Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

aBagorn posted:

Funny enough - I wouldn't keep it over any of EMOTION B Sides, but there are a few tracks on the original that it's (imo) clearly better than (Warm Blood is the first one that comes to mind)

you misspelled LA Hallucinations. Also Black Heart and Store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

you misspelled LA Hallucinations. Also Black Heart and Store.

LA Hallucinations? You misspelled I Didn't Just Come Here to Dance (yawn) and Making the Most of the Night (sounds too loving Sia).

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Athletic Footjob posted:

LA Hallucinations? You misspelled I Didn't Just Come Here to Dance (yawn) and Making the Most of the Night (sounds too loving Sia).

Sia's version of that song is embarrassing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

aBagorn posted:

Funny enough - I wouldn't keep it over any of EMOTION B Sides, but there are a few tracks on the original that it's (imo) clearly better than (Warm Blood is the first one that comes to mind)

Warm Blood is like, the fourth/fifth best song on EMOTION. Everybody knows that Let's Get Lost is obviously the weakest on the entire album and I'd take most of the B-sides and the new one over it.

e: just did my own personal ranking, it's the sixth best:

1. Run Away With Me
2. Your Type
3. EMOTION
4. Gimme Love
5. All That
6. Warm Blood
7. Boy Problems
8. I Really Like You
9. When I Needed You
10. Making the Most of the Night
11. LA Hallucinations
12. Let's Get Lost

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 30, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Let's get lost is actually very good and cute

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Welp - I have CONTRARY opinions to you, exquisite tea!

1. Run Away With Me
2. All That
3. Gimme Love
4. EMOTION
5. Your Type
6. Making the Most of the Night
7. Boy Problems
8. Let's Get Lost
9. I Really Like You
10. When I Needed You
11. Warm Blood
12. LA Hallucinations

e: \/ the top 9 songs are like A list singles on pretty much any other album

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 30, 2017

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I Really Like You is easily top 5 material.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Top 3 best songs on E•MO•TION:

1. Run Away With Me
2. Never Get To Hold You
3. Favorite Color

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

i'm just posting from the store from the store

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I really like Warm Blood :/ All That is the only real skip track on Emotion for me.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

lemme get in on this ranking poo poo. This really solidifies how good I feel that the bonus tracks and B-sides were. 7-18 were almost impossible to rank because it really depends on my mood and they're all so perfect. Like, All That is the perfect "slow dance at prom" song and When I Needed You is the perfect "end to an 80s movie" song. And if we're being perfectly honest, Cut to the Feeling would probably slot in right before Boy Problems on this list.

1. Run Away With Me
2. Your Type
3. Fever
4. I Really Like You
5. Never Get To Hold You
6. Higher
7. First Time
8. Body Language
9. Gimmie Love
10. Cry
11. The One
12. When I Needed You
13. All That
14. Love Again
15. Boy Problems
16. I Didn't Just Come Here To Dance
17. Making The Most of the Night
18. Warm Blood
19. Emotion
20. Let's Get Lost
21. Favourite Colour
22. Roses
23. Store
24. Black Heart
25. LA Hallucinations

Also, so there's slightly more content in this post than the correct rankings of Emotion songs, a homework project for people listening to this album: put on Fever a couple times and then imagine it done by one of those pop/punk bands that existed around 2008/9 (think Boys Like Girls, Good Charlotte, Move Along-era All-American Rejects or We The Kings). It fits so perfectly that I kinda wish there were a punk band that did pop music covers because I also secretly thought Kesha songs would sound really good done by a punk band.

edit: I'm very glad we all agree that Run Away With Me is the best song. If your soul doesn't start flying the moment that sax kicks in at the very beginning I don't think you have one

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 31, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Reflecting upon my own rankings I think I like CRJ's Pat Benatar side more than the Debbie Gibson.

Doesn't matter though because everything she does is gold anyway, carlyraeisbae.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Athletic Footjob posted:

I Didn't Just Come Here to Dance is good, once you realise that what she means is, she came here to gently caress.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

I Didn't Just Come Here to Dance is good, once you realise that what she means is, she came here to gently caress.

It has a great intro but it truly feels like a minute long idea that was rearranged into a song. Each time I listen to it I expect it to be better than it should be and it never is. It's such a weirdly disappointing track.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

lemme get in on this ranking poo poo. This really solidifies how good I feel that the bonus tracks and B-sides were. 7-18 were almost impossible to rank because it really depends on my mood and they're all so perfect. Like, All That is the perfect "slow dance at prom" song and When I Needed You is the perfect "end to an 80s movie" song. And if we're being perfectly honest, Cut to the Feeling would probably slot in right before Boy Problems on this list.

