Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

Wait, what did Kiedis do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Kiedis#Feud_with_Mike_Patton I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

I listen to RHCP every once in a while 'cause my gf is a fan but Mike Patton is a god among men, and genuinely loves video games, so...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Phoenix Point has closed with 765,948$ buckaroos, and I'm still amused that of its asking price of 500k, it only got 445K in pledges - on kickstarter it would've been close but no cigar.

As is, we get drivable vehicles as the sole stretch goal.

Fingers crossed the resulting game is good! I'm looking forward to XCOM 3 myself. :D

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Skyscraper posted:

Edit Edit: Since he's in the thread, SupSuper, you want to weigh in on this?
I think it's still too early to judge. :shrug: The video was clearly designed to focus on the more exciting systems (boss aliens, targeted parts), without any RNG bullshit and the like. There's probably more stuff to come and they haven't had time to take action on all the feedback they've been gathering during and before the campaign (like how a lot of people would rather it be more oldCOM than newCOM).

As for the return fire, it could go either way. Yes, in the original X-COM any unit with TUs left had a chance to reaction to any action, which was reworked into "overwatch" for new XCOM, so this isn't too different. There might be other chances that aren't implemented yet so it isn't always guaranteed damage, plus most of the aliens will likely be melee-focused.
Also, stuff like cover, distance, etc, seems to mitigate damage now instead of aim (maybe this will finally make cover useful!) so soldiers in very safe positions will probably take little to no damage. This encourages you to not stay out in the open, unlike new XCOM where you could afford to as long as you made sure the alien wouldn't be around for a counterattack.

I do like how there seems to be a mixed reaction with the game "borrowing too much" or "differing too much" from XCOM, the clone cycle never changes. :allears:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SupSuper posted:

I think it's still too early to judge. :shrug: The video was clearly designed to focus on the more exciting systems (boss aliens, targeted parts), without any RNG bullshit and the like. There's probably more stuff to come and they haven't had time to take action on all the feedback they've been gathering during and before the campaign (like how a lot of people would rather it be more oldCOM than newCOM).

As for the return fire, it could go either way. Yes, in the original X-COM any unit with TUs left had a chance to reaction to any action, which was reworked into "overwatch" for new XCOM, so this isn't too different. There might be other chances that aren't implemented yet so it isn't always guaranteed damage, plus most of the aliens will likely be melee-focused.
Also, stuff like cover, distance, etc, seems to mitigate damage now instead of aim (maybe this will finally make cover useful!) so soldiers in very safe positions will probably take little to no damage. This encourages you to not stay out in the open, unlike new XCOM where you could afford to as long as you made sure the alien wouldn't be around for a counterattack.

I do like how there seems to be a mixed reaction with the game "borrowing too much" or "differing too much" from XCOM, the clone cycle never changes. :allears:

There's more gameplay videos out and in one of them they talked about how projectiles are going to work vs firaxis's XCOM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eY668arL-8&t=587s

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Shenmue III delayed until the second half of 2018, surprising no one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apCHa-sSgig

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

SupSuper posted:

(like how a lot of people would rather it be more oldCOM than newCOM).

I hate those people a lot. The Firaxis Xcom was modern and great and had an awesome UI (if any of you remmeber OG Xcom, the UI was terrible). The Xenonauts guys are working on another old XCOM clone as well. I don't understand why ultra spergs have to have 1:1 games from the past when OG Xcom is on loving steam.

Also, I'm still salty those jackasses downvoted co op for Phoenix Point on the survery.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SupSuper posted:

I don't think mitigating damage vs aim is fitting with the idea of X-COM's (and JA's, while I'm at it) gameplay specifically, its actual mechanics aside, which is the part that I hate, and also what I was asking about. I'm not great at distilling what makes these games great, and why this violates that. I see what you mean about cover being less useful in EU (and UFO?) but I think there are better ways of doing that than damage mitigation. Then again, I liked cover in EU also, so :shrug:. It sure doesn't look like cover is helping a lot in PP, given that even a full shield of cover doesn't seem to stop the auto-hit return fire in the video. Sure, they'll probably change this a bunch before release, but it was maybe not the best mechanic to demo in a barely-finished state. Like, it'd be the thing I'd add last with a toggle switch.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
adding in mechanics at the last minute and making them optional sure is a way to make good games

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Fangz posted:

adding in mechanics at the last minute and making them optional sure is a way to make good games

making your bad ideas mandatory to people who pre-ordered on kickstarter is the best, i bet you could find a lot of posts in this thread about how great that turned out

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fangz posted:

At least we take comfort in the alien queens having chitinous breasts.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Skyscraper posted:

