Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

Yeah sounds like a minor graphics driver glitch. If it starts happening more often, you might have an actual fault in the video card.

I'll keep an eye out for it, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

spit on my clit posted:

I feel like this has happened before, but while chatting on discord, the pages I was viewing in the background went black. restarted firefox, everything is fine. graphical error?

It's been happening to me occasionally. I think the graphics thread is crashing or something and it cannot restart it for whatever reason. That's just my guess, though.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
The current version of Firefox seems to rev my processor up a lot more when viewing the PYF .gif thread than whatever version from 2013 I had been using until now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I tried viewing the GIF thread in Edge. Wow, had no idea GIFs could be so smooth! Everything loaded fast, scrolled and animated perfectly. gently caress. :(

In more :tinfoil: related matters, something weird is going on. Every now and then, what looks like a popup or a command line window opens and closes, too fast to see any detail. The open/close animation seems to be emanating from the Firefox taskbar icon, it could be a Firefox or addon process. Or it could be Putin. :tinfoil: Anyone else see this?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I saw a couple of people complaining about similar behavior in the Windows thread; in their case, it turned out to be some ghetto Office updater script. Dunno about yours though. :tinfoil:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/6dnsb4/today_i_noticed_that_a_random_cmdexe_window_keeps/

There is a task that runs every hour that causes the window to popup. You just need to disable it to stop it from occurring.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks guys, that's exactly it!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Alright yeah, even after updating the drivers firefox has still done the black-screen twice today. Like, the tabs/bookmarks bar is fine, but the contents of the page go completely black. A friend says that this just happens with the latest firefox version, but man that's really annoying. Hope they fix this garbage soon.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I had this happen to me and, like Fishemch said, it was a precursor to a very expensive series of hardware upgrades.

Firefox is like the mining canary telling you your computer is dying.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Except when it's just the display driver being a buggy pile of poo poo, or Mozilla loving up hardware acceleration again, or their garbage collector still being a dumpster fire, or some random Windows update breaking everything.

Mozilla refuses to fix anything related to memory errors unless you can pin them down and force them to accept it's not a hardware issue with your RAM.

Their GC has been hosed for years now with open bugs about it that are almost a decade old, or closed ones marked as WONTFIX and WORKSFORME. The latter one is also invariably combined with an absolute lack of effort looking into why it doesn't work for the other person, or why it's suddenly a top crash.

Basically never bet on a hardware issue if Firefox is the only program giving you trouble. Of course you should check if it isn't a hardware thing, but in most cases you'll find it is not.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Every now and then I try switching back to Firefox from Chrome but it seems like every time I do there's some little issue that just ruins the experience.

This time it's that the Stylish addon and the RES addon don't play well together. I have both on Chrome and my current userstyle looks great, but if I open the exact same page in Firefox with the same addons and the same userstyle there are messed up borders and widths that make it look ugly.

On top of that I get some horrendous screen tearing when trying to use smooth scrolling in Firefox. I've updated graphics drivers, disabled hardware acceleration and launched Firefox in safe mode but it still happens. No such issues in Chrome though.

It's such a shame too because I want to like using Firefox it's just little issues always seem to get in the way

:sigh:

Just noticed as well that the font rendering in Gmail is messed up

Firefox

Chrome

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 2, 2017

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Disabling hardware acceleration is how you make everything worse.

Go to about:support

Check your "Multiprocess Windows" in the first Application Basics section. Do you have any enabled? If not, you've probably installed some addons that disabled multiprocess, and that will introduce jank.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Nalin posted:

Disabling hardware acceleration is how you make everything worse.

Go to about :support

Check your "Multiprocess Windows" in the first Application Basics section. Do you have any enabled? If not, you've probably installed some addons that disabled multiprocess, and that will introduce jank.

I don't think that's the case because I get screen tearing with hardware acceleration on or off, and in safe mode with extensions disabled

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gorilla Salad posted:

I had this happen to me and, like Fishemch said, it was a precursor to a very expensive series of hardware upgrades.

Firefox is like the mining canary telling you your computer is dying.

but this dang compy was built a year and a half ago, boo..

