Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Testekill posted:

This is more of a Steam thing but the amount of times it takes for Steam to finish unpacking a Payday 2 update is absurd. Even when my desktop was working it still took almost two or three times longer to update than it does to actually download the updates.

The download size of the updates themselves used to be absolutely massive. Then overkill made a change so that the updates would be much smaller, but that made them take ages to actually go through the update once downloaded.

Arguably better for anyone with a cap though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

I finally got around to playing Arkham Knight. I'm not a fan the sequence near the beginning where you have to slowly move chemical canisters across a room and carefully insert them into receptacles or they blow up and kill you, all while Alfred begs you to leave so you won't die.

The whole thing is even more pointless since you're interrupted by a fear gas hallucination that causes you to pass out, and you still have enough time to escape the plant anyway.
If only you'd had the car. The car could have helped there. Batman should have used the car. He needs the car to do that.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Those loving mandatory tank fights broke my PSN copy of Knight so bad its literally impossible to progress beyond a certain point due to the terrible pathing and spawning issues with the enemy drones. gently caress that game.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Hail Satan.

Finished the Bloodborne DLC. Still think it's way too difficult, but all hail the pizza cutter.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Nuclear Throne is wrought with lazy game design in the name of "challenge."

It's a perfectly competent little top down shooter but information is intentionally hidden from the player, and the RNG elements make the experience feel more like you're hoping the stars will align in a certain run rather than making strategic choices.

I know it's supposed to be Nintendo Hard or whatever but I've cleared Dark Souls and Bloodborne, this is a little much!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Biplane posted:

Those loving mandatory tank fights broke my PSN copy of Knight so bad its literally impossible to progress beyond a certain point due to the terrible pathing and spawning issues with the enemy drones. gently caress that game.

The Deathstroke Tank I didn't mind so much but only because it ended it a really satisfying way where I followed it into a narrow tunnel where he couldn't easily turn and just threw all of my rockets straight up his tailpipe. :haw:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished Assassin's Creed IV. Really enjoyed it apart from the usual AssCreed bullshit previously mentioned. Problem I had with the story is that at no point do the Assassins and Templars do anything to justify them being regarded as the heroes and villains, respectively. The Assassins are supposed to be the good guys, but are siding with pirates who make their living by killing people and stealing their property. In contrast, the evil Templars are trying to stop piracy, and even make a reasonable offer for pirates to walk away unpunished if they cease their actions. I hoping there's going to be a big twist if they ever finish the series, and it turns out the Assassins were the baddies all along.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sunswipe posted:

Just finished Assassin's Creed IV. Really enjoyed it apart from the usual AssCreed bullshit previously mentioned. Problem I had with the story is that at no point do the Assassins and Templars do anything to justify them being regarded as the heroes and villains, respectively. The Assassins are supposed to be the good guys, but are siding with pirates who make their living by killing people and stealing their property. In contrast, the evil Templars are trying to stop piracy, and even make a reasonable offer for pirates to walk away unpunished if they cease their actions. I hoping there's going to be a big twist if they ever finish the series, and it turns out the Assassins were the baddies all along.

The followup sequel prequel plays with that idea, with the main character being a disillusioned Assassin who joins the Templars because the Assassins allowed some poo poo to blow up killing a lot of people because laissez faire and it all ends with some bullshit truth in the middle I think

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015
To hop on the train of posts about Arkham Knight, I'm almost 100% finished with the NG+ on Knightmare right now, and there's something that's bothered me on both playthroughs (ending spoilers):
What the gently caress even happens to Jason? He throws a shitfit and runs away, shows up with a sniper rifle for a minute (???) and then just leaves? Did I miss something? I feel like there's closure with the plot with Scarecrow, but what the gently caress happened to Arkham Knight?

Either way the ending feels really rushed to me, even if you get the "True Ending" or whatever. I had the Season Pass so I played all of the story DLC and that didn't make it any clearer, if anything I have more questions. :confused:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

To hop on the train of posts about Arkham Knight, I'm almost 100% finished with the NG+ on Knightmare right now, and there's something that's bothered me on both playthroughs (ending spoilers):
What the gently caress even happens to Jason? He throws a shitfit and runs away, shows up with a sniper rifle for a minute (???) and then just leaves? Did I miss something? I feel like there's closure with the plot with Scarecrow, but what the gently caress happened to Arkham Knight?

