Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RatHat posted:

A mindless colossal titan sounds pretty useless.

You could say that for the mindless titans that are only normally gigantic as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Gabi seems awfully proud of her war crime, doesn't she?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That sure is a lot of minor characters introduced this chapter who're gonna end up in a mass grave, huh?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Aumanor posted:

Gabi seems awfully proud of her war crime, doesn't she?

The way I see it, she's a child soldier who's been told her entire life that it's her glorious duty to fight for Marley so that her people are one day allowed to get out of the ghettos. Besides, she did it so that the officers wouldn't send the rest of the Eldian troops to get mowed down by machine guns.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I had a thought earlier: do we ever get any confirmation that the Titans really dominated the continent for a thousand years or whatever, like it said in Grisha's letters? I really wouldn't put it past Marley to basically come up with a bullshit excuse for using the Eldians as expendable resources, especially if they had access to the memory rewrite powers (prior to the Reiss family going to Paradis)

Not that I wouldn't put it past the ancestors of our cast, but much like in real life, I have a hard time taking anything that lovely jerks say at face value

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I'm already on board the Reiner as true protagonist, so if Eren is shown after the time skip still a murder loving psychopath its just official for me.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I had a thought earlier: do we ever get any confirmation that the Titans really dominated the continent for a thousand years or whatever, like it said in Grisha's letters? I really wouldn't put it past Marley to basically come up with a bullshit excuse for using the Eldians as expendable resources, especially if they had access to the memory rewrite powers (prior to the Reiss family going to Paradis)

Not that I wouldn't put it past the ancestors of our cast, but much like in real life, I have a hard time taking anything that lovely jerks say at face value

No confirmation either way, but earlier in the manga, the Owl did explicitly point out that both stories are probably false. If the Eldians had been genociding the Marleyans for nearly 2000 years, how does Marley even still exist (never mind be the world's dominant military power)? As for the Eldian empire bringing prosperity to all the nations it had subjugated, what empire hasn't claimed that?

It's still an inescapable fact that Marley is a militaristic power that puts the Eldians in ghettos and treats them as expendable cannon fodder. It's evil, here and now.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 8, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if I had to guess, marley just took advantage of the situation when the king left to go hide behind his walls. from what we know about the king (since it was basically the same guy controlling a different body for ages, right?), he probably wasn't murdering people left and right for no reason

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TowerofOil posted:

I'm already on board the Reiner as true protagonist, so if Eren is shown after the time skip still a murder loving psychopath its just official for me.

I don't think there is a true protagonist - everyone is pretty much evil scum.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TowerofOil posted:

Say Nothing posted:

I don't think there is a true protagonist - everyone is pretty much evil scum.

Haha what.

I thought we only had one guy arguing that every Eldian down to the last woman and child should be genocided, for 'reasons'.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Eren is the little rageball that could, so he's the realest hero in my eyes.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Kassad posted:

The way I see it, she's a child soldier who's been told her entire life that it's her glorious duty to fight for Marley so that her people are one day allowed to get out of the ghettos. Besides, she did it so that the officers wouldn't send the rest of the Eldian troops to get mowed down by machine guns.

It's still probably going to earn a child trying to surrender a bullet to the forhead somewhere down the line.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

RatHat posted:

Not if you tell them to stand in a circle and get hard and stay like that forever.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Szmitten posted:

Not if you tell them to stand in a circle and get hard and stay like that forever.

Keep going...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

You could say that for the mindless titans that are only normally gigantic as well.

you kinda can't considering the mortality rate of the survey corps even before the shifters showed up. they're highly trained with equipment specifically designed for killing titans but the mortality rate is still like 60% for just leaving the walls

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Manatee Cannon posted:

you kinda can't considering the mortality rate of the survey corps even before the shifters showed up. they're highly trained with equipment specifically designed for killing titans but the mortality rate is still like 60% for just leaving the walls

Exactly. Normally gigantic mindless titans are useful in very specific circumstances, the same as the collosal mindless titans.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Medieval-level technology has no chance against colossal-sized titans; it's extremely difficult to pierce their skin, and their weakpoint is 40 meters high.

For the WW1-2 level technology of the world at large, who have artillery pieces capable of hitting and piercing the napes, it'd still be devastating if a few hundred thousand suddenly started roaming and heading towards the highest concentrations of people (population centers).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RatHat posted:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't recall the Colossal titan having a weapon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It IS a weapon. Recall the big boot it gave to wall maria. WW1 construction wouldn't do poo poo against 100k+ of them, they'd torch the planet.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Attack on Titan is a continuation of Big O.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

theCalamity posted:

Attack on Titan is a continuation of Big O.

No, that's One Piece.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

RatHat posted:

I don't recall the Colossal titan having a weapon.

