Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/gabbomatic/status/873330557123534849

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Said the character who has literally no idea what's going on in the rest of the world. I'm sure he'll change his tune once he understands what's up.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to Eren's whole story being the most elaborate Villain's Origin Story ever made.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 10, 2017

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

That's the Marleyan spirit we need to see, warrior.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Kitiara posted:

My theory is that there is no genetic difference between Marleyans and Eldians and both can titan-shift just fine. The whole thing about Eldians being titan monsters is just propaganda from Marley. In reality they just use the Eldians as titan cannon fodder because they can.

Kreuger is our most reliable source of Titan science and he said only Eldians can become titan. Can't see why they wouldn't just eradicate the Eldians if anyone could become titans.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'd like to point out that the attributes of the 'Jaw' titan appear to be:

- Small size
- Claws
- A strong/sharp bite

While larger than Ymir, Galliard is very much on the smaller side of the titan shifters, and the particular appearance of his armored claws and mouth/face could be the result of intaking 'Armored' formula and being either well trained or very compatible with it. We know this is possible because that's what Eren did, and with training he developed the ability to create armored fists to fight Reiner. Likewise, we have another example of size/shape variability between shifters of the same power, if you compare Grisha to Eren or the Owl.

Annie and Zeke likely got their hardening ability from ingesting 'Armor', too, if we follow this logic.

So while Ymir might've been a far less impressive Jaw, we shouldn't be assuming it was Isayama failing to plan ahead, and also not take the bloodline theory as some kind of absolute, either. As far as we can tell, as long as you're (part) Eldian you're eligible to be a shifter, and that's probably a binary rather than some kind of LotR-like 'diluted blood of numenor' deal.

I can't wait for the chapter that explains bloodlines, it's the new biggest mystery since the Basement reveal. And if only non-Eldians are immune to the mind-wipe effects, doesn't that mean Marleyans (or some other faction) joined the king when they formed the walls? Can Eren please tap into the first king's memories already and answer these questions??

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Wow I didn't expect the timeskip to be this long. I can't wait for it to get back to the island now to see the changes

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Seeing this bloodline chatter makes me feel way better about the post I made a little while ago about my confusion over how taking on titan forms actually worked... mainly because this means I didn't misunderstand too much of the complexities of the plot, considering I've been reading in spurts over the past couple years and can't keep all of the info together. I still have no idea what storylines took place in some of the "arcs" you guys talk about.

Nina posted:

Wow I didn't expect the timeskip to be this long. I can't wait for it to get back to the island now to see the changes
Considering the suspicion that we've seen Eren, I don't think we're going back to the island for a while and it's entirely possible we don't ever go back. They allude to the idea that for 4 years they've sent ships and the ships have been destroyed but I think it's just as possible Eren and Armin have been picking them up, shaking people out, and hoarding the ships for themselves.... while also interrogating the crews to understand Marley better.
Thinking on it even further, Marley knows about the equipment the Paradisi (is that what we're calling them?) developed in order to kill titans, so when you consider the idea that they could provide those titans to the Eldian holdouts that Marley is currently fighting (I'm getting that right, right? That circular city/base were Eldians?) then that's a fun time for Marley to get scared of.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 10, 2017

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

DaveKap posted:

I'm getting that right, right? That circular city/base were Eldians?

No, it was a military base belonging to a union of countries in the Not Middle East (while Marley controls Not Europe and Not Africa). The Eldians have already been defeated and all live in ghettos inside Marley (or possibly even just the one ghetto Grisha and all the shifters are from).

The geopolitical situation seems to be that Marley is still the dominant world power but every other country hates them (presumably because they've been on a conquering spree). They're in an increasingly difficult position since they rely on the titans more than everyone else and modern artillery > titans. This will be even worse the moment war planes become a thing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I feel like the rest of the world would still hate marley either way considering their primary source of military power is giant cannibals that eat people alive

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Eren as the villain is especially interesting because of his internal monologue about possibly eating Historia and taking full control of the coordinate.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Eren/Armin becoming the villains and Reiner/Zeke becoming the series protagonists would be hilarious.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Far fetched, but what if Reiners dad was the Eldian double agent? His dad not really Marlian, but a traitor the entire time? (Which neatly resolves the half blood question)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I'm too lazy to do the math and re-read. Did the Marleyans have the titular attack titan at the time of Reinhardt's childhood flashback or was it missing then?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you mean reiner then no, the owl had already passed the attack titan on to grisha by then. that happened before grisha had even met eren's mother, so there's no point in which reiner can be around and marley can have the attack titan at the same time

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

comedyblissoption posted:

I'm too lazy to do the math and re-read. Did the Marleyans have the titular attack titan at the time of Reinhardt's childhood flashback or was it missing then?

