Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Is there seriously no explanation recap for season 2 of Chinese Crime Scene? It's just been "the killer is...this person!" and then show's over, everyone go home. It's really unfulfilling, which is a shame because I like He, Sa and Gui Gui better than anyone on Korean S3. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

GuavaMoment posted:

Is there seriously no explanation recap for season 2 of Chinese Crime Scene? It's just been "the killer is...this person!" and then show's over, everyone go home. It's really unfulfilling, which is a shame because I like He, Sa and Gui Gui better than anyone on Korean S3. :(

I think what happened is they actually split the "explanation" portion off into its own separate show. You'll see snippets during the end credits of each episode that show like full production values on the filmed explanation stuff, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere online.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

GuavaMoment posted:

Huh, well I'm the exact opposite I suppose. I love everyone in Season 3, and even my least favorite cast members are pretty high in my book. And I find the Chinese Crime Scene cast tacky and annoying -- especially Sa and Gui. I also dislike that Sa and He (both TV show hosts by trade) tend to dominate all of the episodes while everyone just kinda follows along.

I was also never a fan of thread favorite Hani from season 2 -- I also found her kinda annoying and useless (in terms of her outbursts; she was fine investigation-wise). Same with Dongmin -- I found his antics unfunny and equally irritating. And as much as I'm obligated to be a Starcraft/Brood War and therefore Jinho fan, I also felt he was one of the weaker cast members for this type of show -- I don't think he ever got 'into' the story, and he was always just playing to win. To contrast this, I feel like an example of Jinho's foil is Kim in S3E03 ('gameplay so bad it threw everyone off') -- felt like he was trying less to win, and more to stay in-character as someone shady as gently caress, which I personally found hilarious and entertaining to watch.

Maybe I just have weird opinions.

qbert posted:

I think what happened is they actually split the "explanation" portion off into its own separate show. You'll see snippets during the end credits of each episode that show like full production values on the filmed explanation stuff, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere online.

I don't think there is. I think the explanation skit is just an explanation skit -- given how shameless they are at plugging everything and anything on that show, if there were another explanation show, they'd definitely say something to the effect of 'please watch the full story <here>'. And they definitely don't do that (I understand Chinese (and yes, the subtitles can get 'alternate storyline' levels of bad) and can confirm they're not missing subtitles for their plugs or anything.)

Fake edit: Oh he originally asked about Chinese Crime Scene season 2, which I hadn't watched. The Crime Scene playlist has some 'Crime Scene Rewind' episodes, which seem to be for Season 2 only ('第二季' is 'season 2'). Didn't really watch any of it thoroughly but it seems half-story, half-behind-the-scenes. Looks like no subtitles, sadly.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

facepalmolive posted:

I also dislike that Sa and He (both TV show hosts by trade) tend to dominate all of the episodes while everyone just kinda follows along.

I don't think Jinho ever got 'into' the story, and he was always just playing to win.

I like He because he's Jang Jin if Jang was more fun. It's obvious the guy is really smart and charismatic (and mostly the only hope of solving the murder). Sa is basically Chinese Dongmin and great because of it. I also find Gui annoying, but somehow really entertaining at the same time. You are right though that everyone else is various shades of 'meh'.

There were rare occasions where Jinho got really into things that were great episodes, like when he was the pervert photographer at the beauty pageant murder.

I skimmed through those recap episodes, but it wasn't murder recap, it looked like investigation recap or deleted scenes and stuff. And not in a language I understand.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Jinho got into the story plenty of the times, he just stuck with the game aspect of it mostly because that is what the dude is comfortable with, not necessary because of his lust for winning (he does like winning though)

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I'm assuming that one guy who said he had contacted ITV about the Genius format in England came back empty.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, not calling out Jinho for being an anti-fun tryhard or anything; the dude clearly enjoys figuring out games and game systems and that's just the type of person he is. I just also happened to think that the cast members getting in-character made the show more fun to watch.

I enjoyed the 'endorphins' episode, etc., but it always felt he'd act in-character as a part of his trolling and humor rather than, I dunno, someone fully embracing his character. Felt like he was a contestant first who happened to act in-character sometimes, rather than a role-player that happened to compete in a game show. Again, I still love the dude and don't blame him for it; what I'm saying is he'd probably be more successful on a show that was actually about the competition than Crime Scene turned out to be.

