Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Skippy McPants posted:

Hot Take: new X-Com is a better game than old X-Com.

I'd disagree because losing dudes is way more punishing in new X-Com, which makes it less about liking dudes that die soon after. However, it's still a really goddamn fun game for different reasons to OG X-Com.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Maybe this isn't the place to ask, but this has me itching to replay mechcommander 2. Is there anywhere to get it legit? I lost my copy years ago, and it's bugged copy protection means I'd probably have a helluva time trying to play it anyway

This but Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I tried getting MW4 Mercs to run on Windows 10 the other day, at some length, and eventually gave up. Looks like recent Nvidia drivers broke what little compatibility still existed.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I still have the HD MekTek build, I should try it as well

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The MekTek version of MW4 Mercs works just fine for me on Win10 + Nvidia card.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Gwaihir posted:

The MekTek version of MW4 Mercs works just fine for me on Win10 + Nvidia card.

That's the one I tried to get working by following the steps here and elsewhere, since it had worked for me on Windows 7 or whatever a few years back. No joy. Doesn't recognise the video card and if I try to emulate a different card using dgvoodoo2 it gives me entirely different error messages but is equally broken.

Honestly if anyone here has advice I'd love to hear it, because I'm itching to play more mech stuff rather than just caning the beta.

John Charity Spring fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 9, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'll have to see if I did anything a while ago, when I checked just now I just mashed mw4mercs.exe and it fired right up.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Looks like we're gonna get some news about release date at E3.

Not directly, I mean, just because XCOM 2 is announcing a new expansion and Mitch said during a Q&A that they're not dumb enough to go head-to-head with the current king of tactical turn based strategy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Not directly, I mean, just because XCOM 2 is announcing a new expansion and Mitch said during a Q&A that they're not dumb enough to go head-to-head with the current king of tactical turn based strategy.

Jesus, I'd given up hope of that happening.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

XCOM chat reminded me for whatever reason: do we know if it's possible to bust through buildings to take risky shortcuts and or be badass as hell? Destructable environments are key to any xclone.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Great Beer posted:

XCOM chat reminded me for whatever reason: do we know if it's possible to bust through buildings to take risky shortcuts and or be badass as hell? Destructable environments are key to any xclone.

My guess would be not, I don't know that Unity stretches to that kind of thing. Would be cool though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Great Beer posted:

I've definitely destroyed buildings by walking through them

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Didn't they say the current buildings are just abstracted as buildings small enough that mechs don't care about them, but that if we were fighting in a city or something those buildings would be different?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Even if we don't get large urban environments I imagine base assaults will have buildings to blow up.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, there's essentially two kinds of buildings. Smaller buildings that don't really warrant notice that you can simply walk through and crush, and bigger buildings that you can jump on top of to snipe and stuff like that. I don't recall if they've said anything about being able to fall through or "Kool-Aid Man" the bigger ones.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Each building rolls on mission start to see if it has an insta-kill basement. :tinfoil:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Hot Take: new X-Com is a better game than old X-Com.

I mostly agree with 2 big exceptions. The lack of simulated projectiles in the tactical game mode, so you can't do a lot of neat poo poo you could do in UFO Defense. And the second one is kind of hard to articulate, basically the new XCOM doesn't feel as desperate as UFO Defense did. Assaulting UFO's and Alien Base Control rooms were utter blood baths that you blunted the impact of by sticking your rookies and low ranked dudes in front of the people that matter and if they survived they'd eventually be the ones waiting to follow up. In the new ones, mid game onward, anyone below the rank of Sergeant is pretty much useless and is only brought to get carried for XP so they can start actually contributing.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Less feeding Rooks to the meat grinder is good though.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Rooks earned their place on my team in the original XCOM. :colbert:

"Ok Rookie here's a shock baton and a stun grenade on a deadman's switch. You're either going to capture that Ethereal, or you're gonna die and we're gonna capture it anyway. Don't suck."

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Bolow posted:

"Ok Rookie here's a shock baton and a stun grenade on a deadman's switch. You're either going to capture that Ethereal, or you're gonna die and we're gonna capture it anyway. Don't suck."

