Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Leperflesh posted:

People like Honnold (I don't know about him particularly, but people like him) are operating on the false "gut feel" that if bad luck hasn't killed them after a hundred or two hundred or five hundred climbs, then the risk must be relatively low. Because humans are terrible at evaluating and "feeling" the difference between, say, a 1/500 chance of a terrible thing happening and a 1/50000 chance of a terrible thing happening, even though the former is a hundred times more likely than the latter, and likely enough that in a decade or two of climbing with 1/500 odds of bad luck killing you on every climb... bad luck is projected to probably kill you.

Declining strength/skill/mental acuity just increases those odds, but the risk was always there, and critically it was always way way higher than the risk of dying by (say) bicycling on public roads, or even skydiving or alpine off-piste skiing or various other adrenaline-junkie sports.

I hope Honnold finds it very rewarding and I hope he hasn't got any family or kids depending on his survival for their happiness and wellbeing.

Climbing is his entire life, I'm sure he is well aware of the risks and it has nothing to do with a gut feeling. And as someone previously posted he doesn't free solo that often. He also trained for a year with the primary focus of free soloing El Cap, there really isn't room for gut feelings in an undertaking like that, its training and discipline.

Destro fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Mr. Despair posted:

http://m.nautil.us/issue/39/sport/the-strange-brain-of-the-worlds-greatest-solo-climber

I read through this yesterday, it's got some nice insight on how his brain is unusual even amongst other thrill seekers. Worth a read to learn about him before throwing out statements about how "those people" act

lmao i like the story about how his worst climbing injury ever was caused by his girlfriend letting go of his rope while lowering him to the ground

guess he's literally safer while free soloing

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Leperflesh posted:

People like Honnold (I don't know about him particularly, but people like him) are operating on the false "gut feel" that if bad luck hasn't killed them after a hundred or two hundred or five hundred climbs, then the risk must be relatively low. Because humans are terrible at evaluating and "feeling" the difference between, say, a 1/500 chance of a terrible thing happening and a 1/50000 chance of a terrible thing happening, even though the former is a hundred times more likely than the latter, and likely enough that in a decade or two of climbing with 1/500 odds of bad luck killing you on every climb... bad luck is projected to probably kill you.

Declining strength/skill/mental acuity just increases those odds, but the risk was always there, and critically it was always way way higher than the risk of dying by (say) bicycling on public roads, or even skydiving or alpine off-piste skiing or various other adrenaline-junkie sports.

I hope Honnold finds it very rewarding and I hope he hasn't got any family or kids depending on his survival for their happiness and wellbeing.

I love it when people tell me how it is when they have no idea what they're talking about.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

nsaP posted:

I love it when people tell me how it is when they have no idea what they're talking about.

A...Alex???

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

nsaP posted:

F'real. People who try to quantify risk of 'extreme' activities seem to do an awful lot of closed-minded thinking where they disregard the incredibly high level of preparation people who take their poo poo seriously go through. It's not gut feel for Honnold to know he can climb El' Capitan without mistakes, he's trained his body and repeated the effort protected many times before making the attempt.

If he winged El' Capitan on gut feel we'd be talking about a dead climber but he's not an idiot, so we aren't.

Many people's relationship with physical risk is all sorts of hosed up these days. Many will go their whole life without having to train/practice to offset a physical risk, such that when people decide to pick up an activity that has physical risk involved, they don't appreciate the risks nor how it is necessary to offset risk through training and preparation.

They see other people partaking in a risky activity and think they MUST be foolhardy thrill seekers thumbing their nose at the odds, and then hopping back into their car for a statistically more likely vehicular death.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Maluco Marinero posted:

F'real. People who try to quantify risk of 'extreme' activities seem to do an awful lot of closed-minded thinking where they disregard the incredibly high level of preparation people who take their poo poo seriously go through. It's not gut feel for Honnold to know he can climb El' Capitan without mistakes, he's trained his body and repeated the effort protected many times before making the attempt.

If he winged El' Capitan on gut feel we'd be talking about a dead climber but he's not an idiot, so we aren't.

