Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I picked up a bottle of Redemption Rye to experiment with. I have decided that Manhattans (or rather… anything vermouth ) is not my thing.

This does have a bit of rye bread taste. Do ries really taste so much different from corn whiskeys, or is this my drunken expectations giving me some form of placebo effect?

NB: I have never had straight rye before today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Missing Name posted:

I picked up a bottle of Redemption Rye to experiment with. I have decided that Manhattans (or rather… anything vermouth ) is not my thing.

What vermouth were you using, and how long had it been open? A different vermouth might change your mind.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Fresh bottle of Tribuno sweet. It's what my parents stock. They gave me my first Manhattan at 12 and I nearly barfed. I tried a few variants over the past week and none have clicked. Brandy, scotch, Irish whiskey, Bourbon and rye. I haven't puked after any of these but it's not a flavor that I agree with.

The straight rye is delicious.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ryes taste very different from corn whiskeys and are imo far superior.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Ryes taste very different from corn whiskeys and are imo far superior.

QTIYD. The only problem I have with rye is that it seems like the majority of it is still from the same distillery with different brands slapped on it. So I have only ever bought Wild Turkey and Rittenhouse.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Jamsta posted:

Please do, let us know which whisk(ies) you chose.

IMO, doesn't taste as good. Yup: handling the heat in fudge making is the hardest bit. So easy to over/under cook, and burn the sugar. But when it works it's amazing.

Okay! So the fudge definitely doesn't suck, haha. Had to boil it twice to get it to set. For anyone thinking of making this, make sure to let it cool to 115 - 110 degrees before beating like hell. I tried to mix while it was still hot and it wouldn't set. Boiled again and then let it cool and it thickened right up.

Had to substitute regular sugar for Castor sugar, and went with heavy whipping cream. Ultimately made it with Buffalo Trace. Only other open bottle of bourbon was Russels Reserve, and wasn't brave enough to try Caol Ila or Aberlour Abunadh.

After the success of this batch I'll most definitely be trying different whiskies. I'll also probably adding some candied pecans to a batch as well.

Edit: the remnants:https://imgur.com/a/gjEp0 (doesnt look like much, but tastes amazing).

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 11, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I want some.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

22 Eargesplitten posted:

QTIYD. The only problem I have with rye is that it seems like the majority of it is still from the same distillery with different brands slapped on it. So I have only ever bought Wild Turkey and Rittenhouse.

You mean MGP?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Finally got my first Rye, the easily found Bulleit Rye.

As a sweet tooth I didn't like it as much as their bourbon until adding water. This is the first whisky in 50 I've tried that adding water significantly changed the whisky from being just alright to pretty good for a budget bottle. It took much of the heat and bitterness out and was left with a softer flavorful rye.

Can anyone recommend a mellow next-step for Rye - or am I missing the point of them?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Edit: the remnants:https://imgur.com/a/gjEp0 (doesnt look like much, but tastes amazing).

Good work sir. Having a fast accurate thermometer is key. Gotta make sure the center of the mixture his 115c, not the pan base or sides, or it'll be undercooked (still soft) or overcooked (hard). The window for fudge crystalization is small. Probably the harder part of fudge making.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm also gonna try the fudge recipe. Probably with some condensed milk in there as well for good measure. Haven't decided on the whisky yet, probably JW double black or maybe campbeltown loch

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jamsta posted:

Can anyone recommend a mellow next-step for Rye - or am I missing the point of them?

I'm not following your journey nor am I super experienced with lots of rye, only a few, but I really like WT rye.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

wormil posted:

I'm not following your journey nor am I super experienced with lots of rye, only a few, but I really like WT rye.

That's a decent price here in Blighty too, I'll give that a go - cheers.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I'd suggest Jefferson's Straight Rye or Whistle Pig, diluted, for a "mellow" rye.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

kidsafe posted:

I'd suggest Jefferson's Straight Rye or Whistle Pig, diluted, for a "mellow" rye.

How much do they go for in the States? Whistle Pig is $89 + delivery here.

e: I just used Google, a bit cheaper.

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 13, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got some of that Red Breast Irish whiskey that one of the goons was talking about a while ago, the basic 12 year stuff, its quite good!

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Jamsta posted:

Finally got my first Rye, the easily found Bulleit Rye.

As a sweet tooth I didn't like it as much as their bourbon until adding water. This is the first whisky in 50 I've tried that adding water significantly changed the whisky from being just alright to pretty good for a budget bottle. It took much of the heat and bitterness out and was left with a softer flavorful rye.

The crown royal rye is actually fairly good and very easy drinking as ryes go. Pretty cheap too.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

cryme posted:

The crown royal rye is actually fairly good and very easy drinking as ryes go. Pretty cheap too.

Yeah I don't care for most Crown Royal (as anything beyond your basic mixing whisky), but the Northern Harvest is decent.

CC 100% rye is nice, too.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

cryme posted:

Yeah it was surprisingly good.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Didn't it win best rye in Dave Broom's 2016 whisk(e)y book or something?

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

It did, "World Whiskey of the Year" it wasn't stacked up against a few other big categories. I think it's well done, but it's been a while since I had it. It's a great value rye, only a couple buck more than regular Crown Royal.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah I don't care for most Crown Royal (as anything beyond your basic mixing whisky), but the Northern Harvest is decent.

CC 100% rye is nice, too.

Northern Harvest is really solid, if straightforward. I wanted to hate it after the Jim Murray bullshit but I just couldn't.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Vox Nihili posted:

Northern Harvest is really solid, if straightforward. I wanted to hate it after the Jim Murray bullshit but I just couldn't.