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've been having the black firefox thing happen occasionally since the creators windows update, don't worry too much about it IMO and maybe upgrade/downgrade/sidegreade your gpu drivers.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
All the graphical corruption I can recall having in Firefox has been the result of memory leakage. Haven't seen anything since jumping to 64bit with e10s, though I'm not on Creator's update either.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know if there's a way to refresh thumbnails from firefox home page?
I'd rather have anything else there instead of the very first thing I saw when I first opened the site.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
You look like you're on Windows based on the cursor, so go to C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\PROFILE_NAME\thumbnails and find the thumbnail you want to delete. That's probably the easiest way.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I have a weird problem. I tend to right click -> save as images that are inlined in the forums. Those hosted on imgur save as just a block of html, not the image itself. I'm not sure if what's causing this, but I'm hoping someone has something similar happen and can suggest a fix?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

EoRaptor posted:

I have a weird problem. I tend to right click -> save as images that are inlined in the forums. Those hosted on imgur save as just a block of html, not the image itself. I'm not sure if what's causing this, but I'm hoping someone has something similar happen and can suggest a fix?
What do you get if you right click > view image? The image itself or an imgur page or something?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Knormal posted:

What do you get if you right click > view image? The image itself or an imgur page or something?

The imgur page for the image.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Weird. I've linked this jpg directly:

What do you get when you right click - copy image location?

I get http://i.imgur.com/jmEMlxl.jpg (manually deleted automatic img tags)

Could be a feature, not a bug in some addon. But perhaps it's related to a thing I've noticed with imgur. If I've uploaded an image and I do right click - copy image location before the pic has finished loading on the post page, the link I copy is blob:somegibberishuuidcode. Perhaps it hasn't quite finished loading for some reason when you right click it, an adblock addon or similar might be messing with it.

Cure for Optimism
Dec 31, 2005

Outside a path to knowledge
Inside a waste of cells

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to refresh thumbnails from firefox home page?
I'd rather have anything else there instead of the very first thing I saw when I first opened the site.

Firefox is intentionally showing you the logged out page, it's a security feature. It might accidentally leak private information in the image if it's a logged in snapshot.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cure for Optimism posted:

Firefox is intentionally showing you the logged out page, it's a security feature. It might accidentally leak private information in the image if it's a logged in snapshot.

No. It shows a logged in shot if it generates it when you're logged in.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cure for Optimism posted:

Firefox does not do this. My little thumbnail for Twitter shows my twitter feed while logged in (albeit like 13 months out of date as that's when the thumbnail was generated).

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

Weird. I've linked this jpg directly:

What do you get when you right click - copy image location?

I get http://i.imgur.com/jmEMlxl.jpg (manually deleted automatic img tags)

Could be a feature, not a bug in some addon. But perhaps it's related to a thing I've noticed with imgur. If I've uploaded an image and I do right click - copy image location before the pic has finished loading on the post page, the link I copy is blob:somegibberishuuidcode. Perhaps it hasn't quite finished loading for some reason when you right click it, an adblock addon or similar might be messing with it.

Yeah, it seems it be a very strange behaviour, and I'm not able to produce a reliable test case.

I'll start seeing it on imgur images, with it applying to all of them linked on the forums. If I do a view image, I get the imgur page, not the image alone. If I inspect the image, or copy and paste the image location into a new tab, I get just the image. Once I've done this, the problem disappears for a while, with all new imgur hosted images saving correctly for a period. Then, something triggers it to re-occur, and I get the image page, not the image itself. It doesn't affect any other image hosting site.

The only extension I'm running that messes with images is SALR, and even disabling it doesn't stop the issue from occurring. Clearing the firefox cache and restarting firefox sometimes fixes the issue, and sometimes does not.

This is only something I've encountered starting with FF53, so hopefully it's a bug somebody eventually gets a testcase for and it gets fixed, or it's just imgur fuckery and goes away in some future revision of their platform, because I have no idea.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Are you using some kind of addon that might interfere with normal image saving?

Imgur is desperately trying to get more traffic to their site, so they can make ad revenue (because just hosting images ends up not being very profitable), so they redirect a bunch of loads of the direct image link to the gallery page.

I'm not sure how they detect the difference between an image loading as part of a page versus opening a direct image link, though. Maybe that detection is broken for you?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I got a weird issue: I'm running the latest Firefox and when I try to make a status update on Facebook, the status update window just vanishes and leaves behind the dimmed view. It doesn't replicate on Chrome and seems to be on both my work and home versions of Firefox. Is this a Firefox issue or just Facebook being lovely?

Also, I'm using Ublock Origin but nothing beyond the original lists.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I got a weird issue: I'm running the latest Firefox and when I try to make a status update on Facebook, the status update window just vanishes and leaves behind the dimmed view. It doesn't replicate on Chrome and seems to be on both my work and home versions of Firefox. Is this a Firefox issue or just Facebook being lovely?

Also, I'm using Ublock Origin but nothing beyond the original lists.

I'm getting the same thing. I think it's a uBlock Origin issue, but I haven't been able to pin down exactly what needs to be whitelisted. Frustratingly, I can't seem to reproduce the problem when the uBlock logger is open.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

I'm getting the same thing. I think it's a uBlock Origin issue, but I haven't been able to pin down exactly what needs to be whitelisted. Frustratingly, I can't seem to reproduce the problem when the uBlock logger is open.