By all indications, Marley never managed to seize the Attack Titan during whatever insurrection that led to the formation of their modern state, as no mention is ever made of them losing it at any point. Now, as to whether they thought it had fled to Paradis with King Fritz or they knew it was still loose in the mainland, we don't know.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Can someone take the panel of Eren saying "I hope something interesting happens today" and then put it right next to or above his mom being eaten and/or wall shattering?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm guessing that needing to be of Eldian descent at all is the only requirement for Titanification, and the Bloodline thing is that specific families work better with specific titan types so if you're descended from that family you get a cooler version of that Titan. However all Titans end up getting a little of the human that goes into them in their appearance, hence why you can map titan faces to human faces.

Also probably taking different Titan juices gives you the different Titan powers, again with certain Bloodlines being better for different juices. Eren could probably get all the juices and have the most messed up titan ever because it'd have variously useful versions of every Titan power, which would admittedly have been a hilarious storyline. Eren vs the Titan Masters for their Titan Powers

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Well, the end game is eating Zeke to gain control of the Coordinate.

Or the other way around.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Oh yeah, Zeke has Fritz blood right

Cannibalistic patricide and fratricide drat

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Alternatively, I saw a theory that the reason Eren has cut off his leg and blended in with the traumatized soldiers is that it is likely the hospital where they're going is actually a facility that will give them a dose of Zeke's spinal fluid in preparation for titanization. After all, they can't fight for Marley anymore because they're all crippled, emotionally or physically, and it's mentioned that they have no relatives who would miss them, so they're prime candidates for titanization. If Eren found this out, either through spying or from Armin who has inherited Bertolt's memories, then maybe he hopes he can get injected with Zeke's spinal fluid and gain full access to the Coordinate without having to eat Zeke.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

In It For The Tank posted:

Alternatively, I saw a theory that the reason Eren has cut off his leg and blended in with the traumatized soldiers is that it is likely the hospital where they're going is actually a facility that will give them a dose of Zeke's spinal fluid in preparation for titanization. After all, they can't fight for Marley anymore because they're all crippled, emotionally or physically, and it's mentioned that they have no relatives who would miss them, so they're prime candidates for titanization.

Yeah, those veterans are 100% becoming titans.

I'm not sold on your theory, mostly because I don't know (and Eren likely doesn't know) if being injected with his brother's serum would actually give him those abilities.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 10, 2017

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

HoneyBoy posted:

Oh yeah, Zeke has Fritz blood right

Cannibalistic patricide and fratricide drat

Eren intentionally devouring his last blood relative seems the most spot on for this series dramatic irony, especially now that reiner seems to be adding to the whole family/bloodlines theme. I wonder if his dad is a factor in him not getting canned post-paradise failure.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if we're going to continue the parallel, maybe eren will offer to save reiner's niece by bringing her to paradis to that kid that wanted to save her

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
My boy Eren will kill all those bastards that live on the other side of the sea.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Lamebot posted:

My boy Eren will get captured by all those bastards that live on the other side of the sea and Mikasa will kill all those bastards that live on the other side of the sea.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Balthesar posted:

Eren as the villain is especially interesting because of his internal monologue about possibly eating Historia and taking full control of the coordinate.

That was a misprint Isayama actually apologized about. He just has to touch a titanized Fritz, not consume.

I do love that the first thing that apparently comes to Reiner's mind, living on Paradis with the enemy, is Sasha's infamous potato moment :allears: And that he had to cover his mouth to hide his smile before he started talking ...And that he spins it into a tale fitting the supposed wickedness of those demon eldians in need of extermination, lest they invade with their potato-stealing ways and starve out the Great Empire of Marley.