I don't think mitigating damage vs aim is fitting with the idea of X-COM's (and JA's, while I'm at it) gameplay specifically, its actual mechanics aside, which is the part that I hate, and also what I was asking about. I'm not great at distilling what makes these games great, and why this violates that. I see what you mean about cover being less useful in EU (and UFO?) but I think there are better ways of doing that than damage mitigation. Then again, I liked cover in EU also, so :shrug:. It sure doesn't look like cover is helping a lot in PP, given that even a full shield of cover doesn't seem to stop the auto-hit return fire in the video. Sure, they'll probably change this a bunch before release, but it was maybe not the best mechanic to demo in a barely-finished state. Like, it'd be the thing I'd add last with a toggle switch.
I'd say aim in X-COM basically serves the role of providing the RNG bullshit we all love and hate. :v: Their absence in the Phoenix Point video is odd, but like I said, they probably didn't want constant misses distracting from the mechanics.
Also I didn't mean reducing damage is a replacement of aim, but it might be an improvement for some occasions. I always found it bullshit in new XCOM how focusing on full cover was just a "fake sense of security" as the RNG would still crit you half the time. If you're behind a wall it better well do something. Reducing damage makes more sense in this context.

Edit: Making mechanics "optional" is what got us in the real-time/turn-based Apocalypse mess, please don't wish that on any developer. :ohdear:

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 8, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Julian Gollop is a development legend who has been making squad-based games for a quarter century.

I'm fairly confident in his choice of mechanics and his reasons for their inclusion.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Julian Gollop is a development legend who has been making squad-based games for a quarter century.

I'm fairly confident in his choice of mechanics and his reasons for their inclusion.

I still recall when gaming legend John Romero made me his bitch with Daikatana.

Gollop has a solid resume but anyone can still miss no matter how talented they are. :xcom:

That said I'm happy with what I've seen so far and I hope they can deliver.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SupSuper posted:

Edit: Making mechanics "optional" is what got us in the real-time/turn-based Apocalypse mess, please don't wish that on any developer. :ohdear:
I liked Apocalypse in both time modes, I think I might be the only one :smith:

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
So holy poo poo did being the last game on Greenlight work out for my friends running their Kickstarter. Jim loving Sterling Son just did a video on them, making it the last in his Greenlight Good Stuff series, and it's super positive and he even linked the Kickstarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNdgxPEVKsk

I guess it's time to see what that does to an admittedly struggling campaign!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I still recall when gaming legend John Romero made me his bitch with Daikatana.

I see the problem: you bought into Daikatana's marketing that mediocre coat-tails rider John Romero, the guy who was fired from iD, was a gaming legend.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I see the problem: you bought into Daikatana's marketing that mediocre coat-tails rider John Romero, the guy who was fired from iD, was a gaming legend.

Daikatana may have been a piece of poo poo that only DoctorStrangelove could appreciate, but you're way underselling John Romero there dude.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 8, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I'd say Romero still has a lot of pull and is very highly regarded, despite the misfire that was Daikatana.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Daikatana was a very good idea that was poorly executed. I get what he was going for and, yes, the AI was all over the place, etc. but I really, really don't like it when half-truths are perpetuated. So, again, yes Romero was a hothead and could be arrogant back in the day but the Bitch advertising thing was NOT his idea and I feel stupid even having to point it out almost 20 years later. I get hyperbole about controversial figures but Romero is a legend of game design and the ad campaign was not his doing. Yeah, he signed on it but that was trusting his PR guy, which I guess wasn't always the best idea. I'm not fanboying it up, I just prefer the truth to hyperbole. Peace Love and Unity (3d).

I think what I'm trying to say is read Masters of Doom, it's really good.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 8, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I don't actually blame Romero for the misconception, btw. The Games Media wanted a rock star and Romero - with his locks, attitude, and personality - fit the bill.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Then stay informed and don't buy into either of the extremes, says I :D

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Skyscraper posted:

making your bad ideas mandatory to people who pre-ordered on kickstarter is the best, i bet you could find a lot of posts in this thread about how great that turned out

I too think random forum screechers should design games, not professional designers that have delivered multiple successful and fun games, including the original loving x com. I mean they managed to pitch in for 15 bucks, clearly that makes them qualified to design games.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

DatonKallandor posted:

I too think random forum screechers should design games, not professional designers that have delivered multiple successful and fun games, including the original loving x com. I mean they managed to pitch in for 15 bucks, clearly that makes them qualified to design games.

I gave them money, THEY OWE ME. It is now their solemn duty to cater to all of my demands, including the demands that contradict the other demands, and they should also know when I won't actually like the thing I'm demanding and be able to convince me that I won't like it or be willing to just put it in then patch it out later at their expense. Is that so much to ask?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

DatonKallandor posted:

random forum screechers should design games
You seem lost. You're on an internet forum about game discussion. gently caress right off with this.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I don't actually blame Romero for the misconception, btw. The Games Media wanted a rock star and Romero - with his locks, attitude, and personality - fit the bill.