I opened the logger and had the issue, and it pointed to this:

facebook.com###stream_pagelet div[id^="hyperfeed_story_id_"]:has(a[data-hovercard][href*="hc_ref=ADS"])

Maybe it's seeing the status window as an ad for some reason?

Edit: I tried turning off 'Parse and enforce cosmetic filters' and so far was able to post an update and see how to that annoying background color thing. Hm.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 8, 2017

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Does anyone else have Firefox crawl to a halt if you have Amazon/Twitch open (especially at the same time). I've basically resorted to using Chrome for those two websites.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Whitest Russian posted:

Does anyone else have Firefox crawl to a halt if you have Amazon/Twitch open (especially at the same time). I've basically resorted to using Chrome for those two websites.

Do you have Multiprocess Windows on? (Check about :support)
Also do you use the Flash or HTML5 player for Twitch?

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Do you have Multiprocess Windows on? (Check about :support)
Also do you use the Flash or HTML5 player for Twitch?

I'd have to check when i get home for the first one.
I'd imagine it's on HTML5. That's got to be default by now and I don't remember turning it off.

Any ideas about Amazon? I think it might have something to do with all of the images that Amazon uses.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Latest Nvidia drivers show known issue:
[Firefox.exe]: Browser errors may occur or the browser may crash with NVIDIA drivers. [200301372]

so if you've been seeing weird behavior on Nvidia GPUs it should eventually be fixed with new drivers over the next few months or so

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Well poo poo, talk about good timing. I literally just had the reminder pop up on my screen not two minutes ago and was going to update my drivers after I finished reading all my open tabs.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Latest Nvidia drivers show known issue:
[Firefox.exe]: Browser errors may occur or the browser may crash with NVIDIA drivers. [200301372]

so if you've been seeing weird behavior on Nvidia GPUs it should eventually be fixed with new drivers over the next few months or so

No wonder...

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Every single NVIDIA driver created for Win 10 Creative has been a turd. I still cannot connect my laptop to my TV with anything past the 3 month old 378.92 drivers. At least the latest ones let my laptop actually boot.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Well poo poo, talk about good timing. I literally just had the reminder pop up on my screen not two minutes ago and was going to update my drivers after I finished reading all my open tabs.

The bug is still present in the driver released by NVidia today, unfortunately. It remains in the "open issues" portion of the release notes: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/382.53/382.53-win10-win8-win7-desktop-release-notes.pdf

Nalin posted:

Every single NVIDIA driver created for Win 10 Creative has been a turd. I still cannot connect my laptop to my TV with anything past the 3 month old 378.92 drivers. At least the latest ones let my laptop actually boot.

Yeah, it's all anecdotal, but I continue to have Nvidia-related issues in CU and I know a couple people who have been sent into safe-mode reboot loop hell after doing a post-CU driver update. Only DDU, an older driver, and a lot of wasted time got things working again for them.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

xamphear posted:

Yeah, it's all anecdotal, but I continue to have Nvidia-related issues in CU and I know a couple people who have been sent into safe-mode reboot loop hell after doing a post-CU driver update. Only DDU, an older driver, and a lot of wasted time got things working again for them.

What's worse is that Win 10 will auto-update your NVIDIA drivers. You have to jump through a whole bunch of hoops to stay on older driver versions. I often will connect to TVs via HDMI through my laptop, so I have HAD to stay on the 378.92 drivers. Yet every few weeks Windows 10 will auto-install a new driver and I'll have to rollback, blacklist the driver, and reinstall the old ones. Such a pain.

But, with Firefox 54 beta and the latest NVIDIA drivers on my desktop PC, I haven't gotten a black screen in a while. So hopefully it is mostly fixed. Firefox 54 should be released in 4 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nalin posted:

What's worse is that Win 10 will auto-update your NVIDIA drivers. You have to jump through a whole bunch of hoops to stay on older driver versions. I often will connect to TVs via HDMI through my laptop, so I have HAD to stay on the 378.92 drivers. Yet every few weeks Windows 10 will auto-install a new driver and I'll have to rollback, blacklist the driver, and reinstall the old ones. Such a pain.

But, with Firefox 54 beta and the latest NVIDIA drivers on my desktop PC, I haven't gotten a black screen in a while. So hopefully it is mostly fixed. Firefox 54 should be released in 4 days.

Win10 doesnt seem to auto-update nvidia drivers for me. seems like a blessing, really. Speaking of which, it seems there's new drivers to download, but i'm not going to.