And maybe it's always been this way, or since he/his aids have gotten better at art, but this chapter really made me take notice of the excellent use of communication through facial expressions. Frickin'.... reminds me of Jojo, or something, man. Reiner's forlorn expression before his tortured expression while concluding that his days spent with his comrades--fellow soldiers--were truly hellish, albeit for a reason the rest of the group may not realize.... I think spending enough time over island-side with his atrocities for him to dissociate into his Soldier personality did a lot to undo the brainwashing most of y'all seem to think this chapter has Reiner as Confirmed 4 Lyfe.

Reiner's mom's look also reminded me of Grisha's parents' when they learned that he hosed up and got his sister killed. That horrified "what are you saying/what did you do" look, before she starts her spiel to Gabi and then meaningfully looks at Reiner. Also, him being "abandoned" if my translation is right, makes me think that was another Rod Reiss thing scenario--like, he could have legitimized them, or at least Reiner, but chose not to. Wonder when it's gonna be his "it'd be better if I'd never been born" turn. :geno:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, those veterans are 100% becoming titans.

Seems plausible. Makes me wonder why Marley bothers dumping criminal Eldians on Paradis when they could be weaponizing them instead.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I think until recently Marley's supremacy was uncontested, so there was no need for it. It was only following the loss of two shifters (Annie and Bertolt) that the Middle East Union was emboldened enough to challenge Marley.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Releasing masses of mindless titans outside of Paradis would've been a pain for them to deal with too. Until they discovered Zeke has coordinate-lite. They probably stopped wasting criminal Eldians after that.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 11, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Mountaineer posted:

Seems plausible. Makes me wonder why Marley bothers dumping criminal Eldians on Paradis when they could be weaponizing them instead.

Owl explained it was done on purpose to terrorize the Walldians, as having a sizable population of wild titans outside their walls would further confine the people inside them. He also admits it actually got out of hand, and now it was an obstacle towards exploiting the island's natural resources and infiltrating the Walls. Politicians have no foresight :shrug:

But as previously mentioned, this was before Zeke C&C abilities were discovered.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

E-flat posted:

That was a misprint Isayama actually apologized about. He just has to touch a titanized Fritz, not consume.
That's a loving crazy-rear end giant misprint that will gently caress people up if they don't read fixed versions or see the news anywhere. drat.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also probably taking different Titan juices gives you the different Titan powers, again with certain Bloodlines being better for different juices. Eren could probably get all the juices and have the most messed up titan ever because it'd have variously useful versions of every Titan power, which would admittedly have been a hilarious storyline. Eren vs the Titan Masters for their Titan Powers

The manga was secretly a megaman game this whole time.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"I apologize for making Eren’s ideas suddenly sound insane and therefore confusing the readers.”

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm guessing that needing to be of Eldian descent at all is the only requirement for Titanification, and the Bloodline thing is that specific families work better with specific titan types so if you're descended from that family you get a cooler version of that Titan. However all Titans end up getting a little of the human that goes into them in their appearance, hence why you can map titan faces to human faces.

I still think this is where the story is going, as Eren eventually collects all the other titan powers and puts the progenitor one back together again.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If Eren eats the Beast Titan do you think he'll get to choose which form he transforms into or will he become a hybrid of the attack and beast titans?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Balthesar posted:

If Eren eats the Beast Titan do you think he'll get to choose which form he transforms into or will he become a hybrid of the attack and beast titans?

we already know the answer to that since eren has the attack and coordinator. he'd be a hybrid of the three

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
In chapter 89, Eren Kruger mentions Mikasa and Armin but doesn't seem to know where the memories are coming from. Either Eren Jaeger is misremembering that part or the memories can go back in time. If the latter is the case, then possibly the reason that the royal family members with the Founding titan have the memories of the past and the future. Kruger did say that these "paths of light" carry memories and they all pass through the Founding titan. The memories are possibly divorced from time.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

theCalamity posted:

In chapter 89, Eren Kruger mentions Mikasa and Armin but doesn't seem to know where the memories are coming from. Either Eren Jaeger is misremembering that part or the memories can go back in time. If the latter is the case, then possibly the reason that the royal family members with the Founding titan have the memories of the past and the future. Kruger did say that these "paths of light" carry memories and they all pass through the Founding titan. The memories are possibly divorced from time.

Reminder that the series opens with a prophetic dream.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
to you 2000 years from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

HoneyBoy posted:

to you 2000 years from now