Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What ever happened to Kathy Durants testimony? She just disappeared after a whole bunch of buildup. Just another hole in this garbage bag show I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What ever happened to Kathy Durants testimony? She just disappeared after a whole bunch of buildup. Just another hole in this garbage bag show I guess.

You missed probably the worst part of the entire season

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The President pushed her down like six stairs and now she's in a coma.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Quite certain it went like "gently caress we only have one day left to film with Jayne Atkinson and the Durant plotline would still break the entire plot. What takes one day to film and solves everything without killing the character?"

The real villain in this show are those stairs.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Do you have stairs in your house?

Durant not protected.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I like how they clearly didn't want to pay Molly Parker for a cameo.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah on top of everything the season felt really cheap compared to the others, conveniently avoiding showing any of the campaign rally crowds, inauguration ball, foreign sets besides not-Putins office, any of the military actions, etc. The scene where the guy climbs the White House fence looked like CW network b-drama production.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
So as it went along, I was getting the impression that Conway kept trying to downplay his heroic actions because it turned out he wasn't actually a hero, not because he had PTSD and didn't like talking about it. Just the way they presented the character to me and how he acted.

Guess I was wrong, though, because surely something that juicy would have come up during the election plotline.

tminz
Jul 1, 2004
Lots of hate but everyone binge-watched in less than a week. The show jumped the shark awhile ago but goddamn if the end of this season wasn't fun. Acting like the Durant thing was so out of character is ridiculous, Frank literally murdered Zoe Barnes in public in season 2.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I binge-watched it because I hoped it'd get better. It didn't.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

tminz posted:

Lots of hate but everyone binge-watched in less than a week. The show jumped the shark awhile ago but goddamn if the end of this season wasn't fun. Acting like the Durant thing was so out of character is ridiculous, Frank literally murdered Zoe Barnes in public in season 2.

Do you not see a difference between pushing Zoe into an oncoming train and pushing Cathy down 4 steps?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Durant thing was so stupid on so many levels.

One of those levels is that no one seems to wonder about it at all. One reported suggested it was suspicious and was immediately shot down with 'oh down start that conspiracy theory nonsense'.

Can you imagine if the day before Comey's testimony, he went to the whitehouse, and while alone with Trump he accidentally fell down 6 stairs and fell into a coma?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

counterfeitsaint posted:

The Durant thing was so stupid on so many levels.

One of those levels is that no one seems to wonder about it at all. One reported suggested it was suspicious and was immediately shot down with 'oh down start that conspiracy theory nonsense'.

Can you imagine if the day before Comey's testimony, he went to the whitehouse, and while alone with Trump he accidentally fell down 6 stairs and fell into a coma?

Aaaaand when she wakes up... Then what? Frank will be in trouble. Again.

Trivia: the actress who plays Cathy Durant is married to the actor that played former president Walker. Also, she's British, which pops out every so often.

tminz
Jul 1, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you not see a difference between pushing Zoe into an oncoming train and pushing Cathy down 4 steps?

Of course but the show has been campy the entire time, using that scene as the breaking point is silly. They even acknowledge the absurdity as Frank turns to the camera and smirks while saying 'Help! The secretary has fallen!'

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Aaaaand when she wakes up... Then what? Frank will be in trouble. Again.

Doug is going to kill her.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Doug is going to kill her.

From jail?

I have a feeling he's not going to get pardoned.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Still on season 4, desperately want that British wife chick to plop those sweeeet cheeks right on my chiseled face mmm

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Didn't care much for the season. Did just enough to keep me interest during lunch time. I did like where it ended and the slow transition from Frank to Claire. "My turn" :swoon:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

When Claire talked to the camera for the first time this season, it was probably the happiest and angriest I was at this season. Happy because I had been waiting for her to finally do it since the end of last season, angry because it took this long and she made up an excuse about "not liking the attention" or something. Nope, gently caress that, you have to talk to the camera as much as Frank now, no excuses. Otherwise I can't consider you a proper equal in the storytelling of this show. At least the next season might finally fix that but... ugh... when you go back to what it is I like about this show I really don't think I can do anything but obligatory hate-watch in a stockholm syndrome way.