1. Run Away With Me
2. Your Type
3. Fever
4. I Really Like You
5. Never Get To Hold You
6. Higher
7. First Time
8. Body Language
9. Gimmie Love
10. Cry
11. The One
12. When I Needed You
13. All That
14. Love Again
15. Boy Problems
16. I Didn't Just Come Here To Dance
17. Making The Most of the Night
18. Warm Blood
19. Emotion
20. Let's Get Lost
21. Favourite Colour
22. Roses
23. Store
24. Black Heart
25. LA Hallucinations

Also, so there's slightly more content in this post than the correct rankings of Emotion songs, a homework project for people listening to this album: put on Fever a couple times and then imagine it done by one of those pop/punk bands that existed around 2008/9 (think Boys Like Girls, Good Charlotte, Move Along-era All-American Rejects or We The Kings). It fits so perfectly that I kinda wish there were a punk band that did pop music covers because I also secretly thought Kesha songs would sound really good done by a punk band.

edit: I'm very glad we all agree that Run Away With Me is the best song. If your soul doesn't start flying the moment that sax kicks in at the very beginning I don't think you have one

The biggest flaw here is favorite color being so low. Thank god run away with me is everyone's number 1. Because it is.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Pinterest Mom posted:

the best part is how she's kinda unsure if you get it, so after saying "if you know what I mean" she has to ask "do you know what I mean?" like a big dork who has never once flirted in her life.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

the best part is how she's kinda unsure if you get it, so after saying "if you know what I mean" she has to ask "do you know what I mean?" like a big dork who has never once flirted in her life.
I'm pretty sure the follow-ups were chosen because of how they sound, not because of what they mean. If you know what I mean.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 4, 2017

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
And just in time for the release of Katy's new album, Taylor Swift decides to play nice and put all her music back on all streaming services.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Once through on Witness, it's not quite as good as Prism but it's also not as all over the place if that makes sense. I warmed up to most of her singles (Swish Swish will get there but it's definitely the weakest of the three IMO). Lyrically, it's a much weaker album that before but the music is very much on my level.

It's a better album than I feared but it's not her best.

Also really digging Halsey's new one. That's been a really solid album for me for the past week.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

screenwritersblues posted:

And just in time for the release of Katy's new album, Taylor Swift decides to play nice and put all her music back on all streaming services.

Came here to post this, insanely next level petty and I love it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

^burtle posted:

Am I the only one that likes Taylor's music way more than Katy Perry, but think Katy Perry is a better person?

Both are second tier to CJR of course. Emotion for life.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Katy Perry is definitely probably a better person. Their music is a wash for me, both about equal, I did like Taylor Swifts country better than I liked her pop though.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm pretty sure the follow-ups were chosen because of how they sound, not because of what they mean. If you know what I mean.

please don't break my heart. I like bad at flirting CRJ.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

LionArcher posted:

Am I the only one that likes Taylor's music way more than Katy Perry, but think Katy Perry is a better person?

Both are second tier to CJR of course. Emotion for life.

Well she is the Queen of All Things, so that includes all moral alignments

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

^burtle posted:

There's something about this feud that feels old Hollywood to me. It almost on par with Joan Crawford and Bette Davis, but not really there. It's gonna get ugly when Taylor release her new album.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

^burtle posted:

It's fantastic and also it seems like Taylor's outright getting more streams, at least in the US? Spotify top 200 for today have 7 Tay songs (>1.7m) and only two songs from Witness (<600k streams between the two).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

screenwritersblues posted:

There's something about this feud that feels old Hollywood to me. It almost on par with Joan Crawford and Bette Davis, but not really there. It's gonna get ugly when Taylor release her new album.

it's nice that after a period where everyone in pop music seemed to, if not like each other, then at least respect each other, we have a good old fashioned diva rivalry going.

I appreciate Katy Perry for being outspoken about politics during the 2016 election where Taylor stayed silent, and Katy has some really great singles, but I think Taylor runs laps around her in the pop music realm. It helps that Katy is seemingly dive-bombing her career into the middle of a concrete desert with this new album and her "new look" (which is shamelessly copying Miley Cyrus circa 3 years ago). It's hilarious that, for a brief moment (after her first single from this album came out) she was talking about making pop music with a meaning and then came out with a pair of songs about how great her pussy tastes and how terrible Taylor Swift/Remy Ma are.

I get the feeling we are going to get a new single from Ms. Swift by the end of the summer and a new album this fall (since she finally broke her every-other-year pattern last year), and I'm very curious which direction it's going to take. I could see it taking the sound from 1989 and making a Fearless-esque album of nothing but Swift originals, but I know there have been rumors of her moving in a more hip-hop oriented direction as well (which dear sweet jesus please do not be true).

I have no idea if we're going to get any really great pop albums this year. Lorde, Lana and Haim are coming out this year, and Selena and Gaga have released summer singles, but none of the truly A-list stars are on the map aside from Katy. Lorde will probably earn a permanent spot on that list if her album is successful, but I feel like right now the A-List is pretty much Katy/Taylor/Gaga/Beyonce/Grande/Adele and any of the bonafide legends (Britney/Madonna/Mariah/Janet/etc), and we got a lot of albums from that lot last year. Then you have the B-list which is either instantly recognizable people who don't quite have the same level of consistent success or lots of critical success but no radio play (Selena/Demi/Lorde/Miley or Lana/Carly/Charli/Robyn) and then the C-list which is filled with people who have had one hit or have a bit of girl-group pedigree (anyone from Fifth Harmony, Iggy Azalea, anyone on a Chainsmokers track, Zara Larsson). And then the entirely separate (because for the most part they all suck) mens list, which we've gotten quite a few albums from this year (Sheeran, Chainsmokers, Train, any member of One Direction) but again, they all suck (because we got new Bruno Mars last year and he's the only man I have any faith in to release quality radio pop unless Justin Timberlake revives his music career again)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol at Ariana Grande being A-list.