Either way the ending feels really rushed to me, even if you get the "True Ending" or whatever. I had the Season Pass so I played all of the story DLC and that didn't make it any clearer, if anything I have more questions. :confused:

play the Red Hood DLC

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I finished Outlast recently. That was...sure an ending I guess. Came out of goddamn nowhere.

For those who haven't played/seen it: turns out the entire mental facility was all a front in order to create a weaponized nanomachine swarm (that looked ghost-like) that could be controlled by a 'host' - in order to get the affinity for the host, however, you need to be exposed to some crazy poo poo, essentially enough to drive you made. So the final chapter of the game is running through an underground research lab, fleeing said nano swarm, to shut off the life support systems of the host. Then you get riddled with bullets and die. But surprise! You're the host now and rip their poo poo apart.

That was 100% not what I was expecting at all.

Is Whistleblower worth playing? I mean, the game was alright, not terrible, and it fills a niche where my friends and I can watch and ridicule it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If you thought Outlast was worth playing, then you will think Whistleblower is worth playing. However, if you think Outlast was a waste of time, then you will think Whistleblower is a waste of time. I hope this has helped you.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

oldpainless posted:

If you thought Outlast was worth playing, then you will think Whistleblower is worth playing. However, if you think Outlast was a waste of time, then you will think Whistleblower is a waste of time. I hope this has helped you.

Yeah, it has. As long as it's not "Well Whistleblower took the shittier parts and stretched them out" or whatever, I'm down.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Well, it's the same gameplay as Outlast. No weapons, that sort of thing but if story stuff is what gets you, there's a scene where a 6 foot 8 psychopath stuck in the 50s imprisons men and then saws off their genitals in order to ejaculate into the wound in an attempt to impregnate them and then kills them when it invariably fails . How you feel about that is up to you.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Well, it's the same gameplay as Outlast. No weapons, that sort of thing but if story stuff is what gets you, there's a scene where a 6 foot 8 psychopath stuck in the 50s imprisons men and then saws off their genitals in order to ejaculate into the wound in an attempt to impregnate them and then kills them when it invariably fails . How you feel about that is up to you.

Hey don't kinkshame

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
King of the hill matches drag down overwatch, they're the least interesting game mode where one team captures a shack, then switches to defensive heroes and holds it as long as they can.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Poulpe posted:

It's a perfectly competent little top down shooter but information is intentionally hidden from the player, and the RNG elements make the experience feel more like you're hoping the stars will align in a certain run rather than making strategic choices.

I know it's supposed to be Nintendo Hard or whatever but I've cleared Dark Souls and Bloodborne, this is a little much!
Nothing about this is correct, and Nuclear Throne is one of the best roguelikes of all time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The only information that is "hidden" from the player are actual secrets, unless you mean "I don't know exactly, to the frame, what a mutation does before I select it," in which case, just try it. You won't know what things do until you try to do the things, that's exactly how rougelikes work. Otherwise you're just paying attention to 2 things:

1. How enemies work
2. How guns work

If you can figure out how the enemies and their bullets move, and use your guns to move your own bullets to where they are, then you win the game. Everything is stacked in the player's favor. This isn't Gungeon, where it slowly wears you down because you didn't get lucky drops. You can always win. It's one of the least luck-heavy roguelikes out there. Just keep playing.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The secrets are hidden in a dumb way that realistically most people would never find. Considering you unlock YV through one of those dumb secrets I would say it's bad.

Everything else about that post is hot garbo though. Nuclear Throne is an intensely skillful game and RNG is the cause of maybe 1 death in 1000.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

The secrets are hidden in a dumb way that realistically most people would never find. Considering you unlock YV through one of those dumb secrets I would say it's bad.
One of the random tips before levels tells you to try hitting the car with a screwdriver. I guess I just don't care about some of the bonus characters being hidden though. YV isn't supposed to be for new players, he's definitely an "already beat the game, so play around with this" kind of character.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The only loading tip related to the car is "screwdriver will fix it."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RyokoTK posted:

The only loading tip related to the car is "screwdriver will fix it."

