Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
All this talk about Yen made me realize something (you're all idiots btw Yen is the best):
How did people who haven't read the books experience Regis? I mean, he is kind of just thrust on you and introduced as a higher vampire who Geralt used to know and watched die, but was that enough for you to trust him? I probably wouldn't have believed a word he said if I hadn't read the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I thought he was incredibly fishy, but Geralt trusted him so I went along with it - it wasn't completely out of nowhere as Geralt having a vampire friend comes up in W1. At times I did think he might end up siding/protecting Detlaf though.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Regis is loquacious and cordial to a fault so it's not a big leap to trust him when every other vampire is inhuman, sinister or completely bonkers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

nvm

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 8, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Compare how Triss and Yennefer react when your adopted daughter goes missing and is being hunted down by cosmic demons.

Yennefer goes out and tears poo poo up trying to find her.

Triss sits in a puddle of her own piss in Novigrad mooning over you and asking you to run mostly unrelated errands for her pet project, hoping your Stockholm Syndrome over her raping you when you were amnesic kicks in.

Triss is superficially nice but a really bad person. Yennefer is an unpleasant person early on who is actually fiercely loyal and protective.

Basically Triss was a speed bump for me once I realized this.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Her "pet project" is saving people from the inquisition... and when Geralt needs help she lets herself get tortured for Ciri's sake. I think that means more than Yen being happy to tear other people's poo poo up.

Plus she only gets back with Geralt if he himself makes the effort.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

sean10mm posted:

Compare how Triss and Yennefer react when your adopted daughter goes missing and is being hunted down by cosmic demons.

Yennefer goes out and tears poo poo up trying to find her.

Triss sits in a puddle of her own piss in Novigrad mooning over you and asking you to run mostly unrelated errands for her pet project, hoping your Stockholm Syndrome over her raping you when you were amnesic kicks in.

Triss is superficially nice but a really bad person. Yennefer is an unpleasant person early on who is actually fiercely loyal and protective.

Basically Triss was a speed bump for me once I realized this.

Triss is on her own mission that she started before she knew Ciri was in any danger at all, one that is pretty drat important in its own right. She wants you to help her finish that more quickly so she can help with Ciri, and once you do she does.

Triss did nothing wrong

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

My theory is that everyone in this thread projects their own failed relationships on either Triss or Yennifer, depending on which one more closely resembles the Ex (regardless of how superficial or innacurate that resemblance is).

Shani is that one awesome person you got to spend some time with, but never got past the honeymoon phase to discover what she's really like, so everyone still holds her in really high regard.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think we can all agree that Geralt's relationships are inherently doomed on account of them involving Geralt?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pellisworth posted:

edit: also, I think a significant part of the resentment towards Yen is she's a strong, independent female character. Misogyny is real and I think part of the ire directed towards Yen comes down to the fact that she takes a commanding role in her relationship with Geralt much of the time.

If you don't like Yen, you're a misogynist?

I mean, I wouldn't say that much; Yen is standoffish and and an rear end in a top hat to most everybody, as all sorceresses seem to be. But with Yen, after rejecting her in my first playthrough, I actually got to then see her actual character show itself, particularly once you actually find Ciri and spend more time with her. I didn't regret choosing Triss, I don't like bullies even if they aren't malicious ones, but Yennefer becomes sympathetic and likable because the whole "I'm a she-bitch ready to drop lightning on you" is a facade over a rather lonely person hell-bent on protecting the only family she has.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

My theory is that everyone in this thread projects their own failed relationships on either Triss or Yennifer, depending on which one more closely resembles the Ex (regardless of how superficial or innacurate that resemblance is).

Usually something to keep in mind when people are talking about relationships in all media.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

People trying to play armchair psychologist based on other players' in-game choices is embarassing to witness. It's like baby's first intellectual awakening and the baby thinks it's through the looking glass and proceeds to project its own insecurities like they're the bottom line now. One thing is discussing choices in the game in their fictional context and another is going on and on about how people who chose this or that are obviously mentally ill or victims of something.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

edit: also, I think a significant part of the resentment towards Yen is she's a strong, independent female character. Misogyny is real and I think part of the ire directed towards Yen comes down to the fact that she takes a commanding role in her relationship with Geralt much of the time.