Katy Perry is crap. Bow before Queen Tay.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol wtf Katy Perry is doing a livestream pajama party on YouTube right now. Seems like she's trying to copy the 1989 secret sessions so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA4_wTLDx4c

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 11, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
haha I'm just watching her sleep. weird as gently caress

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Taylor Swift isn't a brilliant live singer (the chief metric of raw ability) but she's practically Aretha Franklin compared with Katy Perry on that front. I know nobody goes to see pop diva shows because they expect brilliant vocal performances but at least Taylor Swift has never done anything this terrible (that I'm aware of).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

I have no idea if we're going to get any really great pop albums this year. Lorde, Lana and Haim are coming out this year, and Selena and Gaga have released summer singles, but none of the truly A-list stars are on the map aside from Katy. Lorde will probably earn a permanent spot on that list if her album is successful, but I feel like right now the A-List is pretty much Katy/Taylor/Gaga/Beyonce/Grande/Adele and any of the bonafide legends (Britney/Madonna/Mariah/Janet/etc), and we got a lot of albums from that lot last year. Then you have the B-list which is either instantly recognizable people who don't quite have the same level of consistent success or lots of critical success but no radio play (Selena/Demi/Lorde/Miley or Lana/Carly/Charli/Robyn) and then the C-list which is filled with people who have had one hit or have a bit of girl-group pedigree (anyone from Fifth Harmony, Iggy Azalea, anyone on a Chainsmokers track, Zara Larsson). And then the entirely separate (because for the most part they all suck) mens list, which we've gotten quite a few albums from this year (Sheeran, Chainsmokers, Train, any member of One Direction) but again, they all suck (because we got new Bruno Mars last year and he's the only man I have any faith in to release quality radio pop unless Justin Timberlake revives his music career again)

Whenever I'm scanning through the radio and I think "wow what is this horrible poo poo" it's a Train song 100% of the time. gently caress Train.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

TDE finally got their poo poo together and dropped SZA's album which I've been enjoying quite a bit. Also you can stream Beth Ditto's solo disc over on the NPR site.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Josh Lyman posted:

Lol at Ariana Grande being A-list.

Katy Perry is crap. Bow before Queen Tay.

You always have bad opinions. Ariana Grande is A-List, unless you meant between A List and A+ list.

Im not talking quality as Im not a fan but popularity.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
She's also A-list in my heart.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

bows1 posted:

You always have bad opinions. Ariana Grande is A-List, unless you meant between A List and A+ list.

Im not talking quality as Im not a fan but popularity.

I'm talking quality too. Ariana drops absolutely loving massive singles about every 6 months. She's like Bruno Mars in that her albums are short, but all of the songs are potential hits, and there are always a few that are absolutely stellar. Into You might have been the best single of last year IMO

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember the Top 40 channel they had on constantly in the gym seemed to have "Focus" on every time I went. I have no strong feelings one way or the other about that song but it's really distracting how in the video there's one bit where Ariana Grande and her backing dancers are all playing trumpets when I'm pretty sure it's saxophones that are playing. It sort of annoyed me at the time.

Remember when there was a brief craze for saxophone solos about five years ago? I don't think it amounted to very much but Kenny G did one in that one Katy Perry song and Clarence Clemons (RIP) showed up in "The Edge of Glory".

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember the Top 40 channel they had on constantly in the gym seemed to have "Focus" on every time I went. I have no strong feelings one way or the other about that song but it's really distracting how in the video there's one bit where Ariana Grande and her backing dancers are all playing trumpets when I'm pretty sure it's saxophones that are playing. It sort of annoyed me at the time.

Remember when there was a brief craze for saxophone solos about five years ago? I don't think it amounted to very much but Kenny G did one in that one Katy Perry song and Clarence Clemons (RIP) showed up in "The Edge of Glory".

Focus is really lame though. Into You and Side to Side are both way better, as are Problem, One Last Time, Break Free, Love Me Harder, Right There, and The Way.

She's already got enough material for a greatest hits album and she's only 3 albums in.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

Focus is really lame though. Into You and Side to Side are both way better, as are Problem, One Last Time, Break Free, Love Me Harder, Right There, and The Way.

She's already got enough material for a greatest hits album and she's only 3 albums in.
I'll take Selena over Ariana any day:

Naturally
Love You Like A Love Song
Hit The Lights
Come & Get It
Slow Down
I Want You to Know
Good For You
Same Old Love
Hands to Myself
It Ain't Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

DC Murderverse posted:

This is Ariana's magnum opus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkjrRs0Y4N0