In any case that's a pretty unique situation that doesn't seem to apply to Gollop.

Also I was just thinking, its pretty shrewd the way Phoenix Point is basically Terror from the Deep before the actual XCOM reboot series could get there.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW rather than talk about screechin' Romero or w/e, I went out and got some info on that Return Fire mechanic for anyone concerned about it. This is from a Q&A:

Q: How will return fire work? Will all enemies get a free shot at you every time you fire at them?
JG: Some weapons can allow return fire so long as the character has the ability to do it. Return fire is usually much less effective than your normal fire.

Q: So return fire is a speciality that will have to be acquired?
JG: Yes.

Q: Return fire does half-damage, right?
JG: At the moment, it’s half.

Enjoy the link if you want all kinds of good info on Phoenix Point:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/6fpzoo/questions_and_answers_from_julian_during/

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 8, 2017

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Mr Underhill posted:

Daikatana was a very good idea that was poorly executed. I'm not fanboying it up, I just

Mr Underhill posted:

Daikatana was a very good idea

Err, no.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/6fpzoo/questions_and_answers_from_julian_during/

Oh, that is some good info, thanks. That whole link has great news that I wasn't expecting. Including a chance for underwater DLC.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You couldn't sell me a game that's supposed to be similar to XCOM any harder than by telling me there's no miss chances or other RNG bullshit. My favorite turn based game (and one of the only ones I liked for the gameplay itself) is advance wars days of ruin, due in no small part to the fact that virtually everything is deterministic. If you shoot a bomber with an AA unit you know what will happen, which includes the fact that you will suffer some return damage because that always happens, and this consistency in damage done and returned allows the devs to precision balance the game and dissuade cheesy strategies. How well you're doing at the end of your turn actually reflects how well you played, and not whether or not you were lucky. There's nothing I hate more than a dice roll deciding to sometimes punish me for making a strategically sound move.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Digirat posted:

You couldn't sell me a game that's supposed to be similar to XCOM any harder than by telling me there's no miss chances or other RNG bullshit. My favorite turn based game (and one of the only ones I liked for the gameplay itself) is advance wars days of ruin, due in no small part to the fact that virtually everything is deterministic. If you shoot a bomber with an AA unit you know what will happen, which includes the fact that you will suffer some return damage because that always happens, and this consistency in damage done and returned allows the devs to precision balance the game and dissuade cheesy strategies. How well you're doing at the end of your turn actually reflects how well you played, and not whether or not you were lucky. There's nothing I hate more than a dice roll deciding to sometimes punish me for making a strategically sound move.

Did you like Frozen Synapse?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It says a lot about you if your favourite Advance Wars is Days of Ruin.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

njsykora posted:

Days of Ruin is a Good Game :colbert:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Just so it's clear, Phoenix Point will have miss chance, it just wasn't implemented in the demo. At least that's what the presenter in the longer demo playthrough posted earlier said.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd prefer some indie Fire Emblem or Ogre Battle games.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

that seems like an absolutely massive component of the game design to just "not have implemented yet," wow. Well they're going to need a lot more than what they've shown to hold my interest if that's the case.

Skyscraper posted:

Did you like Frozen Synapse?

I have not played it

njsykora posted:

It does; for example, it says that I am buff, attractive, and have good taste in video games.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Digirat posted:

that seems like an absolutely massive component of the game design to just "not have implemented yet," wow. Well they're going to need a lot more than what they've shown to hold my interest if that's the case.

The caveat was 'in the demo', not 'yet'. It is possible that they were trying to demonstrate certain things in the demo that would be impeded if there was a chance to miss.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

BTW rather than talk about screechin' Romero or w/e, I went out and got some info on that Return Fire mechanic for anyone concerned about it. This is from a Q&A:

Q: How will return fire work? Will all enemies get a free shot at you every time you fire at them?
JG: Some weapons can allow return fire so long as the character has the ability to do it. Return fire is usually much less effective than your normal fire.

Q: Return fire does half-damage, right?
JG: At the moment, it’s half.

I backed it, but I'm hoping they have some non brown enemies/levels, get a little color up in here.

Man sized mantis shrimp would gently caress you up.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Digirat posted:

That's because the game is a long way from being remotely close to done. They're running 100% chance to hit because they don't have the bullet tech done yet, so for now they are doing it XCOM style where it's roll dice, fudge visuals. Eventually it'll be roll dice, random scatter on bullets, track where bullets hit. They also don't have destructible environments, mutation systems or a strat layer. Yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Digirat posted:

I have not played it

If you like deterministic tactical games, it may be for you! I tried it and couldn't get it to work, and I've been hoping someone would tell me if the new Frozen Synapse Prime actually works.