Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dump some god drat orange parts in it. shove it into the dough and work it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So guys, when recipes say to not overwork the dough and barely mix etc, why is that? What happens if you mix the dough a lot?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

AnonSpore posted:

So guys, when recipes say to not overwork the dough and barely mix etc, why is that? What happens if you mix the dough a lot?
Mixing develops gluten, which will make the cookies tougher and more bread-like.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
To answer the question, chocolate chip cookies without the chips are probably called brown sugar cookies.

I just had a crazy thought. Make the brown sugar cookie, then coat it in chocolate. Voila, inside out chocolate chip cookie.

Alternatively, make bite-sized brown sugar cookies and do a chocolate fondue thing.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 4, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

RandomPauI posted:

To answer the question, chocolate chip cookies without the chips are probably called brown sugar cookies.

I just had a crazy thought. Make the brown sugar cookie, then coat it in chocolate. Voila, inside out chocolate chip cookie.

Alternatively, make bite-sized brown sugar cookies and do a chocolate fondue thing.

Bake a plain non-parelli inside a brown sugar cookie. Serve warm. Bam, ninja explosion chip cookie.

Dark dutch chocolate cookie studded with cream taffy. Inversion chip cookie.

Spiced oatmeal cookie studded with rasins. Childhood disappointment and adult cackling delight chip cookie.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Don't forget about cookies y'all

Especially not PEANUT BUTTER

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Speaking of which someone please give me a bomb rear end peanut butter choco chip cookie recipe

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

AnonSpore posted:

Speaking of which someone please give me a bomb rear end peanut butter choco chip cookie recipe

Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: about 4 dozen cookies

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups (7.5 oz) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups (~11 oz) creamy peanut butter (processed is best, and you could instead do 1 1/2 cups chunky peanut butter if you want peanut chunks in there!)
3/4 cup (5 1/4 oz) packed light brown sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 cup (5 7/8 oz) light corn syrup
1/4 cup (1 1/4 oz) granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 big handfulls (2 cups?) chocolate chips

Method:

Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Whisk peanut butter, brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, granulated sugar, egg, yolk, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Divide dough in half, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop dough by the heaping tablespoon and shape as with chocolate chip cookies, breaking in half and smooshing together to make a craggy surface.
Bake cookies until puffed and edges are lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking. Cool 5 minutes on sheets, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Cookies can be stored in airtight container for 3 days, if they last.
Note: dough can be frozen in balls and baked straight from the freezer whenever you want fresh cookies! Just add a minute or two to the baking time.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
If you want to try something different, flourless peanut butter cookies are pretty darn good, too. They are soft and sort of crumbly, similar to the middle of a Reese's cup, but more dense.

E: It yields about 24 small cookies, so I usually double the recipe

Ingredients

1 egg

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup creamy peanut butter (processed works best here, the natural stuff separates in the oven and makes the cookies crumbly and greasy)

½ teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

Optional: coarse sugar crystals, ½ cup choc chips

Instructions

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all ingredients (except sugar crystals for garnish).

Portion tablespoon-sized balls of dough on parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten a bit with a fork or the bottom of a glass. They will spread a little while baking, but not very much.

Sprinkle tops of unbaked cookies with coarse sugar crystals if desired.

Bake for 11 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on baking pan at least 5 minutes (they are fragile until cooled). Remove to a rack and cool completely.

Store in an airtight container.

cocoavalley fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 24, 2017

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

cocoavalley posted:

If you want to try something different, flourless peanut butter cookies are pretty darn good, too. They are soft and sort of crumbly, similar to the middle of a Reese's cup, but more dense.