GuavaMoment posted:

I like He because he's Jang Jin if Jang was more fun.

Sorry, yeah I liked He, too, in Chinese Crime Scene. Probably my favorite cast member out of a generally weak cast. He had a sense of humor and was very competent, all without being obnoxious. I don't dislike him personally; I just thought He and Sa's dominant personalities were bad for the show, which is more a fail in direction/editing more than anything else. The two were so dominant -- even when someone else was playing the detective -- that when they were the murderers, they just had rest of the contestants wrapped around their fingers.

Korean Crime Scene did a much better job giving everyone their time in the limelight.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Episode 5 now subbed. http://www.ondemandkorea.com/crime-scene-3-e5.html

And next week... Dong Min returns!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

facepalmolive posted:

To contrast this, I feel like an example of Jinho's foil is Kim in S3E03 ('gameplay so bad it threw everyone off') -- felt like he was trying less to win, and more to stay in-character as someone shady as gently caress, which I personally found hilarious and entertaining to watch.

Usually when some key incriminating evidence is discovered the accused immediately opens up to everyone. We discussed about this on this thread before that there seems to be an internal rule that says the players should try to hide these things as much as possible (in the first half of the show they have to be quiet about it). But in this instance Kim got flustered and didn't reveal his story to anyone for too long after they found the evidence, he only told it to the detective a bit later. It really did seem like he took so long because he was making up a story.

So yeah, I don't know, I can't see this as him playing the character, because it involved such a game specific thing.

And just to add some more contrarian's opinions about the show: sometimes I don't enjoy the acting, I feel like they overdo it a bit sometimes. Maybe I just got more used to it now but I remember it being a little annoying in S2.

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 29, 2017

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
About this week's episode.

Without that final evidence it really could go to the mother or Jin Star. I thought it was Jin Star because he had a way bigger motive.

The director had some gambling thing that never came up, I was curious to know what was that about.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

About this week's episode.

The director had some gambling thing that never came up, I was curious to know what was that about.

The only context was that it was the result of his downward spiral after the "accidental" death he was a party to.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I don't know what it is about this season of Crime Scene, but I find myself being really bored by it.

It may be the subbing, may be the cast, but I am just not into it as much as I was in season 2.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
The last episode was my favorite of the season so far. There's been a few I've really enjoyed/got the chills with this season. Eun-ji doesn't really do much for me, but I think everybody else has been solid.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Jinho coming back to Crime Scene starting ep 8 for the rest of the season.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Last episode continued the trend of hilarity (Jang Jin was enjoying the gently caress out of his role and milking it for what it's worth) with a dash of didn't-see-that-coming ('hahaha his lovely art looks like Kim Il-Sung... oh.').

As a side note, how can Kim be so good, yet so bad?

qbert posted:

:swoon:

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

qbert posted:

Hey, I haven't caught up on Crime Scene yet, but now I guess I have to!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Regarding Ep 7

"I've never seen my own sperm." may be the funniest moment in the history of Crime Scene.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Chinese Crime Scene can be so good and so bad at the exact same time.

S2 Ep 4: I kind of enjoy the off-the-wall fantasy murders like the mermaid one because the rules are set out at the beginning that there are fantasy rules in play. I also like hard science and forensics like this episode started out as. How did the killer lock the door from the wrong side? Let's find out! Oh look at those goofballs, claiming that guy is an 800 year old golem or something from the era of Genghis Khan. What a funny joke!

Oh he is an 800 year old golem or something. Aaaaand he's the murderer. What the gently caress, China.
I uh, kind of need a recap for this episode.

S2 Ep 5: Now here's a good episode. I'm a little unclear of motives due to poor translations, but then the forensics just perfectly nail someone to the wall at the 11th hour and you feel satisfied, even without a recap. That doesn't happen often enough.

The trailer for S2E06 looks like they're in space, and everyone's a robot or something. I wish the Korean version would on occasion get that crazy.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Chinese Crime Scene S2 definitely doubles down on the crazy concepts. I think it nicely differentiates it from the Korean version.

Wait till you get to the mansion 2-parter that starts off like a haunted house story and turns into an redux of that John Cusack film Identity .

