Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Halifax isn't getting a team this century lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Now that the Islanders are in Brooklyn, maybe it's time for Suffolk county on Long Island to get a team, huh? Long Island could support a team! Totally! C'mon guys, hey, where are you going? THE RINK COULD GO IN CALVERTON GUYS COME BACK

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

hifi posted:

was the "thunder bay-sudbury market" thing a joke? i thought one of the talking heads suggested it

Thunder Bay to Sudbury is 600 miles. that is not a market.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

hifi posted:

was the "thunder bay-sudbury market" thing a joke? i thought one of the talking heads suggested it

That was Nate Silver being Nate Silver.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Tank44 posted:

Thunder Bay to Sudbury is 600 miles. that is not a market.

Yeah, compare and contrast with the "Edmonton Calgary" market that's considerably less distance.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This is also true. I think he believes having too much French involvement alienates new fans or something.

I was thinking more of the media and the players, but yeah

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Troy Queef posted:

is Bettman's hatred of Quebec strictly because they're tiny? they have a huge money guy in PKP, Winnipeg has shown that it can work in mid-sized Canadian markets, plus isn't there a poster here who has stories of how his family would get into proper fights because of the Habs-Nords rivalry?

1) it's a tiny market (I think Quebec itself is larger than Winnipeg, but the potential fanbase is smaller)
2) it straight up doesn't have the potential growth that a Seattle or a Las Vegas has
3) it is 100% francophone
4) it is unlikely to pull in large national or multinational company sponsor money and will always be rooted to the bottom of the midpack without significant owner expenditure
5) it's unlikely to help Bettman's legacy of growth for the NHL in any way and will be a tacit admission that at least one of the southern expansion strategy teams failed.

Outside of Lindros - who has maintained the reason he didn't want to go was because he wanted to go to college/university and didn't think he could do that in a monolingual French city (he's lying, it's because his dad felt he could make more ad money in a city like Toronto or New York) - Quebec hasn't had a long history of driving players or coaches away, and strangely never had the Habs rule of Francophone coaches and captains.
The NHLPA would infinitely prefer having a team like Quebec in the league because it will be super stable and will also have better turnover than teams like Arizona, Florida and Carolina for the first decade of it's existence which in turn will increase their slice of the pie. How it'll go after that first decade is strongly up for debate.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 9, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
IMO the NHL should put a team in Mexico City.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Screw Mexico City. They should do what the CWHL did and just place a team in China right now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Isn't the KHL in trouble, the NHL should just buy them out and make them a new division

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Isn't the KHL in trouble, the NHL should just buy them out and make them a new division

:bisonyes:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Rotten Cookies posted:

Now that the Islanders are in Brooklyn, maybe it's time for Suffolk county on Long Island to get a team, huh? Long Island could support a team! Totally! C'mon guys, hey, where are you going? THE RINK COULD GO IN CALVERTON GUYS COME BACK

Just buy a boat and root for the Whalers.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
A team in QC does little for growing the fanbase and TV contracts, but it'll still be a goldmine for gate revenues. To compensate for this, Mr. Quebecois billionaire sugar daddy is going to have to pay a higher expansion fee than the $500m that Vegas paid. Just like teams threatening to leave town if they don't get an arena, the league knows what people want and they'll make them pay for it.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
canada is never getting another team until the CAD isn't terrible anymore and thats not happening anytime soon/ever

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Vegas seems to be more interested in what restaurant will be moving into the team's practice facility in the suburbs than who is actually going to be on the team.

fits posted:

canada is never getting another team until the CAD isn't terrible anymore and thats not happening anytime soon/ever

Canada is an export economy, so it'll always be a few notches below USD or else some hockey fans will be laid off.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i wonder what GMs think when vegas picks their first RFA in the expansion draft. it's basically a free offer sheet

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Listened to an interview with Tim Leiwickie on Brock and Salk, one of the Seattle radio shows. Interesting stuff. He talks like a man who has already won, to a certain extent. He kept repeating a line about not criticizing other proposals, not getting into mud-slinging--easy to say when you think you have things locked up. Very adamant that they are pursuing NHL expansion in the immediate future, and that the rebuilt Key would not be just for entertainment. He talks a good game, but as Mike Tyson said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