There is an interesting unique car that spawns every time you get to the junkyard level, there is a screwdriver item that is an extremely common drop in the early game (like, you'll have one drop on like 60-70% of runs), and there is literally only one way to make those two interact.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Somfin posted:

There is an interesting unique car that spawns every time you get to the junkyard level, there is a screwdriver item that is an extremely common drop in the early game (like, you'll have one drop on like 60-70% of runs), and there is literally only one way to make those two interact.

That loading tip is a flavor tip if you're already holding the screwdriver iirc, which if you don't know about YV's Mansion you probably would never do because it's the worst weapon in the game. I never saw the tooltip.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Poulpe posted:

Other than the secrets and maybe a few first-time gotchas like mimics sniper robots exploding, nuclear throne really doesn't hide much from you. Also nothing you said really has to do with lazy game design.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm still interested in the specific RNG stuff he's angry about, game's unusually consistent and clear for a roguelike.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Somfin posted:

I'm still interested in the specific RNG stuff he's angry about, game's unusually consistent and clear for a roguelike.
I'm guessing he either doesn't like or doesn't play roguelikes.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah but Nuclear Throne is probably the lightest of roguelites out there.

The only way I can think of where I've been outright screwed by RNG is getting a really awful start on, like, 7-2 and not having Hammerhead to dig a defensive position. That can be a nasty combo if you aren't ready for it.

Random perks don't matter since it's much more important to pick a smart combination of the perk choices you get than it is to get one or two specific perks... until you're trying to gun for 3000+ kill games I guess.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
The level starts can be unfair once in a while, but hammerhead fixes that.

I don't know im guessing the guy's just stuck on one of the difficulty spikes and getting pissed off. Cover and sightlines don't matter that much til you get to the crystal cave, and it's a roguelike so you can spend a long time repeatedly getting to, but not past, the cave

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm finally getting around the playing Dishonoured 2, and by and large it's really great. But so far there've been two issues that have been pretty annoying so far:

-This time around the bone charms seem to kind of suck? I've found about 10 so far, and all of them had effects that were either incredibly minor, too specific to be of much use, or both. I put some points into the skill to let me craft new ones, but as it turns out you can craft charms with effects that you have already found (and a bunch of them can't be learned that way). So instead of getting a minor boost to recovered health from eating food I now get a mediocre boost, which is still not useful since I'm swimming in health elixirs anyhow.

-The clockwork soldiers are a massive pain in the rear end, and not in a good way. Can't sneak up on them because they've literally got eyes in the back of their head, can't quietly dispatch them because you pretty much have to use explosives to get through that armour. The only semi-stealthy way to do anything about them is using dropdown attacks, which obviously requires the terrain to line up for you and to not have any other enemies nearby because those animations take forever. Perhaps it gets less annoying later on, but it sure didn't help that the first level you encounter them in is quite cramped.

Also, though this isn't much of an actual complaint, but goddrat this game is bleak as all gently caress. I mean, in principle that's a good thing because it really adds to the atmosphere and works well with the story, but Jesus it never once lets up.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Clockwork Soldiers are blind from their sides if that's any help. They can't turn their heads at all, but have eyes in front and back.

And the bone charms are random which can lead to you being a super speedy agility rear end in a top hat that chokes people out in less than half a second before level 1, or still getting extra health from eating rotten food by the end game. It's silly.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

The only information that is "hidden" from the player are actual secrets, unless you mean "I don't know exactly, to the frame, what a mutation does before I select it," in which case, just try it. You won't know what things do until you try to do the things, that's exactly how rougelikes work. Otherwise you're just paying attention to 2 things:

1. How enemies work
2. How guns work

If you can figure out how the enemies and their bullets move, and use your guns to move your own bullets to where they are, then you win the game. Everything is stacked in the player's favor. This isn't Gungeon, where it slowly wears you down because you didn't get lucky drops. You can always win. It's one of the least luck-heavy roguelikes out there. Just keep playing.
Okay so my first post was definitely done up partly out of frustration so I was absolutely a little terse and snippy, however :siren: AS A NEW PLAYER :siren: I've experienced:

"these gun guys explode even though noone else does, start over"
"no, the portal will not protect you from nearby explosives, start over"
"what the hell is this square temple even supposed to do except call the cops"
"this gun will arbitrarily harm you while none of the other non-explosives will, start over"
"you didn't open all the treasure in the level before killing the last enemy? Idiot."
"no, crystal's shield doesn't block melee, start over"
"these guys hurt you by touching them, these ones don't, just memorize which is which"
"From now on, fire at every ammo chest because you never know, start over"
and oh by the way there's crowns, and cursed poo poo, and golden weapons, figure it out.