Made these just now sans sugar topping. I didn't quite have 2 cups to double this, so I substituted Nutella and it was excellent :yum:

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Awesome :) It's such a dangerously simple recipe. Also, it's really good swirled into a batch of brownies.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

You know, I kind of wrote cookies off. I live with someone who's medically gluten free, got any other good ones?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Croatoan posted:

Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: about 4 dozen cookies

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups (7.5 oz) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups (~11 oz) creamy peanut butter (processed is best, and you could instead do 1 1/2 cups chunky peanut butter if you want peanut chunks in there!)
3/4 cup (5 1/4 oz) packed light brown sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 cup (5 7/8 oz) light corn syrup
1/4 cup (1 1/4 oz) granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
4 big handfulls (2 cups?) chocolate chips

Method:

Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Whisk peanut butter, brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, granulated sugar, egg, yolk, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Divide dough in half, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop dough by the heaping tablespoon and shape as with chocolate chip cookies, breaking in half and smooshing together to make a craggy surface.
Bake cookies until puffed and edges are lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking. Cool 5 minutes on sheets, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Cookies can be stored in airtight container for 3 days, if they last.
Note: dough can be frozen in balls and baked straight from the freezer whenever you want fresh cookies! Just add a minute or two to the baking time.

I tried these and they came out basically falling apart, unable to be picked up because they couldn't bear their own weight. Did I not bake them enough?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

You know, I kind of wrote cookies off. I live with someone who's medically gluten free, got any other good ones?

I am not actually GF myself, those PB cookies were something a coworker made me privy to and now I prefer them over 'traditional' PB cookies. That being said, one of my favorite holiday cookies is an almond paste recipe that also happens to be flourless. They sort of form a crust on the outside but stay chewy on the inside and are very almond-y.

Almond paste cookies

1¼ c sugar, divided (½ c for dough, the remaining ¾ c is optional for rolling)
½ c powdered sugar
½ tsp salt
1 lb almond paste
4 egg whites
Optional: ⅔ c sliced almonds for rolling
Optional: Maraschino cherries, cut in halves and blotted on paper toweling

Process ½ cup sugar, powdered sugar, salt, and almond paste until blended.

Add egg whites and process until blended.

Roll method: Chill dough. Roll into 1¼ inch balls. Combine almonds and remaining ¾ cup sugar. Roll cookies in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheet.

Piped method: Skip the chilling. Use a pastry bag to pipe cookies directly onto parchment, 2 inches apart.

Press cherry half in center of each cookie.

Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes. (Bottoms will brown but the tops stay pretty light colored)

Tangentially related fail: Last weekend I was hanging with friends, one of whom has Celiac. We wanted cookies, so I tried to swap cup-for-cup GF baking mix for flour in my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. Cookies that normally come out like this

... came out like this

The baking mix kind of ...disappeared. The dough melted and bubbled in the oven like pancake batter (surprise) I left them in until they started to get too brown. The end result reminded me of Florentines, very lacy, caramelized, and chewy, but also greasy from the butter separating out somewhat. My friend thought they were great though, so ... success?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Dunno if we're still doing PB cookie recipes but this is the one I always use, and it's great. I eyeball chocolate chips when I want to add chocolate chips (and I usually do)

½ cup nonhydrogenated vegetable shortening
½ cup natural smooth peanut butter
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons light molasses (not blackstrap) [editor's note: I always use blackstrap]
1¼ cups flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 to 2 tablespoons nondairy milk (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two cookie sheets. We prefer dark cookie sheets here to get the cookies browned and crispy.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the shortening, peanut butter, and sugar until light and fluffy. This can take up to 2 minutes with an electric mixer at medium speed or 4 minutes just using a fork. Mix in the vanilla and molasses.

Add half the flour along with the cornstarch, baking powder, and salt and mix well. Add the remaining flour and mix. Use your hands at this point to really work the ingredients together. The dough should hold together when squeezed; if it does not, then add a tablespoon or two of nondairy milk until it does.

Roll the dough into walnut-size balls, flattening them a bit with the palms of your hand. The dough may crack on the edges and that is fine. Place the dough balls on the cookie sheets. Flatten them further with the bottom of a coffee mug. Use the underside of fork tines to press cross hatches into the cookies, one horizontal and one vertical.

Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges are very lightly browned. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on the sheets for 10 minutes—any less and they might crumble. Use a thin, flexible spatula to transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

AnonSpore posted:

I tried these and they came out basically falling apart, unable to be picked up because they couldn't bear their own weight. Did I not bake them enough?