Yen completely ignores the fact that Geralt is both her long time fried and Ciri's father and generally treats you like crap. She blasts you for a lack of initiative while she refuses to tell you anything about her plans and forces you to follow along blindly. She steals a one-use-only item from one of Geralt's friends and involves him in the theft without telling him what she's doing. She uses the item without caring at all about the risks and without even telling you what those risks are, causing a massive storm the Druids are only barely able to contain. She kills Freya's garden to perform necromancy, and she doesn't tell you about it in advance because she thought you'd disapprove.

She knows you hate having your mind read and she continually blows that off and does it anyways, often without asking permission first. Every single one of your friends or acquaintances who talks about her seems to say something about "Still letting her treat you like a dog?" or some other disparaging comment. I don't think you meet one of them who says something positive about the relationship. It's like she's actually trying to be as unbearable as loving possible. I mean, she was even a jerk to Grandpa Vesimir.

I think it's possible to dislike her for all of that without being a misogynist.

And Triss, imo, is equally as strong and independent. Without Geralt around, she's singlehandedly leading the mage Underground Railroad to get people free from the Inquisition. Far from being dependent on Geralt, she only goes to him for aid a few times, when she needs the extra muscle. If you try to jump in and white knight for her she will actively get angry about it, up to the point where she gets mad at you if you try to spare her from torture. And at the end of everything, she's prepared to up and walk away from you unless you go to her and ask her to stay. And she does all that while still managing to treat Geralt like a valued friend and ally, instead of like a servant.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Discussion about the relationship between Yenn and Geralt also usually sounds like relating to it to long-term relationships in our world, especially co-habitation ones, but they don't see each other that often, relatively. They're not living together. They're frequently on opposite sides of the country or continent. They're two people who come in and out of each other's lives.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

On choices, is anybody else a bit disappointed in the fact that the choice between Hjalmar and Cerys is so clear cut? All other choices between endings are at least murky around the edges if not equivalent, but here everything screams at you to pick Cerys, and her ending is clearly better than Hjalmar's. I'm not saying I disagree with that, but I would have liked having to mull a bit on my choice instead of insta-picking Cerys.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Palpek posted:

People trying to play armchair psychologist based on other players' in-game choices is embarassing to witness. It's like baby's first intellectual awakening and the baby thinks it's through the looking glass and proceeds to project its own insecurities like they're the bottom line now. One thing is discussing choices in the game in their fictional context and another is going on and on about how people who chose this or that are obviously mentally ill or victims of something.

Sounds like they're mistaking the stars reflected in a pond at night for those in the sky tbh.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Palpek posted:

I just think that people who choose Triss must like boring cardboard a whole lot, because she is extremely boring.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

LupusAter posted:

On choices, is anybody else a bit disappointed in the fact that the choice between Hjalmar and Cerys is so clear cut? All other choices between endings are at least murky around the edges if not equivalent, but here everything screams at you to pick Cerys, and her ending is clearly better than Hjalmar's. I'm not saying I disagree with that, but I would have liked having to mull a bit on my choice instead of insta-picking Cerys.
To be fair there's also the third choice.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Hjalmar launches a campaign against the Nilfgaardians so he is the superior choice in my preferred "gently caress Nilfgaard" ending state.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If you don't like Yen, you're a misogynist?

I don't think anyone thinks this. But...

Yeah, it's deffo there. Maybe not so much in this thread, which is pretty civil and mostly quasi-mature adults, but Yen gets some nasty manboy-hate. Lambert is also a shithead who nobody in-game professes to liking, but fans mostly adore the guy. I don't think you can leave misogyny out of the equation when you routinely see people online interpreting all of her ambiguous actions in the worst possible light.

