Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously the best original generation rock and roll artist was Little Richard. I don't think that's in dispute. But as far as white rock and roll stars from the same era go, Gene Vincent was definitely the best. Either him or Dale Hawkins, but I think Vincent edges Hawkins out by dint of sheer volume of recorded material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
CCR was better than The Beatles.

But they were both great, so I'm still happy.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

hawowanlawow posted:

Elvis is cool, but Roy Orbison is cooler

This is a good post and shouldn't be in an unpopular opinion thread.

I'm still of the unpopular opinion that colorblindness is the best way to approach people. If it turns out they have had issues with class/race/gender struggles, then you modify your interactions with them. Assuming Joe feels this way about [x] because he is [y] is way way too presumptuous for my tastes and often nabs stereotypes to fill the gaps. My sister's family is Bengali integrated and folks are always coming up with doofy assumptions about what their lives have been, what's important to them and what challenges shaped them. And it's very often in the American-based mindset of "Bangladesh is a poor country and Bengalis are a minority here, so you must be really disadvantaged." Which leads to people treating them differently in unnecessary and sometimes insulting ways. (Assuming lack of education is a big one.)

Of course that doesn't mean you should carry on with how you hate Muslims in front of a Muslim dude, but you shouldn't be doing that in front of anyone, anyway.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer

Solice Kirsk posted:

The main character had to pick cotton (out of the chair) to save his life. I thought that was pretty funny.

Ha, wow, I didn't even put that together. If that was intentional, it was pretty subtle (for an idiot such as myself)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think at least 90% of the actors in The Sopranos were terrible actors. Gandolfini, Edie Falco, and some other main people were fantastic but people like Silvio and pretty much the rest of the crew were embarrassing to watch.

Compare it to The Wire and Six Feet Under. Those shows were like acting masterclasses in comparison.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aramek posted:

And the worst part is that the above falls under "being a racist/rear end in a top hat" but because it's rooted in Institutional Racism it gets a special term for it. Sadly, because dumb people get really hung up on the specific words they start to mistake a lot of cross cultural interaction as actual appropriation.

It was here on SA a while ago, someone much smarter than me pointed out something like "In this (definitional cultural appropriation misconceptions) regard, the far right and far left are in agreement, albeit for different reasons. The absolute refusal of cultural interaction becomes something much worse, Race Essentialism."

i just wanna let you know i spent 5 minutes yesterday crunching out a reply that got needlessly wordy and went on several paragraphs but then when i hit preview reply i saw this post that said everything i wanted to say but in 2 sentences

gj, very low key jealous here

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

That actually sounds like a better and more objective measure of how good a movie is than just averaging the scores though.

I think it communicates something different though. It basically answers the question of "is this a movie worth seeing?"

Which is probably the most important question and why it's featured. But it doesn't really tell you about the relative quality of two movies. Everyone enjoyed Toy Story 3, but that doesn't mean that they thought it was a better movie than The Godfather.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I don't think I've ever made a decision on a movie that was based on whether I thought it would be good or not. I just watch movies I'm interested in seeing. I can count on one hand the amount of movies I've seen that I took absolutely nothing from, I think you can learn from and enjoy just about every movie that's released.

Except for Bloodfist VIII: Hard Way Out

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mu Zeta posted:

I think at least 90% of the actors in The Sopranos were terrible actors. Gandolfini, Edie Falco, and some other main people were fantastic but people like Silvio and pretty much the rest of the crew were embarrassing to watch.

Compare it to The Wire and Six Feet Under. Those shows were like acting masterclasses in comparison.

It's not their fault, they're Italian.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Oh!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

That accurately reflects what Northern NJ life is like tbqh. Doesn't excuse it, just pointing it out.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

oldpainless posted:

I didn't mean to be posting this in direct response to someone but my unpopular opinion is that the recent meme of Italian jokes makes me pretty uncomfortable as an Italian-American.

That being said, gently caress Columbus Day though. I've been saying it should be renamed after a GOOD Italian -- Martin Scorsese.

I also don't understand how people whose ancestors immigrated to America and dealt with discrimination and racism can be against Mexican immigration.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

I also don't understand how people whose ancestors immigrated to America and dealt with discrimination and racism can be against Mexican immigration.

It ain't even new.

11th of January, 1893.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

Coffee And Pie posted:

I didn't mean to be posting this in direct response to someone but my unpopular opinion is that the recent meme of Italian jokes makes me pretty uncomfortable as an Italian-American.

I'll second that. My unpopular opinion is that it's fair game to roast individuals for what they do, and lovely to rip on groups for things outside of their control.

It's likewise OK to take pride in doing something good and lovely to take pride in being part of a group. Also, groups and communities are lovely to the extent the members congratulate themselves for being members.

TL;DR: Italian-American memes = bad. "Proud to be Italian" = also bad.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Coffee And Pie posted:

They would be against their ancestors too if they met them on the street.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

I've had many Irish-Americans tell me with a straight face that racism wasn't a big deal because "The Irish were persecuted too you know." Usually I shoot back that Boston was where I first experienced true-blue unironic racism, but even so they have this attitude that racism is something people just eventually "get over" as a culture. I blame the gently caress out of US public education for that, which paints the narrative of the West African Slave Trade through the Civil Rights movement and Obama as this linear march of progress that means today black people and all foreigners have risen above institutional and cultural prejudice aside from "a few bad apples."