Many people's relationship with physical risk is all sorts of hosed up these days. Many will go their whole life without having to train/practice to offset a physical risk, such that when people decide to pick up an activity that has physical risk involved, they don't appreciate the risks nor how it is necessary to offset risk through training and preparation.

They see other people partaking in a risky activity and think they MUST be foolhardy thrill seekers thumbing their nose at the odds, and then hopping back into their car for a statistically more likely vehicular death.

If you listen very carefully, you might be able to hear the voice Ueli Steck, calling from beyond the grave. I think he's saying...

"You're a loving idiot"

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Dongsturm posted:

If you listen very carefully, you might be able to hear the voice Ueli Steck, calling from beyond the grave. I think he's saying...

"You're a loving idiot"

But, but why sir? Why am I loving idiot? Is it because I believe that training can offset risk more than people realise? Or is it because you believe I think preparation negates risk entirely? (I don't)

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Worrying about other what other people do with their lives is pretty dumb hth

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Dongsturm posted:

"You're a loving idiot"

You are right all of humanity should stop doing dangerous sports obviously everyone who does them is a loving idiot with no idea of the risks because why would they want to do something that might cause them to die in the process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Deaths_in_sport

Probably should just make everything on that page illegal as a good first step.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Let's split the difference and just stop having the Isle of Man TT

E: Didn't realize it was happening right now, new thread fodder:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Snaefell_Mountain_Course_fatalities

At 269 fatalities, this motorcycle race was probably deadlier than everest before those avalanches tipped the scale.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 8, 2017

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

This is like the inverse of the goon rush that asked for people to not post death photos.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Clearly never been struck by a careless falling mountaineer. Nuub.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Never Forget Rally Group B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVpa-VV1_qo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

But, but why sir? Why am I loving idiot? Is it because I believe that training can offset risk more than people realise? Or is it because you believe I think preparation negates risk entirely? (I don't)

If training offset risk as much as you're implying, the most highly trained and experienced climbers would not get killed on mountains. The fact that they do, regularly, is proof that no amount of preparation can offset the risk to the degree that poo poo like free climbing el capitan becomes equivalent to ordinary activities that most people consider to carry acceptable risk.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Who is worried? I feel really bad for the spouses and kids, though, and I think it's basically wrong to encourage people to take extremely dangerous, deadly risks for leisure activities that have no real value to society beyond entertainment.

Destro posted:

Climbing is his entire life, I'm sure he is well aware of the risks and it has nothing to do with a gut feeling. And as someone previously posted he doesn't free solo that often. He also trained for a year with the primary focus of free soloing El Cap, there really isn't room for gut feelings in an undertaking like that, its training and discipline.

I'm certain he's aware of the risks. But my previous point is that human beings are not actually capable of emotionally appreciating the difference between a moderately unlikely event and an extremely unlikely event, and usually we conflate the two. And secondarily, no amount of training can prevent random chance from killing you when all it takes is a rock you're clinging to that looks like it's secure to come loose, or a sudden unexpected gust of wind to catch you off guard, or the ice above you to come loose in an unexpected avalanche, or any of the myriad other ways in which highly experienced and capable climbers die every year.

regarding the deaths-in-sports reference, it's a matter of death rate, which has to be adjusted for how many people and how many sporting events, you can't really learn anything at all from absolute numbers. That said, the Isle of Man race is loving insane and yeah everyone who does it is an idiot. No amount of training can remove the risk because it's a race on public roads with spectators, weather, random poo poo in the road, and myriad other uncontrollable factors. It's the reason Group B rally was ultimately canceled, and it's grossly irresponsible for the organizers to continue to run Isle of Man knowing full well that it's going to continue to kill people at a stupidly high rate.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't engage in fun sports that carry a modest risk. And I'm not even claiming to know exactly where the line is that a risky sport/leisure activity becomes too risky to countenance. But I can say with confidence that freeclimbing thousands of feet of sheer rock, hauling tourists up to the summit of everest, attempting to climb K2, quite a lot of cave diving, and the Isle of Man race are all highly, highly questionable. Climbing everest or freeclimbing el capitan etc. shouldn't necessarily be banned, I'm not in favor of legal restrictions on risking your own life, but we shouldn't be praising these people or admiring them for their "achievements" either.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Leperflesh posted:

If training offset risk as much as you're implying, the most highly trained and experienced climbers would not get killed on mountains. The fact that they do, regularly, is proof that no amount of preparation can offset the risk to the degree that poo poo like free climbing el capitan becomes equivalent to ordinary activities that most people consider to carry acceptable risk.