I know that there's meant to be an element of mystery and discovery to roguelikes, and I have made it to the throne, (and died,) but these little gotchas just kept hitting me, which drag the game down in a big way. I understand that there's a particularly positive zeitgeist for this game on here, which is what made me get it in the first place, but these things hampered my experience, no shaking that.

Somfin posted:

The RNG fuckery is largely spawn placement, like being dumped in the center of ten aggroed enemies with explosives all around (Hello junkyard boss level,) making it deep into the game with a slugger and triple machinegun as your best drops and trying to make it work, and "you rolled the crap mutations, suck it, never get hit by anything or die." Surmountable I know, but lovely all the same. Also the whole "health and ammo drop percentages increase the lower you are on either" situation is an odd choice, and makes some mutations secretly better than others for no reason other than obfuscation.

Stuntman posted:

I'm guessing he either doesn't like or doesn't play roguelikes.

I dunno, I've played a fucktonne of Binding of Isaac and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, for what that's worth, and I've gone to endgame in both. A more leveled criticism coming from those games is that there's not nearly the amount of variation in level, item, or mutation design, Nuclear Throne feels samey in comparison, though maybe that changes when you start looping?

Your criticisms of me aren't totally off, especially being new to it, but I don't think the game is perfect either.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
And another example just now, just shot at a cop who spawned a protective shield with a bouncer SMG, and the bullets bounced back at me, and I thought it was fine, cause, y'know, bouncer ammo.
Nope! It's like Crystal's shield! Dead! Start Over :cripes:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Nuclear Throne is also a 15 minute game, and unlike Isaac there are no dead-on-arrival runs. Take the deaths and learn from them because you can bounce back so fast it hardly matters.

The game is drat hard and learning all the stuff that will kill you is going to take a while, just don't worry so much about it. It's a long grind to the Throne and you're going to die many many times. I think it took me like 50 hours to get to a successful loop, and I assure you almost all of those deaths were from being bad. Nowadays with my stronger characters I can at least make it to loop 1 seven times out of ten, but that's after like 240 hours.

Besides, given the pace of the game I don't know how it could tell you that the sniper bots explode or that portals can blow up cars, except for the loading tips which you may not see. Being killed by a thing is the only way to know how it can kill you.

As to variety: pretty much every run with a character prior to Big Dog is basically the same, yeah. Variety kicks in when you get towards the end of the game (or into loops) and you're at the level cap. Because at that point two runs can become very divergent.

Just keep trying, you'll make it.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Jun 11, 2017

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

Being killed by a thing is the only way to know how it can kill you.

I haven't played the game but it sounds like this is the crux of his criticism - that you have to learn a lot of things through trial and error rather than by observing some sort of consistent in-game logic. Like old-school Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls are both "hard", but in the former you learn how to avoid things by having them show up and hit you unavoidably once, whereas in the latter you can often overcome challenges the first time you encounter them by being observant and picking up on the cues that the game is giving you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Triarii posted:

I haven't played the game but it sounds like this is the crux of his criticism - that you have to learn a lot of things through trial and error rather than by observing some sort of consistent in-game logic. Like old-school Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls are both "hard", but in the former you learn how to avoid things by having them show up and hit you unavoidably once, whereas in the latter you can often overcome challenges the first time you encounter them by being observant and picking up on the cues that the game is giving you.
They are absolutely consistent in-game. Nuclear Throne is very, very well-designed. Every one of those complaints comes from a refusal to engage with the game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Triarii posted:

Dark Souls definitely throws nigh-unavoidable death at the player. You have to be prescient to know that the dragon burning the bridge is coming; all of the signs are only obvious in retrospect. And the Capra Demon comes out of loving nowhere with his loving dogs and definitely kills you to death at least twice. Dark Souls' whole thing is 'that was a threat, that's why you're dead, remember that for next time.' Yes, you could have seen it coming now that you know where it was and what it was going to do, but that's hindsight. If you seriously had to take every instance of 'scorch marks' as a sign that the dragon was gonna plow through here and burn the place, you wouldn't make any progress.

