dealt with later (like the half-armies made up of shattered units you see in the Total War games) then the enemy getting off the field is a pain in the rear end. If you're not going to see them again? Then it just becomes a way for the player to push the enemy into retreat mode and select the one mech that he will engage to salvage.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

In fairness, who among us wouldn't drop everything for Operation Shoot Metal Babby?

It's probably half the reason to bring Multi-shot, honestly :v:

Maybe I should deliberately set up the enemy to have a Jenner since it's namedropped so much. I realized in basically sticking with giving the enemy Presets for the most part between "Whatever fits in there so I can fight an Atlas". I've been shot in the back frequently to no consequence/Headshot from the front at their maximum range by basically every enemy light BUT the Jenner.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This only makes sense if the AI retreating has a concrete effect on the player. If you have a campaign where surviving enemy forces need to be dealt with later (like the half-armies made up of shattered units you see in the Total War games) then the enemy getting off the field is a pain in the rear end. If you're not going to see them again? Then it just becomes a way for the player to push the enemy into retreat mode and select the one mech that he will engage to salvage.

Yeah. For as much as I've made :spergin: posts about Player scarcity vs enemy scarcity and how it's all just a flea circus. It's just much more clean cut gameplay for fight to the death enemies, unless you are already building things from the ground up to accommodate enemy retreats as a major factor. Plus if they are retreating, even with evasive from sprint that's a lot of free shots to their back armor anyways.

Throw in the fact a lot of discussion about enemy retreat mechanics would be how best to adjust the player of money and resources because "Well, you had it easy, didn't actually have to kill them, so you get paid less for this mechanic we pitched to "help" you. It's not fair if you get paid or get salvage for retreating enemy right?" and other well meaning stuff that just makes it potentially a detriment rather than an aid despite all the effort put into such a mechanic.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 7, 2017

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Headshot a pristine Orion who is set to gently caress up my flanked Hunchback. :haw:

Enemy Urbie headshots my pristine Centurion in return. :negative:

Also, when doing called shots, does it just make it more likely for me to hit that part? Sometime on called shots I hit other parts of the mech.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 7, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

School Nickname posted:

Headshot a pristine Orion who is set to gently caress up my flanked Hunchback. :haw:

Enemy Urbie headshots my pristine Centurion in return. :negative:

Also, when doing called shots, does it just make it more likely for me to hit that part? Sometime on called shots I hit other parts of the mech.

Yea, going by the files it just ads a flat % to hit your chosen section. Depending on how the math works it's somewhere between +28 and +37.%
(So if you call the head for a target you're only going to bring it up to rough parity with other locations, since headshots are like ~1.75% chance default).

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Part of the issue with AI retreats is also that it tends to feel really aggravating to players when wounded enemies flee instead of getting to finish them off.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

aniviron posted:

Part of the issue with AI retreats is also that it tends to feel really aggravating to players when wounded enemies flee instead of getting to finish them off.

I think it's one of those things that's good in theory, but in practice is annoying.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

aniviron posted:

Go the X3 route and make enemies have a chance to outright surrender their mech in exchange for escaping.

Then have them launch in whatever the combat suits are and let you kill the pilot anyways :black101:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

WebDO posted:

Go the X3 route and make enemies have a chance to outright surrender their mech in exchange for escaping.

Then have them launch in whatever the combat suits are and let you kill the pilot anyways :black101:

I think most pilots would choose death over becoming one of the Dispossessed.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Phrosphor posted:

I think most pilots would choose death over becoming one of the Dispossessed.

Most All Clan pilots would, but IS not so much. You could always hire on with a merc unit that had more mechs than pilots, or head to Solaris and get in a stable until you earned your way back into a ride.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Omar_Comin posted:

Most Clan pilots would, but IS not so much. You could always hire on with a merc unit that had more mechs than pilots, or head to Solaris and get in a stable until you earned your way back into a ride.

Not in this Era, there are loads of qualified pilots but not enough mechs for all of them. A merc unit with more mechs than pilots? Not in 3025.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Phrosphor posted:

Not in this Era, there are loads of qualified pilots but not enough mechs for all of them. A merc unit with more mechs than pilots? Not in 3025.