Wait is there another way of playing it?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Bolow posted:

Opening doors, nº1 cause of death among rookies since 1993.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I think they've said the buildings that aren't just clutter to get crush when a mech steps on it will have x hitpoints and you can destroy them - for dropping mechs that are on top for knockdowns. But no kool-aiding.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I can understand why there would be no kool aid-ing, the move system doesn't exactly let you specify a path which would kind of be necessary to go through a building mid move.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bolow posted:

The real X-com option is the rookie then immediately gets psi-panicked and drops the stun grenade next to the squad.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rhymenoserous posted:

The real X-com option is the rookie then immediately gets psi-panicked and drops the stun grenade next to the squad.

God, imagine Battletech with a panic mechanic

panicked AC/20 shots in your back all day

edit: wait isildur DO NOT READ

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Pattonesque posted:

God, imagine Battletech with a panic mechanic

panicked AC/20 shots in your back all day

edit: wait isildur DO NOT READ

It would be like playing MWO with a gold Dire on your team :P

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Holy fuckin' poo poo the Medium Support lance is mean as hell. Went Medium Battle vs it and got my rear end stomped.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Zaodai posted:

I can understand why there would be no kool aid-ing, the move system doesn't exactly let you specify a path which would kind of be necessary to go through a building mid move.

Plus the insane animation work required to make it look good for every mech and building combination.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Rhymenoserous posted:

FiraXcom is a very good game, but it doesn't always capture the feeling of those complete clusterfuck missions where half the squad gets downed by a stun bomb before they even step off the ramp and by turn 3 you're down to a couple of rookies frantically trying to shuttle officers and plasma weapons back onto the Skyranger before they bleed to death.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Voyager I posted:

FiraXcom is a very good game, but it doesn't always capture the feeling of those complete clusterfuck missions where half the squad gets downed by a stun bomb before they even step off the ramp and by turn 3 you're down to a couple of rookies frantically trying to shuttle officers and plasma weapons back onto the Skyranger before they bleed to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsCPUJLUbuc

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

FiraXcom is inferior because you can't equip a rookie with an HE bombs and let him run at the disk.

e: You should be able to rig a Commando with explosives and let it run at the enemy Atlas, all things considered.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, that's a good thing.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah, that's a good thing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Are they trying to get their entire squad wiped?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Are they trying to get their entire squad wiped?

It's more likely they didn't know about automatically ending the first turn and letting the enemies burn TU's so you avoid getting a blaster bomb shot up the skyranger ramp. I've had something similar happen except it was a muton who pumped a blaster bomb down the length of the sky ranger and liquefied 11 of my 14 dudes, one got knocked unconscious and the rookies at the exit panicked and ran out the back and got mowed down by more mutons. The unconscious dude eventually went on to be my best psi soldier and would routinely mind control ethereals with ease :3:

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I found an old goon logos.rar and updated it with some other things I had from the wiki folder. It even had the old fonts.rar inside for making more text. Sadly, I didn't save a lot of the non-logo artwork and posters.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwuV7aRut36TZ2tIWkIzWTlKdXM/view

Contains stuff for:

Bropoc
KDR Squad
Hard Corg - early concept
Eurosquad - joke concept
Black Baza
Corsair's Own - The Old Guard
Other general crap and ideas.

Enjoy

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That gif is so good.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

sebmojo posted:

That gif is so good.

I know, it was like the one thing I saved not part of my logo making. Anyone know who made it?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Amechwarrior posted:

I found an old goon logos.rar and updated it with some other things I had from the wiki folder. It even had the old fonts.rar inside for making more text. Sadly, I didn't save a lot of the non-logo artwork and posters.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwuV7aRut36TZ2tIWkIzWTlKdXM/view

Contains stuff for:

Bropoc
KDR Squad
Hard Corg - early concept
Eurosquad - joke concept
Black Baza
Corsair's Own - The Old Guard
Other general crap and ideas.

Enjoy

What's the unedited gif from? Like, what was it edited out of?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Neopie posted:

I didn't make this one, sadly I don't know. The "all tabs to SQUAWK!" frames at the end remind me of Evangelion, but the UI isn't right at all. I'd bet some other mecha anime, but I can't place it.

EDIT:

drat, knew it felt like Eva, same director. I've seen and even own Gunbuster and it didn't click, guess it's time for a viewing.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

Neopie posted:

It's from Gunbuster.