Who is worried? I feel really bad for the spouses and kids, though, and I think it's basically wrong to encourage people to take extremely dangerous, deadly risks for leisure activities that have no real value to society beyond entertainment.

I'm certain he's aware of the risks. But my previous point is that human beings are not actually capable of emotionally appreciating the difference between a moderately unlikely event and an extremely unlikely event, and usually we conflate the two. And secondarily, no amount of training can prevent random chance from killing you when all it takes is a rock you're clinging to that looks like it's secure to come loose, or a sudden unexpected gust of wind to catch you off guard, or the ice above you to come loose in an unexpected avalanche, or any of the myriad other ways in which highly experienced and capable climbers die every year.

regarding the deaths-in-sports reference, it's a matter of death rate, which has to be adjusted for how many people and how many sporting events, you can't really learn anything at all from absolute numbers. That said, the Isle of Man race is loving insane and yeah everyone who does it is an idiot. No amount of training can remove the risk because it's a race on public roads with spectators, weather, random poo poo in the road, and myriad other uncontrollable factors. It's the reason Group B rally was ultimately canceled, and it's grossly irresponsible for the organizers to continue to run Isle of Man knowing full well that it's going to continue to kill people at a stupidly high rate.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't engage in fun sports that carry a modest risk. And I'm not even claiming to know exactly where the line is that a risky sport/leisure activity becomes too risky to countenance. But I can say with confidence that freeclimbing thousands of feet of sheer rock, hauling tourists up to the summit of everest, attempting to climb K2, quite a lot of cave diving, and the Isle of Man race are all highly, highly questionable. Climbing everest or freeclimbing el capitan etc. shouldn't necessarily be banned, I'm not in favor of legal restrictions on risking your own life, but we shouldn't be praising these people or admiring them for their "achievements" either.

lol on a purely statistical life expectancy basis, you're taking a far bigger risk than them by being a sedentary fatass

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zo posted:

lol on a purely statistical life expectancy basis, you're taking a far bigger risk than them by being a sedentary fatass

That's true, the only alternative to taking insane risks with ropeless climbing etc. is sitting on one's rear end, there's absolutely no middle ground

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Leperflesh posted:

That's true, the only alternative to taking insane risks with ropeless climbing etc. is sitting on one's rear end, there's absolutely no middle ground

i know you're kinda slow but the point is that you're getting really mad over people doing cool stuff while hundreds of millions of people are talking far bigger risks by not exercising

also lol, just lol at your scare quoting "achievements"

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

I don't have a problem with people putting themselves in dangerous situations for fun if they know the risks. That doesn't mean I think they're smart for doing it, but hey, it's their life, they can decide to risk it if they want, whether or not they're doing it for something that has a "value to society." And I can appreciate someone who does something that requires a great feat of strength or agility, whether or not that has a value to society either. Don't be so concerned with how other people live their lives, man.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

There's a difference between having your rich rear end dragged up a mountain by sherpas versus training for a year to do something nobody on earth has done before and few on earth even can. The first is not just pathetic - it's risking the lives of people who are only there because they need to make a living. That's something I can't abide by.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Leperflesh posted:

Maaaaate, people take bigger risks in industry than these folks do. To work in offshore oil & gas you need to learn how to get out of a helicopter that's ditched in the sea. People have vaporised themselves by cracking bolts on the wrong pipeline. People have been horribly disfigured by improperly designed shielding/protection.