I don't know, I just cribbed it from Cooks Country and they've never steered me wrong.
Those look really dang good actually. I made cookies like that once where I accidentally left out like half the flour. Yeah they were greasy but they were super good. Best accident to have.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 9, 2017

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

These are my preferred Peanut Butter cookies (also flourless): https://smittenkitchen.com/2015/10/salted-peanut-butter-cookies/

Pretty similar to the one posted above, but uses Brown Sugar instead, and you sprinkle the top with coarse sea salt.

Another interesting flour-less cookie (uses almond-paste): https://smittenkitchen.com/2009/04/chewy-amaretti-cookies/
You have to be a bit careful with them though, as they're leaning towards overly-sweet IMO. So I recommend smaller cookies with more filling. Also, eat them fast because they don't keep for very long.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I needed to stop making those Peanut Butter cookies so instead ...

I made Peanut Butter Cream French Maracons :rolleye:

This was my first try making them myself. The batter came out almost perfect every time, so it's nice that I got all those parts correct.
However the first batch was a bit of a trainwreck because I tried using an Airbake sheet to cook them. They gone done on top but were completely raw on the bottom, so using a regular old pan is the way to go for sure.
The pic is from my second batch, and they turned out pretty well. First in the oven got a bit overdone doing 20 minutes @ 300F, so I reduced it do 18 minutes and they came out better but still not perfect (little under done inside but a little overdone on the outsides)

So next attempts to get them perfect I will try either:
- Using a heat shield pan, 20 minutes @ 300F, or
- Just doing 20 minutes @ 275F

All things considered, it took a bit of planning and some frustration but I got some pretty good cookies out of it. My stand mixer kind of sucks unfortunately, and it seems like it has probably stripped a gear or something because the beaters are clanking into each other. Time to start saving up for a proper Kitchenaid mixer I guess :sigh:

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Been subbing/supplementing chocolate candies for the chips in chocolate chip cookies. It started with getting an Easter basket earlier this year that I wanted to get rid of the candy - dark and milk Hershey's eggs and Cadbury mini eggs, Reese's pb eggs and pieces, etc. I chopped it up, baked it into cookies, and fed them to my coworkers :twisted:

This batch has mini m&m's, Reese's pieces, Reese's mini cups, dark chocolate chips :getin:

The last cookie thread has a really good recipe that uses chopped up Twix. Pretty much any chocolate candy makes an amazing cookie stir-in. The only one I've had bad luck with so far was a box of Junior mints. They melted out of the dough and ran all over the cookie sheet, then the sugar hardened into brittle. The resulting abomination looks like volcanic rock (dough base was dark chocolate):

E: added link to PezMaster's Twix cookie recipe

cocoavalley fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 24, 2017

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Based on my own experiences with baking with caramel in cookies, maybe try freezing the junior mints?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Trebuchet King posted:

Based on my own experiences with baking with caramel in cookies, maybe try freezing the junior mints?

Hey, thanks for the suggestion :) Unfortunately, I actually had done that so that they wouldn't get mashed when I mixed them in the dough, and I chilled the portioned out dough before baking, too. I think the only other thing I could've tried was making sure each candy was completely surrounded by dough. But I also think Junior Mints are just too liquid-y to begin with. The dough was from a Hershey's recipe that used York patties, and those had to be fully wrapped in dough. I just had a giant box of Junior mints and thought I'd give it a shot.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Ah, oh well. I'd say great minds think alike, but I think you're well beyond my skill level. I wonder if they make mini junior mints?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Trebuchet King posted:

Ah, oh well. I'd say great minds think alike, but I think you're well beyond my skill level. I wonder if they make mini junior mints?

They do! They are marketed as "Bites" and come in a bunch of varieties. I used the Reese's ones in my cookies above, and the Twix ones are perfect for the goon recipe (added link to the post)

Cookies are pretty forgiving when it comes to moderate substitutions, so they are great for experimenting with. I do like to share my screw-ups though, especially the more spectacular ones. There's just something about opening the oven, expecting to see cookies, and instead seeing a tray full of run-together, bubbling dough.