Yeah, she steals that stupid mask despite the fact that the druids tell her it will end the world, she's says that's a bunch of nonsense.

They are wrong, she's right.

She not only knows better than the druids, she knows that literally no one will listen to her, even Geralt will try to explain to her that there *must* be another way. And they will waste valuable time in the search for their daughter.

The fact that people online routinely interpret her actions as Yen nearly destroying the world over the objections of smarty men... I mean, am I totally wrong to smell some misogyny at play?

addendum: You don't need to like Yen, she tries really hard to keep people at a distance, including her closest friends and family. She's got very little regard for people she's not already close to. That's maybe a trait that y'all like or don't like in people. But I think that a lot of people interpret her character in a very superficial way that maybe reveals some biases.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 8, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm on team Yen in terms of who Geralt should end up with but her actions through the game really shows why people in W3 hate sorceresses so much.

There's also only one reason people like Lambert. But it's a very good reason.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

No Wave posted:

There's also only one reason people like Lambert. But it's a very good reason.

HE KILLS TROLLS

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't know that I would call it misogyny, but being able to accept and like fictional men who are outright assholes and not being able to accept fictional women who are sometimes hardasses is definitely a facet of sexism. Yen busts Geralt's balls a little because he can take it and because he's stubborn enough that she has to push him sometimes.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is Lambert the guy who makes you chase after that ex witcher and wants to kill trolls? Cause yea he's a dick, but the game doesn't try to make a case for why you should like him, and unlike Yen who's an awful person but a fun and interesting character - he's just kind of boring.

Like that's the difference here I think, the thing asked in these discussions isn't whether you like Yen, but whether you think Geralt should end up with her.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 8, 2017

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

WTF

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Some kind of ARG / promo campaign?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

:laffo:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speaking of Lambert, what is up with the colouring on his lovely beard? Makes him look like he's got hives or whiteheads.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

They forced the first news on this game since the teaser trailer four and a half years ago. Are they hackers or heroes?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You think the ransomers gave CDPR one of these?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This is probably that same idiot group that keeps threatening Netflix and Disney with the same ransom, and yet somehow Orange is the New Black and Pirates of the Caribbean are doing just fine.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The hackers probably pushed too hard on the haggling minigame and lost out on the extra crowns they were after.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The hackers are those doofus bandits who demand a toll in Velen.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Avalerion posted:

Like that's the difference here I think, the thing asked in these discussions isn't whether you like Yen, but whether you think Geralt should end up with her.

Which is why I'm quick to point out that there's nothing wrong with not liking Yen, she's mean. Some people don't think that's a good trait, some people see it differently. I just think it's easy for some people to interpret her character shallowly, especially because video games, generally, do not train players to look for complexity.

and yeah also patriarchy a lil*

*in darker corners of the internet, it's not a lil

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bicyclops posted:

This is probably that same idiot group that keeps threatening Netflix and Disney with the same ransom, and yet somehow Orange is the New Black and Pirates of the Caribbean are doing just fine.

I just want them to put BoJack out early :smith:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Which is why I'm quick to point out that there's nothing wrong with not liking Yen, she's mean. Some people don't think that's a good trait, some people see it differently. I just think it's easy for some people to interpret her character shallowly, especially because video games, generally, do not train players to look for complexity.

and yeah also patriarchy a lil*

*in darker corners of the internet, it's not a lil

the hottest take ever on the subject

wait

this is the one true hot take

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yen and Geralt are basically an old married couple where to an outside observer they don't appear to like each other at all, but inside they actually love each other (and their "daughter") and express it by being jerks, with the odd flare up of actual affection

If W3 is literally your first exposure to yen, it totally makes sense for your reaction to be "ok I'm not gonna jump through hoops for you, we just met"

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I knew that Yen and Geralt were perfect for each other after their werewolf pun run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEd0yxi89fE

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Lobok posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Wait, how do you even blackmail Netflix? "Oh no, people will watch an episode early via an external website so we don't even have to provide the bandwidth".

Lobok posted:

:haw: