Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Emron posted:

I...I think I actually need tier 3 spells next R. Thankfully, I will pick up T3 for CtA, GC, and SS (and probably brainwave) while the game's offline today.

I still have trouble affording even tier 2 SS and DB. The faction coin costs are too high. Is that going to get better as I go on?

As always in this game, yes it will get better eventually. SS and DB are the most expensive so don't expect to be able to get to T6 until mid to late R60s unless you specifically grind up FCs. One of the Dragon Challenges and Artifacts needs T5 Dragon's Breath and there's a build for getting to it and some of the other challenges in one go. It obviously involves grinding for FCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Emron posted:

I...I think I actually need tier 3 spells next R. Thankfully, I will pick up T3 for CtA, GC, and SS (and probably brainwave) while the game's offline today.

I still have trouble affording even tier 2 SS and DB. The faction coin costs are too high. Is that going to get better as I go on?

Yes. Once you get into merc research, buying T6 for all spells takes about 30 seconds, as does buying lineages up to 20.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm on R52 in realm grinder and I just realized what the buy all button on the research page does

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So yeah, uh... that factory I had in FactoryIdle was running efficiently overnight, giving me about a billion total. Some upgrades later...

I think last I checked I was -$9k a tick since it was still 4 oil, 1 coal, 2 gas to a plastic maker.

TIME TO RESET THE FACTORY AGAIN.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I was trying to go for 30M mana with a mercenary build, turned on autocasting at 350 mana/s and closed the game. Checked it again now, 4h23m later I have produced 1.4M mana :wtc:
How does that work? Offline mana production is 1/4 of my real mana regeneration for some reason?
E: Holy poo poo does the autocasting upgrade text mean that with the first two upgrades I get 35% of my mana regeneration offline? I thought it meant I get 1.35 times my regen, gently caress me.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 8, 2017

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

I was trying to go for 30M mana with a mercenary build, turned on autocasting at 350 mana/s and closed the game. Checked it again now, 4h23m later I have produced 1.4M mana :wtc:
How does that work? Offline mana production is 1/4 of my real mana regeneration for some reason?
E: Holy poo poo does the autocasting upgrade text mean that with the first two upgrades I get 35% of my mana regeneration offline? I thought it meant I get 1.35 times my regen, gently caress me.

There's an autocasting upgrade you can get that reduces that penalty, but yeah you get severely reduced mana generation initially when offline.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Emron posted:

There's an autocasting upgrade you can get that reduces that penalty, but yeah you get severely reduced mana generation initially when offline.

I'm actually going for that upgrade but for some mysterious reason I thought it needs 30M mana not 6M.
Is it too early to go deep in mana generation?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm actually going for that upgrade but for some mysterious reason I thought it needs 30M mana not 6M.
Is it too early to go deep in mana generation?

Planned autocasting takes 30M. I'm not sure what R you're on, but you can grab a special mana regen merc build and go for getting all the autocasting upgrades alongside mana waste, but it'll take a day or so to run depending on your R.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm jealous of those who play RG. I wish I could get back into it but ever since that graphic change I cannot and I've tried.

Really could use a new idle game that isn't Tap Titans 2.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
To be fair, most of the time I'm looking at this

So it's just the old interface shuffled around a bit with less pointless empty space and the background almost disappears.
Speaking of the graphics changes though, with the new interface, any time I play any reasonably modern 3D videojame, RG just freezes because I guess Firefox or Flash just can't handle the graphics card being used for something else?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I play entirely mobile, and only started a couple months ago. What changed about the UI? I know people were pretty upset about it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

GrossMurpel posted:

Speaking of the graphics changes though, with the new interface, any time I play any reasonably modern 3D videojame, RG just freezes because I guess Firefox or Flash just can't handle the graphics card being used for something else?
Are the games set to fullscreen mode? It might play nicer if you user borderless windowed, since then the game isn't taking full control of the GPU for that monitor.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sindai posted:

Are the games set to fullscreen mode? It might play nicer if you user borderless windowed, since then the game isn't taking full control of the GPU for that monitor.

Hah yeah I just figured this out 5 minutes ago. Now I just need to hope that doesn't make games run like poo poo.
E: I don't have the Goblin spell upgrade yet where you need to cast their skill 100 times in a row. Can I only unlock that while allied with them or can I use a merc build?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 8, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Emron posted:

I play entirely mobile, and only started a couple months ago. What changed about the UI? I know people were pretty upset about it.
Screenshot up there is how it looks now.

What it used to look like, first Google result I could find:

The background changed with your faction, the building bars changed color for good/evil/neutral, the assistant changed appearance with faction as well.

And honestly, unironically, sincerely, nonsarcastically, I liked it a million times better when it was primitive like that.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Emron posted:

Things that you need to do often require one more click than they used to, is the part people are upset about. I think the biggest example was Royal Exchanges, which are (or were when I tried to play RG with the new UI) in a menu opened from the upgrade screen instead of just being in the upgrade screen, and are something you buy about as often as buildings.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I just enabled the option that buys exchanges with the "buy all" button on the upgrades screen.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

DACK FAYDEN posted:

And honestly, unironically, sincerely, nonsarcastically, I liked it a million times better when it was primitive like that.

Agree with that 100%. I loved just how basic and easy it was to read. I don't need fancy stuff with my idle game.

Maybe one day I'll get back to it and figure it out.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Nice. I don't mind the current UI, but it's all I know.

Dragon challenge 2 is gonna take a while at R51, right?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

Agree with that 100%. I loved just how basic and easy it was to read. I don't need fancy stuff with my idle game.

Maybe one day I'll get back to it and figure it out.

Yeah I stopped when I unlocked most of the researches back when the old UI was still around, went back to it to see the new UI once but couldn't figure out where anything was, and just immediately gave up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

widespread posted:

So yeah, uh... that factory I had in FactoryIdle was running efficiently overnight, giving me about a billion total. Some upgrades later...

I think last I checked I was -$9k a tick since it was still 4 oil, 1 coal, 2 gas to a plastic maker.

TIME TO RESET THE FACTORY AGAIN.

That's about the point where I quit. Just couldn't be bothered to gut everything and rebuild again.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The old design was stick-figure garbage but it was 100% readable and so it became charming if you stuck with it. The new design works best as something you see in the background of a movie/tv show, not an actual thing you use. It's not a big deal if you're on mobile, though.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

GrossMurpel posted:

I don't have the Goblin spell upgrade yet where you need to cast their skill 100 times in a row. Can I only unlock that while allied with them or can I use a merc build?
I don't exactly remember but mercs might be able to unlock spell upgrades.

Merc builds definitely DO NOT count for any of the faction challenges though I can say for certain.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 8, 2017

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It kinda sucks living in a time zone where UTC 12pm to 6pm is "I'm asleep or heading to work and starting my day"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

GrossMurpel posted:

E: I don't have the Goblin spell upgrade yet where you need to cast their skill 100 times in a row. Can I only unlock that while allied with them or can I use a merc build?
Spell upgrades are tied to trophies, which don't have alliance requirements unless they explicitly say so.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Okay I have finally unlocked Merc Research and MOTHER OF GOD THIS OWNS.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Buzkashi posted:

Okay I have finally unlocked Merc Research and MOTHER OF GOD THIS OWNS.

Don't forget to pick up the Know Your Enemy 2 artifact at R76 and to get all your lineages up to level 20.

It's also worth noting that you can unlock a faction spell from the L15 perk when not using that lineage. For example, I completed the dwarf and angel (10k excavations and 8 hours god's hand uptime, respectively) spell perk challenges while using dragon lineage. Some of the challenges are bullshit that I don't foresee doing anytime soon though, like drow (30 days offline time) and demon (10 days HFB uptime in a single game). I wish they wouldn't keep putting huge timesinks like that in.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The drow one is almost certainly cumulative across reincarnations, I didn't spend a month offline in R75 even considering the UL15 unlock.

I'm just going to put off the demon one until I need to do the T6 unlocks for my other spells anyway. I got CtA, Dragon's Breath and Spiritual Surge in R75 but reincarnated before grabbing Gem Grinder because I was using Good mercs.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

GrossMurpel posted:

To be fair, most of the time I'm looking at this

So it's just the old interface shuffled around a bit with less pointless empty space and the background almost disappears.

You mean you don't turn off 'group by category' and just collapse the giant list of bought upgrades? :psyduck:

Also I've just noticed today that the 'cinematic mode' on Kongregate makes the RG window a big bigger. Which is nice, because now I don't have to scroll through the research upgrade window anymore. :)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Super secret protip: When using that one mana regen build that uses assistants to boost your regen, don't loving forgot to actually use Fairy Chanting like an idiot.

Merijn posted:

You mean you don't turn off 'group by category' and just collapse the giant list of bought upgrades? :psyduck:

Also I've just noticed today that the 'cinematic mode' on Kongregate makes the RG window a big bigger. Which is nice, because now I don't have to scroll through the research upgrade window anymore. :)

Yeah I don't, I pretty much only use the buy all button normally anyway and it makes upgrades easier to find since I frequently forget what everything does and check it again. Also helps in not accidentally buying gem power for challenges or secret trophies where it's not allowed.