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

qbert posted:

Regarding Ep 7

"I've never seen my own sperm." may be the funniest moment in the history of Crime Scene.

I'm behind and I just watched episode 7. Maaan, Yang really killed it with this character.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Finally finished up all four seasons of The Genius. One of the best TV shows I've seen in a long time, and tough to say whether itd be replicable in the west. Sangmin probably my favorite character of all four seasons, his comedic moments were amazing.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Season 1 Sangmin was the best by far! I mean obviously Jinho and Dongmin are both amazing too but the hilarity of Sangmin's constant deceptions never got old.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

tbp posted:

Finally finished up all four seasons of The Genius. One of the best TV shows I've seen in a long time, and tough to say whether itd be replicable in the west. Sangmin probably my favorite character of all four seasons, his comedic moments were amazing.

I'm glad you enjoyed it fellow footy poster.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Crime Scene Episode 9:

http://www.ondemandkorea.com/crime-scene-3-e9.html

Hahah, oh man. Only half way through this episode and Dong Min is at his best and it somehow keeps getting better. Definitely one to check out.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Society Game season 2 is coming sometime soon-ish, it seems, and its cast includes real entertainers this time unlike season 1.

Oh also Dongmin is in it, I guess.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Dragonatrix posted:

Society Game season 2 is coming sometime soon-ish, it seems, and its cast includes real entertainers this time unlike season 1.

Oh also Dongmin is in it, I guess.

Holy poo poo. I wanna see Dongmin do those physical challenges.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Anaconda Rifle posted:

Holy poo poo. I wanna see Dongmin do those physical challenges.

Yeah, if it's got Dongmin I'll put in the time and properly check it out instead of only kinda tuning in to society game S1. I wonder how he'll manage to make himself Emperor of his team despite the team presumably knowing about his capabilities.

I better catch back up with Crime Scene too after tuning out around ep 4 or 5 of S3.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I liked S1 and am much more excited for S2 now.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
So have you ever had one of those cosmic coincidences? I love me some IDIOTAPE after hearing their music in The Genius. Recently I've been watching a lot of synthesizer demo videos on youtube (trying to find some references for music I am making), and this video popped up in a random sidebar for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofn2A1p13Sg

I started watching it because it looked amusing based on the name and description. At 1:06 my mind was instantly blown, when I heard a very familiar "This is Rock and Roll". It's the thing that IDIOTAPE sampled in the Genius opening, Melodie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emoadwiK4TM&t=208s.

Anyways, I felt the need to share this with anyone who might care besides me. Also, in other IDIOTAPE news, they have a new single. It's more of the same, which is to say, I like it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W6HIPKX2nY

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Tweeted without context. Presumably the cast of Society Game season 2.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Our Queen has returned.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i stopped following this thread because i stopped watching society game so huh apparently there is crime scene 3 and i watched episode 1 last night.

i've expressed it before but i do sometimes wish that they would be a bit more up-front about the actual "rules" of the acting and discovery since there's often like extremely crucial evidence on someone's phone or inside their pockets.

"you can only search people and drill into backstories in the second half of the show" seems like a reasonable assumption but i wish they would just tell us what's going on because that's sort of lamesauce.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Dias posted:

Our Queen has returned.

Will she and Dongmin team up?

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
I didn't watch Society Game S1 because it seemed a little too far on the Survivor scale to my tastes, but maybe I should.

However I was a big fan of Lee Junseok from The Genius. Dude seemed smart, if not a bit of a dick (but in a clever and entertaining kind of way, so I can hardly blame him). I will admit that he has an extremely punchable face, though.

I'm fully expecting Dongmin to sniff out the alphas of the group and team up with them, and for Junseok to poo poo in their Cheerios. I might be more interested in Season 2 just because there are some familiar faces to root for.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xgbZTK3bME

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Dongmin sadly suffering nicotine withdrawals will be worth the price of admission.

MJ alone is also worth the price of admission.

So stoked for season 2.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Also, it's nice to see that Bumdi enjoyed Persona 5 :3:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So I'm watching through season 1 right now, and did the fansub people change it around to avoid copyright strikes or is like 50% of the soundtrack the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
nah, korean tv show producers just have good taste in music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Korean TV has a sweetheart deal with licensing soundtracks from literally everything