Kinda. It's not quite death before hitting the eject button, but plenty of people are dying because they are trying to ride that red line and not loose their mount. Being dispossessed is a huge loving deal (akin to going 110% bankrupt and having creditors repo everything you own) and people will risk the gently caress out of their lives to avoid that or, once there, to get back in a cockpit.

Sitting on top of an ammo explosion waiting to happen? Eh, most people are still going to punch out. But they will think hard about it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
If you have to give the disclaimer "Well, it would be a problem for Mercenaries though!", then it's not a problem relevant enough for the setting to matter except when the writers or GMs need it as a plot point.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Section Z posted:

If you have to give the disclaimer "Well, it would be a problem for Mercenaries though!", then it's not a problem relevant enough for the setting to matter except when the writers or GMs need it as a plot point.

It's not just a merc problem. There are a lot of house units filled out with minor nobility who basically only have a job because they've got the family mech. This gets doubly true when you get down into militia units. Even for regular military guys who don't own their mech a seat in the cockpit is still coveted and being shot out of it is going to gently caress up your career pretty hard.

edit: This has always been a tension between the lore and the video games. VGs emphasize lethality, while the lore (and to a lesser extend TT if you were running a campaign) emphasizes surviving to fight another day.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Keep in mind that I'm pretty sure in the campaign the AI will offer surrender, and likewise you can surrender as well. They keep their 'Mechs, you complete your contract, but deny yourself the chance for that salvage (but also the chance for them to score lucky hits, and I imagine factions will remember that you didn't massacre their forces).

Also, I don't think most missions will be pitched battles, they'll be longer, drawn out objectives, with more forces than 4 Mechs- a selection of vehicles and such included.

Also, forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only game to actually take place in 3025 (besides this) maybe MechWarrior 1? 2 and GBL are Clan stories, 2 Mercs starts off a few years before the Clans hit and show the event (with you even getting to poo poo on Phelan Kell by saying "lol you go and stay captured by the Clans I'm gonna escape"), all after keep marching.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
The stacks is great to learn how to keep your mechs out of direct line of sight. Managed to keep all my mechs bar my sensor bitch lose virtually only half armor and the only structure damage was due to heat bar the last enemy mech getting a final hit off, which hit the internals of only one section, out of three mechs. My commando sensor bitch might have not been mauled to poo poo if I wasn't too aggressive and sprinted more. I'm learning at least.

I've never played tabletop, but I'm assuming armor is easier to repair than structure?

One issue I have with seeing hit chances is that I can't see hit chances on any positions that I can move to, bar the one that I'm currently on or the one that is closest to the hostile mech. If I could hold down a button that could let me see the hit chances and pivot in between those two spots it would be amazing.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 8, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sky Shadowing posted:

Also, forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only game to actually take place in 3025 (besides this) maybe MechWarrior 1? 2 and GBL are Clan stories, 2 Mercs starts off a few years before the Clans hit and show the event (with you even getting to poo poo on Phelan Kell by saying "lol you go and stay captured by the Clans I'm gonna escape"), all after keep marching.

MW1 was in the 3025 time frame. So was Crescent Hawks Inception if you want to go back that far. Crescent Hawks Revenge was split about half in the 3030-ish era and half in the clan invasion.

School Nickname posted:

I've never played tabletop, but I'm assuming armor is easier to repair than structure?

Yup. Significantly so. Armor is, for all intents and purposes, bolt on. Your average repair bay can replace it pretty trivially, while internal structure requires a bit more care and time.

Think of it as the difference between replacing a body panel on a car and major body work where struts and structure and poo poo are hosed up.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Likewise, refilling an ammo bin is pretty easy, but replacing a busted one is harder.

Assuming you still have that body segment on one piece.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Maybe this isn't the place to ask, but this has me itching to replay mechcommander 2. Is there anywhere to get it legit? I lost my copy years ago, and it's bugged copy protection means I'd probably have a helluva time trying to play it anyway

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Maybe this isn't the place to ask, but this has me itching to replay mechcommander 2. Is there anywhere to get it legit? I lost my copy years ago, and it's bugged copy protection means I'd probably have a helluva time trying to play it anyway

http://www.moddb.com/mods/mechcommander-omnitech

MC2 went open source.

Looks like its still getting updated. Played through the MC2 campaign via this mod a few years ago and it worked fine.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The Mechcommander games are freely downloadable now. MC2 has some good modern updates.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Eldragon posted:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/mechcommander-omnitech

MC2 went open source.