Anyway, here's the link to the Hershey's recipe, I had made it properly before the Junior mints incident and it is good. Hershey's peppermint pattie cookies

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
I made matcha spritz cookies and they were easy and tasty.

Serious eats recipe + 2 tbsp of matcha.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
I made some disappointing oatmeal chocolate chip cookies so i made the opposite as well: lemon sugar cookies.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Cookies are a loving joy. I try to bake as much as I can. This week I've finally tried an M&M cookie recipe that turned out phenomenal and an Andes' mint cookie that have great texture.

I don't have any pictures readily available but it's all I use my Instagram for.

https://www.instagram.com/boywhiz88/

While not cookies, I'm excited to try an experiment where I bake this pumpkin bread recipe 3x but change the kind of cinnamon I'm using. I want to see what differences I can note. I loving love baking!

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

I suck at remembering to take pictures of food I make but wanted to bump the salted chocolate chunk cookies from Smitten Kitchen, they are the perfect chocolate chip cookies. Unlike Serious Eats they don't require dough refrigeration overnight (or at all) and bonus, it's a one-bowl recipe.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Where does everyone source their spices and whatnot? I used McCormicks until I was introduced to Penzey's last year. I quickly converted over and covet their gift cards and deals now.

Also, in MN, we have a company, JR Watkins, from Watkins, MN that makes a number of extracts and spices. I've been using their baking vanilla and it's the greatest!

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 9, 2017

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Penzey's is super good stuff, so I too would like to know :chef:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I made some

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The fact it's on its side makes it look like an art instillation.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Made applesauce oatmeal chocolate chip raisin cookies last night. Tried this recipe for the 2nd time and took out a 1/4 cup of applesauce. They're the perfect consistency! I've also made 3 batches of lemon bars with another 2 batches coming up this week.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

So I bought some of this snack product called 'Divine Crunch' that's a very sticky and chewy peanut toffee covered in chocolate. (Sorry there's no pics behind the link, but hopefully the ingredients list will give you some idea of what it's like) The problem is, I kind of hate it in its current form, because I'm a big baby who can't stand certain food textures. I hate wasting food, so I thought maybe I could bake this stuff into cookies.

Based on the ingredients and my description, which is unfortunately all I can offer you right now, would this stuff work as a mix-in if I crushed it into small pieces? Would I have better luck trying to melt it and incorporate it that way? Is this just plain a bad idea?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Just made some great M&M cookies! 2nd time doing them. I think I've got the timing nailed down. And they're so big!

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 14, 2017

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Just made some great M&M cookies! 2nd time doing them. I think I've got the timing nailed down. And they're so big!

Looks good

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Killingyouguy! posted:

So I bought some of this snack product called 'Divine Crunch' that's a very sticky and chewy peanut toffee covered in chocolate. (Sorry there's no pics behind the link, but hopefully the ingredients list will give you some idea of what it's like) The problem is, I kind of hate it in its current form, because I'm a big baby who can't stand certain food textures. I hate wasting food, so I thought maybe I could bake this stuff into cookies.

Based on the ingredients and my description, which is unfortunately all I can offer you right now, would this stuff work as a mix-in if I crushed it into small pieces? Would I have better luck trying to melt it and incorporate it that way? Is this just plain a bad idea?

I'd say try making small test batches of a few cookies each for 3 variations.

First make a chocolate chip dough, sans the chips. Divide it into three batches of cookies. Put a big chunk of candy in the middle of the cookies in the first batch. Put small chunks on top of the second. Incorporate small chunks into the dough for the last batch.

Don't forget to use parchment, and please take pictures.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Made more M&M cookies yesterday. Turned out great. Made ginger cookies today, they're great. Love this recipe! Tonight gonna make chocolate mint brownies!

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

cookies in the mornin, cookies in the evenin, cookies at supper time :banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

When cookie's on a cookie, you can have cookies anytime!