So when one of my close friends told me tonight she couldn't wait to watch the rest of the show after telling me she had only watched up to the end of Season 2, I felt really bad that she didn't want me to spoil a single thing about it to her.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I liked the way they they handled Claire and the camera. When she first talks to us I get the impression she just doesn't like us being there. It would be interesting to have Claire not only talk to us less, but be actively hostile towards us as a way to contrast her from Franks monologues. I love Robin Wright, but there's no point putting her anyone at all in a monologuing contest with Spacey. Even he's over using it a bit this season. The best times are when he just gives us a sarcastic glance, or that time in S2 where he ignored us for a few episodes. "Did you think I had forgotten about you? Maybe you wished I had."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I love it when he does it when it actively interrupts a bunch of people around him, because I try to imagine what that's like for the other actors. Not that it's tough, but I enjoy watching them pretend they don't hear him at all.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I was glad for Claire to get her turn at the end, but I was hoping she would interrupt Frank during her swearing in. He starts talking saying something or other about power, the camera pans to her, and then she says something like "Frank, don't interrupt, I'll take it from here."

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

bobfather posted:

I was glad for Claire to get her turn at the end, but I was hoping she would interrupt Frank during her swearing in. He starts talking saying something or other about power, the camera pans to her, and then she says something like "Frank, don't interrupt, I'll take it from here."

I think she rolls her eyes when Frank mentions that she owes him.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is the British show really good? Because I was really just bewildered by this season, and I'm not going to bother with the British one unless it's really sharp and interlocking and explosive in the ways I was hoping this one would be.

For me the most interesting bits, just on the edge of being stupid, were the 4th wall things. Little waves, winks, here and there. Such as Usher's cute little wave during the inauguration. Spacey devouring scenery whole.

Tom Yates also died, but not soon enough for it to be truly satisfying. I spent a heck of a lot of time just trying to figure out what she really liked about the guy and then he dies like Lenny from Of Mice and Men. I wonder if he didn't just see his obsolescence coming and try the book thing as a last ditch effort to be the center of Claire's attention, even if it risked his death.

Overall a huge weird mess that took real effort to make it through.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The British version is very different in tone and content. They're barely related at this point.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

precision posted:

The British version is very different in tone and content. They're barely related at this point.
It's also good and short.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

DaveKap posted:

It's also good and short.

If it's British television, I'm assuming it's also 5 seasons series long, but somehow all 5 seasons only adds up to 3 episodes in total. and a christmas special

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

If it's British television, I'm assuming it's also 5 seasons series long, but somehow all 5 seasons only adds up to 3 episodes in total. and a christmas special
It's 3 series, 4 1-hour episodes each. Condensed and good.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just started watching the last episode, and boyyyyyyyyyyy is this loving stupid. I guess the beginning of the season was alright and the middle wasn't awful, but it just disintegrated in the last three episodes or so.

I like the new lady though. Deputy undersecretary of the Treasury or whatever she is. She's got a bad origin story for her superpowers, but the performance is great.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 10, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

DaveKap posted:

It's 3 series, 4 1-hour episodes each. Condensed and good.

It's really good and even though by the third series it was flagging a bit it had a good ending too.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Just started watching the last episode, and boyyyyyyyyyyy is this loving stupid. I guess the beginning of the season was alright and the middle wasn't awful, but it just disintegrated in the last three episodes or so.

I like the new lady though. Deputy undersecretary of the Treasury or whatever she is. She's got a bad origin story for her superpowers, but the performance is great.
I swear to God I better hear a proper story about the show running out of budget and time and that's why the last episode was so poorly executed. As for Deputy whatever her name is, I do like how odd she is but it honestly got too grating after a bit. Oh well, it does a good job of making her stand out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I like them having someone who's more emotional around, without being insufferable like Tom.