Here I gotcha

Grab a piece of wall, throw it. Grab a horse, throw it. Grab literally anything beacuse you're like 50m tall and loving yoked.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
don't even need a weapon. just walk and anything in the way gets wrecked. smaller titans are better at fighting, anyway.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Hell, Bert alone was setting shinganshina ablaze just walking through it

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You don't need to be armed with gams like that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HoneyBoy posted:

Here I gotcha

Grab a piece of wall, throw it. Grab a horse, throw it. Grab literally anything beacuse you're like 50m tall and loving yoked.

Just stab a giant spike through the armor titan and use him as a morning star.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Shinjobi posted:

Eren is the little rageball that could, so he's the realest hero in my eyes.
This. The whole point of Eren is that he's only-sorta good at everything and gets by primarily on his revenge boner that was raging before he even had a legitimate reason to have a revenge boner. In this season he kills his first titan as a human and wants to do a jig for it. It's adorable. He's the hero and Marley are obviously supposed to be Nazis for him to defeat. Eldians are going to be uplifted, Marley defeated, blah blah blah they launch a rocket that releases titan formula into the atmosphere and everyone turns into a titan, the end!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

eren is the princess that gets captured and has to be rescued three times

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
My theory is that there is no genetic difference between Marleyans and Eldians and both can titan-shift just fine. The whole thing about Eldians being titan monsters is just propaganda from Marley. In reality they just use the Eldians as titan cannon fodder because they can.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
The existence of the Ackermans and royals seems to imply there definitely is something inheritable about these kind of powers.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Correct.

While the willingness to use Eldians as cannon fodder mindless titans is accurate, you bet your rear end they'd turn loyal Marleyans into shifters if they could, instead of having to rely on Eldians.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
Has no one else realized we've never seen the real Armor titan? Ernie is only half Eldian, it's supposed to take a pure line to bring out the power. We may have only been getting the Ymirized version.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Minion of Freya posted:

Has no one else realized we've never seen the real Armor titan? Ernie is only half Eldian, it's supposed to take a pure line to bring out the power. We may have only been getting the Ymirized version.

Honestly, I doubt Isayama had all planned and perfectly detailed since the start. I doubt when he designed the Armored Titan he knew about Eldians and Marley, and/or the nature of the titans and Edlian's bloodline and/or Reiner's origins.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Minion of Freya posted:

The full version has Brock Lesnar's sword tattoo and constantly cracking voice.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Turin Turambar posted:

Honestly, I doubt Isayama had all planned and perfectly detailed since the start. I doubt when he designed the Armored Titan he knew about Eldians and Marley, and/or the nature of the titans and Edlian's bloodline and/or Reiner's origins.

And also, wouldn't the Marley officials notice something is wrong when the new Armored Titan kid shifts for the first time and looks completely off? I assume they test them a bit and stuff.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Minion of Freya posted:

It's possible that his Eldian half is the right bloodline and that's all that matters. Unless the Marleyians are completely unaware of how the bloodlines work (might be possible, they think they can just steal the coordinate and it'll work) I can't see them choosing someone who couldn't utilize the titan form fully on purpose.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DaveKap posted:

This. The whole point of Eren is that he's only-sorta good at everything and gets by primarily on his revenge boner that was raging before he even had a legitimate reason to have a revenge boner. In this season he kills his first titan as a human and wants to do a jig for it. It's adorable. He's the hero and Marley are obviously supposed to be Nazis for him to defeat.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'd like to point out that the attributes of the 'Jaw' titan appear to be:

- Small size
- Claws
- A strong/sharp bite

While larger than Ymir, Galliard is very much on the smaller side of the titan shifters, and the particular appearance of his armored claws and mouth/face could be the result of intaking 'Armored' formula and being either well trained or very compatible with it. We know this is possible because that's what Eren did, and with training he developed the ability to create armored fists to fight Reiner. Likewise, we have another example of size/shape variability between shifters of the same power, if you compare Grisha to Eren or the Owl.

Annie and Zeke likely got their hardening ability from ingesting 'Armor', too, if we follow this logic.

So while Ymir might've been a far less impressive Jaw, we shouldn't be assuming it was Isayama failing to plan ahead, and also not take the bloodline theory as some kind of absolute, either. As far as we can tell, as long as you're (part) Eldian you're eligible to be a shifter, and that's probably a binary rather than some kind of LotR-like 'diluted blood of numenor' deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Minion of Freya posted:

Conspiratiorist posted:

As far as we can tell, as long as you're (part) Eldian you're eligible to be a shifter, and that's probably a binary rather than some kind of LotR-like 'diluted blood of numenor' deal.

Basically this. I don't think it's explicitly stated anywhere that you need a pure Eldian bloodline to bring out the real power. It's implied by Ymir's transformation being lame but I don't know if anyone has actually said that someone needs to be 100% Eldian. If they did I'm sure the Marley government would've figured it out at some point since they apparently have a military science division that exclusively studies titans.