That said, if he can get City Council approval, and if they can get the 2019 NCAA Tournament games moved, shovels will be in the ground late 2018/early 2019, targeting NHL start date in 2021 or 2022. The OVG plan is less a renovation and more a total tear-down, roughly doubling the size of the arena and keeping only the historic roof so that the project can use federal historic tax credits. Leiwickie was also very clear about no public funds being used for the arena, and if that is not true people will reveal it soon enough to be sure. I am cautiously encouraged. The Key was not my first choice, but this plan sounds like it would result in a fantastic arena (albeit one without acceptable public transit for at least another 10 years after opening).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the monorail would at least be like, 25% acceptable if they would just loving accept ORCA cards already

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the monorail would at least be like, 25% acceptable if they would just loving accept ORCA cards already

You'd think a Seattle NHL team's fanbase would hate ORCAs.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

all-Rush mixtape posted:

ORCA is the name of our transit card that works on 80% of transit options

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Tank44 posted:

ORCA is the name of our transit card that works on 80% of transit options

vancouvercanuckslogo.png

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I got and enjoyed it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

all-Rush mixtape posted:

vancouvercanuckslogo.png

not sure why they would hate the nearest NHL team seattle will ever have

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/874697254791135232

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
If Phaneuf not waiving means a Ceci trade then this could be his most useful moment as a Senator

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

SinBin guy, reveal yourself you coward.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

yellowcar posted:

SinBin guy, reveal yourself you coward.

what did he do now?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Duke Chin posted:

what did he do now?

Exist.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I have a really hard time seeing a metro area less than 1 million people, even a Canadian one, being able to successfully support a team. Winnipeg has struggles and they're significantly larger than Halifax.

whut

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's​ because their arenas location sucks, Winnipeg is considered cold by Canadian standards, and their ownership is cheap. They were voted least attractive by a player's poll.

Halifax might be able to avoid the ownership issues, and would give the maritimes their​ own team. They're also warmer. These things matter.

The MTS centre is right down town and the Jets have the richest ownership in the league and the second richest ownership in pro sports.

Winnipeg is about the smallest city that could support an NHL team. They have a similar population as Halifax+Saskatoon+Regina combined

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 14, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
They have the smallest arena in the league and can't sell out. They lost a team once already.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

whut

The MTS centre is right down town and the Jets have the richest ownership in the league and the second richest ownership in pro sports.

Winnipeg is about the smallest city that could support an NHL team. They have a similar population as Halifax+Saskatoon+Regina combined

Rich ownership =/= ownership that's willing to spend. Every pro sports owner is rich.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They have the smallest arena in the league and can't sell out. They lost a team once already.

Who says they don't sell out? This has them at over 100% attendance... http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Pretty sure being a couple hundred tickets short of a sell out isn't going to run the jets out of town

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Duck Rodgers posted:

Pretty sure being a couple hundred tickets short of a sell out isn't going to run the jets out of town

It's not a great trend, but yeah.
The salary cap, an owner with actual money and a city that remembers not having a pro-sports team anyone else cares about is going to go a long way.

Winnipeg is probably the absolute limit of where you can put a team though, and that's what's probably part of what's stopping Quebec City from getting a team (QC would be right on the border line with the Habs, the Francophone stuff and the Habs).

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Kevyn posted:

Who says they don't sell out? This has them at over 100% attendance... http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

How is that even possible? :psyduck:

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

How is that even possible? :psyduck:

Standing Room Only tickets

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Double post

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Krime posted:

Standing Room Only tickets

Plus the NHL lists outdoor games as attendance so the 33k Winnipeg had for the Heritage Classic is factored in as well.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I'm pretty sure the BellMTS Centre (gently caress Bell) doesn't have any standing room tickets, so it must be all from the Heritage Classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Apperently sports teams consider 99% attendance to be a sellout so by that metric they've sold out every single game for the past 6 seasons

They've also been between 10-20 in team revenue every year they've been in Winnipeg and have never had to accept revenue sharing from the league

So yeah, you're pretty wrong here. Unless over half the league have financial struggles?

• Locked thread