Yeah, the only real problem I had with it was the bandwagoning after it was released, and I couldn't find a bottle of it at all at any LCBO for 6 months.

I instead drowned my sorrows with some of Wiser's upper-tier stuff. They're not full rye whiskies, but they're usually rich enough. I prefer them to most bourbons I try since I like a fuller, richer flavour over the delicateness of bourbon.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hey Whiskey thread
I've been drinking a bunch of knob creek and bulleit whiskey lately but I'm wondering what should I graduate to?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

I picked up a bottle today because of the chatter in here and I agree, this is a really solid rye. Redemption is still my go to when I want that rye spice but northern harvest is still a nice surprise.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Lawman 0 posted:

Hey Whiskey thread
I've been drinking a bunch of knob creek and bulleit whiskey lately but I'm wondering what should I graduate to?

Four Roses Single Barrel

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Hey guys, do we have a distilling thread, or is this really the place to ask?

My boyfriend and I have been brewing beer in the Grainfather for a while now, but we have all the attachments to distill and we wanted to get started on some whiskey. He's thinking about starting with something corn-based, but I think we'd be open to a lot of ideas. Do you guys have any favourite recipes? Most everything we've read is just a very simple combo of cracked corn and sugar, which is great if that's fine, but we'd be interested in hearing about more complex recipes as well. He's kind of interested in making something that will be a reasonably drinkable moonshine pre-aging, but I think I'm more fascinated by the aging process.

Any favourite books, guides? I'm fascinated by this whole thing. We've made loads of delicious beer and I feel like I know what it takes to make a great beer, but whiskey is still kind of shrouded in mystery for me. What makes one whiskey so much better than another? Can you really make a great whiskey just by aging it with some oak cubes?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Years back I was going to build a still and there is a lot of information available once you start looking but I never did it. Too many hobbies already and honestly it was going to cost more to make than buy. I guess what I'm trying to say is it is quite possible and not all that difficult, there are books on the subject. Living in NC, real moonshine is not difficult to find but quality varies tremendously. A really well done white corn spirit is surprisingly nice to drink.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My daughter is making the bourbon fudge recipe for Father's Day. I grabbed a bottle of Elijah Craig for it. My first choice was Buffalo Trace but there was none to be found, third choice would have been Evan William 1783 which is my go-to cooking bourbon. I also strongly considered OGD100 and Fighting Cock as both are sweeter bourbons.

edit; we are bad at making fudge. The first time it didn't get hot enough and wouldn't thicken so we reheated and maybe got it too hot or cooked too long and it turned into a dense candy; not fudge but not caramel. Flavor is amazing though.

wormil fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 18, 2017

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
Important whiskey question:

My friend has a pretty impressive whiskey collection and she loves having a small glass each night, but she has given it up while trying to get pregnant. I can tell she really misses it (and will have to abstain for at least 1-2 years if she conceives). Is there any alternative you guys know of or have tried? A similar tasting drink or an alcohol-free version would really cheer her up; I can tell she misses it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Queen Gnome posted:

Important whiskey question:

My friend has a pretty impressive whiskey collection and she loves having a small glass each night, but she has given it up while trying to get pregnant. I can tell she really misses it (and will have to abstain for at least 1-2 years if she conceives). Is there any alternative you guys know of or have tried? A similar tasting drink or an alcohol-free version would really cheer her up; I can tell she misses it.

She really just has to abstain for the duration of the pregnancy. having a small glass right after a bedtime feeding won't get any measurable amount of alcohol into the breast milk by the next feeding.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
What flavors does she prefer in whisky? If she's a drinker of Islay Scotches, try her on Lapsang Souchong tea.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Short answer, no. Anything else is a poor substitute for the real thing and won't scratch that itch. It's best to go cold turkey.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gravitee posted:

Short answer, no. Anything else is a poor substitute for the real thing and won't scratch that itch. It's best to go cold turkey.

I strongly hope that was on purpose.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I've been pregnant a couple of times so I know the feeling. You don't get to have any fun (No hot tubs! No deli meat! No sushi! No alcohol!) but at least it's temporary. The first glass afterwards tastes sooo good!

In hope she gets pregnant soon and you can present her with a whiskey born the same year as her child so she can crack it open when the kid turns 18.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gravitee posted:

In hope she gets pregnant soon and you can present her with a whiskey born the same year as her child so she can crack it open when the kid turns 18.

That's a nice thought but whisk(e)y doesn't age in the bottle so you'll still be drinking white lightning 18 years later.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Good point. Well you can get a really nice baby shower gift for her then.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
A nice single barrel from that year still sounds like a good gift.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
After EC12 took off the age statement I got annoyed and quit buying but I've been having some today and I think it may actually have improved. Now I always liked EC12 and considered it a benchmark, and I'm going from memory so I could be full of poo poo but it's less sweet than I remember, a little more fiery, more balanced than ever. I'm digging it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

wormil posted:

After EC12 took off the age statement I got annoyed and quit buying but I've been having some today and I think it may actually have improved. Now I always liked EC12 and considered it a benchmark, and I'm going from memory so I could be full of poo poo but it's less sweet than I remember, a little more fiery, more balanced than ever. I'm digging it.

Most folks say the main difference is that it's less oaky now. Otherwise it's the same thing, just ~9 years old rather than ~12.

You can still find the occasional bottle with the back age statement, could be worth doing a side-by-side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Vox Nihili posted:

Most folks say the main difference is that it's less oaky now. Otherwise it's the same thing, just ~9 years old rather than ~12.

You can still find the occasional bottle with the back age statement, could be worth doing a side-by-side.

It's not as good