I definitely get the 'reflection/shielding/bouncing mechanical interactions aren't obvious' crit but that's the sort of thing that you catch on to after the first time it happens. I don't agree with the 'bad runs happen' crit because, well, Binding of Isaac utterly-useless runs exist.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Somfin posted:

Dark Souls definitely throws nigh-unavoidable death at the player. You have to be prescient to know that the dragon burning the bridge is coming; all of the signs are only obvious in retrospect.

In the very first mini area of the undead burg the dragon harmlessly blows fire over your head and fucks off. Then you come across a huge bridge covered in scorch marks and dead corpses. Even if you forget the dragon exists, I'm going to assume there's going to be some kind of trap where everything was burnt. I expected the bridge to explode.

Somfin posted:

And the Capra Demon comes out of loving nowhere with his loving dogs and definitely kills you to death at least twice.
He's behind a fog gate. To reach him most players would have had to fight the Taurus demon and gargoyles. He's about as out of nowhere as either of those two.

Somfin posted:

If you seriously had to take every instance of 'scorch marks' as a sign that the dragon was gonna plow through here and burn the place, you wouldn't make any progress.

I'm pretty hard pressed to think of areas with scorch marks that don't indicate some kind of fire or explosive trap at hand. People who run through Dark Souls and pay zero attention to the environment are the same people who bitch and moan about how it's totally the hardest game ever and is super unfair.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Triarii posted:

The logic is consistent in game. You just aren't introduced into that logic until you're killed by it. That's how you observe it :v:

Given that the game is super short and RNG for guns and perks is largely very fair, it's really honest to god not a big problem to die once to the exit portal blowing up a car near it. Next time you'll know better and you're only out like 4 minutes.

You have to learn by failure in pretty much every roguelike and roguelite I've ever played, if for nothing else because you have to learn the mechanics and zones and how enemies behave, and since these games are typically crushingly difficult you're probably going to learn how to win by dying a lot first. It's how it goes. It's just not a big deal to die in NT whereas getting utterly murked by an Orb of Fire on the very last loving floor of DCSS means you're out like six hours. Sure you can do a monster lookup in the in game encyclopedia but you're not going to really get a grasp of how it acts until you see it in action... and in 2 turns of observing an OOF you're already dead.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Somfin posted:

Dark Souls definitely throws nigh-unavoidable death at the player. You have to be prescient to know that the dragon burning the bridge is coming; all of the signs are only obvious in retrospect. And the Capra Demon comes out of loving nowhere with his loving dogs and definitely kills you to death at least twice. Dark Souls' whole thing is 'that was a threat, that's why you're dead, remember that for next time.' Yes, you could have seen it coming now that you know where it was and what it was going to do, but that's hindsight. If you seriously had to take every instance of 'scorch marks' as a sign that the dragon was gonna plow through here and burn the place, you wouldn't make any progress.

I definitely get the 'reflection/shielding/bouncing mechanical interactions aren't obvious' crit but that's the sort of thing that you catch on to after the first time it happens. I don't agree with the 'bad runs happen' crit because, well, Binding of Isaac utterly-useless runs exist.

I'm pretty sure I survived that dragon on my first encounter, not by reading the signs correctly but by being a huge coward and sprinting back the way I came as soon as I heard a dragon. Capra Demon killed me immediately and repeatedly, of course, but that's not really a "learn this gotcha by dying to it once, avoid it next time" situation - it's just a hard-rear end boss that you'll probably die to even if you 100% know what's coming.

Anyway I just realized we've starting talking about Dark Souls which should never be done, but my point is that old games relied way more heavily on "memorize the bullshit that's coming up" as a necessary skill than modern games do, and it's good that games have gotten away from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

Given that the game is super short and RNG for guns and perks is largely very fair, it's really honest to god not a big problem to die once to the exit portal blowing up a car near it. Next time you'll know better and you're only out like 4 minutes.

Even if you don't lose much, I still think it's fair and reasonable to feel frustrated when you get killed by something and can't see how you could have possibly forseen that coming.

And getting killed by your first orb of fire, hours into your then- most successful DCSS game, is such a deep feeling of loss and unfairness that it transcends mere frustration, and becomes an almost existential reminder of the essentially cold and unfeeling nature of the universe.