Unfortunately, it did seem at the end like she had very thin motives. For awhile it seemed like she may have really wanted to genuinely help the Syrians, but then she let the chemical weapons attack happen so it could prop up Claire. I think she's being set up as another person who's going to be undyingly loyal to the Underwoods without good reason to be.

The show using the gas attack is a bit too real for my taste too. I know they pull from real events a lot, and the show gets dumb when they try to cook up the events/policies themselves, but that attack was like 2 months ago.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Breakfast All Day posted:

She's intelligence community deep state who operates from a commerce bureaucracy position that gives her lots of access and career security with a low profile. She breaks cover/appears at the time she does because of the pseudo-coup, which the intelligence community is aware of mostly because of the military's intentional mishandling of the terrorist strike.

Going back through the thread, and I completely missed this when I watched that episode. I thought she was just supposed to be supernaturally well-connected through some vague international finance channels that didn't make any sense.

This makes me like her character even more. It sets up a cool dynamic for next season too.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I love me some Kevin Spacey, but the hamminess and sarcasm that worked so well in the first season just makes the Underwood evil harder to swallow somehow. I'm only up to Chapter Ten because it's just not as engaging as when the show first started.

Jane David might be my favorite character. I'm more interested in her sources, methods, and goals than in the higher ups in the administration.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If I warp my mind a bit, I can see the appeal for Frank of being a power broker--the power behind the power--of being a hidden, snake-in-the-grass manipulator. That's sort of what Davis is, or appears to be, some semi-independent spearhead character with Access. I just remember at the end of season 2, when he raps on the desk, and then season 3 onward was just about running into bloated frustration after frustration. I was all geared up for international intrigue, bending national rulers over his knee, and instead it was like he was just swimming in a bigger pond where all the fish are small. So, the show focused on how ineffective a tyrant he was. Season 5's last-minute, "I planned it all, Claire," ending was kind of eyerolling, and I don't feel like there are any uncovered cogs I'd see if I rewatched it. And I won't. It felt like a "God did it" bandage on top of an uneven season.

In another sense, a good story isn't about ascending scale after scale, a political show about a small town would have as much tension and be more grounded in reality, what with a realistically higher ceiling. Like, The Shield wasn't the best thing ever, but it did the frustrations of trying to attain political power and learning to be ruthless in the character of David Aceveda (name?).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"I was the secret mastermind all along!" is always a terrible reveal, especially if you can't even run like a montage of the mastermind engineering critical plot points. It's narrative by fiat.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

"I was the secret mastermind all along!" is always a terrible reveal, especially if you can't even run like a montage of the mastermind engineering critical plot points. It's narrative by fiat.

I got the feeling that he wasn't planning everything, just those couple final events, isolating claire for protection and resigning. It was presented in a hamfisted way though.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

"I was the secret mastermind all along!" is always a terrible reveal

He was exaggerating. I don't think his ego could take the fact that everything was spinning away from him.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 11, 2017

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

At this point I'm hate watching. Netflix doesn't plan to kill their golden goose anytime soon. If they had just made season 3 the violent downfall of the Underwoods then House of Cards could have been remembered up there with the greatest series, but instead they keep pumping out seasons with no planned end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I finished the season and ... eh. I didn't hate it, even if the whole "You rule from the inside and I rule from the outside!" thing was stupid as hell, somehow even more so than the scene where they literally planned to become a dictatorship. I would have enjoyed the show if instead of rushing him into office they had made his tactic the utter annihilation of the party leaders who hosed him in the first place while he looked uninterested in the office, wrecking the party in secret in such a manner that they eventually wanted him to run for office, making him and Claire extremely successful on the world stage, and then having it crumble around him as everything finally toppled. Making him and Claire suck in office, snipe at each other constantly, and then have him set up Doug while resigning with a super low approval rating? Meeehhh.

I do really like Davis and Usher, though. I would so much rather have a show revolving around characters slinking in the background who effectively disrupt the administration and the world for power and profit.

• Locked thread