A modern lifestyle is built on the backs of people taking far greater risks than these guys are. Even in environments where thrill isn't the aim, we haven't fully controlled risk and likely never will be able to mitigate it entirely due to nature being nature.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Leperflesh posted:

Humans also have an innate desire to accomplish things. Free soloing El Cap after climbing for 20 years is definitely praiseworthy it is an amazing feat that stands as a testament to what humans are really able to achieve. If we never gave into our desire for adventure and curiosity we'd still be hitting things with sticks. Space travel is an extremely dangerous endeavor, there is no possible way to have zero risk, your argument suggests that space travel or anything with a high risk factor is not praiseworthy or an achievement. Alex seems to be able to control his emotions in such a way that allows him to have extreme confidence in being able to climb without falling. He is a naturally gifted climber, I really see no problem with him doing what he loves to do. It seems crazy to anyone looking in, but try and look at it from a climbers perspective. You are right that many people shouldn't be on Everest, the fact that it isn't a technical climb and only requires you to be in good shape and have alot of money opens that door for many unqualified individuals. You don't see those same tourists climbing K2 or Annapurna though.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

:thunk: Think of the children!

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
All astronauts are now required to be single and have no kids

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The adrenaline rush after nearly getting seriously hurt/killed is an amazing feeling, half this thread should get away from a computer long enough to experience it sometime.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mr. Despair posted:

The adrenaline rush after nearly getting seriously hurt/killed is an amazing feeling, half this thread should get away from a computer long enough to experience it sometime.

It's such a great rush that you kinda don't really care about that car that hit you!

Until you get to work and throw up outside the door from the body wracking pain. Didn't even notice for half an hour.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is this the thread where we compare the danger of one thing that is statistically dangerous because of the sheer volume of people that do it versus the thing that is dangerous because it's actually life threatening?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Well the trick is to get to the point where you get that rush without actually getting hurt!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Honnold climbs all day and lives in a van. The news that he has a gf is mildly shocking to me. I guess you could feel bad for his mom.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

nsaP posted:

Honnold climbs all day and lives in a van. The news that he has a gf is mildly shocking to me. I guess you could feel bad for his mom.

I would feel worse for his girlfriend's mom. "Oh, your daughter is dating a doctor? My daughter is dating a guy who climbs up rocks or something and lives in a van."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cojawfee posted:

I would feel worse for his girlfriend's mom. "Oh, your daughter is dating a doctor? My daughter is dating a guy who climbs up rocks or something and lives in a van."

He's had a National Geographic article about his brass balls, fitness, and dedication. I think he'd be well accepted in most polite company.

Jesus Christ goons.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Hi there welcome to somethingawful.com comedy website. We have the funny here nice to meet you.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
his girlfriend's parents actually climbs with them on easier routes

the autists come out in force whenever somebody mentions "girlfriend" though

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Just :laffo: at all you nerds who haven't ever climbed anything. I can tell you why he does it.

Because.

Trust me, that's the answer.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mountain looks exciting, September release can't come soon enough.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Maluco Marinero posted:

Lol, your hero and idol has two cracked vertebrae because he picked a rope that was 10 feet too short. His stupid, careless girlfriend dropped him because she hosed up and didn't tie a knot in the end like all of us inferior normal climbers.

And for some reason the "Stupid Deaths on Everest" thread is full of you hero worshipping fuckwits who try to compare him to astronauts or other competent people who can subtract 50 feet from 60 feet and get the correct answer.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Dongsturm posted:

Lol, your hero and idol has two cracked vertebrae because he picked a rope that was 10 feet too short. His stupid, careless girlfriend dropped him because she hosed up and didn't tie a knot in the end like all of us inferior normal climbers.

And for some reason the "Stupid Deaths on Everest" thread is full of you hero worshipping fuckwits who try to compare him to astronauts or other competent people who can subtract 50 feet from 60 feet and get the correct answer.

Yes, clearly my post history casts me as someone who idolises this guy.

When you're done beating up your straw man with a side helping of misogyny maybe you'll be a whole lot less angry about things?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
If you can't have a discussion without being lovely to each other then get the gently caress out

this thread has a lot of cool poo poo in it up until the point where there's a mild disagreement and then people lose their poo poo. Posting cool poo poo is a lot more interesting than the freak outs

Levitate fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 8, 2017

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Well ok, here's some cool poo poo for starters. Though I think it might have shown up here last year too!
https://www.sciencealert.com/there-s-way-too-much-human-faeces-on-mount-everest-experts-have-warned

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is it more poo poo than Denali or is Denali still king poo poo mountain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
That's some poo poo