Plus immigrants are always scary to the entrenched poor because of general xenophobia and the apprehension that more poor people in their community will equal a poorer economy, and the local rich are all too happy to encourage this notion for classic class war manipulation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Re: Cultural Appropriation. The thing that's easy to lose sight of is that we aren't talking about something illegal or banned. It's people getting called out for doing something tacky. Like, a white girl is free to wear Indian head dress to Coachella and that never will or should change, but she'll also get called out for looking stupid. I do think some people are offended by literally everything (ie. Asian salad lady) and they are the ones that come off looking bad. It's almost always a blogger or some clown of twitter.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I've had many Irish-Americans tell me with a straight face that racism wasn't a big deal because "The Irish were persecuted too you know." Usually I shoot back that Boston was where I first experienced true-blue unironic racism, but even so they have this attitude that racism is something people just eventually "get over" as a culture.
The part of this that really pisses me off is that Irish persecution "ended" when "Oh, I guess you do count as white!" happened.

Like, holy gently caress they're missing the point so god damned much.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Coffee And Pie posted:

That being said, gently caress Columbus Day though. I've been saying it should be renamed after a GOOD Italian -- Martin Scorsese.

Nobody remembers Amerigo Vespucci and he got two continents named after him!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The italians deserve everything they get. This country went to poo poo when the pasta-eaters came over, I swear.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They changed it to Indigenous People's Day here and I wish they picked a better name.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I actually dig the term "First Peoples" but like "Indigenous People" and "Native Americans" before it, you can't use it without starting political bullshit about "Political Correctness" and the typical bullshit.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Grew up next to a reservation. We had an actual Tribal staffed/run "Department of American Indian Studies" at my university. I asked why they still use that term, and the director said "because we specifically have nothing to do with the far northern/Inuit tribes".

Everyone around home just says Native or Tribal.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nothing good will come out of dwelling on the mistakes of generations past.

Then again, denying said mistakes is even worse.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aramek posted:

Grew up next to a reservation. We had an actual Tribal staffed/run "Department of American Indian Studies" at my university. I asked why they still use that term, and the director said "because we specifically have nothing to do with the far northern/Inuit tribes".

Everyone around home just says Native or Tribal.
Well then, I learned something today. Thank you.

-----------------

Something lighter: Cream Soda is the worst and if you like it I think less of your worth as a human being.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
How do you feel about orange cream soda?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Not as bad as cream soda not as good as orange soda.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cream soda is disgusting and terrible and a crime against all other sugar based drinks. Including those weird glucose sprays for aiding in crop growth.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Soda tastes like carbonated water with a bunch of sugar syrup in it, cream soda tastes like straight up carbonated syrup. It's disgustingly sweet.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cream soda is not worth the calories

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

After the age of 12 of so you should not be drinking carbonated sugar poo poo. Get some club soda or carbonated water and add a few drops of bitters of something if you want a flavoured carbonated drink.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

fruit on the bottom posted:

How do you feel about orange cream soda?
A gross perversion of the wonder that is Orange soda. Creamsicle flavor outside of actual creamsicles always sound better than the reality.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Cream soda is disgusting and terrible and a crime against all other sugar based drinks. Including those weird glucose sprays for aiding in crop growth.
To be fair I'd take a cream soda and dilute it with unflavored seltzer any day over Sucralose or any other artificial sweetener. Maybe I really am addicted to sugar like a heroin addict and fake sugar is methadone, but the truth remains. I can't even find loving Hawaiian Punch without Sucralose anymore. I mean sure that stuff is the harvested blood of a hyperglycemic corpse but dammit I want a cup of that + water once a year.

Baronjutter posted:

After the age of 12 of so you should not be drinking carbonated sugar poo poo. Get some club soda or carbonated water and add a few drops of bitters of something if you want a flavoured carbonated drink.
You can do this with any sweet drink really. Lemonade, Fruit Punch, Gatorade, etc. 1 parts sweet to 10 parts water/seltzer and you've got a really acceptable substitute for actual soda.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Same, but also lager.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i like pepsi, but i went in too deep with "pepsi fire" which was pepsi with too much cinnamon. oh dear it gave me the worst stomachache.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

One time I enjoyed a Pepsi walking around at night stoned

I've never been able to recapture that moment of Pepsi not being poo poo

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
MyGod you all sound like seltzer soaked wet blankets. I can't even drink sugar sodas, but you give me a diet ginger ale or a well chilled Fresca peach and I'm in heaven. Tons of ice, soda, sooo good. I get it, you don't wanna sound like a fat, but chill. Sweet stuff tastes good sometimes!

Cream soda is super gross though, totally agree.

A PHUO of mine is any drink that has a lot of bitters in it tastes terrible. I don't understand it.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Jun 9, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you really like sweet things instead of good and true bitter things it means your brain hasn't developed correctly.
http://www.medicaldaily.com/personality-traits-and-eating-habits-enjoying-bitter-foods-linked-dark-triad-356634

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I never claimed my brain was properly developed. I try not to lie.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fizzymercy posted:

I never claimed my brain was properly developed. I try not to lie.

My brain is huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
My favorite part

quote:

They also found that for people with sadistic traits, the consumption of bitter foods was comparable to a rollercoaster ride, where they enjoyed things that induced fear, according to Sagioglou.