Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
"Heavy rock" as a term has been around since the mid-'60s and was once used interchangeably with "heavy metal" and "hard rock", especially when people wanted to distance themselves from the 'heavy metal' label. However, as its own term, it never really went anywhere until just very recently with the massive surge in popularity of stoner rock/metal. See that thread.
In recent days, I've been seeing more and more attaching themselves to the "heavy rock" label to differentiate themselves from these other genres. I'm not the biggest fan of labels, but I'm not so pretentious as to think they don't serve a purpose or that humans are magically capable of not labeling themselves/others.

Sonically, "heavy rock" can be easily confused with hard rock, heavy metal, stoner rock, grunge rock, and a few other styles precisely because there's so much overlap. However, there's one band that acts as a maypole for the whole style:

Perhaps you're starting to see why stoner rock fans in particular started calling themselves heavy rockers. But the thing about heavy rock is that it's not obsessed solely with Master of Reality or the slower, doomy aspects of the early Sabbath sound. It's really more or less hard rock with a larger focus on riffs and a quasi-metallic sound. For example: Soundgarden and Wolfmother can easily be considered heavy rock, but Three Days Grace and Chevelle have nothing to do with the style. They're a completely different subgenre of hard rock.

It's yet to really 'catch on', but there's even a visual style coupled with it. Going as far back as the late '70s, heavy rockers were identified by shaggy hair and denim and occasionally leather. Heavy metal (especially glam metal) ran with that, and thrash metal tried staying true to the roots. Grunge rock started as a throwback to late '60s/early '70s garage rock filtered through punk rock. They said "gently caress spandex and hairspray, we're wearing cheap denim and shagging our hair." So the "look" revived with them until the alt-rock style started really taking off. Plenty of the early '90s alt-rock bands were very much heavy rock, however. Even the likes of Rage Against The Machine for their debut.

I'm guessing that the reason why heavy rockers love long, shaggy hair and a lot of denim is because it invokes the days before hard rock and heavy metal sold big. When you're just a few kids playing in bars and your garage, you slap on whatever's in your closet. And rock music was known for long hair back in the '60s and '70s (for reasons I still don't fully understand), so it can also be a throwback to when rock music was at its "purest" form. No one's really using the style either, so heavy rockers are going with it.

Here's what I mean by "heavy rock". You can definitely see the overlap, and a lot of bands have played with the style.

Brats - B-Brains
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Orange Goblin - Alcofuel
Alice in Chains - Died
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Orchid - Mountains of Steel
Wolfmother - 10000 Feet
Iron Claw - Skullcrusher
Buffalo - Sunrise (Coming My Way)
Nebula - So It Goes
Iron Man - I Have Returned
Pentagram - Much Too Young To Know
Witchfinder General - Friends of Hell
Iron Maiden - Phantom of the Opera
Judas Priest - Dissident Aggressor
Queen - Dead On Time
Rage Against The Machine - Know Your Enemy
Thin Lizzy - Holy War
The Machine - Pyro
Heavy Eyes - Iron Giants
Radio Moscow - Summer of 1942
Deep Jimi & The Zep Creams - Whales and Snow

I know Graveyard and Radio Moscow are keeping it up, and I've got a lot of love for Royal Blood. But I'm still scouting out for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
More examples:

Soundgarden - Rusty Cage

Blue Cheer - I'm Gonna Get You

Sweet Savage - Killing Time

Blue Öyster Cult - Godzilla

Soundgarden - Gun

Iron Claw - Claustrophobia

Yuli Ban fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 3, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

this is all just hard rock or early heavy metal

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

A human heart posted:

this is all just hard rock or early heavy metal

I pointed that out already, though.

It's hard rock, but the term "hard rock" goes fast and loose these days and can describe a wide variety of styles.
This is hard rock. So is this. As is this..

But only the third can be considered "heavy rock" if we're going by the modern usage of the word.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
ah yeah good ol HEAVY ROCK

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i like my rock like i like my women, heavy and completely divorced from blues-based musical traditions

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Remember early Tool?

Tool - Cold and Ugly

When I rediscovered Tool seven years ago back in 2010, it was through this track.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Yuli Ban posted:

Remember early Tool?

Tool - Cold and Ugly

When I rediscovered Tool seven years ago back in 2010, it was through this track.

poo poo that makes me feel old: I had this on cassette.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heavy Rock(s) owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-tUXR_ekBA

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Speaking of Boris, I just found out they're releasing a new album this year. And by "this year", I mean next month. Funny, I could've sworn they had said they released their last album, but I guess that's sort of like when classic rock bands say they're going on their 13th farewell tour.

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
I can't believe I almost forgot about this band

The Atomic Bitchwax - No Way Man

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Diamond Head - Streets Of Gold

Good riffs on this one.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Gotta Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCf2ZZLHy-k

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

But can you roll?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yuli Ban posted:

But can you roll?
Then you let it pop
Go, let it go?

Y2J
Aug 18, 2000

The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah
Iron Maiden's tours are always a spectacle. The LA show is in the worst venue ever, the Glen Helen Amphitheater. Maiden is one of the very few bands I would go there to see. Is anyone else going to see them this summer?

http://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-legal-dispute-hallowed-be-thy-name-the-nomad/ - this lawsuit seems just a bit late to actually matter

Y2J fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 28, 2017

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I went to watch (Ritchie Blackmore's) Rainbow last night, dude is still pretty good considering he is 72.

My wife thought it was too loud.

(Sweet were the support, they played the GoTG2 song, it was great).

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang
there's plenty of stuff these days in the garage scene that's definitely on the sabbath spectrum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeOrBXEhOSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uDAXBYCS74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeVHftZlJBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFZUwtdejBo

you can basically pick it out by the album art lol

edit: I also agree that this distinction from hard rock or heavy metal or whatever is pretty meaningless

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

THIS THREAD

USELESS

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ah man I was all stoked thinking this was the new "stoner rock" thread

Time to watch Such Hawks Such Hounds again, I guess.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I prefer Welter Rock.

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Bored, so here are some riffs with instruments optionally attached.

Witchfinder General - Shadowed Images
Witchcraft - Hey, Doctor
Rush - Finding My Way
Budgie - Guts

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Every band you've listed already fits in somewhere. This is just overlaying an extra category onto everything and seems needlessly complicated. But what do I know.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Spatulater bro! posted:

Every band you've listed already fits in somewhere. This is just overlaying an extra category onto everything and seems needlessly complicated. But what do I know.

Yeah I'm all for new threads but we already have a stoner thread and this is getting a little too PYF

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
I believe the point of contention is that a lot of material here could fit in the stoner rock/metal thread, but a lot of it couldn't. I'm not exactly sure I'd get away with posting Queen, Rush, Buffalo, Thin Lizzy, or Alice in Chains in there, for example, despite these bands possessing several rifftastic, Sabbathy tracks. And I could post them in the Hard Rock thread... but my intention was to have a thread basically dedicated to riff rock. And the term I've seen passed around for this general riff-centric style, ranging from classic hard rock to grunge to stoner rock, is "heavy rock". Whether it's from the mouths of the original grunge artists or '90s stoner rock bands themselves, they tend to prefer calling themselves 'heavy rock'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

more like

heavy cock

(it's mine)

• Locked thread