Completely unrelated, can anyone tell me why some challenge bonuses are deactivated all the time? For example, I just finished Angel challenge 2, reincarnated, and went Angel + Angel Bloodline again just to check it out and it still had the red X.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GrossMurpel posted:

Completely unrelated, can anyone tell me why some challenge bonuses are deactivated all the time? For example, I just finished Angel challenge 2, reincarnated, and went Angel + Angel Bloodline again just to check it out and it still had the red X.

quote:

Vanilla Faction challenges: Tier 1 upgrades boost the faction it belongs to. Tier 2 upgrades boosts another Faction. Last Tier upgrades are universal and boost basic perks. Completing all the challenges of a Faction rewards a spell upgrade. The last Tiers and Spell upgrades can be used also with Mercenaries, and their respective Factions, with or without Dwarf or Drow.

Neutral Faction challenges: Tier 1 upgrades boost it's own faction, Tier 2 and Tier 3 upgrades boosts each other Neutral Faction, and Tier 4 upgrades are universal.

Prestige Faction challenges: Tier 1 upgrades boost Dwarven-Angels or Drow-Demons, Tier 2 upgrades boost Dwarven-Fairies or Drow-Goblins, Tier 3 upgrades boost Dwarven-Elves or Drow-Undead, Tier 4 upgrades boost all Dwarven or all Drow, and Tier 5 upgrades are universal.

http://musicfamily.org/realm/Challenges/

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

GrossMurpel posted:

Super secret protip: When using that one mana regen build that uses assistants to boost your regen, don't loving forgot to actually use Fairy Chanting like an idiot.

Yeah I don't, I pretty much only use the buy all button normally anyway and it makes upgrades easier to find since I frequently forget what everything does and check it again. Also helps in not accidentally buying gem power for challenges or secret trophies where it's not allowed.

The race/bloodline that unlocks the challenge is not necessarily the race/bloodline that benefits from it. Angel Challenge 2 provides a bonus when playing as Undead.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Klungar posted:

The race/bloodline that unlocks the challenge is not necessarily the race/bloodline that benefits from it. Angel Challenge 2 provides a bonus when playing as Undead.

Many thanks. Guess I'll just keep finishing all challenges I can and be pleasantly surprised when the bonuses apply to my current run.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

Many thanks. Guess I'll just keep finishing all challenges I can and be pleasantly surprised when the bonuses apply to my current run.

The last challenge bonuses apply universally, and some are loving great (the last dwarf challenge bonus is crucial to some research unlocks).

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I just got to Neutral research a bit ago and I devised a build that used the faceless bloodline with druid for a massive mana pool > assistants and the growth is steady, but it isn't as good as I thought it would be. It was offline over night and the mana pool is about 75k. I wouldn't call the build a bust, but what builds do folks use for the vanilla > neutral transition? I'm able to get to 1 TG with fairies alright, but after that it's a little sketch getting up to my R gem count with neutrals.

It seems like there's two rough outlines: focus on your unique building (typically with assistants) or focus on all your non-unique buildings (typically offline bonus?)

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

There's a titan research that makes lightning always hit halls of legends. I'm pretty sure that makes Titans the best pick even before ascension where it's definitely the best pick until like R 55 or something.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
R27-29 were very slow going for me and I'm not sure what can be done to speed it up; even the titan build with the lightning strike research was pretty slow going. All I can say is if you can spare the time to play during the production phase of sun force then that will catapult you through them.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

R27-29 were very slow going for me and I'm not sure what can be done to speed it up; even the titan build with the lightning strike research was pretty slow going. All I can say is if you can spare the time to play during the production phase of sun force then that will catapult you through them.

I agree. I remember how wild it was to hit research for the first time purely because of how slow 27-29 were.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone have good Dwarf or Drow builds to grind out excavations post-prestige for chances at the artifacts?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone have good Dwarf or Drow builds to grind out excavations post-prestige for chances at the artifacts?

http://musicfamily.org/realm/PBuilds/

Any old dwarf production build that you use for gems will work for excavations too, just sub in E290 for your least useful E upgrade so you get more excavations. (E150, E200, E330 are fairly consistent keepers in most builds that I see there, so probably scrap one of the others.)

For drow, use the "Flame Chance" build on that link.

You may wish to tweak any of the builds slightly due to formula changes in the recent patch (which was May 30 2017, not 2016 as the link says). Once you get your build rolling, try mousing over tooltips for some of the researches you didn't take and see if any look more useful than the ones you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

So now that I've hit R54, I...I just can't do it. I'm going to use a time warp for dragon challenge 3. I've got 10 days on faceless and 3.5 on titan. That's about 15 days I'd have to leave it running. I'm an impatient man.