Looks like its still getting updated. Played through the MC2 campaign via this mod a few years ago and it worked fine.

I downloaded this but it doesn't really run on windows 7, anything special beyond compatibility mode needed to get this running?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Can someone with the goon pilots/manifest files put 'em on a dropbox or something please?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

kingcom posted:

I downloaded this but it doesn't really run on windows 7, anything special beyond compatibility mode needed to get this running?

I played it on windows 7 so I know it can be done, but I don't remember needing to do anything special.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Innerguard posted:

Can someone with the goon pilots/manifest files put 'em on a dropbox or something please?

I have only made four so far, I am still trying to track down WoL era avatars to use.

In order to install them you need to edit a .csv in the data directory, I need to see if there is a way to automate that or anyone wanting to install the pack will need to enter 30 odd new rows.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 8, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Same, OmniTech never gave me any issues on Window 7 or 10.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Phrosphor posted:

I have only made four so far, I am still trying to track down WoL era avatars to use.

In order to install them you need to edit a .csv in the data directory, I need to see if there is a way to automate that or anyone wanting to install the pack will need to enter 30 odd new rows.

You can find some of them on the FLJK Goonrathi forums. Just check out old threads in the MWO section.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I got an old laptop HDD with a lot of old WoL art and files. I'll dig my external adapter out this weekend and see what I can scrape up before the drive kills itself for good.

Found some of the old unit logos and signature materials already in my imgur history.

http://imgur.com/a/u0kiy

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 8, 2017

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

Please find my old bird with a bandanna avatar.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/8141?page=1

You can never make grogs happy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nope, never.

I read most of the first post and at least it wasn't filled with typos and rage - it was mostly well worded. It just wasn't thought out - he is criticizing a game that:
1) Is in beta
2) Has a survey after each match
2) Has a forum for feedback

Some of the criticism is sorta valid, other bits might actually be a bug?

So... get hosed, dudebro. Post your feedback in a constructive manner rather than being super critical about it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hahaha awesome, I lost the original in a ssd crash I'm pretty sure. Pretty sure this was made after seeing a catapult standing on a raven, hence the ecm!

Amechwarrior posted:

I got an old laptop HDD with a lot of old WoL art and files. I'll dig my external adapter out this weekend and see what I can scrape up before the drive kills itself for good.

Found some of the old unit logos and signature materials already in my imgur history.

http://imgur.com/a/u0kiy

Nice. I hope we can easily add custom stuff to the game, looks like it won't be too hard right now but sometimes in the name of compression or via build chain muckery it becomes hard after launch.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

HBS OFFICIAL FORUMS POSTER posted:

Well, looking at the whole package, indeed the new xcom is dumbed down and lacking many nuances from the older more complex games...

However, in this case, xcom fans will only have to wait for xenonauts 2, terra invicta and phoenix point, for all of them will try to compete at bringing back the lost nuances of the original xcom.

Can't hope the same with battletech franchise though, as I can't see other game dev willing to create their own battletech like universe, much less creating a competing game.

Grogsssssssss

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hot Take: new X-Com is a better game than old X-Com.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Skippy McPants posted:

Hot Take: new X-Com is a better game than old X-Com.

Personally I miss the deep mechanics they dropped like scouring the map for a loving hour trying to find the last alien hiding in a closet who would immediately shoot your dudes once you opened the door.

It was so complex, nuanced and ~*tactical*~

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Can you pimp out your mechs past their pre-built specs and slots? Like, upgrading raw stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Can you pimp out your mechs past their pre-built specs and slots? Like, upgrading raw stats?

In tabletop, not really. A mech's tonnage is determined when the chassis itself is designed, and that (paired with its engine rating) really determines 90% of the stats of the mech - its maximum armor values, how fast it goes, whatever. There're a few 'advanced technologies' available in mech construction - lighter but bulkier endo-steel internal structures, ferro-fibrous armor, extra-light engine, more efficient (but bulky) double heat sinks, things like that - but in-universe, applying those technologies to a 'mech usually more or less requires rebuilding the whole unit from ground up. The whole system is theoretically built around a zero-sum give-and-take arrangement where a gain in one area has to come from somewhere else - increased weigh, increased bulk, increased heat output, and so on and so forth. (I say theoretically since nothing is perfectly balanced and there are some clearly superior options)